ipod & dvds

slenamond

Cathlete
Does anyone know if you can load a cathe dvd on the computer and transfer it to your ipod? I have an itouch and want to take a dvd on the road with me.

Sharon

Sharon,

I use Slysoft's AnyDVD and CloneDVDmobile to do this. If you google, you will find a link from where you can download.

Vrinda

I'm looking at getting an ipod soon, can you tell me what kind/what features you have that you are able to do the DVD downloads? Or will it work with anything? As you can see, I am ipod illiterate and need to research more - any input would be great!

TIA,
Tricia

Tricia,

All current generation models of the iPod family except the iPod Shuffle support video.

The advantage with the iPod Touch for video use, (apart from its amazing, sleek, touch-screen interface and other uber-cool features) is that it has the largest screen compared to other models.

The advantage with the iPod Nano is that it is really sleek, compact and light for use during exercise. I wear my Nano on my wrist (the Touch will likely be a bit too big to comfortably wear around your wrist - it will need to go around your arm most likely - which makes peeking at the video while exercising tough). I mainly rely on Cathe's voice to guide me while exercising, but I can take a peek at the screen to watch too, during most exercises.

Here is Cathe doing Core Max on my Nano:
841514.jpg

And another in the Wristband:
841515.jpg

The advantage of the iPod classic is the high capacity to store lots and lots of stuff. With the other models, if you have a large collection of content (music, workouts,etc) it is likly you will need to keep swapping content onto and off your iPod from your PC.

I was very tempted to get the iPod Touch. The only reason I got the Nano was because the size makes it convenient for exercise and I love taking Cathe with me to the gym.

~* Vrinda *~

Wow, that's so cool! Thanks, Vrinda! I'm probably the person who would have the classic, since I really like the idea of having all my stuff in one place! And I don't know that I would need to view my workouts on it - I'm a stay at home with my workout kind of girl..

I would probably watch my TV stuff on it, though. Can I put books as well as music on there? If so, I'm in heaven!

Thanks for the pics, it really helps to see what you mean as far as sleek and not too bulky.

Tricia

Tricia,

You can put your workouts on the iPod classic and then connect the Classic to your TV when you want to workout, just as you would a DVD player. The advantage would be, you can create your own premixes as video playlists combining exercises from across Cathe DVDs.

The iPod Classic can definitely be worn around your arm while working out too (so you have that option even if you get the iPod video and later decide to try working out outddors or in a gym). That is what I did until I got my Nano.

Yes, you can put audio books, music and podcasts (many good one are available for free at the iTunes store) on your iPod as well.

~* Vrinda *~

Hi Vrinda,

So once the DVDs are loaded to the PC, you use the two pieces of software you mentioned to transfer the DVD's files to your ipod?

Then what kind of cable do you need to hook the ipod up to the TV?

Does anyone know if the upcoming workout manager and other plans Cathe has will make the software mentioned in this thread unnecessary?

Thanks!

Kristen

Hey!

I was just reading this post and I also have advice for putting Cathe's workouts onto your iPod. I personally, have a MacBook and the one program I use is called HandBrake. All you have to do is google it, it's a free download. It comes with instructions and all that fun stuff so you're doing things right. I personally love it. The picture is great both on my computer and iPod. The way this works is you put the DVD into your computer, you open the HandBrake program and select that as the one you would like to copy. It does take a long time, I tend to copy things while I'm sleeping at night haha because once you hit the start button you really have nothing to worry about.

Anyway, hope that helped.

Christine

Kristen,

There are many, many formats for video.

Video on a DVD is encoded and stored in something called .VOB format.

.VOB video will not play on an iPod.

An iPod needs video to be in something called MPEG4 h.264 video format.

So before you can move the video content from a DVD to an iPod you need to convert it from .VOB to MPEG4 h.264. Slysoft's anyDVD and CloneDVDmobile will convert the DVD to the MPEG4 h.264 format and save it to your PC.

Then you open the video that you just generated (the MPEG4 h.264 version of the DVD) in itunes. itunes is a free software from Apple. Using iTunes, you sync the video to your iPod.

