Kitty tail (tale?)

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
I was lying in bed about a week-and-a-half ago running my hands down my Gracie's thick fur when I felt a lump on her right hindquarters. Gracie is my hyper-affectionate, huge (18 lbs), furry kitty who purrs like a mac truck. I can't stress enough what a sweet, loving creature she is and how much I love her.

When I stumbled upon the lump I felt sick. I'm going through tough financial times which, hopefully, will be over at the end of September. Still, no matter what I do, money will be extremely tight for a while. I had to wait until I got paid so I finally got her to the vet late yesterday. While discussing all this, as a terrified Gracie hid under a big towel, I mentioned that she also had a small bump on her tail I'd found that I thought she might need to also check out. Gracie's fur is so thick it took the poor woman forever to find it. And that was with a tech holding her down to keep my Jelly Belly from flopping around.

In the end, cells were taken from both masses and when my vet came back she said the BIG bump on Gracie's bum was just fat. But the bump (I don't know the technical lingo) on her tail was a hard mass, probably cancerous. She doesn't know at which stage the cells in the bump are and will get back to me on that. Nonetheless, she says the odds of getting all the cells by cutting out the lump and the surrounding tissue are questionable. Hence, my Gracie has to have (most) of her tail removed, just to be safe. Whatever level cancer is there, the odds are excellent for a full recovery, sans tail.

I had a feeling, going in, that my baby wouldn't be taken from me, and I'm EXTREMELY grateful for that. But I think she's going to be very unhappy without her favorite annoying attribute. I call her my akita-kitty because her huge, fluffy, plume-like tail flips up, with the tip pointed toward her head, like an akita. When she pops up in bed with me, to the right of my head, facing the window, she likes to flip That Thing in my face. I have allergies so that always starts a sneeze-fest. Sweet as she is, she knows how to pull her tail under her but she just doesn't sometimes. I think it's a sly power move. After she's de-tailed, she'll no longer be able to do that.

I just can't imagine Gracie with a bobbed tail. Just needed to vent my mixed feelings.

Attachments

• DSC01184.jpg
    DSC01184.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01010.jpg
    DSC01010.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01494.jpg
    DSC01494.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01062.jpg
    DSC01062.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01082.jpg
    DSC01082.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
what a beautiful cat, I especially like the closeup of the face.

Its great that you found this early and she will have a full recovery. I know a cat that lost its tail by accident before and he was fine. They use if for balance so she might have trouble walking at first.

Stacey - I am so sorry that Gracie (and you) are having to go through this. Poor baby girl! My thoughts are with her.

Carrie

You are both lucky that the tumor is in an area that is easily removed with no harmful effects (except perhaps to Gracie's self image and your image of her).

My cat Bobsie is a natural Bobtail. (One advantage of a bobtail cat is that you don't get a mouthful of tail in your face when s/he turns around in front of you, LOL!).

I've seen a coupld of 'puffy-tailed' cats at the shelter over the years who have had their tails bobbed for one reason or another. They actually are very pretty (once the hair grows back in to cover the stubby end). I've also seen some manxes with hardly any tail at all (just a few hairs).

Though Gracie will lose the charms associated with her tail, I'm sure (since she's a cat) she'll come up with some new cute and chraming thing to do as a tailless kitty.

Sorry to hear about the cancer. Of course, if you look at the bright side, at least she will be with you for a long time to come! Just praise her and let her know that she is still beautiful after the de-tailing! She will be fine and get used to not having the tail.

Keep us posted! Let us know when her surgery will be.

Stacey, what a cutie she is! I know how difficult the news is but thank goodness a full recovery is anticipated. Animals have a very unique way of adjusting and they do it remarkably well! I'm sure you've seen on the news, if not in person, cats and dogs that have lost a limb but they figure out how to adapt and they're still happy. Your Gracie will do just fine. She'll find something else to use for a power move and will be happy discovering it. I know you also said money was tight right now. Does your vet have a payment plan? Keep us posted on how things go. ((((((( HUGS ))))))) to you and Gracie!

Bam

Animals have a very unique way of adjusting and they do it remarkably well!

Bam

I agree. She will adjust just fine. My male cat had a severe blockage of his urinary tract that only complete removal of his male appendage would fix. He pees like a girl now, but he is happy and healthy and doesn't seem to miss it at all.

I am glad you discovered this in time. Good luck to you both.

I'm so glad that there is a way to cure your kitty of her cancer. I've had so many pets die of cancer, in some cases after a very hard illness. I would have given so much to just have them lose their tails and not their lives. I'm sorry you and your pretty kitty are going through this, but I am so glad it's not worse.

