Lifting like girls

Justine..22 sets of 6??? That would wear me out if it was 5#!!! Geeze, if that was waiting for me I might sleep in!! Karen, D.C. sounds like a blast as long as you DON'T have to run the half marathon!! If I fell out of bed into the splits, there would be TWO of me (each with one leg)! Roz, as usual you are a workout ninja!! That's a lot of sets! Lisa, YOU said "pushy broads" NOT ME!!! I know what ya'll are capable of!!! I don't think I've earned the "lift like a girl" wardrobe yet after following the exploits of all of you! Today I did double chest and back. I did a 10 set pyramid bench series followed by 2 sets of pushups. By the time I was done with bench, my two sets of pushups were 18 and 15...I was really fried I guess. Then I decided since I have been fighting elbow tendonitis for awhile, I would do several shorter sets of chin ups and see if it helped. I did 6 sets of 5 chins and gotta say that my last 2 reps were NOT pretty, even at only 5 reps. Then I did 3 sets of lat pulldowns x 8 and 3 sets of dumbbell rows x8. I finished with 5 minutes of planks switching from front to each side for 30 - 90 second intervals, the last minute alternating leg to chest. FELT GOOD to hit it again!!!( will see if I feel that way tomorrow)!

I'm thinking my weights at home aren't heavy enough. I did day 2 of the double progression and it was squats with 20 pounds and glute bridges with a 30 pound barbell. I don't have a rack either. Am I doing the wrong program?
LizC7, I'm not familiar with that program, but lighter weights can still provide a great workout. As the weights go up, a rack is really helpful, but most programs can be modified. If you are sweating or sore the next day then work was done and that's "gotta be good"!! Sorry I'm not much help!

Today I did double chest and back. I did a 10 set pyramid bench series followed by 2 sets of pushups. By the time I was done with bench, my two sets of pushups were 18 and 15...I was really fried I guess. Then I decided since I have been fighting elbow tendonitis for awhile, I would do several shorter sets of chin ups and see if it helped. I did 6 sets of 5 chins and gotta say that my last 2 reps were NOT pretty, even at only 5 reps. Then I did 3 sets of lat pulldowns x 8 and 3 sets of dumbbell rows x8. I finished with 5 minutes of planks switching from front to each side for 30 - 90 second intervals, the last minute alternating leg to chest. FELT GOOD to hit it again!!!( will see if I feel that way tomorrow)!

And you say I did high reps???? That's BIG volume, Tom. Wow

I'm thinking my weights at home aren't heavy enough. I did day 2 of the double progression and it was squats with 20 pounds and glute bridges with a 30 pound barbell. I don't have a rack either. Am I doing the wrong program?

I do think you need to go heavy for the double progression. Have you got Nia's body weight stuff? I'll have a look at her programmes and see if there's something more suitable.

LizC7, I'm not familiar with that program, but lighter weights can still provide a great workout. As the weights go up, a rack is really helpful, but most programs can be modified. If you are sweating or sore the next day then work was done and that's "gotta be good"!! Sorry I'm not much help!

Agree with Tom. If these weights work for you, it will be a great plan for you. As you get stronger, a squat rack, (at least something to hold a bar and weights) and heavier weights will be in order. Hope this will work for you, it's a great program. Good luck!

Not sure what's happened, but whilst doing Nia I'd use 37kg. I couldn't even get 35kg over my head.

Oh bother! It's so frustrating when you reach a PR and then turn around and get humbled by the exact same (or similar) exercise. I did GS last week and got completely spanked by the chest work. I even skipped the drop set push-ups, thinking that would allow me to reach the same weights I was doing the week before with RWH. Not so. It was like I'd never even done the workout before. I'm sure we all have these very same stories. We feel your pain. Guess this is why change is good. It shocks our body and it knocks down our pride. ;)

I want a suspension trainer. Do you use yours often? I just don't know where I'd fasten it.

It feels like I got out of bed, and immediately dropped down into the splits.

Can you do the splits? Did you do them in your competition days? I bet Roz can do the splits. I just have a feeling.

Are you still doing Intermittent Fasting?

You can always email Nia and tell her about your equipment situation. She might have some suggestions for you on how to make it work.

