Kirstie Alley on Oprah today

I'm on the east coast and saw this show yesterday. It's funny how as soon as she stopped working for Jenny Craig she stopped exercising.

I'm on the east coast and saw this show yesterday. It's funny how as soon as she stopped working for Jenny Craig she stopped exercising.

She said Jenny Craig had to weigh her every single day for legal reasons. When that stopped, all bets were off.
Kirstie is now working on her own weight loss program to market to the public. Some hype, you can lose 20lbs in 5 weeks. :eek:

I didn't see Oprah yesterday, but I watched that link. The woman who said that keeping it private made it more for the individual hit the nail on the head for me!!! And I never realized that's why I did my weight loss the way I did.

I ordered the Weight Watchers at-home program and worked out at home. I never told anyone i was going to lose weight. I thought it was because I was afraid of looking like a failure, but I think it was more because it was for ME. I knew I had it in me to do it.

And I just did it. And have maintained my loss (90 lbs) for 6 years now.

Kirstie has issues. And it is sad. I find it horribly sad that she feels she has to develop her own "fitness line" and make money off of it.

I saw this too, and my eye's almost popped out of my head when i saw all of her exercise equipment/machines:eek: She has every possible weight & cardio machine that is known to men....i was so drooling!

It's a constant battle, huh?

First on Oprah, I saw Eric from the Biggest Loser (winner of Season 2, I believe) and now Kirstie....Just goes to show you that it's a battle every single day. I've never struggled with this, but I feel for anyone who does. I know I struggle with doing my workouts, and eating well. I can't imagine being under the microscope of fame and dealing with these issues...

And I just did it. And have maintained my loss (90 lbs) for 6 years now.

Wow, that is AWESOME! Good for you!

I think Oprah and Kirstie and others that are constantly yo-yoing up and down need to accept that some part of them LIKES being overweight, or else they wouldn't stay that way, or lose weight and balloon back up. They have found their comfort area, and it's being fat. I beleive that people don't do anything that they don't really want to do.

My sister smoked for 20 years, would quit for a few days/weeks and then would start back. One day she made a decision, and just quit, cold turkey. That was it, she hasn't had a puff since, and that was 7 years ago :eek: I'm so proud of her!!!!

only one thing is

One day she made a decision, and just quit, cold turkey.

Its not easy to quit eating cold turkey (even though actual cold turkey is clean eating I think :rolleyes:)

Btw Thats awesome about your sister. I understand its really hard to quit smoking.

I think Oprah and Kirstie and others that are constantly yo-yoing up and down need to accept that some part of them LIKES being overweight, or else they wouldn't stay that way, or lose weight and balloon back up. They have found their comfort area, and it's being fat. I beleive that people don't do anything that they don't really want to do.

That is absolutely and categorically untrue! There is no comfort area when you are overweight. It is a vicious cycle that most people who are in there cannot escape. The diet industry promises quick results and people fall for it, bringing them down further and further in a downward spiral.

It is very hard to get out of this and stay out of it in the long-term without totally changing your lifestyle. Most diets are trying to "modify" unhealthy eating and cut calories which cannot be sustained over a long term. Our bodies realize that something is missing and keep getting cravings or binge eating attacks.

I was never overweight until I was "advised" by a clinical dietician how to change my eating during my second pregnancy. That didn't work so well because sticking to her plan to a "t" I was plagued by hunger pangs and binge eating attacks. Having had no experience with diets before I went through all of them, went to nutritionists, you name it, I did it! Last year I weighed over 140 lbs more. I can assure you that I was not in a "comfort zone" at all and it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. T

It wasn't until I kicked all the flippin' diets, nutritionists and other know-it-alls to the curb that my weight came off and I don't have constant hunger attacks and so far dropped 95 lbs.

If you have never struggled with your weight like that, you have no idea what people are going through. They don't like to be fat!!!! And they needs comments like that like they need a hole in their head.

Carola,
I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend, and maybe I didn't explain myself well. I didn't mean that they categorically love being overweight, but I think there is some sort of comfort zone there for them, something in that "works for them" or keeps them from exploring other issues they don't want to address, or else they wouldn't keep going back there. And I did say some part of them likes being that way. Not all, some part.

I HAVE been overweight, I have to work out and watch what I eat. I am not naturally slim. And I have struggled with some very real self-esteem issues that I'd prefer not to go into here.

It wasn't until I realized that my self-destructive behavior provided some sort of (twisted) comfort to me did I have the guts to change it.

Carola,
I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend, and maybe I didn't explain myself well. I didn't mean that they categorically love being overweight, but I think there is some sort of comfort zone there for them, something in that "works for them" or keeps them from exploring other issues they don't want to address, or else they wouldn't keep going back there. And I did say some part of them likes being that way. Not all, some part.

