Let's talk BRAZILIAN Waxing....anyone?

dmd

Cathlete
Okay, so I am ready to take the plunge into the painful world of bikini/brazilian waxing. Thankfully, I am not a very hairy person...that being said, I am still scared to death. I cannot for the life of me imagine myself in a salon having my private parts waxed...dunno, just me. SO, have any of you attempted waxing at HOME? If so what kits have you found to do a good job? Thanks for chiming in...you guys are always so helpful. :)

Deb

I would love to do this, but I get lazy and just shave (sorry if that's too much info x( ). I've tried waxing at home ~ it wasn't pretty.

Not too much info...I figure after childbirth everything is relative.;) Anyway, thanks for your input...dang, I am so hoping to do this at home and spare my dignity. deb

Hi Deb,

I'm a very, very modest person -- and if I can survive salon waxings, I'm sure you can, too! ;-)

In all seriousness, I did try doing bikini waxing myself, as well as using an epilator (sp?), and both were awful and painful. If you find a good waxing salon near you, it is *so* worth it to have it done professionally.

The place I go to also sells this product called No Scream Cream; if you put it on about 30 minutes before your appointment and also take some Advil, the pain is a lot better! It's also worst the first time; if you keep it up, the pain really decreases and the hair re-growth is a lot less. I also started with regular bikini waxing before building up to . . . er . . . going for broke, so to speak. ;-)

ETA: I also see the owner of the waxing salon. She's been doing this for 18 years, and I feel a whole lot more comfortable with her since she's an older, more experienced woman. When she was sick once, I got put with a younger gal, which was a bit more awkward at first. But just remind yourself that they're professionals . . . and they've been doing this awhile! ;-)

HTH! :)

I've never had one. A friend of mine had the brazilian done, and the lady who was doing it told her, "It's for the mens." ;-)

I started having them done at a day spa a year or so ago. I was totally freaked at first because I'm a modest person too. But the girl was awesome and made me really comfortable. I even said to her "I don't see how you can do this." She said "if you have something I don't, we need to talk." :) I don't think I could do it at home. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

Kim

Honestly, I would recommend going to a salon to get this done. Just think of where you are going to be putting the wax and then imagine if you happened to make a *mistake.* OUCH!!

I know how you feel about sort of exposing yourself but, really, these women are doing this a lot, everyday. It's their job. The place I go has a minimum 7 year experience rule before they hire anyone. One of the two women I see for Brazilians told me that she has days where that is the only type of waxing she does. I think after a while it becomes just like anything else to them. I really don't even feel like they are *looking* at me now.

Now,of course, it is still a little nerve-wracking for me. But having a professional do it is a.) faster, b.) less painful(they know what their doing and I would probably get incredibly nervous just anticipating what was going to happen if I was doing it myself) and c.) going to more assuredly give me the result I want. Also, I'm not sure how one would do the *back* themselves.

I agree, the first time is the worst and, if you do decide to go to a salon, I would tell the aesthetician about your concerns. That way, they can do things to make you more comfortable(a lot of places even offer paper *bikini bottoms* so you don't feel as exposed.) And I second the Advil suggestion. HTH!

Hi Leanne!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the input and honesty on this subject. I WILL be seeking out the help of NO SCREAM cream. I appreciate you willingness to speak about this subject. I think I may take your advice on seeking a professional.

One more question if I may...how often do you have it done? AND how long does the hair have to be? Should I "trim" the area first? Okay, I'm done now. Thanks again Leanne! Deb

>Hi Leanne!
>Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the input and
>honesty on this subject. I WILL be seeking out the help of NO
>SCREAM cream. I appreciate you willingness to speak about this
>subject. I think I may take your advice on seeking a
>professional.
>
>One more question if I may...how often do you have it done?
>AND how long does the hair have to be? Should I "trim" the
>area first? Okay, I'm done now. Thanks again Leanne! Deb

Hi Deb,

Glad to help! It's funny b/c my first instinct was to be shy about responding (the modesty thing again!), but I know I've had such great help from all the lovely folks on this forum that I wanted to help out. :)

I usually go about every six to eight weeks during the regular year, and maybe every four weeks during summer, when I'm wearing a bathing suit more often. If you keep going on a regular basis, the hair doesn't grow in as much, and it really does become less painful.

I would call the place you're thinking about going to to ask them about hair length. The hair does need to be a certain length; the place I go to recommends about three weeks' worth of growth, and you don't need to do any preparation beforehand. :)

Here's some info from the place where I go that gives some tips about waxing:

http://www.beehivewaxingsalon.com/pages/waxinghints.htm

It's definitely more costly to go to a salon, but, as others have mentioned, I think it would be really hard to do it yourself!

