Mineral makeup users ... how often to wash your brushes

In a perfect world, I wash them once a month. But it's usually more like every 6 - 8 weeks. I know it's time to wash them when I put on my foundation/mineral veil and my makeup doesn't look good, you know what I mean? First thing in the morning, makeup should be at it's prime, but when my brushes are dirty, my makeup doesn't look good.

I use baby shampoo. I run water over the brush and put shampoo on it, squish it around in my hand and rinse. I repeat that process until the brush is clear of all makeup.

HTH!!

Another ditto what Erin said! I just washed mine this morning, as a matter of fact! I usually use shampoo, but this morning I just used my Olay face wash to wash the brushes. Just love mineral makeup...:)

I don't think I wash my brushes as often as I should. How often are you supposed to wash your makeup brushes? What is your method?

I use mineral makeup and I use the sephora brush wash that comes in a spray. I wash them once a week. I spray the bristles with the spray then kind of smush it into a paper towel and once it gets a little clearer, I rinse it with water, shake it out and let it sit on a paper towel until it's dry. - Autumn

Probably not often enough!

Pretty much when I think they need it (like if there's too much color on them).

I use either baby shampoo, or Larénim's brush cleanser.

I'm a daily makeup wearer so I wash mine at least once a month or so. I think it's supposed to be much more often. I have a friend who is a makeup artist who is a huge fan of brush cleaning! I use the special Bare Escentuals brush shampoo. However, I've noticed that my Buki brush is starting to shed so I'm wondering if I'm washing too often or not drying them correctly.

I don't have a set time. Usually it's when the make up starts go on different -- it's time. I don't wear make up everyday though.

So....I went to Nordrom's today and visited the MAC Counter to buy a new blush brush. Happened to ask the gal there how often should you typically clean your brushes? She said "I clean mine every 2 weeks or so" She also sold me a cleaning solution by Mac that cleans your brush without rinsing with water. Brought that too! SUCKER.....

HTML:
Ick!! You are supposed to wash those things? LOL I've never washed mine!!  You know what I'm doing this weekend!!!!

You're too funny Melanie! Yeah....hope the brush washing is going well.....just remember.....Bacteria, Bacteria, Bacteria!

Last edited:
Faith, how did you quote that post? It's showing up in a way I've never seen on the forums before.

(FYI: to quote a post, just hit "quote" in the bottom right-hand corner of the post. ;))

Faith, how did you quote that post? It's showing up in a way I've never seen on the forums before.

(FYI: to quote a post, just hit "quote" in the bottom right-hand corner of the post. ;))

Thanks Kathryn......That was easy! .......(the EZ Quote instructions)..........Hmmmmm....lets see, I used the "Wrap HTML tags around selected text" option at the top of the "message box" on the right hand side. :p

Ick!! You are supposed to wash those things? LOL I've never washed mine!! :eek::eek: You know what I'm doing this weekend!!!!

You know, when I first read this my first thought was "Oh great, another thing I have to clean." I was way too embarrassed to admit that washing them had never even crossed my mind!:eek:

You know, when I first read this my first thought was "Oh great, another thing I have to clean." I was way too embarrassed to admit that washing them had never even crossed my mind!:eek:

IMO, washing them for hygienic purposes is less crucial than washing brushes used with liquid makeup, if you start on a clean face. I think mineral makeup in general (except maybe some with cornstarch in) is pretty bacteria resistant, so the main reason for washing them would be to get them clean of colors/stains. Or maybe if you have really oily skin, to the point that even after washing your face, you have a lot of oil (that could breed bacteria, though the normal acid mantle of our skin is supposed to help protect us against bacteria, so maybe not?)

For some reason, I find it necessary to share my faults (and stupidities) with others. :confused:

I have yet to find time to wash them brushes, then again.....I haven't found the time to put make up on in a couple of months either. :p

I have never washed my brushes and probably have been using mineral foundation for over a year now. Guess I better go home and wash it, huh?

Did I just gross all of you out? LMAO!!!

I'm with Jann, I just wash mine with shampoo or liquid hand soap when I notice a difference in how it goes on. I don't wear makeup every day either (especially in the winter). When I do it's usually just foundation.

I wash mine about once a month or so when I ran across a how to video on youtube. Before that, I didnt wash them at all.

carmen.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.