Lifting like girls

Ab day, giant sets, cable crunches x 20 ( added 10#) / floor planks x 1 min and doing the series 3x. I could really feel the added 10#! Followed these with a 5 min side plank series transitioning from left to right) 60 sec 45 sec 30 sec 15 sec). And THEN....2 leisurely miles (7 1/2 min) on the bike. Sunday funday completed, all for me today! Enjoy the day friends!

Feeling a bit better so I did an old 2014 Upper Body Live. Dare I say my pushups are improving? Of course saying this now means my next round of pushups, next workout, are going to be disastrous!

Tom, seeing lots of promos and excitement over college football starting soon. This is your favorite time of year, isn't it?

Karen, still smelling like garlic, onion, jalapeño? We're getting some cool, windy weather today. Seems to be helping with the smoke! Any better where you are?

Lisa, I do like college football the most and my school has a new head coach so hoping for some good things to come!
Today I started the week with......LEGS?? Dunno what happened just decided to shake things up a little. 5 sets of bench squats up to 215x5, 3x8 sets of db squats (55s) 2x12 gob squats (50 kb) 2x20 kb swings and 2x8 rev lunges (35s). I finished with 3x20 standing BB calf raises (215) and 3x25 single leg calf raises ( unweighted). Have been trying to fit stuff into 7 day weeks but gonna just try " wingin it" for awhile and see what happens! I would like to get everything done twice/ week but can't seem to get there...maybe 2x/ 8-10 days is more practical...we'll see. Survive your Monday!

Tom, I did legs today too! I like starting the week with my love-hate workout. Is your school Kansas? I hope I'm right because I think it's an unpardonable sin to say someone likes the wrong team...

Karen, how are you? Are you into college sports? I'm definitely not but I do wear my BSU blue and orange on game days. People here (the legit ID natives) pretty much throw tomatoes at you if you don't!

Have the best Monday possible. Next Monday is Labor Day, say what????? Bye bye summer...

Tom, I did legs today too! I like starting the week with my love-hate workout. Is your school Kansas? I hope I'm right because I think it's an unpardonable sin to say someone likes the wrong team...

Karen, how are you? Are you into college sports? I'm definitely not but I do wear my BSU blue and orange on game days. People here (the legit ID natives) pretty much throw tomatoes at you if you don't!

Have the best Monday possible. Next Monday is Labor Day, say what????? Bye bye summer...
Lisa, I'm a Nebraska football fan, KU basketball. Both DW and I graduated from there and son 2 was a fullback there his freshman year, Go Big Red! We have struggled since our 5 national championships but our new coach was a QB there on at least one of those National Championship teams and turned UCF from 0-12 to 13-0 in 2 years...therefore optimistic for the first time in awhile!! In the Big Ten, not expecting a championship run this year but hopefully steady improvement!

Ah, got it! You have divided loyalties, depending upon the sport lol! I hope your new guy delivers! Sounds like he's a great coach. I will tell my DH that we should cheer for Nebraska (the corn huskers I think???) because we don't care either way so may as well support a friend's team. Cool that your son played collegiate ball.

Chest and tri day, 10 sets of bench and 6 sets of tris. Bench was up to 195x4x3 then 175x8x5 155x8 135x10. For tris 3x8 skullcrushers 2x8 pushdowns and a burn out set of kickbacks. All for me, some water in basement and it hasn't rained...forever! Weird!! Be good ladies!

Today was to be back and bi, but didn't happen. Oh, I showed up, a little early even, and started with some chin ups but elbows weren't in the mood, decided to do some pulldowns but I looked at my cable and it is badly frayed, wire sticking out of the plastic covering and many of the component wires already broken, so thought better of that, grabbed some light dumbbells but even that seemed too much so I "freakin quit"! I had some water down there so I moved some stuff around and swept some of the water to the sump pump hoping to get the area dry today. We had some storms and rain last night, not sure how much but hopefully not enough to add to it! This water is not from wet ground, it only happens when it has been dry for a long time....just strange because I do get the other kind with big rains etc. So, this loser "adiosed" his weight training for the day and hopefully something better happens tomorrow!
All for me, kind of ashamed of myself but some days just aren't meant to be! Better day to you friends!