Oh, she's so pretty! I have a long haired orange cat, and he has this big puffy tail too. We actually got him a "Lion's Cut" for the summer (Soooo glad we did and he is too) and he has this pom-pom at the end of a furless tail, it's funny!

What good news that your kitty can have the surgery and have more years with you!! I know it's got to be tough to go through, but at least you'll be together!!

Pretty kitty!

Gracie is so lovely! I know long haired kitties just love their tails and it's a shame Gracie will have to lose her's. But cats are resilient and eventually she'll get used to her new tail and give you many more years of sweetness! Good luck to her and to you!

Aaawww. Gracie is a cutie! I have a long-haired cat too. She is the only long-haired cat of the 4 that I have.

I loved reading your vent! I found myself chuckling several times about a not-so-happy topic. You are obviously a gifted writer.

I hope that Gracie won't be terribly upset about her tail (or soon-to-be lack-thereof)! Please do let us know how it goes for you and her!

Thank you all so much for letting me air all my feelings about my Gracie Mae (a.k.a. Mae-Mae). Yea, she is real purdy... It means a lot to me that I have a place to go for support when stuff hits the fan. I am grateful for you all and incredibly grateful my girl is going to live.

But now, weird stuff is happening. Weird stuff between Gracie and her arch-enemy (who, oddly enough, is her blood-sister). It started when I was trying to get Gracie into the carrier to take her to the vet. Bootsy hissed and spat at Gracie like she was seeing the devil. It scared the bejeezes out of my gentle giant. And it happened again when we returned from the vet. Now, because I'm trying to gradually integrate my final remaining Kitchen Cat (Casper) into my clan, I've had the swing door to the kitchen open off-and-on for about 5 days. Casper is thrilled to take turns hanging out upstairs and downstairs, as well as sometimes going out and hanging out in his old place, the kitchen. And Gracie is THRILLED to have access to the old-style downstairs bathroom sink again, after about 4 years of the kitchen (and adjoining bathroom) being off-limits, even though she's now too old and too fat the jump up on the sink. Since the vet visit, Gracie won't come upstairs, spends most of her time hanging out in the downstairs bathroom, and doesn't even come upstairs to the kitchenette to eat canned food in the morning when everyone else eats. Gracie NEVER missed breakfast... ever... until now. When I went to her in the living room after I got off work, she seemed really nervous when I ran my hands down her tail. So help me God, Gracie KNOWS she's going to loser her tail and she's avoiding me because she thinks I'm going to do it! Really, she's flat-out panicked.

Oh man, when this thing finally goes down, it is not going to go smoothly :(:(:(.

BTW, the photo is of Bootsy, Gracie's hissy-fittn' sister.

Attachments

• DSC01582_2.jpg
    DSC01582_2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Oh, what a sweetheart of a kitty!! >^..^<

I'm so sorry about this, but as everyone is saying, she's curable, and that's the main thing. She's a lucky kitty to have such a loving Mom and a happy home! :D

Weird stuff between Gracie and her arch-enemy (who, oddly enough, is her blood-sister). It started when I was trying to get Gracie into the carrier to take her to the vet. Bootsy hissed and spat at Gracie like she was seeing the devil. It scared the bejeezes out of my gentle giant. And it happened again when we returned from the vet.
I think cats ID each other very much through scent.
When my cat Scooter had to stay at the vets for a few days (he was diabetic, and boarded there when I went out of town), the other cats didn't seem to always recognize him right away when he came home, and did a lot of sniffing around.

Maybe Gracie is giving off some kind of different odor because of the cancer? (Dogs can be trained to ID cancerous areas of the body, so there is obviously some kind of odor that we can't perceive, but they can.)

What a completely adorable fluffly little cat... Your story brought a tear to my eye - So glad that you found it early enough, we all know how resourceful our cats can be and I'm sure she'll come up with a new tool of annoyance :)

I'm sorry that there is something wrong with your beautiful girl (and from her pictures, I can see she is a BEAUTIFUL, sweet bundle of fur)... but am happy to hear that she will recover. You will still think she is beautiful even without all of her tail... and she will know that and know she is beautiful too. Keep us posted ...

I'm working a lot of overtime and still hitting the gym after work so it's not unusual for me to be going to bed at 4:30am. Hey, those vet bills aren't going to pay themselves :confused:. Anyway, this morning I finally got fed up and I went downstairs, picked up my Jelly Belly, brought her upstairs (she didn't struggle too bad), and plopped her on the bed. I snuggled and cuddled with her and she alternated between loving the attention and looking nervous as Bootsy (clearly pi**ed) watched. She hung out for a while then left. She's back downstairs...

Sometimes, I show the pictures I took of Bootsy and Gracie as babies to Bootsy and say "See. You guys used to be FRIENDS! What happened?" :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.