Aonther idea is to buy adjustable dumbbells. They are very space efficient. I love my Power Blocks, couldn't lift w/o them. Nia uses these as well.

I did a 10 set pyramid bench series followed by 2 sets of pushups

Tom, I love pyramid style workouts. Niiiice job on the push-ups and chin-ups. Those bodyweight exercises never seem to get easier. I, too, battle elbow tendinitis but usually feel it in barbell exercises.

Whatchya doin today, Roz?

I did XTrain Burn Sets Bis + Tris. Added cardio only, 4DS HIS since the weight workout was short. Whole thing was just a little over an hour.

Lisa

Oh bother! It's so frustrating when you reach a PR and then turn around and get humbled by the exact same (or similar) exercise. I did GS last week and got completely spanked by the chest work. I even skipped the drop set push-ups, thinking that would allow me to reach the same weights I was doing the week before with RWH. Not so. It was like I'd never even done the workout before. I'm sure we all have these very same stories. We feel your pain. Guess this is why change is good. It shocks our body and it knocks down our pride. ;)

I want a suspension trainer. Do you use yours often? I just don't know where I'd fasten it.

Can you do the splits? Did you do them in your competition days? I bet Roz can do the splits. I just have a feeling.

Are you still doing Intermittent Fasting?

You can always email Nia and tell her about your equipment situation. She might have some suggestions for you on how to make it work.

Aonther idea is to buy adjustable dumbbells. They are very space efficient. I love my Power Blocks, couldn't lift w/o them. Nia uses these as well.

Tom, I love pyramid style workouts. Niiiice job on the push-ups and chin-ups. Those bodyweight exercises never seem to get easier. I, too, battle elbow tendinitis but usually feel it in barbell exercises.

Whatchya doin today, Roz?

I did XTrain Burn Sets Bis + Tris. Added cardio only, 4DS HIS since the weight workout was short. Whole thing was just a little over an hour.

Lisa
Lisa...I have powerblocks also and love them!!!

Today was shoulders and arms. military press 5x8 barbell front raise 2x8 and side laterals 2x8. I did trisets on arms, tri pushdowns alternating with barbell curl 3sets each x8 crossbody tris alternating with dumbbell curls 3 sets x8 and tri extensions alternating with concentration curls 3x8. I did 9 sets of each bodypart due to doubling up, but still feel worked! Hope everyone has a great weekend! Karen, if you can straighten out DC PLEASE do!!!

Hi everybody, dropping in to say..... I did EFX this morning. Highly recommend a suspension trainer, lisa. So many different moves, on a suspension trainer. There was a time, High school, and college, when I could do the splits, and they were easy. Haven't tried them for years. I'm afraid my legs would snap off at the hips. Maybe that will be my next project, splits. I still do intermittant fasting. I do have breaks, this week-end being one. Hope you are enjoying your Nia program, Liz. Sometimes, it feels a little odd at first. Justine, has a great idea, another program may work better for you, right now. Keep kicking it everybody! Great job! DC, is a beautiful city, it has changed quite a bit since I was last here. Off to see the sights. Have a great week-end!!

Liz, good idea of the others to email Nia. She's great at replying. Do you know your 1 rm? I found I was using about 85-90% 1rm for the double progression. I think you need to go that heavy, since the workouts are so short- intensity rather than length. Can you do that with the equipment you have?

Suspension trainer- fab bit of kit. I have d-rings attached to my ceiling and a couple on the walls (looks a bit '50 shades' , what with the rubber bands, slam balls and leather gloves....). I have the luxury of a me-only room, though! I believe you can wedge the suspension trainer in the door. Or hang it on something sturdy (tree?)

More burn sets, lisa? You'll be hurting! What are your goals? from your avatar you look like another tall girl, no weight issues? I don't know how you manage over an hours w/o with a little one....

Tom, sounds like a great w/o. Do you feel you're progressing with the weights now?

Roz - how's gsf? When you did gsf2 , what did you make of phase 2? I'm not sure what I'm aiming for. Power? I'm hoping the volume will be less than phase 1. Could do with under an hour , so that I can add lwf.

Talking of which, did 2 lwf2 yesterday, with the slam ball. My waist still hurts! Today was DLs. Went a bit heavier (85kg, so nothing very impressive), only 3 reps per set, but 6 sets. Ok, rather than spectacular. Pull ups were better (50 total, started at 8, last few sets were 2 at a time!) that's the first 4 weeks under the belt.

