Join Us: Chicago 2012 Road Trip is On!

I'm really considering attending this, but have never done ANYTHING even close to this before. As a result, I too have many questions. Any idea what workouts will be done? I am soooo bad at step and fear making a horrible fool of myself if step is one of the classes. I'm also a bit body shy. If I don't look like Cathe and cast am I going to look out of place? I'd also have to come all by myself because no one wants to go with me :( I am a bit socially awkward, how uncomfortable is this going to be for someone who is new and going at it alone? It appears as though there are so many pre-existing relationships already very much established during these road trips. I fear it'll be like high school all over again! I really want to attend but the unknown is a bit intimidating.

OCD30,

Are you reading my mind??? That is exactly how I feel. Also topped with the guilt of leaving my family for a couple of days.

See my post which may help easy some of your worries:

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/help-i-need-make-decision-about-chicago-road-trip-287615/

I am so torn about this. I live in the Chicago suburbs, less than 1 hour drive from this Roadtrip. I know I will kick myself for not going, but I am pretty sure I won't be able to do it. For me, it's the mommy guilt more than anything.

Good luck! I hope you are stronger than I am and go for it!!!!

Susan

Susan,

I totally know where you're coming from. I live about an hour and ten min north of the city (Chicago) and am only about thirty min south from Lake Geneva. A part of me was hoping this road trip wouldn't happen so I wouldn't have the conflict on what to do! I also understand the mommy guilt. I'm almost positive my 10 year old will have a tournament that weekend for his travel baseball team that I will miss if I attend the road trip. My mother says it'll be "good for me." I don't know, a part of me thinks I should just go for it! What's the worst that could happen? If you both live close to the area, it would be easy enough to come home if you needed to, right? I'm thinking we should take the plunge!!

Good luck,
Amanda

Amanda,

That is hilarious. That is EXACTLY how I felt. I was hoping it wouldn't come to fruition and when she announced it yesterday I was sick to my stomach.

The family guilt is the driving force. If my husband would strongly insist (or better yet just book it for me) I would totally go. Not thinking that's going to happen. If he doesn't strongly encourage me to go I will insist we do something stellar that weekend. Maybe I will do 6 hours of Cathe at home LOL

Susan and Amanda,

Please come. You will have a ball. If you want to work out with Cathe, want to hang with others that like to workout, then come. Those are the only things you "need to have"

It's a very unique atmosphere. There is no judgement regarding ability or body. Some of us know each other from past trips, but we know how that first trip feels and everyone makes sure everyone is included. Everyone sweats and laughs for 3 days.

I hardly look like Cathe and crew (not many of us do) , kinda suck at step, have an 8 year old that loves when I get back home, and a husband that doesn't get it, but knows I do, and appreciates that I had a great time.

Then when the trip is complete, there are memories of the greatest folks, the toughest workouts, and a weekend with Cathe.

I look forward to meeting you. I'm driving 11 hours to see these workout nuts.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions,

Amanda and Susan,
Here's another vote for "Yes you should go if possible". I remember my first road trip in 2005. I didn't know anyone. I hadn't even done a complete Cathe DVD. I had only done the FitTV versions and not even on a full size step.( I did buy a full size step after signing up so I could practice before I got there, lol). I didn't know anyone except 1 person who I only knew from an on-line forum(not even Cathe's forum). Well I went to that road trip and it blew me away. Cathe is so genuine. The energy is indescribable. The other attendees are all there for the same reason as you. They are all shapes and sizes. Even different fitness levels. Each class you can go at your own pace, whether it is kick boxing, step or lower body blast. Modify if necessary. Before you know it the weekend has passed and you are giving good-bye hugs to all your new "real life friends in fitness".
Hope to see you there!

Jean

Jean and Melissa,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I am pleased to announce that I signed up!! I am freaking out! I hope I don't make a fool of myself. I need to work on my step moves, lol. My boys will be less than happy, but I know they will be in good hands while I'm away.

Well, Susan, did your husband sign you up or did the "mommy guilt" get the better of you? I know my kids were laying it on pretty thick last night! I just knew I would be mad at myself if I passed this up. She's only going to be 20 minutes away from where I live. How could I not go?? I hope you signed up and I'll see you there. If not....sorry :(

Thanks again to all the positive words from everyone.

Amanda

Amanda, so glad to see you are coming!

I am really looking forward to meeting Cathe and everyone. And I'm especially excited to meet some local people! I would love to make some friends in real life that are Cathletes since nobody I know IRL gets my "obsession" with all things Cathe. :)

Amanda,
I am so happy for you. Nope DH didn't sign me up so I am going to let it pass. Not sure the age limit but I saw another poster who was bringing her teenage daughter. Guess I'll wait a few years until they can join me... or I can hold out for another family one like Disney. This darn mommy guilt...it's a killer! But I couldn't be happier for you. Everyone seems so great you have nothing to fear!

