Invisible 50s

kenja

Cathlete
Does anyone else in their second half of 50s feel invisible in the world? I feel at that stage where no one looks at you as a woman anymore and you just appear old except, you feel really young in mind and to a degree, body as well!
I'm not talking about your loved ones, but rather when you are out in the big wide world!
It's a very strange and frustrating feeling!!! it's like looking in the mirror and wondering who that old person is! :confused:

Wow.. I feel that way now to a degree and im 43. I think i need more friends thou. I have no kids st home now all grown up. What friends ido have all are in 60!
My husband is 53 but he acts older. He wont do anything hardly. So i dk what my problem is. I want to,go,hiking and things like that so,i can feel more alive. I think that would help. I thought it was just my hormones making me feel this way. Thanks for starting this thread

Last edited:
I'm 52 and already feeling this way. Why does everything have to revolve around youth? I know some cool people who are well into their 70s.

Yes, I don't get the "looks" like I used to in my say 20's, but I think that's because by our age now (I'm 50), we aren't either "on the market" or we're just everyday people. I don't spend my time looking at alot of people either..unless they're weird! haha.

Usually, I get noticed more (i.e. Walmart :) is if I have my dressed-up workclothes on, lipstick and some make-up on, etc. I think if you're pleasant to look at, people tend to notice you more.

On the other hand, sometimes I go to Walmart with no make-up on, jeans, hair not done, etc. I don't need to worry about impressing anyone.

I would tend to worry about it more if I was looking for a man. That would have to be hard when you get older if you're divorced, etc. But, then again, if you dress up and look nice, you'll catch an eye.

Interesting topic!

Im not even thinking of men looking at me... Its everything..
Women even seem like u r somehow disregarded. Not taken serious or maybe even to serious.
I still get looks at times so thats not the case, i cant explain it, it seems with me i just feel like i am insignificant some how.
So im not sure if OP thinks that or not.

Yes, I can relate. Although, when I feel more confident, I do get attention. Most of the times, it's when dressed in jeans & sweatshirt. Some men, my age 51, still look but date women just a bit older than their daughters. But, guys 35 years old, pursue me too.

I am the dissenter here. I will be turning 57 in January and I feel incredible! I get comments all the time about how fit I look AND how pretty I am. I feel like the clock is moving backward; not forward!:D:D:D

I wonder if I would feel differently if I lived in a more moderate climate and had a spouse as equally interested in fitness as I? Hmmmmm

Hmmm.... interesting to read everyone's comments.

I am 56. While I will say that aging definitely changes things, I can't say that I feel invisible. I think a lot of it is a mind set. I don't go out into the world with the attitude that I am invisible and don't count because of my age, and I find that people respond to me accordingly.

I would also say that I DO still care what people think of me. Not in the way that I am living my life to please others, but regarding how fit and put together I appear. That is important to me. I think if we let go of caring about that (at any age), we start becoming invisible to ourselves as well as others.

Hmmm.... interesting to read everyone's comments.

I am 56. While I will say that aging definitely changes things, I can't say that I feel invisible. I think a lot of it is a mind set. I don't go out into the world with the attitude that I am invisible and don't count because of my age, and I find that people respond to me accordingly.

I would also say that I DO still care what people think of me. Not in the way that I am living my life to please others, but regarding how fit and put together I appear. That is important to me. I think if we let go of caring about that (at any age), we start becoming invisible to ourselves as well as others.
Well said. :)

I don't feel invisible at all.
I think the only thing that has changed for me now that I'm 50, is older men are flirting with me. I get compliments from young girls too.:)

I think the best part of being my age is that my children are self sufficient, so I have more money to spend on shoes, clothing, and accessories.:D:cool:
And now that I have spare bedrooms! One of which I'm turning into an elaborate walk-in closet/dressing room for all my shoes, purses, and clothes.:p:D

I love this blog...for inspiration-
ADVANCED STYLE

I don't feel invisible at all.
I think the only thing that has changed for me now that I'm 50, is older men are flirting with me. I get compliments from young girls too.:)

I find this to be true too! And so funny! I had a friend's 80+ year old father compliment me the other day. I had to laugh... while it does seem kind of "ewww", it was sweet. He wanted to know how old I was and how I stayed in such good shape. I told him that I was too old for him! ;)

I find this to be true too! And so funny! I had a friend's 80+ year old father compliment me the other day. I had to laugh... while it does seem kind of "ewww", it was sweet. He wanted to know how old I was and how I stayed in such good shape. I told him that I was too old for him! ;)
JeanneMarie
highfive.gif

I am 55 and I definitely feel like I am becoming invisible. I do a moderate amount of upkeep and dressing up but no more than I ever have, but I feel unnoticed by men where previously they would usually give me an inspection of sorts, which used to bother me but now sometimes I miss. If this is how it is at 55 how will it be 10 or 20 years from now??? I am guilty of seeing a person over, say, 70, and just lumping them into a category of "old person", so I guess that is what is happening to me but in a different way. I first read about this about 15 years ago when I was reading Germaine Greer's book on menopause, she said the invisibility is annoying but freeing at the same time. On the old tv show Six Feet Under, the mother of the family (Ruth) and her best friend (Kathy Bates character) were in their 40s or 50s, and the Bates character challenged Ruth to shoplift a lipstick right in front of a young salesgirl, saying "we are middle-aged women, we are invisible" - and of course the young clerk did not even notice as Ruth put the lipstick into her purse.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.