Incorporating Exercises for Weaker Muscles

janiejoey

Cathlete
I also have this in Cathe's Suggestions Forums but wanted to see if anyone else wants this as badly as I do. If anything else, something to talk about.

Incorporate More Exercises On Training Weaker Muscles: In preparing and enhancing weight training workouts.

By doing so we will be able to lift heavier, posture will improve, more symmetry to the body… Some examples of improving weaker muscles I’d like to see happen are:

Wrist, Grip and Forearms: Weakness in the forearms and wrists will limit how hard you can work your arms and the rest of your upper body. It also would help and prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tennis Elbow.
Wrist Curls, Reverse Wrist Curls, Wrist Rolls, Wrist Rotations, and grip strength exercises.

Back: More exercises for the lumbar extensor muscles. This will help increase strength in the lower back. Also helps with low back pain.

Knees: Working the VMO (teardrop muscle) will help with knee pain and accommodate squats and wobbling.
Terminal Knee Extensions, Peterson Step Ups and Front Foot Elevated Split Squat. Using a foam roller releases the ITB and therefore avoids lateral knee pain.

Feet, Calf’s and Ankles: Strong feet reduces injury, improves posture, as well as knee and hip function.
Arch Lift, Heel Walking, Resistance band inversion, resistance band eversion, Ankle Drops, and the many exercises for the neglected calves.

Neck: Helps prevent headaches, neck pain, tension and doing a better job backing up in the drive way. LOL

Pelvic floor: Kegel exercises perhaps? It can't hurt. Helps humiliating leaks...

Foam Roller: Improves soft tissue extensibility, injury prevention, decreases density and over-activity and perform enhancement. Exercise induces micro tears and swelling in muscles fibers, which impinge on nerves and vessels. The foam roller helps smooth out these obstructions and break down adhesion's, helping to increase blood-flow within the muscle.

Cathe can include these and other exercises to have complete all around workouts.

Last edited:
My PT would love this! Started my fourth round of therapy this week. Round - not number of visits. I've seen him for 1. Posterior tibial tendonitis (cause: weak ankles and feet. Tight calves) 2. Shoulder pain. Ended up with surgery and more PT. 3. Back pain diagnosed torn disc (cause: scoliosis with heavy heel strike with running, weak hips and core weak toes ankh ankles and poor balance

Going to my PT has made me realize (again) this stuff is really important!

This is a great idea! Cathe could include a bonus chapter on various PT-ish like exercises pertaining to the muscles she works in the bulk of the workout. She could do this whether it was a total body weight workout or a split one. It could really help people lift more safely long term. :)

I would love this.

In the mean time, do you know of a homeworkout dvd that addresses these needs? If so, I'm off to buy!:D

I would love this.

In the mean time, do you know of a homeworkout dvd that addresses these needs? If so, I'm off to buy!:D

I've also been looking for a DVD for foam rollers and other items to help with the weaker muscles, aches and pains...

I found Sue Hitzmann products. Just search for this on line. She has several items for sale. I just now purchased her DVD (an hr. long) on how to use her products. I already have a hard roller, but will make it softer by using my yoga mat around it. Then for the balls, once I find out from the DVD what to look for, I may go into the children's section or dog section at Wall mart and purchase alternative balls there. As for the elongated foot message, I'll make one from a piece of dowel and put something around it to make it softer. What can I say, I like to save money.

Janie

Last edited:
These are all great ideas.

I would really love an entire "recovery" series --- low impact, steady state cardio workouts (enough for several days); maybe an endurance cardio that's low impact/steady state; and some strength workouts that target the muscles that JaneyJoey suggests. I, too, have some biomechanical issues, have been through PT, etc.

JaneyJoey is genius.

You know what? There is a huge market for this, too, particularly for those of us who intend to remain active as we get older. I don't think there are many workout DVDs out there in this category. Bet it would be a best seller.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.