Is it REALLY 75% DIET and 25% exercise??

RE: The fat flush plan.

Let us all remember here that there are also rail thin unhealthy men that eat whatever they want and STILL live to be 90 years old. Sometimes I think we worry about this all too much..

Janice

My grandmother always said...........

"Live To Eat and Eat To Live"

Food is your friend (sounds hokey), but treat it as such. dont abuse or take advantage of it, and most of all, enjoy living with it.

Hope that makes sense without sounding too philosophical.

GN

I agree completely with Angela. I'm thinking about longevity when I make my food choices. I can't imagine that I'll live as long if I chose to satisfy my caloric needs by eating crap. If you eat junk, it will catch up with you eventually.

I have lost 38 lbs by keeping a food diary, keeping a rough count of calories, and keeping a cap on the calories. I also average out my weekly calories in and calories out. I watch for trends. I've gradually increased the intensity, frequency, and variety in my exercise. I absolutely feel like a new person.

I completely agree with Maribeth about calories. "Calories in and calories out" has helped me to lose this weight, but the quality of my food has made me healthy and vibrant again. I do include treats, and I budget them into my caloric budget.

Yes, I'll eat sweets sometimes, and I'll occasionally budget in a bag of fries, or a few slices of pizza. However, because a healthy diet is generally less calorie-dense, I tend to keep to this kind of diet because I can eat more and feel satisified.

Angelica

This is true. I think that genetics and sheer luck are factors in the case of the 90 year old junk food eater. I also know some 50 and 60 year olds in incredibly bad shape because it has all caught up with them. We're talking heart bypass surgery and uncontrolled diabetes.

My thinking is that I don't have a way of knowing whether I've got the kind of genes (or luck) to let me get away with a long-term junky diet. I just don't care to take that gamble.

I think about what I'll feel like if I manage to live to be 70. Regardless of genes and luck, I can't help but believe that a healthy diet will help me live a more enjoyable life. It's no guarantee, but I believe I'll feel better for a longer time if I eat well.

Angelica

> Let us all remember here
>that there are also rail
>thin unhealthy men that eat
>whatever they want and STILL
>live to be 90 years
>old. Sometimes I think we
>worry about this all too
>much..
>
>
>
>
>
> Janice
>

Angelica,
Your plan is exactly the way I work it, too! Although I don't do a formal calorie budget, what you mentioned is a perfect plan.

A healthy diet shouldn't forbid any foods. You can meet your nutrient needs by eating primarily good things and have fun with the remainder of your calories--it's called moderation.

Besides, eating is one of the great pleasures--life's too short not to enjoy a cookie!
Maribeth

My girlfriend and I started our weight loss journey together in April. She followed weight watchers strictly and did just cardio for exercise. I elimated the large amounts of junk I was eating - but I still allowed a sweet treat daily and at least one unrestricted meal at a restaurant each week. My exercise plan was primarily strength. I lost 24 pounds and she has lost 22 pounds. However, I was able to eat more freely than she was. I think it's because of the weights. Although diet is important, I think exercise and the value of the exercise you do is more important. The eating part of my weight loss has not been difficult and I truly believe it has to do with my choice of exercise.
We work together and it has been interesting that people seem to notice my weight loss more so than hers - it's gotta be the weights!

Margie

MAribeth,

I know this has been asked before, but how do you figure out what calories your body needs to maintain and lose weight.

Thanks!
Debbi

P.S. I find this thread fascinating as I have just decided to go back to school to become a nutritionist-and I am not a young-in either-45!

Hey, Debbi,
There are a couple of equations that estimate resting metabolic rate, but they are rough estimates. A better method is via a new device called a Body Gem that takes an actual measurement of your resting oxygen consumption.

Based on your resting metabolic rate and your activity level, you can derive the number of calories you need per day for weight loss, gain or maintenance.

I think it's great that you are going back to school! I want to take classes on a regular basis from here on out--it keeps your mind nimble!
Maribeth

Thanks Maribeth!

Can a consumer buy one of these Body Gem's or do you go to a Medical center to be tested?

Debbi

P.S. Going back to school is so refreshing! Sometimes I think we forget to stretch our brains and shake them up a little!

I have one for our business. Some of the larger fitness centers have them--try a hospital based wellness center in your area. They're kinda pricey for the average person to pick up!
Maribeth

Thanks Maribeth! I found a place associated with my hospital and I think I can have my doctor write a referral so I don't have to pay!!