I HAVE been overweight, I have to work out and watch what I eat. I am not naturally slim. And I have struggled with some very real self-esteem issues that I'd prefer not to go into here.

It wasn't until I realized that my self-destructive behavior provided some sort of (twisted) comfort to me did I have the guts to change it.

I think I understand what you are saying. I am currently overweight by about 100lbs, and no I don't like it, but my self-destructive patterns of weightloss/weightgain have been keeping me in hermit mode. I used to be so outgoing, tons of friends, always going out, had boyfriends - but once I passed a certain weight (after my last horrid relationship - I plunged into glutony and TV) - I realized that in a sick and twisted way I felt safer, because as long as I was fat, I wouldn't date, and therefore, no one could hurt me again. So here I am, learning to eat clean, and I think I finally have that down - don't eat anything white or with sugar, and of course my Cathe workouts - and the weight is slowly coming off. Like the one woman said in the clip - it has to be a lifestyle change, dealing with the "demons," doing it for yourself. I have also stopped saying to myself, "once the weight comes off, I'm going to do ...."

I recorded this and just watched it yesterday...

As someone who yo-yo dieted for over 20 years I can agree that food was my "comfort" and my safety zone, just like other people turn to alcohol, drugs, etc. as their addiction. I hated being fat, but I chose that because I wasn't ready/able to make necessary changes to keep the weight off. It is hard and challenging, but doable. The journey is so worth it!!!!!!!!!!! In August 2007 I made the decision to NEVER be in that place again, I stopped dieting and allowed myself to change and learn and grow like never before. The mental/emotional journey is so much harder than changing what you eat and how much you exercise (IMO). I have lost 100 pounds and I've been maintaining for just under a year. Some days are so easy, some days are super challenging. It's ok, one day at a time.

I thought it was VERY irresponsible of Oprah to have Kirstie back on and let her spew about her new "magic" product line...lose 20 lbs in 5 weeks blah blah blah. Oprah is still falling for this crap! There is no magic pill or product. It's changing your mindset and what you put in your mouth and consistency with exercise. PUUUULLLEEEAAASSSEEE. Kirstie has learned absolutely NOTHING from her experience and showed it when she said that she was going to come back on in 6 months and be ripped. That's all she could talk about. What?! She only wants to do it for the publicity.

The only good part about this segment was when Oprah told her not to do it publicly and to take her time and get healthy. I was so disappointed by this segment, thought it really sent out the wrong message.

Sandra

I think Oprah and Kirstie and others that are constantly yo-yoing up and down need to accept that some part of them LIKES being overweight, or else they wouldn't stay that way, or lose weight and balloon back up. They have found their comfort area, and it's being fat.

I don't mean to flame you, but this is is just not an accurate reflection of reality for the vast, vast majority of obsese individuals. Like most other things related to human emotions, the reason that someone is overweight is complex, deeply engrained in that person's psyche and extremely difficult to change. I often find that people that do not have that particular issue have very little understanding or tolerance of those that do and tend to come up with simplistic solutions to the problem: "Oh, why don't they just stop eating so much?" "why don't they just go for a walk instead of sitting on the couch?" "they're fat because they want to be fat".

Morningstar, I clarified what I said before, so I don't want to perpetuate a misunderstanding and I certainly don't think I deserve a "flame".

And your post actually supports my point: there is a mindset to people that continue self-destructive behavior. On some level, continuing that behavior works for them, protects them, and they are comfortable there, and they don't want to change it. I used to be one of those people.

Again, I have been overweight, and I changed it, so yes I understand it is extremely difficult, but the difficult part isn't about calories, it's about finding out why we insist on continuing self-destructive behavior.

There are so many weird emotions which contribute to overeating. Obviously, Kirstie has a lot of issues, and she had a gigantic cocaine addiction. I can remember some of her television interviews from when she was more slender back from her "Cheers" days. She had said that she can't ever watch her diet, which is why she works out so much (back in the day) and for a while, that worked for her.

I can empathize. Many of us grew up in the era where dessert was a reward for cleaning your plate. Also, I had a rather rotten home life as a kid, and the only way for me to "escape" was to ride my bike to the Tasty Freeze and get a Flurry. It became a knee-jerk reaction to go eat ice cream whenever I wanted a mini-escape, even as an adult. I was able to remain slim, despite my atrocious eating habits because I still exercised, but my metabolism put an end to that the day I turned 30.

I feel sorry for Kirstie Alley

What awful pressure to be under ALL the time from the worldwide media!!! I would crack into a million pieces if people watched everything I did everyday. I think her weight of 118 was way unrealistic for a woman her size.(height and build). Obviously she has a problem with food and I think it took a lot of guts to put it out there, I don't think a new "DIET" is going to do the trick though, she really needs to make some serious LIFESTYLE changes. And as we all know, that is the hardest part!!!!

