Jillian M. said "it's mostly clean diet" not workout length!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
Did anyone see Jillian Michaels on Jay Leno last night?

Number one, she looked fab-yooo-lus, but then Jay asked her if she had to spend a lot of time in gym. She said (essentially): only about 3-4 hours a week in the gym....as long as I keep my diet clean that's enough.

Of course, rght when I was on the edge of the couch to hear more details, Jay goes "and that's all the time we have" :mad:

This shouldn't be big news flash to me, I got in great shape a few years ago workng out just 3-4 hours a week (with The FIRM, no less!), and didn't really change my diet, which was ok to start.

I'm about 7 lbs heavier now since then, and guess why? Because I've been a slacker, and haven't logged 4 hours a week for ages :(
I need to work on my diet too of course, but I'm not that LOOOOVES working out. I do what I can for health and to feel good, but don't want to put in more time than I need. Guess I need to head on over to LauraMax's current thread!! :)

I saw the interview! She does look fantastic! Just goes to show that the 75% diet part is true! Eat clean and you'll stay at a healthy weight! Add exercise and it just gets better. Exercise is also good for heart and lung health. That's the only thing a good diet can't help (as far as endurance goes).

In her book, Master Your Metabolism, that's the level of exercise that she says she been doing since she got her undiagnosed thyroid condition in check. She uses medication and pays more attention to food preservatives, additives, and how certain foods interact w/ hormonal function & production.

I thought the book was fascinating. She says she used to have to work out soooooo much longer and harder just to keep her weight in check. Now she doesn't have to do nearly as much work to get even better results. It certainly made me more aware of how many foods (even healthy ones) can impact our metabolism in ways you don't expect.

HTH!

It's annoying that she hawks fat burning supplements and such. I'm so glad Cathe never got into that area, makes me respect her that much more. Jillian does look great though!

I agree, she looked fanTAStic on Leno last night. I couldn't take my eyes off her arms. WOW!

Interesting about diet. And sad for me, that is MY main downfall, always. But it makes sense.

I thought it was kind of funny she guessed Jay's weight as being 230 and he weighed less. He was probably pissed! :p

It's annoying that she hawks fat burning supplements and such. I'm so glad Cathe never got into that area, makes me respect her that much more. Jillian does look great though!

Have to agree with that. I was disappointed to see Jillian marketing a detox program. Even after so many things have been in the press about how the claims are not accurate, the "waste" eliminated is actually the product, etc. Very disappointing!

Carrie

Honestly I'm just getting sick of seeing her and the gal from What Not to Wear (Stacy Clinton) on TV. I mean talk about over marketing and endorsing themselves. I've reached my gag factor but I would have to agree with 75% diet 25% exersize thing.

Honestly I'm just getting sick of seeing her and the gal from What Not to Wear (Stacy Clinton) on TV. I mean talk about over marketing and endorsing themselves. I've reached my gag factor but I would have to agree with 75% diet 25% exersize thing.

Totally with you on that one! We saw her on a commercial last night and I said the same thing to my boyfriend. I respect her for how far she has come fitness-wise but I don't...what's the word...I guess you could say I don't really look up to her on a fitness level as much as I do Cathe. I dunno, I just can't get into JM's workouts, the constant ad bombardment, and the supplement/detox things all completely turned me off to her.

In her book, Master Your Metabolism, that's the level of exercise that she says she been doing since she got her undiagnosed thyroid condition in check. She uses medication and pays more attention to food preservatives, additives, and how certain foods interact w/ hormonal function & production.

I thought the book was fascinating. She says she used to have to work out soooooo much longer and harder just to keep her weight in check. Now she doesn't have to do nearly as much work to get even better results. It certainly made me more aware of how many foods (even healthy ones) can impact our metabolism in ways you don't expect.

HTH!

My prob has always been diet. I can workout 3 times a day and really give it my all, but it hardly drops off. I really have started cutting back on eating and I do have a thyroid condition that's being treated so it shouldn't effect things. It must be certain foods. Even though I know what's healthy and eat mostly healthy foods, I want to get that book and take a closer look.
Autumn

It's annoying that she hawks fat burning supplements and such.