Hey friends. It's been awhile. I've been canning salsa, and it's been a project, one of those things that takes all day. The worst and most time consuming is chopping and dicing and mincing everything. Six large onions, 1 lb of jalapenos, 6 green peppers, mincing cilantro and blanching tomatoes and letting them sit to drain. Like I said before, on and on and on.
Anyway, Monday was a YAYOG volume II. Timed workout. This morning was the Ladders workout, from YAYOG, and yesterday was STS Hypertrophy Legs.
Tom, some days are better than others. I've had those days. Whatever I tried, just wasn't coming together. Tomorrow is another day. I also need to replace a couple of cables.
Lisa, how was the first week of school? Is everybody happy? (especially Mommy)
I'm really not into college or professional sports. There was a time, but I've lost interest. So that's about it for me. I'm thinking of canning more salsa, or maybe just tomatoes. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Yesterday was an agility cardio + abs workout. But the real workout was when I got to clean the washer after my DD2 put a children's book in with all the kid clothes. Yesterday I learned how to get wet paper off of a washer barrel AND clothing. Aren't I lucky?!?! I know, you're asking "why didn't you check the clothes for 'intruders' BEFORE loading them into the washer?" But, yes, yes, I did! This inspection process was how I found, the Legos and the old cell phone my kids like to play with. Good news is that the clothes and washer are fine. After hours of labor on my part. Bad news is that DD2 has lost all hamper and laundry 'helping' privileges. Karen, I bet the salsa canning process sounds pretty good now, huh??? Lol.

Today I did Ramped Up Upper Body from Strong and Sweaty. Tom, my workout started like yours did...how am I gonna make it? I just kept going because there was no water to sump pump up.. not my best day bUT I did it.

Let's pull together and turn this day around! We've got this!!!

Shoulder day, 20 sets but certainly NO heroics! 5 sets of standing strict press, up to 100x8 and 120x2...I definitely suck at this. I decided to video my 100x8 just to see what my issue is and I push the weight out in front of me, I guess because I cant get my arms straight over my head, good front delt work I guess?? Next were seated db press (dropped to 45s) x12x10x8 and side laterals 3x10 (25s), 3x10 rear delt flys (45s) and 3x10 oly bar front raises, finishing with db shrugs (85s) x30x25x20. I did get my frayed cable off, now to see if I can find one to replace it. "Keep on truckin" friends!

Karen, love Ilaria. She's such an athlete with a great onscreen presence. I hope she's kicking cancer's a$$.

Tom, your shoulder press situation sounds like a biomechanical thing. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it (in case you were). Reading Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle from the library right now. He makes good points about the huge role played by genes, our biomechanics, and even things like where the muscle inserts into the bone.

Today was legs. Oof, a toughie but goodie. Gotta jet!

Last edited:
This story is so funny. I remember my older kids flushing the baby's clothes down the toilet. Lisa, you win!! Canning salsa is a piece of cake!

Karen, parenting requires one to become a plumber, doesn't it? Heaven help me when we get to the "hmmm, will this flush down the toilet?" Or "I bet the garbag disposal can handle this piece of clothing / jewelry / technology..." stage! My DH used to experiment with things in the microwave. ..and I am not talking about food! I never did stuff like that. Im a rule follower. But Unfortunately for me, I am going to have to deal with his bad karma / what-goes-around-comes-around revenge that his parents wished on him!!!!

Extra extra early workout for me today. In my sleepy mental condition, I selected a Boot Camp-y Live. Do not remember the name but it got the job done! Have a great Labor Day weekend! !!

Arm day, limited motivation for some reason but did it hit pretty hard...or tried to! It was pretty much a 45 90 day, starting with skullcrushers (45s) x13 12 12, then ez bar curls (90) x12 10 8. Next I did 2 superset series, db curls (45s) 3x8/ db kickbacks (45s) 3x15 followed by bi and tri 21s (45 oly bar only) 3 sets. Tris were 7 count half up, 7 count half down then full range 7 count...these were great finishers because by then ANYTHING would have been a great finisher lol! 18 sets in all. I did find a way to get a new cable ordered and that is good because I am missing pushdowns and cable crunches!
Lisa, I think you are right about the biomechanical thing and flexibility has NEVER been an asset for me and it is definitely too late now...yoga NOT in the cards for this old goat!
Karen, hope the salsa ordeal is behind you however I would rather do that than Llaria!!
Have a great labor day weekend friends!!

Oh yea, Karma. I remember my mother telling me that I should have children that we’re just like I was. Revenge on the universe. I didn’t think I was so bad. But, I guess what goes around...and all that stuff.

Today was Mark Lauren. I love his short programs. But, I need to work on my flexibility. He has you twisting this way, and that way. But, he sure looks good, from the neck down. All that from bodyweight? I guess it could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.