Thanks again,
Debbi

Personally I'd say it's more like 85% diet and 15% exercise. I say this because I exercised for months without dieting and lost only a few pounds. I've lost 27 pounds since I began watching my diet.

Jennifer Ann...I SO appreciate this post. I have been working out like a wild woman the last 4 months but not very devoted to clean eating, especially with the holidays, and have only lost 15 pounds. I needed to hear this, especially since you had so much success after changing your junk food intake. By the way, do you cook a lot? I am struggling to love cooking and have purchased Tosca's Clean Eating Cookbook, but haven't been able to force myself to make one thing. Can you maintain a life of clean eating if you don't really like to cook?

:) Elizabeth

Jennifer Ann...I SO appreciate this post. I have been working out like a wild woman the last 4 months but not very devoted to clean eating, especially with the holidays, and have only lost 15 pounds. I needed to hear this, especially since you had so much success after changing your junk food intake. By the way, do you cook a lot? I am struggling to love cooking and have purchased Tosca's Clean Eating Cookbook, but haven't been able to force myself to make one thing. Can you maintain a life of clean eating if you don't really like to cook?

:) Elizabeth

Elizabeth, you may not get a response to this, as the original post was 8 years ago! I found it quite fascinating that 8 years ago, people were talking about the same damned things we do now - clean eating, how much diet comes into play in weight loss, etc. Annette, I wonder if you have changed any of your philosophies in the past 8 years, or if they still hold true for you.

Certainly, I am not a "clean" eating fanatic (hell, my friends are lucky if I shower once in a while) and I find it really interesting what are considered the great evils of our time nowadays - wheat, dairy, soy, too much/not enough protein, even cooked food. There's so much we still don't know and we are still consistently and constantly told that such and such food that we've been eating for a thousand years is actually spelling humanity's doom and that such and such exercise is actually not effective after all (Bosu, I'm looking at you!) There are still no definitive answers on anything, but we all have a religious devotion to what we think is the right way to try to navigate this mess. We read the fitness magazines (has Women's Health EVER had a cover that didn't promise flat, sexy abs?) fanatically, hoping that somewhere in there is the shining light that will lead the way to the perfect body, ignoring the fact that there is never any new information, just some reporting on some new study that has been done showing that green tea will save us all.

Okay, rant finished, Morningstar out.

IMHO, this "75% diet and 25% exercise" nostrum is ridiculous. How can even you make those measurements, let alone apportion their importance in developing and maintaining a healthy body composition and performance capacity. My "diet" is about as dirty it can be - chips or Cheez-Its or cheese doodles every night, M&M crunchies each weekday afternoon, grazing on DH's french fries when we go out, smoked cheese and veggie quesadillas at Chile's . . . the list goes on, and I'm a size zero in a skirt. I seldom bring that up, but I think it warrants noting here.

Sorry I can't be of more help. All I can suggest to you is: let go of it. IMHO, it's a myth.

annette q. aquajock

You dirty girl. I'm jealous...:p

I think what we eat is more important than what workouts we do (though I haven't always believed that) and I don't mean low-fat, low-carb or low-cal stuff. I don't mean processed frankenfoods that claim to be healthy. For me, clean eating means consuming real, (mostly organic) whole foods that came from the ground or had a mother. Pastured organic butter, cheese, yogurt (and meats when I ate them). Whole grains, fruits and veggies, real chocolate, that sort of thing. I keep it really, really simple where food is concerned. It seems to work for me (and DH, and the other people I know who eat like the same way.)

IMHO, this "75% diet and 25% exercise" nostrum is ridiculous. How can even you make those measurements, let alone apportion their importance in developing and maintaining a healthy body composition and performance capacity. My "diet" is about as dirty it can be - chips or Cheez-Its or cheese doodles every night,
annette q. aquajock

ALL HAIL THE DELICIOUS CHEEZ-IT!

images-2.jpg

My position is that quality of calories matter, at least for me! I can do the "calories in v. calories out" and eat like Aquajock, and I won't lose very much weight AND my body fat % stays really high! That means that I can lift as many weights as I want and I won't get that nice muscle definition I want!

It really depends on your genetics (some lucky people out there like Aquajock can eat junk and be okay), your goals and how your body responds to both exercise and the foods you eat!

MHO - everyone is different!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.