Karen - splits? You amaze me more and more. I've never been able to. Hope you're having fun xx

Great weekend to all

Did you all see the post on Cathe Live discounts? 15% off for buying a 6 or 12 month pre-paid subscription. I'm in!!!

Tom, high fives on the weight session today. Barbell front raises are deadly. You were lamenting your time off, but you sure seem to be back in the lifting groove.

Karen, agree with Tom. See what you can do to straighten out the mess in DC, would you? Enjoy your vacation! I think DC is at it's finest during the Fall and then during early Spring when the blossoms are in bloom. Good luck on your Marine Corps race. Definitely don't try your legs at the splits after you run. :)

Justine, the suspension trainer in the door scares me. D rings are a good idea. My DH thanks you in advance for the project I'm going to assign him. :) We have a dedicated workout room so it should work. LOL 50 Shades. I don't know if you have any Jari Love DVDs but her newest stuff is very very 50 shades--leather, dark lights, and so on. Also, not really tall--only 5 feet 5.5. inches (was devastated to learn I'm not a full 6 inches, ha!). Definitely on the leaner side and am a hard gainer. I'm hanging on to about 8 "extra" lbs from my last pregnancy and some of it is BFing fat stores I think, but I also think some of it is muscle because I'm lifting harder and heavier than normal plus eating like a TANK. I've never been this hungry before, not even when nursing my DD1. IDK what my goals are, just really to be strong, with a healthy heart and bones (osteoporosis runs in my family). Also want to be injury free and just have fun. See, I'm all over the place which is probably why I can't pin down a rotation.

Also Justine, great workout! I disagree that 85kgs is not impressive. That rocks, especially with core DOMS. I love finding workouts that are alternatives to traditional core work. Slam ball sounds like fun!!!

Howdy to Roz and Liz.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Lisa

I would love for myself, and a few strong friends (any takers) to wade into that mess, and start kicking some butt. At my age, I don't need a rap sheet, and I don't want to be booked in DC, for a Federal crime. But, then again, the slammer might be fun, with a few close friends. NOT! No straightening out that mess!

Liz, good idea of the others to email Nia. She's great at replying. Do you know your 1 rm? I found I was using about 85-90% 1rm for the double progression. I think you need to go that heavy, since the workouts are so short- intensity rather than length. Can you do that with the equipment you have?

Suspension trainer- fab bit of kit. I have d-rings attached to my ceiling and a couple on the walls (looks a bit '50 shades' , what with the rubber bands, slam balls and leather gloves....). I have the luxury of a me-only room, though! I believe you can wedge the suspension trainer in the door. Or hang it on something sturdy (tree?)

More burn sets, lisa? You'll be hurting! What are your goals? from your avatar you look like another tall girl, no weight issues? I don't know how you manage over an hours w/o with a little one....

Tom, sounds like a great w/o. Do you feel you're progressing with the weights now?

Roz - how's gsf? When you did gsf2 , what did you make of phase 2? I'm not sure what I'm aiming for. Power? I'm hoping the volume will be less than phase 1. Could do with under an hour , so that I can add lwf.

Talking of which, did 2 lwf2 yesterday, with the slam ball. My waist still hurts! Today was DLs. Went a bit heavier (85kg, so nothing very impressive), only 3 reps per set, but 6 sets. Ok, rather than spectacular. Pull ups were better (50 total, started at 8, last few sets were 2 at a time!) that's the first 4 weeks under the belt.

Karen - splits? You amaze me more and more. I've never been able to. Hope you're having fun xx

Great weekend to all

Great weekend to all
Justine, no, I am using lighter weights than previously. Elbows seem to be an issue, so I have lightened up curls and some other lifts as well. I am going lighter on ohp as well, but not due to soreness, just seems HARDER!!! I hope as time goes on, strength will increase. I haven't pushed weight, but that's coming!!! I kinda feel like you felt, getting "stuck" on weight you feel you should handle, but hopefully that will change. Do you think the tremendous volume you are doing is decreasing strength but increasing endurance?? It seems many sprinters are well muscled and distance runners are " stringier" Just wondering??

