Les Mills, anyone use??

firemedic

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone here uses the Les Mills on demand? I have an offer from my health insurance of 30 months free, next month 50% off, then 25% off every month after that. I have only used Cathe and Peloton (mostly yoga). I was just wondering what people think about it or if it's worth it. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in case I don't get to come back until after.

I haven't done Les Mills on demand, but I have the Pump workouts on DVD (using a barbell) which was a collaboration with Beach Body. This has a mix of shorter and longer workouts, but the shorter workouts just skip muscle groups, so you need to do the full-length workouts (of which there are only 2) to get all your muscle groups. These workouts are similar to Cathe's High Reps workout.

Also, being in NZ, one of our local TV channels had some of their workouts available for free during the Covid lockdowns which are still available on the local tv's streaming channel. These were all 30-minute workouts using no equipment. I've done some Body Combat (kickboxing) and Body Balance (yoga). They also have Body Attack, Core, Grit Cardio, and Low Impact Cardio and Kickboxing, but I haven't done these. From the ones I've done, they are good, but can be a bit repetitive, i.e. there isn't much difference between one body combat workout and another. Les Mills on demand has much more variety of workouts though, with cycling, step, barre, pump, and dance workouts, so I guess if you have more variety of workouts to choose from the repetitiveness might not be as noticeable.

It might be worth it if you can try it for free first and see how you like it. I never signed up to Les Mills on demand or other workout streaming services because I have a limited budget and prefer Cathe. I guess Les Mills is a bit like Cathe Live, where you just follow along with the workout. For me, the real value with Cathe on demand is the Workout Blender where I can create my own workouts.

Hope this helps, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Years ago, back in 2013 or 2014, I did several rotations of Les Mills Combat from Beachbody and I really enjoyed it. Dan and Rach were fun instructors, there was always a low impact modifier cast member, the music was good and it was different martial art forms like boxing, kickboxing, taekwondo, karate, and capoeira. It had like one weight training workout that I wasn’t crazy about so I ended up using the cardio DVDs mixed with Cathe weight training DVD’s.

I've never done any of the Les Mills workouts, but I know in the App store, there is an app
for his workouts and the rating is like 4.9 out of 5.

Gosh, if you get 30 months free, why not go for it? I would think that you can cancel, if
you ended up not liking it. That seems like a great offer...

and Happy Thanksgiving!

OMG I cannot believe I wrote 30 months, I meant 30 days free. So sorry about that. I guess I can just try the 30 days free but I'm just so use to Cathe, her on demand blender & premixes, the live, and also just her style that I'm not sure if I am going to like it. I do like some of the peloton stuff but I find that sometimes the instructors get a little to "preachy" for me. I like motivation but I don't like being lectured during my workout. I don't know if that makes any sense. I just feel like I maybe need something different, not because of Cathe, but there has just been something going on this past year that I just don't always feel so motivated to workout. And then when I don't, I seem to get more tired and then I start to feel guilty for not working out. I just don't know what is going on. I'm assuming it's more mental because I just had my yearly physical with all works and everything was normal. Sorry I got a bit off track, thanks for all the input and listening. I greatly appreciate it.

I just feel like I maybe need something different, not because of Cathe, but there has just been something going on this past year that I just don't always feel so motivated to workout.
If you're not sure if you want to sign up to Les Mills but you want something different, you could take a look at Tom Peto Training on YouTube. I've been doing quite a few of his workouts this year where I've needed something shorter or just a bit different. He has a lot of free workouts on his YouTube channel, mostly using dumbbells, and quite a number of mobility workouts too. A lot of his workouts are 30 minutes long, but they don't include a cool down and some don't include a warmup. He has separate 5 minute warm up and cool down videos, or you can tack on a 10-minute mobility workout. He also has some different variations such as EMOM and AMRAP. EMOM is every minute on the minute. You do an exercise for a certain number of reps and then whatever time remains in the minute is your rest. So, if it takes you 30s to do your reps then you get 30s rest. Then you start a new exercise for the next minute. AMRAP is as many rounds as possible. You get a selection of 4-5 exercises with so many reps per exercise and you see how many rounds you can do in a set number of minutes. I find both these types of workouts tough but really good when I want something different.

I love the original (and quite ancient) Body Pump workout! I enjoy using the old BeachBody Pump DVDs as add-ons.