The Upcoming Workout Manager/Blender software (not sure if I have the name right) will allow you to buy all old and upcoming video workout titles from Cathe directly in MPEG4 h.264 format and download the video file to your computer. The blender will allow you to mix and match chapters across Cathe videos to create your own premixes too if you wish, or you can use the prebuilt premixes. Then you can use iTunes to transfer it to your iPod. Upcoming videos will be available both as DVD and in this format for download. This is my understanding from what I read of SNM announcements.

More about Slysoft's software:
a. Most workout DVDs are copy protected. AnyDVD is a software that will decrypt the copy protection. All you need to do is click on the anyDVD icon after you install it on your PC, before you insert the Cathe DVD into your PC. Nothing more. It will work automatically in the background to bypass the copy protection.
b. CloneDVDmobile is a software that will "read" the .VOB format video on your DVD. It can convert the DVD to multiple video formats to suit different brands of players (apple iPods, Microsoft zune, creative players, Sandisk, etc). You select from the menu, which device you own, then cloneDVD mobile will convert the DVD and save the output in the right format on your PC. It is very fast compared to most solutions. It also allows you to club chapters into separate files (or video tracks). So you can control whether you want the entire workout to be one long video track (all chapters are converted into a single long video), or whether you want each exercise in the workout to be a seperate video. I prefer to make individual "tracks" or files for each exercise. This way I can mix and match and create my own premixes.

Alternative to Slysoft:
There is free software called DVDshrink and Videora (google for them and you will find links to download them) that you can use instead of Slysoft. You can achieve the same thing, except it is slower and not as intuitive/easy to use. Videora can only create iPod output, not any other format.

Cable needed to hook an iPod to the TV:
At the front or rear panel of the TV you will find input slots. You need a cable that will connect the iPod into these, to transfer video and audio signals to the TV. You have to be careful to buy the right cable depending on which generation of iPod you use and the type of connector your TV accepts.

Here is a great guide from the Apple site to buying the right cable:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1454

Apart from Apple branded cables, you can find cheaper ones at sites like amazon from third party brands. These work well too.

~* Vrinda *~

Vee,

Cool. Thanks for the photos. I'd wondered how the video would look on the Nano's smaller screen. *So* appreciative of your knowledge in this area.

Do you know how much space the average MPEG4 would take up on a Nano? At the moment, I have a 2nd. gen. Nano that is ideal for running b/c of its compact size, but I plan to upgrade to a video iPod once the Workout Blender software becomes available. I just love the idea of being able to mix & match chapters across DVDs. But I'm thinking I might have to sacrifice the compact size in order to have more storage space.

TIA!
Cathy

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/SnowBunny_tns-1.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

>Cool. Thanks for the photos. I'd wondered how the video would
>look on the Nano's smaller screen. *So* appreciative of your
>knowledge in this area.

thank you *so* much. :)

>Do you know how much space the average MPEG4 would take up on
>a Nano?

That depends on the resolution of the video.

On average my workout videos that I rip from DVDs are about 24 to 25 MB for every 5 minutes (Slightly under 400 MB for every 60-ish minute workout).

I am guessing Cathe's downloads will be a bit more because they will be encoded in high quality - say about 600 MB per hout of video. High quality itunes video downloads (from the apple itunes store) are about that much.

> But I'm thinking I might have to
>sacrifice the compact size in order to have more storage
>space.

Cathy, I consider my PC my main library of content. Every week, I make video playlists with the mix-and-matched workouts I may want to do and sync them to the iPod. I change the content every week. On my 8GB Nano, I manage to store a variety of music, an audio book, maybe a movie/TV show for commutes, and enough audio/video workouts for a fresh workout every day of the week.

Like I said that does not work for DH. He considers his iPod his libaray. He puts EVERYTHING on it so that he does not need to plan, and has anything he may fancy available at all times. So he needs a high capacity model.

~* Vrinda *~

Vee, thanks a million, this is really, really helpful! I'm excited to do this and the help is much appreciated.

Glad you found it helpful. :)

I want to add, it is not possible to always watch the video on the screen, no matter how you wear the ipod. You have to rely on a combination of verbal and visual cues - mainly the verbal. I can take quick occasional peeks while weight training, but that is about it because I am focusing on form and maintaining the proper alignment. I preview a workout very thoroughly or better yet do it at least once on TV before I rip it and take it to the gym. Cathe is an excellent cuer. None of the instructors ever envisaged that their workouts will be used this way, but Cathe is still easier to follow with a high reliance on the audio than most other DVD instructors.