Hi everyone!
Glad to see you're all still killing it -- not that I expected otherwise! :)
It's been a busy week, and I was pretty floored by all those squats on Wednesday. A little core-focused yoga on Thursday and total rest yesterday, but until today walking hurt! Today was deadlifts. I decided last night that I was gonna crush it, so I loaded up on carbs and had some deadlift dreams! I managed 165# for 9x8, then one-arm push presses, face pulls on the suspension trainer (Lisa, yes! Suspension trainers are awesome!), hamstring curls on the discs, and body saws on the discs.
Then I added 10 mins of heavy conditioning (this and that, working up to some heavy cleans around 100#) and topped it off with some biceps curls 4x10. I scored an E-Z curl bar at a tag sale for a few bucks, so I was trying it out. I think I like it -- what do you love about your E-Z curl bars?
Today I did XTrain Burn Sets CBS. I have to go change a nasty diaper now. How can one who is sweet and cute be so awfully stinky? Also what would it be like to feel like you've accomplished a full day's work by pooping? Oh to be a baby again.
Lisa, great job on Burn Sets AND Bum Sets! :)
I did GS last week and got completely spanked by the chest work. I even skipped the drop set push-ups, thinking that would allow me to reach the same weights I was doing the week before with RWH. Not so.
Yeah, GS always does that to me. After Meso 3, it utterly humbled me.
Hmmm... Liz, I agree that you should email Nia! Finding the right weight load takes time, but I think you'd probably want to squat more than you can clean and press overhead.
Elbows seem to be an issue, so I have lightened up curls and some other lifts as well.
Tom, is single-arm work better that using the barbell?
Justine -- yeah, I think so. And conditioning and endurance, maybe. I got a little bored by the end of phase 2. Loved phase 3. I just didn't make myself do endless sets of the Phase 2 stuff. I moved on to a (sometimes heavy) LWF workout. And I had more energy for workouts on non-GSF days.
Pull ups were better (50 total, started at 8, last few sets were 2 at a time!) that's the first 4 weeks under the belt.
Justine, 8 pullups? That's just studly. I can't do that at all.
However, I did find out today that I can do a one-arm chinup! I'd never tried before. (I'm sure you can, too.)

Karen, put out some fires while you're running the marathon, OK? ;) Have fun!

Enjoy your weekends!
Roz

Hi everybody, just popping in. Today was a rest day for me. Stood at the finish line of the marathon. DIL, and Niece made it. I didn't run the marathon. Just watched. I am not a marathoner. It would not be pretty, if I had to run a marathon. Paramedics would have to roll in, at about mile 15, or before. I can lift weights forever, but run forever? No. Keep on keepin' on, everybody. Coming home tomorrow.

Roz, great way to end out your week! I've been tempted by the ez-curl bar because, as Tom said, I've heard it's friendlier for folks with elbow tendinitis. It would be nice to do BB curls again. I'll look into it... Yep, the Fall hangries are real. I know I'm eating loads for a variety of reasons, but eating more than ever has definitely helped me up my muscle mass, thus helping me up my workout weight loads, thus helping me up my muscle mass and so on. Hmmm, maybe all those lifters and competitors are on to something with the whole bulk and shred approach (as Karen rolls her eyes and says "duh"). :p

Karen, I love you but I won't go to prison with you. Orange may be the new black but it's still not my color. ;) Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation. Are your DIL and niece chronic marathoners? And yes, I say it like that to make it sound like a medical condition because I just don't get it. Hats off to those who love it and rock it, but that sure ain't for me!

Tom, just my two cents-- Endurance gives me definition, like nice sleek lines and grooves where you can see muscles popping. Definitely leaves me stringier and lankier. Lower volume gives me girth and fuller muscles, and I don't mean girth as in fat but definitely more voluminous so long as I'm eating up like I said to Roz. I've not done any super duper low rep programs so that's just my own little anecdote.

Justine, anything happening for you this weekend?

I realized I forgot to report that I did Tracey Staehle Step Sweatfest yesterday. Today I did KCM's Lean Body Circuits + RWH Abs 1. I just love KCM, her style is so different from Cathe but I find putting both of their 'stuff' together makes for a beautiful week of workouts.

Be back Monday!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.