It's not all in your mind, but...

morningstar

Cathlete
Recently, I realized something as a runner. Let me explain, first of all, that I am not a natural distance runner; I am a much better sprinter and prefer interval training to endurance running. But endurance running makes me feel more like a real runner- sprinting and HiiT running makes me feel more like I'm just getting a great workout. So I've been working on my endurance - building up the distance I can go without having to take a walking break.

In a recent 8K race, I ran 25 minutes without a walking break for one of my intervals. I had only managed that a couple of times before and it was much harder those times. This time, I had a lot more in the tank.

After that race, I decided to keep building up the time I could go without taking a walking break. For my next run, I started out planning a 30 minute interval, but when I got there, realized I could keep going and ended up doing a 40 minute interval. The following week I did a 63 minute interval and the next week a 65 minute interval. Both of those weeks I could have gone longer, I believe, but as a recent sufferer of ITBS, I had decided to build up my mileage slowly, adding only half a kilometre each week to my long run.

When I was able to do that 40 minute interval, albeit slowly, I realized that it was because I had made the decision to do so - it wasn't my body that had kept me back before, it was my brain.

This weekend I have a 10K race and I plan to run the whole thing. It will actually be right on schedule in terms of adding a half kilometre each week to my distance. Now, I'm currently getting over another damned virus (the 8K race was after a virus that got me down for 3 weeks) and I just ripped off a toenail, but I think it will be my brain that will get me through, not my legs. I have decided what I'm going to do - see you at the finish line, legs!

That was my issue, too. Now if I feel like stopping, I think of something else. Tune into my music, think about what's for dinner, my teddy bear, the good looking guy I saw on TV, whatever. I do NOT think about how far I've come, how far I have to go, that my legs might be tired. As soon as I start thinking about anything running/tired related, I lose it and feel like quitting. Once I started doing that, I started to enjoy running, now I'm hooked. It took my a long time to like it. Who likes something they're not good at? I realized it was my mind that wasn't cooperating, not my body.

I did my 1t 5k last fall, a 10k a couple weeks ago, and I have a 8k on 05/08. I also signed up for my 1st half marathon on Labor Day. I, too, have discovered its all in the mind. What is it that Coach Sean says? "When you're mind is made up, your body complies" Damn skippy, Coach Sean! Its my body, it does what I tell it to!!!

Good luck on your 10k, you're going to run the whole thing and rock it !

Nan

Love it! I was trying to explain this to my mom who doesn't do fitness. My mind is definitely my biggest enemy while running. Unfortunately where I run most is full of hills which makes my mental suffering worse.
Your race is gonna be great!

Awesome Morningstar! I still need to beat down those mental barriers some. Congratulations that you have gotten past that part! I'm feeling your pain on the toenail thing! OUCH! That's something I would do! I regularly stub my toes and end up with black toenails for about 8 months before they grow out long enough to fall off and start growing back again! I'm usually black-toes all summer long - figures.

Good luck with your 10K! I know you're going to do awesome! Looking forward to hearing about it later and I'll be sending good energy to you on race day!

So true!!

One of my favorite quotes:

"The most important thing you will ever train is your mind."

Cathe made me discover this recently too. I never ran more than one song on my mp3 player. My mind would be telling me "Just make it through this song and you can slow down and recover". Well I'm doing the April 2010 rotation and a 45 min. Steady State Run is part of it. I decided I was going for it. I did it. I did it slow, but I did it.

Excellent post Morningstar! I am still working at breaking down the mind barriers myself but I'm hopeful and encouraged by your post that I will accomplish this as I continue to train for the 1/2 marathon in October.

Good luck with your 10K!! I have no doubt you'll run the whole thing :)

Yes morningstar, I totally agree and I am glad for you that you have experienced this, worked through the mind barriers and found out exactly what you are capable of achieving. Good for you!

I always think we can do far more than we give ourselves credit for initially.

When I teach undergrads Spanish reading and writing classes in literature, they express shock at the start of the semester that I expect them to write a 10 page paper in Spanish by the end of it. They all crowd around my desk at the end of the first class and profess unreadiness, inability, incapacity, blah, blah..... I smile encouragingly and tell them not to sweat it right now because we will gradually build them up from writing one paragraph answers in tests, to several pages of journal writing and then on to several drafts of the essay, which gets longer with each draft.

Guess what? They amaze themselves each and every time with how much more they were capable of than they originally thought. Most of them write that 7-10 pages and thank me afterwards for pushing them. I always hope that the greatest lesson they take from my class is just that: it' all about maximizing individual potential.

Our potential is greater than we think, if we dare to step outside the comfort zone and embrace the challenge.

You are embracing it and discovering new things about yourself: isn't that cool?!!!

Have a great race! Good luck with the toe nails!!

Clare

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I DID do what I set out to do - I ran the whole 10K without walk breaks. And that's what ran through my head near the end - do what you set out to do.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I DID do what I set out to do - I ran the whole 10K without walk breaks. And that's what ran through my head near the end - do what you set out to do.

YAY! Congratulations! You continue to inspire and amaze me!

In a sea of 15,000 runners you are NUMBER 1.

I am so happy for you and proud of you.

:D:D:D:D

Congratulations! As a beginning / intermediate runner who needs to take breaks frequently (once every mile or so), this is a huge inspiration for me; thanks for posting it! And I'm sure it felt so great to accomplish the goals you set for yourself. :)

I started up running again in February, and I got into my Cathe videos agian in March and started running less. I ran for the first time in a while a few weeks ago and noticed I had shaved 2 minutes off my mile thanks to improved endurance and aerobic strength from her videos. :)

Yay, you! :D Are you planning on running another 10K anytime soon?

Thanks so much, Nan! Getting past the brain block is always a huge step forward.

Janis, you're always my biggest supporter and inspiration! I can't wait until you start racing so I can cheer you on!

Mercurial, I have three more races bought and paid for this year - 2 5Ks and a half marathon in October (gulp!)

I couldn't agree more with the OP. I started training for a 5K about 10 weeks ago. Could barely run a mile without stopping. Fast forward to yesterday, I ran a 4 mile race in 39 minutes without stopping or slowing down once. I never would have believed it possible but now that I have overcome that mental (and physical) obstacle, its on to 10k training.

Congrats on running the whole race without walk breaks! I'm inspired by you for sure!!

I ran 5 miles on Sunday but I did take walk breaks :eek: However, your original post was a constant in my mind and every time I started walking I thought, no, you CAN do this.

I'm signing up for a 5K that will take place the third week in May. I think it will be a good experience before the 1/2 marathon in October :eek: I'm going to try and get a couple more in as well before October.

Running totally rocks! I love it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.