HELP! I need to make a decision about this Chicago Road Trip

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
Help me decide what to do. I have never considered going before but I am from the Chicago area and this is too close for me to give it some serious consideration

My concerns/questions:
1. I don't know any other cathletes... is it going to be awkward for me to go without knowing you guys? Or are some of you in the same boat with me?

2. Do you usually bring your family?

3. How many people typically go? Is everyone able to attend the classes?

4. What else should I know?!?!?!

5. Anybody else from the Chicago area? Just curious on this one.. not sure it will help me decide :)

Thanks!

Susan

Last edited:
Hey there!

I am sooo excited about this! I hope it happens! I have never been to a Road Trip and will not pass it up!! I am from central Illinois so just a 4 hour drive and I don't know anyone so you would not be alone in that!! ;)

I say go for it!! :D

Natalie

I barely knew anyone at my first Road Trip and had a blast, so don't worry about that! You will make plenty of friends; everyone is very friendly.

I haven't been to a destination Road Trip, so I can't respond to the family question, nor do I know how many people go. At Cathe's gym, the RT is just for the attendees, not family, and there are 105 people.

I am planning to go to Chicago instead of the New Jersey RT this year.

Sorry to hijack, but I have a question, too. I live very close... do I have to stay at the hotel? Meaning, could I stay at home and drive in every day to save some $$$?

I think that the majority of us went to our first road trip knowing noone. I was scared to tears, but everyone is great. We all just have a ball, and everyone is very inclusive.

I have never brought my family. It's kind of my weekend. ;) But some have, and enjoyed vacation time before and after. We're pretty busy for the three days with 6 classes.

There are lots of tips that people post as we get closer, and there are tons of pointers in the old RT posts on the forum here.

As far as the hotel question, I know some of the folks that live around the Glassboro gym have stayed at their home and commuted. At a destination RT, the ability to clean up in between classes may be hindered. You veterans of the destination trips could probably offer better insight.

My last thought; if you have the ability to go and enjoy working out with Cathe.....go. They are just so fun. Everytime I go I meet another fantastic group and we walk away with such great memories, and to the core soreness. Chatting with Cathe isn't so bad either. :eek:

Last edited:
I am going and it will be my first RT. I am going alone. I won't know anybody except for "online friends" lol.

I am not staying at the hotel. I didn't really consider what that meant as far as cleaning up in between classes. But I'll have to figure something out because I don't really want to spend $250 for two nights just to be able to take a shower!

I can tell you that you will never regret it!!! It will be the BEST experience of your life! It's like meeting a huge group of sisters lead by the wonderful, personable & super friendly Cathe!!! I attended the San Diego RT a few years ago (originally from SD so got to visit with some friends as well) and it was simply amazing. The first time I saw Cathe was as we passed each other in the halls of the hotel- she was going to her room and I was figuring out where to go. After she passed by me... I secretly screamed "OH MY GOSH!!! THAT WAS CATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Prepare to work your butt off and to bond with some of the most incredible women on the planet!

Afterwords, when you workout with Cathe on DVD's you feel like you are truly working out with a friend!! Bring a Sharpie so she can sign any and all things you can think of! Sharpies tend to be in short supply!

Families did not workout on that RT, however, prior to the RT, Cathe challenged my darling boy to a push-up contest. He was in total shock when he got to meet her AND do a push-up contest. (Check out the SD RT site- he's the little blond boy doing push-ups on the video!). Cathe still remembers him and he gets all gooey when I tell him she says hi!! The photo she took with him is my Avatar pix.

GO!!! GO!! GO!!! It's like meeting Santa in fitness gear! :eek::eek:

Pam

I am most likely going. I am from the Chicago suburbs and even though I lurked around here for a while before, I really only "know" the people in my STS check-in.

I am a quiet & shy person, but I think pushing myself to go is a good thing and I might make some friends in the Chicago area who love to work out with Cathe DVDs like I do.

Chicago RT - WooHoo!!!

Hi everyone,
Help me decide what to do. I have never considered going before but I am from the Chicago area and this is too close for me to give it some serious consideration

My concerns/questions:
1. I don't know any other cathletes... is it going to be awkward for me to go without knowing you guys? Or are some of you in the same boat with me?

5. Anybody else from the Chicago area? Just curious on this one.. not sure it will help me decide :)

Thanks!