~* Vrinda *~

>...None of the instructors ever envisaged that their workouts
>will be used this way, but...
>~* Vrinda *~

This is one of the multitude of reasons that Cathe & SNM Video are fitness video industry leaders!!! They are ahead of the power curve in all that they do!

The advantage would be, you can create your own premixes as video playlists combining exercises from across Cathe DVDs.

Hi Vrinda,

Thanks so much for all the useful techie information.

You might have answered the following elsewhere, but even if you did, I could not locate it. Are you able to combine chapters from different Cathe DVDs? When I add one Cathe DVD to a playlist, it is added in its entirety. I would love to be able to pick and choose certain chapters instead. Thanks so much again.

Kristen,

There are many, many formats for video.

Video on a DVD is encoded and stored in something called .VOB format.

.VOB video will not play on an iPod.

An iPod needs video to be in something called MPEG4 h.264 video format.

So before you can move the video content from a DVD to an iPod you need to convert it from .VOB to MPEG4 h.264. Slysoft's anyDVD and CloneDVDmobile will convert the DVD to the MPEG4 h.264 format and save it to your PC.

Then you open the video that you just generated (the MPEG4 h.264 version of the DVD) in itunes. itunes is a free software from Apple. Using iTunes, you sync the video to your iPod.

The Upcoming Workout Manager/Blender software (not sure if I have the name right) will allow you to buy all old and upcoming video workout titles from Cathe directly in MPEG4 h.264 format and download the video file to your computer. The blender will allow you to mix and match chapters across Cathe videos to create your own premixes too if you wish, or you can use the prebuilt premixes. Then you can use iTunes to transfer it to your iPod. Upcoming videos will be available both as DVD and in this format for download. This is my understanding from what I read of SNM announcements.

More about Slysoft's software:
a. Most workout DVDs are copy protected. AnyDVD is a software that will decrypt the copy protection. All you need to do is click on the anyDVD icon after you install it on your PC, before you insert the Cathe DVD into your PC. Nothing more. It will work automatically in the background to bypass the copy protection.
b. CloneDVDmobile is a software that will "read" the .VOB format video on your DVD. It can convert the DVD to multiple video formats to suit different brands of players (apple iPods, Microsoft zune, creative players, Sandisk, etc). You select from the menu, which device you own, then cloneDVD mobile will convert the DVD and save the output in the right format on your PC. It is very fast compared to most solutions. It also allows you to club chapters into separate files (or video tracks). So you can control whether you want the entire workout to be one long video track (all chapters are converted into a single long video), or whether you want each exercise in the workout to be a seperate video. I prefer to make individual "tracks" or files for each exercise. This way I can mix and match and create my own premixes.

Alternative to Slysoft:
There is free software called DVDshrink and Videora (google for them and you will find links to download them) that you can use instead of Slysoft. You can achieve the same thing, except it is slower and not as intuitive/easy to use. Videora can only create iPod output, not any other format.

Cable needed to hook an iPod to the TV:
At the front or rear panel of the TV you will find input slots. You need a cable that will connect the iPod into these, to transfer video and audio signals to the TV. You have to be careful to buy the right cable depending on which generation of iPod you use and the type of connector your TV accepts.

Here is a great guide from the Apple site to buying the right cable:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1454

Apart from Apple branded cables, you can find cheaper ones at sites like amazon from third party brands. These work well too.

~* Vrinda *~

Vee, my wizardlike genius friend . . .

The only computer I have is an HP Pavillion zv5000 fossil circa 2003. Can I download and of the software programs you have listed above onto this particular model so that I can start ripping workout DVDs to it? A couple of months ago I bought an IPod Classic that was a recently discontinued model with 160 gigabytes of memory, so that you can store up to 200 hours of video on it. (Bought it as a floor model for a fairly deep discount, cheapskate that I am.) I bought it specifically so that I could download Cathe's workouts, especially STS, onto it. Can I get there from here?

Please let me know what your consultation fee is. Will be happy to pay in Peanut Butter M&Ms if desired.

A-Jock

Kristen,

~* Vrinda *~

OMG, that will be soooo coool! I can't wait for that to be available!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tricia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.