No one should judge because maybe her problems need to be seriously addressed by a professional. And let's face it, Oprah is the NOT the expert on this problem.

ellie

No one should judge because maybe her problems need to be seriously addressed by a professional. And let's face it, Oprah is the NOT the expert on this problem.

ellie

(emphasis added by me)

You said it, sister! Perhaps they should go to counseling together, and not at a Scientology center.

Morningstar, I clarified what I said before, so I don't want to perpetuate a misunderstanding and I certainly don't think I deserve a "flame".

And your post actually supports my point: there is a mindset to people that continue self-destructive behavior. On some level, continuing that behavior works for them, protects them, and they are comfortable there, and they don't want to change it. I used to be one of those people.

Again, I have been overweight, and I changed it, so yes I understand it is extremely difficult, but the difficult part isn't about calories, it's about finding out why we insist on continuing self-destructive behavior.

I agree with you, Govtgirl. When I first started to work out and lose weight (60 pounds and 10 sizes, thus far) I used to go over to the message boards at T-nation.com and argue with the men about what I perceived as their lack of charity towards overweight people. The general consensus of EVERYONE Over There (and the topic was about fit men and their perceptions of fat women, sexually) was that people who aren't fit are making choices that are wrong, that they know they're wrong, and they're too lazy to do the work to clean up their act. Man, did I argue. It was me against the masses Over There.

Now, 60 pounds lighter (and counting), I have to admit (here, not Over There ;)) that Those Boys were essentially right. I didn't think so then. But so many remarks made then are hitting home now in regards to my own choices and behaviors, then and now. I remember one guy saying something to the effect that fat people want the information fed to them regarding how to do it, then they want more info and more; but when you ask them if they're following the directions you gave them a month ago, guess what? They're not. I have definitely found this to be true. Everyone's asking me how I did it and am continuing to do it with a bright hopeful light in their eyes, like they want to know the name of my magic pill. But as soon as I start talking diet and exercise it's like I'm letting the air out of their tires and the more I say the flatter they get. They don't want to hear about heavy weights, protein, and vegetables and I'm wasting my breath. But if I talked about pills and liquid diet drinks, they could wrap their heads around that. Imagine. They'd rather drink their meal than eat their vegetables. Why?

I have learned that if you're doing everything you can and you're still not losing the weight and changing your body comp the everything you THINK you're doing is all in your head. In most cases, you're lying to yourself hoping you won't figure it out so you can still eat that brownie or those fries. In the end, it IS your fault and until you accept responsibility for your own self, with an eye on permanent change, you're living in Fantasyland. I know now I lied to myself for DECADES and once I really got serious about doing my research (reading everything is crucial) and getting off my butt EVERYTHING changed. And consistency was essential. In my fight with the T-Nation boys, though, I was very disturbed by the tone of their arguments. I recall saying at one point that I was taught to be respectful of ALL people and that if you're offended because someone else is fat YOU'RE the one with issues. I mean, why in the Hell are you concerned about the weight of someone else, someone who is minding their own business and not asking for "help" from you? My feelings on this still stand. Until someone asks it's none of my concern. However, my feelings towards those who constantly blather on about their weight, when nothing ever changes, are very different... Thus Kirstie Alley (and Oprah) really piss me off.

When Alley came on Oprah the first time I thought the bikini fashion show was ridiculous and her chatter indicated to me (and I was still quite fat at the time) that she wasn't truly engaged in her change. She was simply eating what the JC people sent her. Big deal. However, if you pay attention to the attitude of Valerie Bertinelli it's a night and day difference. I can feel Bertinelli's seriousness and commitment to a better LIFE. She may slide a bit but she's not doing the celebrity thing where she loses, gains a little, gets harassed by the tabloids, then loses, then gains... Bertinelli gets the whole picture and has obviously done the groundwork. You don't get abs like that sitting on the sofa waiting for Jenny Craig to deliver your chow. She is ENGAGED in her life. Alley just isn't. She's too invested in being the funny fat girl, evidently unaware that there are funny fit girls, too. I was so irritated with all Alley's giggling and coquettishness during the Oprah interview that I finally got fed up and started playing on the computer, occassionally rolling my eyes at the silliness going on between her and Oprah. Kirstie Alley will never be a fit girl. Nothing wrong with that, IF she'd just shut up about it. But if she insists on blathering on about the okay-ness of her alleged efforts (with Oprah nodding along... please) I have better things to do.

Last edited:
Stacey - GREAT post!

My only observation/question...who the hell is going to buy a weight loss program from Kirstie Alley? I really think she's kidding herself if she thinks this is going to be her "next big thing". There's just no substance at all behind it.

ITA, she has issues to work through...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.