Les Mills recently had a special (could still be on) where you get 30 days free then a year for $79.99. I’ve been mostly disappointed. For the most part I just don’t enjoy the music. The exercise isn’t choreographed to the music like it used to be.

I do really enjoy their Barre workouts but apparently they’re discontinuing them. It looks like I’ll cancel before I’m charged unless I discover another class or two that I really like.

@firemedic First, I love Cathe and she's my favorite. That said, if you're looking for variety, have you checked out any YT workouts? There are so many great free workouts, most especially I'm talking about the workouts by certified instructors (not click bait from unqualified people). The variety helps me stay motivated. I especially love Christina Dorner and Michelle Briehler. They both have great workouts, are encouraging, and offer modifications. There are others: Tracy Steen, Penny Barnshaw, and more. If it were me I would not spend money unless I was absolutely sure, but maybe you will fall in love with Les Mills after the 30 free days.

I love the original (and quite ancient) Body Pump workout! I enjoy using the old BeachBody Pump DVDs as add-ons.

Les Mills recently had a special (could still be on) where you get 30 days free then a year for $79.99. I’ve been mostly disappointed. For the most part I just don’t enjoy the music. The exercise isn’t choreographed to the music like it used to be.

I do really enjoy their Barre workouts but apparently they’re discontinuing them. It looks like I’ll cancel before I’m charged unless I discover another class or two that I really like.
That is exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for your input.

Thanks again everyone. I will try these more specific ones on YT. I 've tried some but didn't really care for them but that is why I come here for the best advice. Everyone have a great weekend and don't spend too much money!!!!

Sorry for the late response, Les Mills is good but all the shorter versions of workouts are ones that have different parts of the longer workouts removed. So for Combat, the full workout is 60 minutes, the 30 and 45 minute versions are the same as the longer workouts with different tracks removed. This is what I don't like about Les Mills. I really enjoy their tone program but again, the 30 minute versions are shorter workouts with tracks missing. so this is a downfall in my opinion. I haven't renewed my subscription.

Sorry for the late response, Les Mills is good but all the shorter versions of workouts are ones that have different parts of the longer workouts removed. So for Combat, the full workout is 60 minutes, the 30 and 45 minute versions are the same as the longer workouts with different tracks removed. This is what I don't like about Les Mills. I really enjoy their tone program but again, the 30 minute versions are shorter workouts with tracks missing. so this is a downfall in my opinion. I haven't renewed my subscription.
Thanks for that. I was already leaning toward a no, but that pretty much seals the deal for me. Thanks for all the responses. I have been trying out some of the youtube suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I was wondering if anyone here uses the Les Mills on demand? I have an offer from my health insurance of 30 months free, next month 50% off, then 25% off every month after that. I have only used Cathe and Peloton (mostly yoga). I was just wondering what people think about it or if it's worth it. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in case I don't get to come back until after.
This is really late -- but hope you give it another try as it might click with you as another option to Cathe.

I use LMOD and love it. I have been a vidiot for years, with large collections of FIRM, Cathe, old CIAs from the old days. In the last five years, got out of the habit -- found LMOD 1.5 years ago and got hooked! I ended up buying all their equipment (already had extensive equipment collection - but theirs is better to do their class, Body Pump), and did several of their challenges. I even went to their Live Weekend in LA in July to workout with several thousand other fans. Their instructors are very professional, positive, and some have been with Les Mills for years.

I think Cathe and Caroline Girvan have better weight programs, but the rest of their programs are fun and motivating.

I subbed a while back and have not used it like I should.
But I think I'm going to really give it a good go in the new year, to see if I'll keep it when my year is up, or just let it go.

I have to retract what I said, as I went ahead and got the subscription again with the discount. I wanted to try their shapes program and I did one workout and really like it. So will be doing that and I do enjoy their bodybalance short classes as a stretch after a workout. do I like that they take tracks out to shorten their combat classes, no but figured for the discount it was worth to me so I can try their new program(s) out.

I love Les Mills Combat and Pump, I have them both and continue to use them. I find Les Mills Combat has a huge fun factor. I purchased it when it was first released on BB I pre-ordered it and the bonus disc too! I Love it still to this day. I et a great workout and have fun and even smile the whole time doing it. I've like 7 or 8 rounds of it and its still fun for me. Pump- is fun too and have the bonus cardio disc as well. Both Combat and Pump are long time faves of mine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.