Intermittent Fasting....weigh in day!

horselady21

Cathlete
Hello, all! I can't remember if I posted last week. It was a 1.2 lb loss. I had just switched over to a 16:8 with ketogenic diet but had a pizza party at work and bought a candy bar from a little girl selling for school, so it wasn't a real clean week!

This week was fantastic! Totally committed to both the fasting and eating only protein and fats. And am down 3.2 lbs!

I had to revise my first goal of 160 when I passed that, and now will revise DOWN again since I am so close to the next goal! I never thought I'd do this!

So very happy, and healthy!

Can you tell me exactly what you are doing? When you fast, do you limit calories? I am considering doing a low cal, 2 day fast, followed by a day of normal eating but monitoring those calories so I don't overeat. So on your non fast days you are eating only protein and fats. Did you start this journey doing that or just recently switch? What are you eating? I love hearing about your success! :)

Good job Horselady! But can I ask, why did you drop the carbs? I'm gluten free but still have complex carbs or I don't think my brain would function! Are you planning to add them back in to your diet at some point? I just wouldn't want you to gain the weight back if this wasn't a lifestyle change you were doing since you've worked so hard and had success.
Jamie

I may at some point add some carbs back in once I reach my goal. But your body doesn't need carbs. It needs protein and fats. Your brain can operate very well on ketones, in fact, there are studies that show it prefers ketones to glucose.

As for what I eat,etc. I started with 5:2, eating "normally" 5 days and doing 2 36 hour fasts per week, as in the fast diet book. That worked ok but seemed to taper off. So then went to the Fast Beach Diet, which is 4:3, 3 fasts and Atkins type eating for 6 weeks.

The more I read, though, the more I realized how bad carbs affect me. All the women in my family are diabetic, both grandmothers had amputations, and my mother has dementia. Reading about castings affect on insulin, carbs effect on it, and seeing how good I was doing, I just decided to go all in.

I researched all the different fasting regimens out there, and the eating plans, and I liked the Lean Gains method the best (16:8), zinc It works easily into my schedule. So I chose that fasting plan.

For eating, I knew carbs had to go. I went slowly, first dropping all bread, even whole wheat, except for once a week or so. Then dropped a little more. I was eating salads every day, twice a day, and it was ok but I really am more of a meat person. So I dropped that.

So, my typical day (I do still have one free day to eat whatever I want, which is alot less than it was !):
"Breakfast" 8 am deviled eggs (2)
Lunch around 12: whatever meat I made double of the night before...chicken breast or steak or pork chops FRIED in olive oil, lots of spices, usually with grilled onions and sour cream!
Dinner around 4 or 5: fish, chicken, whatever meat I bought (local grocery store has a "pick 5" for $20...just enough for 2 lunches/dinners for me. Again, fried in olive oil, seasoned. Maybe a small salad once a week if I feel like it.

Sunday brunch I eat a little more variety but still focus on meat and good fats. Snacks can be a handful of nuts, an apple, something like that.

I guess in a way, I am doing 2:5 instead of 5:2! But it suits me and it works. I do take a lot of supplements (vitamin c, D, potassium, magnesium, fish oil).
Everyone is different and you have to experiment to find what works for you. There is a ton of good information out there. I strongly recommend reading all the blogs on Intensive Dietary Management, and the book "Good calories, Bad calories". Those two were pivotal for me.

Horselady, can you share more about your portion sizes for the meat? How many ounces/grams? Are you snacking in between meals?

Yes, eating window approximately 8-4. Really, I am not a hard and fast stickler for that kind of thing. Some days I fast 15, or 17....I work in retail so it isn't always feasible to stick to a strict schedule.

Same with portions. I have never measured a meal in my life! I usually eat a whole chicken breast, or 2 small pork chops (not the real thick ones..but they could be), a large pork steak....the thing is, it's protein and fats, so calories really don't matter all that much. I eat until I am full. If I had a larger than usual lunch, I eat half a normal Dunne portion, or vice versa. I'm done counting and worrying about how many grams of this and how many ounces of that. Frankly, I don't have the patience for it, which is why this works for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.