Susan

Jean and Melissa,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I am pleased to announce that I signed up!! I am freaking out! I hope I don't make a fool of myself. I need to work on my step moves, lol. My boys will be less than happy, but I know they will be in good hands while I'm away.

Well, Susan, did your husband sign you up or did the "mommy guilt" get the better of you? I know my kids were laying it on pretty thick last night! I just knew I would be mad at myself if I passed this up. She's only going to be 20 minutes away from where I live. How could I not go?? I hope you signed up and I'll see you there. If not....sorry :(

Thanks again to all the positive words from everyone.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I've read your posts, and I'm so glad to hear you're coming. Just so you know, you won't be the only terrified newbie! This is my first time doing anything like this. I've never even taken a class in a gym! I'm awfully shy and introverted as well, so I'm telling myself that not only will I get to meet Cathe and have a great time, but I'll learn some valuable social skills as well :) I'll see you there!

I took the plunge and signed up too.DH gave me the green light. So glad I wasn't too late.... now I need to go shopping for some better workout attire!

Susan

susanzabo said:
I took the plunge and signed up too.DH gave me the green light. So glad I wasn't too late.... now I need to go shopping for some better workout attire!

Susan

That's fabulous!!!! I'm so glad you're all in. We'll all have a great time.

Susan

Susan,

You will be SOOOO glad you did! We all felt shy and insecure on our 1st RT, and by Sunday morning you have 100 new best friends and a renewed vigor!

There is no judgement, no one cares if you can keep up with Cathe (few can!) there are ladies (and a few gents) of all shapes, sizes, ages (lots of us around 50 and beyond!) and fitness levels. About the only thing we all have in common is our love for fitness and Cathe!

I'm so glad you decided to go! (reading your posts was killing me!) You will never regret it from the moment you reach for your name badge on!

I'm in! This will be my second road trip (1st was Disney). Hoping to make this year's Glassboro my third. Looking forward to meeting more Cathletes.

Susan and Amanda glad that you both sign up, you will have a great time. My first RT was in Aug'08, and I felt the same way. You will both have a good time

Suzette

seapd33 said:
Susan and Amanda glad that you both sign up, you will have a great time. My first RT was in Aug'08, and I felt the same way. You will both have a good time

Suzette

Thanks Suzette! Everyone has been so welcoming already. Can't wait to feel the love in person!

Susan

TexasLaura said:
Susan,

You will be SOOOO glad you did! We all felt shy and insecure on our 1st RT, and by Sunday morning you have 100 new best friends and a renewed vigor!

There is no judgement, no one cares if you can keep up with Cathe (few can!) there are ladies (and a few gents) of all shapes, sizes, ages (lots of us around 50 and beyond!) and fitness levels. About the only thing we all have in common is our love for fitness and Cathe!

I'm so glad you decided to go! (reading your posts was killing me!) You will never regret it from the moment you reach for your name badge on!

That's funny. I would have felt awful if I killed you anymore LOL

I felt great last night... this morning a bit of the jitters. Seems like a lot of downtime in the schedule. That's when mommy guilt will kick into high gear...when I am sitting around doing nothing :-(

I'll survive I know....
Susan

(((((HUGS SUSAN)))))

What everyone says is so totally true. Soon you will see for yourself and I can almost bet that next year you'll be answering this question for another first timer.

Come as you are and be who you are! If you want to sit out a workout on the sidelines, sit it out. If you want to jump so high that you reach the second floor then go ahead and do that too :D No judgement whatsoever. We Cathletes are a loving, bonding and non-competitive community. You'll get nothing but support with open arms from us :D

So glad you'll be joining us. Can't wait to meet you Susan!

Cathe,

I cannot believe you responded! I was beaming with delight, how juvenile. My 9 year old daughter gave me a big hug and thought that was pretty awesome too! She was also the one that was cheering me on to sign up last night. My 7 year old daughter was cheering me on as well, but that's because she thinks her dad will give her McDonald's for every meal while I am away.

I can't wait until I can bring the next generation of Cathletes with me on a Road Trip! See you SOON!

Susan

Can't wait, Cathe! I texted my daughter who is now a freshman in college and said I get to meet you and she said COOL!!! :D

Susan,

Yea!!!! I was thinking about you yesterday. I was going to reply and inform you that there was still space available but didn't want to be pushy or make you feel worse if the final answer was 'no.' I am so excited. It's funny you mentioned exercise clothes too, because I just back from Old Navy with some new "active wear" which was on sale! I had that exact same thought about clothing when I booked the trip yesterday.

Sam, I too have never taken an exercise class or done anything close to this. I am very nervous but am glad to know that I will not be the only one feeling this way, comfort in numbers!! Looking forward to meeting you!

Amanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.