Is there one job they couldn't pay you enough

I am a stay at home mom now but I was in social work. I worked with the mentally ill. Mostly schizophrenics and bi-polars. I loved it but did get burnt out due to the fact that no one really gets better. They would do well then bam one day they were back to square one.
LD

>I am a stay at home mom now but I was in social work. I
>worked with the mentally ill. Mostly schizophrenics and
>bi-polars. I loved it but did get burnt out due to the fact
>that no one really gets better. They would do well then bam
>one day they were back to square one.
>LD

My hats off to you, LD! One of my siblings is a schizophrenic and it's such a devastating disease. He has a fantastic case worker and we are so grateful for everything she does. I worked in psychiatry for 6 months -- that's all I could handle. It's just like you said -- no one really gets better and it just seemed so futile.

>I would NEVER EVER want to be a nurse...oh wait...I AM a
>nurse. That must be why I quit my job and I've never looked
>back.

*LOL*

I couldn't be a nurse or anything in the medical profession - I find the human body fascinating, but I just don't have the stomach for the unpleasant aspects of it. Once, while flicking the remote, I stumbled upon the surgery channel and saw an eyeball being sliced open - ack!!! I dry-heaved. I'm weak like that.

I am a middle school English teacher and love my job, but most people I've come across (including my teacher friends at the HS and elem levels) think ya gotta be crazy to work at the middle school level. *LOL* But I always got the impression that they were giving me credit - not insulting me - for doing what I do.

I think we respect people MORE for doing the jobs we know we couldn't handle.

Cathy :)

It in no way justifies your taking offense to something that was harmless & innocent.

okay then tell me what would JUSTIFY it for you? if you said so? there is no common sense in that if you ask me. if i was a proctologist then would that justify it? if i said that i was offended? am i not allowed to express what i thought? i read it, . . that's what i thought, . .so let's just leave it as that was my opinion and move on.

Well, I am offended for the people that don't have jobs because they would just be happy to have a job no matter what...YEAH, RIGHT!!! I am totally joking!!! Just trying to point out that anyone could find offense in anything if they are on the defensive. It never even occurred to me that this thread was offensive.

In my work as a psychologist, I see where we have started to become so hypersensitive to offending people that, at times, we do not give the full picture. For example, we used to say people who were very low functioning (in IQ, adaptive behaviors, etc.) were people with mental retardation (MR). In the past few years, the wording has changed and we now call those same people "intellectually disabled." While that is definitely a more gentle term, it can give parents the wrong idea. I have had parents tell me that their kids are not "retarded" but are intellectually disabled and just have a learning disability but will be able to be in general education on-level classes and go on to college. While I would love all intellectually disabled children to do that, their independent living skills as well as cognitive functioning are very low and it is not likely they will be able to do certain things (like live on their own or go to college). Like I said, while it is definitely more palatable a term, it just doesn't always give a clear or realistic picture.

So, I guess my point is, at times we try to be too hypersensitive and that can get in the way.

People just need to RELAX and not try to look for things that aren't there. We can always find something if we look hard enough.

[stepping off my soap box now]

Lorie

i probably couldnt be a veterinarian. would cry my heart out to have to put an animal down, even though i know it would be necessary. i work with physically and mentally challenged children and adults. i hear all the time "i could never do what you do".

i gotta agree with the proctologist job though....

suri

Most certainly, I could never drive a cab. I would be horrible. Bad with directions, nervous in traffic.

>My first thought when I read this thread was lawyer. I just
>find it soooooo dulllllll. I can't imagine having to memorize
>the intricacies of tax law or real estate law. Cesspool
>emptier dude or anything having to do with poo would be high
>up on my list too. Laura

Laura, being a lawyer isn't the most exciting profession in the world, but we sure don't memorize anything. If we memorized stuff, we wouldn't need all those law books. :p :+

Teaching music to hundreds (sometimes at a time!) middle school kids...oh wait, that IS my job! It's been one of those days....

>>>>Most certainly, I could never drive a cab. I would be horrible. Bad with directions, nervous in traffic.

omgosh, yes!!!!!!!! I HATE driving as it is! And, I greatly admire people who have a keen sense of direction. I once drove 25 miles before I realized I was going in the wrong direction. :-(

Oh, and I couldn't be a child psychologist - I'd probably cry every day.

I was just watching the movie "Twister" for the umpteenth time and it brought this thread to mind...I could NEVER be a storm chaser! OMG I would have a heart attack before any storm would even come close enough to hurt me!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I mentioned before that I couldn't be a teacher. I am, however, not upset by the thought of specializing in gastroenterology, urology, or gynecology. Actually, urology might be my forte...I love kidneys and if I have to do my share of rectal exams to get to them, so be it. :)

Becky

Edited to add: I will pretty much do anything where I get to cut. During undergrad (3 years of it) I harvested corneas from organ donors for transplants. Now that is freaky! (paid well though...for a job w/o a degree)

>A butcher
>
>The person who has to kill the animals at the shleter when
>their "time" is up
>
>Doing research on animals (not research about animals, but
>drug tests, cosmetics safety test, etc. using animals as
>subjects)
>
>You could not pay me enough to ever hurt an animal
>
>On the other hand...I would GLADLY harm those who abuse
>animals IF it was legal (and they actually paid you for
>it!!!)
>
>Lorie

Ditto what Lorie said! Also I don't have the patience for teaching children or daycare and I am deathly afraid of bugs so those fields would be out too. I'm very greatful that there are people that can do those things (well execpt for putting animals down at the shelter and animal researchers).

I love kidneys and if I have to do my
>share of rectal exams to get to them, so be it. :)
>
Becky, this just cracked me up. :7
I work in a lab and occasionally have to spend a day doing urinalyasis. Betcha no one wants that job. Or how about the days I spend setting up poop cultures? But I love it. Wierd, huh?

Robin,
I do think that would make me gag!

Becky,
Not to hijack, but have you ever read Stiff by Mary Roach? It's non-fiction about the fascinating work done with human cadavers - not just in the medical field (which I'm sure you know all about) but also how they help car manufacturers and plane crash investigations as well as the various preparations necessary for funeral home presentations, etc. Though I can't stomach "gross" visuals, I really enjoyed reading it.

Debbie,

I'm with you on that one.

I know someone who is a freight train driver. I didn't know anything about this profession, but since meeting him and got to know about the job it's something I would not do.

I noticed many on here list jobs to do with children. Interesting..........

Yen

I've got one - you couldn't pay me enough to be a forum moderator.

Also, I wouldn't want to be a fitness class instructor. Tried it once...all that perkiness. Not me. Let me stand in the corner, exercise and be grumpy. x(

I would hate to be the one standing on the street corner dressed in dorky costumes waving a sign to promote something from a store.

<I would hate to be the one standing on the street corner dressed in dorky costumes waving a sign to promote something from a store.>

Indeedy! I once felt terribly embarrassed for the guy dresses up as the Statue of Liberty during tax season (for Liberty Tax company) but he seemed to have fun....or maybe he was drunk.

Garbage Man or should I say Sanitation Engineer. That one I could never, ever do. No disrespect, but we all know what nasty things we throw away some days. I've even thown away our dogs do-do. It is always in a garbage bag.

But on hot summer days, when I'm out for my runs and a garbage truck goes by. Oh My. I could'nt even imagine how your clothes must smell at the end of the day after picking up all of that gargabe.

Dianne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.