Be brave and try it, but maybe start with a regular bikini wax first. To psych yourself up for it and not be embarrassed, just keep reminding yourself, as Kim and Pippa also said, that the aestheticians really are pros! :)

Hey Kim,
The comment your pro said was hilarious! I hope I find someone like that...humor at this point would help allot! I know their is some "psychology" involved in helping make this procedure less traumatic.:)

deb

Hi Pippa,
When you mentioned "nerve wracking"...exactly what do you mean?:7 What are bikini bottoms made of paper? Sounds like anything I would wear paper or not would..um, get in the way. Thanks for the info I really appreciate your input. deb

You know, my husband could care less. But, if it helps...well then, after 22yrs. of marriage it could be a good thing then right? :7 deb

Leanne,

Thanks again for the info. Man, I knew I could count on you guys. I have decided to go with the bikini first and then perhaps the whole shibang, as it were. Thank you for the link of info...looks like a nice place.

Also, I love your short hair-cut in you pic-trail...Very cute. I wish I could find the courage to cut my hair, guess I should find the courage for a bikini wax first huh? Your daughter is adorable! I am sending mine to college this year. Don't blink, it goes by sooooo fast:( . Deb

The girl who does mine is quick and efficient. The entire procedure is relatively painless because it's over with in a heartbeat. The key is a an experienced professional in a reputable salon.

The results are worth it, trust me ;-).

Talk about the most helpful thread ever! This is one of those things I've always thought about and never gone through with. Tried an at-home kit once- nope, nope, nope, never again.

So, here's another question- Are there more than two choices i.e. a full on brazilian or a more conservative approach? Do you need to specify exactly what you want to the ladies? Is there some sort of menu? :7

>Hi Pippa,
> What are bikini bottoms made of paper? Sounds like
>anything I would wear paper or not would..um, get in the way.
>Thanks for the info I really appreciate your input. deb

Paper bikini bottoms would definitely get in the way of a Brazilian since ALL hair "fore and aft" is removed. I haven't had a Brazilian, just a regular bikini one, but I got the full scoop from a friend who had one. After her description, I'll stick with the regular ones!

Jonahnah
From now on, I'm going to be more decisive. Possibly.

By nerve-wracking I just meant that I still get a little nervous every month about *exposing* myself. :)

I actually use the paper bottoms and they do NOT get in the way. The aesthetician just moves them around. Now, they really don't provide any coverage so I wouldn't go into it thinking that you won't have to expose yourself if you use them but they certainly make me feel a little more comfortable and all of the aestheticians at the place I go have no problem working with the bottoms.

FWIW, I have had it done without the bottom and I did feel a little more self-conscious since I was pretty much just on *display* the whole time. But, like I said, those bottome don't provide much coverage so I know it was just a psychological thing. :)

>So, here's another question- Are there more than two choices
>i.e. a full on brazilian or a more conservative approach? Do
>you need to specify exactly what you want to the ladies? Is
>there some sort of menu? :7

At the place I go the only question they ask is if you want to leave any type of well, *strip* at the top. I suppose you could tell them to do whatever you want but I would suggest telling them right away if you want something different. I can't imagine that a salon wouldn't accomodate you but, if you made an appointment for a Brazilain, I doubt they will ask anything than what I mentioned.

The first place that I went to did offer a sort of in-between wax but not the place I go now.:)

I do my own bikini waxing at home. The Brazilian is completely hairless, right?

Well I went to Sally's beauty supply about a year ago and just got the warmer and wax I do all our brows, upper lips and my own bikini. For me its better than shaving as the area stays bare longer.

It takes a few tries for the bikini area to be waxed but after wards its a snap. I do it for myself as I like the landing strip look and as another poster mentioned after 23 yrs with my husband he also could care less what I look like down there. lol

It can be done at home with a steady hand ;)

Wow! I would never ever in a million years give myself a wax at home. I'm so clumsy I can only imagine the pain I'd put myself through!

I've been getting Brazilians for a few years now, at the same spa with the same professional, so I don't even blink an eye as far as modesty goes anymore. Even if I switched persons I don't think it would bother me because it's like going to the ob-gyn, that's what they're looking at all the time so why make the experience harder on yourself by worrying about that. Now the pain.. oh the pain... that's something I gotta psyche myself up for because I have coarse hair so no matter the growth - it's always painful. But, yes, it does diminish over time although not to the point of being painless. I never tried Advil or anything for the pain though. I guess it's so quick that it's been bearable thus far.

But you gotta try everything at least once... so good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.