Susan

1. My first RT, I was in the same boat as most...I didn't know a single person (just a couple from the forum) and was going by myself BUT had had the TIME OF MY LIFE :D

2. The Destination RT's are very family friendly (although some women prefer to use this as "Me Myself & I" time. The resorts are located in locations which have "fun" things for all to do and keep busy while the Cathlete is kick, punch, crunching or turning on the AfterBurn! :eek:

3. All registered participants are able to attend all classes and the listed Activities. If, like in Texas there is a Nature Walk where families were invited (or something similar) they make sure to let everyone know. :rolleyes:

4. Don't worry, come, meet CATHE!!! & other Cathletes that share your love for fitness. Most of all do it for yourself b/c you know you want too!!! :p

5. There are many Cathletes in and around the Chicagoland area ( I was one but have moved *sniff* ) and my dh was born and raised there in Lisle. My son is currently attending the Univ of Chicago :cool: So now that you know...like Cathe says "We're In This Together"!!! ;)

RetroFit,

I finished my A.M. from U Chicago last June! :)

Awesome Jen! Good luck on STS, you're gonna love it. Just like previous RT's they will set up a forum for it and many of the Cathletes that register will create a check-in or a count down for the Road Trip... you get to know several before you come and it's really a cool experience meeting IRL after being friends for short/long time on the Cathe forum/FB :rolleyes:

I'm sure more Chicago area Cathletes will be popping up so keep an eye out and make some new friends b/c we already share 1 common one "CATHE" :p

Hi everyone,

My concerns/questions:

Thanks!

Susan

First of all I could answer all your questions with negative responses, but if I did, it would be for selfish reasons and it would all be lies. The purpose would be to discourage others to give MYSELF a better chance of getting in(just kidding). But I'm not like that and would never do that. I think going on a road trip is an experience that a Cathlete should partake in at least once in their lives.

# 1 - As a road trip veteran, I can say that you may walk in that door not knowing anyone, but you will walk out with some long lasting friendships. I went to my first road trip only knowing one person from the internet (meeting her in person at the airport on the first day of the road trip). Since then I put my shyness away and have connected with so many Cathletes, some of whom are literally my best friends now.

# 2 - I have never brought my family, but others have. Some husbands were registered and worked out too and others spent time with the kids and they found things to do themselves while the wife/mother was doing the road trip activities. Some took a couple of days before or after the weekend and made it a vacation.

# 3 - Sizes varies. I think San Diego was going to take allow 120 and about about 115 signed up. Daytona and Disney had less. New Jersey takes 105 and I'm not sure on what Houston had.

# 4 - Know that working out live with Cathe is an experience you will never forget. Getting to meet other like minded people is also very rewarding. Don't be over whelmed. The pieces of the weekend just fall into place and it goes by way too quickly. Know that attendees are of all shapes and sizes and different fitness levels. So don't feel you have to fit into a certain mold in order to attend.

#5 - Not from Chicago. If I make this road trip, it will be my first time there (except for being stuck at the airport once, LOL)

Jean

Just to clarify for folks who aren't familiar with the area - Lake Geneva is not Chicago, nor is it in Illinois. It is in Wisconsin. If you have to fly in, you'll essentially have three airports to choose from, O'Hare, Midway or Mitchell International (in Milwaukee). Milwaukee is actually the closest, so be sure to check all of your options.

I am most likely going. I am from the Chicago suburbs and even though I lurked around here for a while before, I really only "know" the people in my STS check-in.

I am a quiet & shy person, but I think pushing myself to go is a good thing and I might make some friends in the Chicago area who love to work out with Cathe DVDs like I do.

Hey Jen,

I am quite the introvert too. I am sure I would have a blast. Not sure if I have enough oomph to push me over the edge to sign up. I also have mommy guilt leaving my husband with our kids. They are pretty self sufficient at ages 7 and 9, but I have never done something on this large of a scale for myself in at least.... well 9 years I guess.

What suburb are you from?

Susan

Hey Jen,

I am quite the introvert too. I am sure I would have a blast. Not sure if I have enough oomph to push me over the edge to sign up. I also have mommy guilt leaving my husband with our kids. They are pretty self sufficient at ages 7 and 9, but I have never done something on this large of a scale for myself in at least.... well 9 years I guess.

Susan

Hi Susan-

I live in Homer Glen, which is next to Orland Park. I tell people Orland Park because most people have heard of it and not Homer Glen. LOL What about you?

I think my husband wants come along. His eyes got all big when he saw the two golf courses. :rolleyes: So he wants to bring our son (10), so they can golf and hang out together--just a change of scenery. I don't know how much golfing he'll do, it will be mid-April and the weather is still iffy.

I am sort of on the fence, too, but leaning towards going. I think I need to push myself. :)

My family and I have stayed at that resort. It's very nice and if anyone is thinking of bringing children, there is another hotel on the property that has an indoor waterpark (Timber Ridge Lodge) and they often schedule kid activities like movie night or games. There is also a stable on the property that offers horse rides.

The grand geneva resort used to be a playboy club, it's a beautiful location. In the winter, the ski area is open and of course the golf courses.

There are a couple restaurants on site and plenty in the area as well as a walmart, etc if you want to save money and buy some groceries to store in your room.

In downtown geneva there are many nice shops and restaurants and it's just down the road from the resort.

Hey Jen,

Susan

Susan,
Sounds like someone deserves some "Me Time" and what better way than getting to meet Cathe and work out with her in live classes. And if you bring the husband and kids, think of what fun they can have while you are having a different kind of fun. The resort sounds great.

Thanks for posting your questions. They are helping me decide too. :) I live in KY so it would be an 8 1/2 hour drive for me if I go. It would also be my first road trip.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.