Jillian Michaels

KarenL

Cathlete
Hi!

I am curious about Jillian Michael's dvds. Are they challenging? I am thinking about getting some but need more information.

This forum is such a wonderful source of information. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

KarenL

I have her No More Trouble Zones, Shred, Banish the Fat Boost Metabolism and her Ripped in 30 workouts. I really like them all and find them deceptively challenging given some of them are only 30 minutes in length. I'll sometimes do two of the 30 min workouts in a row. They are definitely a different kind of challenging than Cathe's b/c they kinda sneak up on you. I get DOMS most times I do them. I was doing a Jillian and cardio rotation a few months back and got great definition in my arms. For the price you cant beat them. Some dont like her demeanor but I dont mind it, supposedly the workouts that came out very early (which I dont have) she was pretty gruff. She does have more of a drill sergeant demeanor, but for me, I like that in-your-face attitude when I'm working out, I find it motivating! I'm most likely going to purchase her new lower body workout as well.

She has a new lowerbody workout coming out??? When???? Where????
I too have all of her workouts. They are good and different. Although I have never done a full rotation of her workouts exclusively. They are definitely worth in Target or Walmart.

I've only done No More Trouble Zones, 30 Day Shred, and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, but I have liked each of those videos. Even though Jillian uses weights in some of her videos, I personally use them as cardio videos because the workouts definitely get my heart rate up there, but the weights used are so light (3 to 8 lbs, depending) that I don't think one can really build muscle with that type of workout (not like you would in STS or some of Cathe's weight videos).

You can try a lot of Jillian's stuff out through Netflix, or on occasion I've seen her new releases at Costco for around $8 or $9.

I do think that they're worth it for the price. Her newer vids are def more polished than the older ones (which I had & sold on eBay). I agree that they're best used for cardio purposes, or at least in shorter rotations as the weights are typically light. I haven't tried the Yoga Meltdown, though I just got it in from Netflix, so I'll be givin it a whirl soon.

The only issue would be the impact, if you have any joint issues, most of her vids contain quite a bit of jumping (although she does usually have a modifier).

Her workouts can be challenging... I have one of them.... but I find her irritating as an instructor so I just did not do them very much (when I was not injured). Her laugh bugged me, this invective (NOT infective) giggle and then the fact that she stops working out to go stand by her back up people just....UGH!! bothers me.... I simply must like an instructor since I am working hard as it is and don't want the additional challenge of wanting to slap them :eek::D

While Tracy's view is held by many people regarding Jillian, I will present another side to it...

I don't even listen to Jillian. I don't watch her and really don't pay much attention whatsoever, other than making sure I'm doing the same moves she is doing or showing. I have my own count and my own weight load, etc.

I find that if you heavy up on everything she does, plus add in a few extra reps of whatever she's doing, you get an excellent workout.

I really love a lot of her moves... her variations on planks, her body weight moves, etc. I highly recomment her workouts from 30 Day Shred forward. I think her earlier ones were too easy and not nearly as effective.

One of my new favorites is her 6 week/6 pack abs.

Kicking up this thread to say that I did Jillian's Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism today...I rented it off Netflix. Wow..it was challenging which I didn't quite expect from the 'Int./Advanced' rating it has on Collage Video, but I tried to take her suggestions for 'advanced' modifications. The moves are all athletic...they would be familiar to you if you have Cathe's HiiT or Plyo from P90x, there's also some kickboxing and 'active recovery' core moves...but no true breaks so this really put my endurance on trial today. I burned 420 calories for this workout. :)

It's ironic! I just posted a question about Jillian Michaels and her workouts and I found this thread!! I guess there's no need to reply to my post. I have my answer:) Thanks ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.