I agree. I used to like her. I thought it would be great to have someone scream at me to move my fat butt but then I saw the comercials for the supplements. Anyone who is a fitness expert would NOT be hawking this stuff. I lost respect for her.

i'm sick of her today. once she came out with her own line of weight loss supplements i lost all respect for her. to me she has just jumped on the money making banwagon

hmmm, i don't know that much about her, but i have definitely found that my diet makes a HUGH difference. i can workout til the cows come home, but i have lost 3#'s doing WW just logging what i eat. but, i kinda have slacked the last few days, need to get back to it!!! i just LOVE to eat.:)
cathy

I'm anticipating never being able to post again if this question is taken the wrong way. :confused: But it is just an honest question, not a criticism because personally I don't have a problem with people marketing their name/self/etc. If they can find a way to make money, more power to them!
SO the question is,how is Jillian promoting supplements (or whatever item bothers people) different from Cathe promoting Eggland's Best? Food products and supplements go pretty much hand in hand so why the extreme disapproval for one and not the other? Just wondering? :confused:
Like I said, neither offends me...I think it is great that these strong beautiful women have found additional ways to generate income.

Becky

I'm anticipating never being able to post again if this question is taken the wrong way. :confused: But it is just an honest question, not a criticism because personally I don't have a problem with people marketing their name/self/etc. If they can find a way to make money, more power to them!
SO the question is,how is Jillian promoting supplements (or whatever item bothers people) different from Cathe promoting Eggland's Best? Food products and supplements go pretty much hand in hand so why the extreme disapproval for one and not the other? Just wondering? :confused:
Like I said, neither offends me...I think it is great that these strong beautiful women have found additional ways to generate income.

Becky

to me, cathe is at least promoting a healthy food and isn't making weight loss claims by eating eggs. jillian on the other had is promoting weight loss/appetite suppressant vitamins stating they will aid in weight loss for the consumer. i think its sad because people will buy these pills thinking they are going to work and at 40 dollars per bottle, the only thing guranteed is less money in your pocket.

She is good for marketing "fitness" right now. If you see her image you stop and look. Job done. That being said I wish she would have stayed doing what she is good at. I like her, I do think she is spreading herself a bit thin.

As far as diet and exercise. Everyone's body reacts differently. Some people can eat what ever they want go running and look great. Some people have to combine both. Some people just diet alone will get the results. What it comes down to is finding what works for you.

to me, cathe is at least promoting a healthy food and isn't making weight loss claims by eating eggs. jillian on the other had is promoting weight loss/appetite suppressant vitamins stating they will aid in weight loss for the consumer. i think its sad because people will buy these pills thinking they are going to work and at 40 dollars per bottle, the only thing guranteed is less money in your pocket.

Thank you for the flame free response! :D
I agree I was surprised to see Jillian market supplements, but reading her reasons for doing so made sense to me.

Becky

I agree with Kariev's reasons posted. I personally think eggs are a healthy source of protein and have been shown to be good for you. However, weight loss supplements and detox programs have been proven to be a waste of money, and some are even extremely harmful. And if "diet" (what one eats) is the important factor, why promote something to supress appetite and flush nutrients from the body?

Carrie

She isn't making weight loss claims, but the advertisers who created this know for sure that when people see her and see the eggs in the store, consumers will think eating those eggs will make them look like her.

She isn't making weight loss claims, but the advertisers who created this know for sure that when people see her and see the eggs in the store, consumers will think eating those eggs will make them look like her.

I agree to an extent; while this is true and def helps the selling point for EB, at the same time, the consumer has to adhere to some responsibility on their part. We all have the common sense and resources to know that there are more things behind 1 product that lead to looking like Cathe, including an overall healthy diet and an exercise regimen. Adding lean protein to your diet like eggs is only one out of many ways to reach that goal. I'll prob get flamed for this next sentence but I think today, way too much blame is placed on the advertisers and consumers have zero responsibility in their purchasing decisions. This goes back to the JM discussion; would I like to look like her? You bet! But did I run out and buy all her supplements when I saw her face plastered all over them online and on TV? Nope, because I don't agree that supplements are the way to go about things and I know that if I take these, I won't grow into a JM clone. It's not rocket-science, it's common sense.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.