I'm totally burned out and don't know what to do!

Rest is a must! Not resting and being over worked presents other issues aside from joint damage: Increased cortisol levels, hormone fluctuations, anxiety issues and attacks, poor sleep, mood swings, food issues (both restrictive and binge eating- not to mention throwing moderation out the window), muscle loss, extreme muscle loss for that matter, connective tissue damage and/or weakening, common colds, infections, intestinal/digestive issues, skin problems, higher levels of stress (which plays nastily with anxiety), and so forth.

I did what you did once, many times, and eventually the body will take what it needs at any cost. Your metabolism drops severly causing weight gain because it's in a "fight or flight" response from the stress over training causes. You lose muscle and it takes a long time to get everything back in working order again. I went hard and heavy with Cathe for a long time, getting burned out and still pushing myself to the maxxxxxxxxxxx. I paid dearly. To this day something like 4 almost 5 years later, I cannot do hardcore cardio or Cathe Cardio period. My body goes into a panic and it causes anxiety and heart issues. My body fatigues almost instantly and that lasts for days. I get colds almost immediately not to mention I developed Hypoglycemia which took 3 years to undo. Baiscally, my body fights itself. Not a good thing and I now have chronic issues I deal with as a result. I pushed the envelope too hard, too far, for too long and it's completely changed how I function with fitness and within my life in general. I might be an extreme case, but when you say "you can't take a rest" I find myself back in those sames shoes and I see where that mentality brought me. My favorite exercise was step aerobics and I can do it 1-2 times per year at most. And even then, it costs me. Our bodies are not machines, therefore cannot be treated as such. They have needs and if you don't give into those needs willingly, your body will take over and force you to rest. And trust you me, you never want that to happen, ever.

Long and the short. Rest. Flop on the couch, hop in the tub, take a relaxing walk and hold hands with someone you love. Stop, Breathe, reflect, listen, and just be. You'll be better for it in both the short and long run.

No, this is not it. Choosing a yoga video for you has nothing to do with burning calories and building strength. That isn't the point. You don't need power yoga. You need something for flexibility, relaxation, stress relief because you are wound so tight you will not allow yourself time off. The fact that you think allowing your body to recover from pregnancy and childbirth is tantamount to "making excuses" makes that clear. So, the fact that I took time to recover from my pregnancies and childbirth makes me a loser in your eyes? That I was making excuses? Do you see the implications of your current mind set on fitness and exercise? You are judging yourself and everyone else.

I am going to suggest to you that your problem is not physical, it is psychological. You drive yourself too hard, it is on a par with physical, self-punishment. Why do you think you cannot take time off, that your ind and body don't need it and don't deserve it?

This is a type of exercise bulimia and it isn't making you healthy. Or happy either, I imagine.

Please consider doing some research on this issue and reading and perhaps consulting a therapist, to see how you fit this pattern, to try to find out why you are punishing yourself and how you can lead a happier, healthier life.

The first step is to get beyond the denial. Denial that you do indeed fit this pattern. Hopefully, the fact that you have come here to seek help in a public forum will help you overcome denial. You have asked for help because there is a problem here to resolve.

I wish you luck on your journey. Certainly, there are women here on these forums who will understand and empathize.

Clare

Having Exercise Anorexia and Bulimia myself (recovered, thankfully) I agree 200% with this post.

rest is not an excuse. Childbirth is not an excuse. Living life is not an excuse. What my therapists taught me is that exercise is meant to enhance life, not be something we work life around. It's not about the fitness for you, it's mental. It's failure. It's something you are running from... a fear of fatness perhaps? Something. Youare using this as a means to both escape/run but also for validation and self righteousness. That by doing what you are doing you are better. You need to prove you are better... than everyone including YOU. It goes so much deeper than taking a rest day or week. This is about living a happy and ALL AROUND healthy life. Since you have children, I would encourage to seek help. Because children monkey-see, monkey-do. They will learn to behave as such with food exercise or go the complete opposite in time out of rebellion. Disorder eating and exercise habbits are often learned from loved ones and close relationships.

This is an amazing thread. This is my week off from work and was suppose to be my week off from workouts but that hasn't happened. I have a hard time allowing myself more then 2 days off. This thread is very inspirational. You guys are great!

Lourdes,
I agree with everyone else - take some time off. 2 weeks, maybe even 3-4. You need to let your body recover, that is very important. And I agree with Maddiesmom whole-heartedly!!! Excellent post! You need to print that out and read it over and over again. YOU NEED REST!!

My favorite yoga workouts are:
Cathe's Yoga Max (of course!)
Cathe's Yoga Relax (of course!)
Bryan Kest's Power Yoga Complete Collection - has 3 yoga workouts
Karen Voight - Yoga Sculpt, Yoga Focus
***Please note, some of these are power yoga and I don't suggest you do power yoga right now.

There are more but these are the ones I've been doing. I completely gave up weights (just started this week) because I'm in so much pain all the time. The weights are taxing my body like crazy lately and I've had to take 6 weeks off due to an injury. I am listening to my body and doing something totally different for the extended future.

Anyways, take it easy on your body. It needs to recover. Give it plenty of fruits, veggies and water and you'll be good to go in about a month! {{{{hugs}}}

Last edited:
yay!!! So proud of myself, I completed one week of just stretching and today I through in a yoga workout by Julian Michaels (yoga meltdown) wish I loved by the way!!! I feel amazing after just one week of stretching! I can't believe I didn't allow myself before to give my self some rest. I have been here before, actually consulted with fitness freak and she gave me some great advice, but I just wasn't able to go through it. Thank you all so much once again, I think I might give stretching and yoga another week?! :)

Lourdes

Rest is a must! Not resting and being over worked presents other issues aside from joint damage: Increased cortisol levels, hormone fluctuations, anxiety issues and attacks, poor sleep, mood swings, food issues (both restrictive and binge eating- not to mention throwing moderation out the window), muscle loss, extreme muscle loss for that matter, connective tissue damage and/or weakening, common colds, infections, intestinal/digestive issues, skin problems, higher levels of stress (which plays nastily with anxiety), and so forth.

I did what you did once, many times, and eventually the body will take what it needs at any cost. Your metabolism drops severly causing weight gain because it's in a "fight or flight" response from the stress over training causes. You lose muscle and it takes a long time to get everything back in working order again. I went hard and heavy with Cathe for a long time, getting burned out and still pushing myself to the maxxxxxxxxxxx. I paid dearly. To this day something like 4 almost 5 years later, I cannot do hardcore cardio or Cathe Cardio period. My body goes into a panic and it causes anxiety and heart issues. My body fatigues almost instantly and that lasts for days. I get colds almost immediately not to mention I developed Hypoglycemia which took 3 years to undo. Baiscally, my body fights itself. Not a good thing and I now have chronic issues I deal with as a result. I pushed the envelope too hard, too far, for too long and it's completely changed how I function with fitness and within my life in general. I might be an extreme case, but when you say "you can't take a rest" I find myself back in those sames shoes and I see where that mentality brought me. My favorite exercise was step aerobics and I can do it 1-2 times per year at most. And even then, it costs me. Our bodies are not machines, therefore cannot be treated as such. They have needs and if you don't give into those needs willingly, your body will take over and force you to rest. And trust you me, you never want that to happen, ever.

Long and the short. Rest. Flop on the couch, hop in the tub, take a relaxing walk and hold hands with someone you love. Stop, Breathe, reflect, listen, and just be. You'll be better for it in both the short and long run.

Very informated, but now you got me thinking. For a while now I have been feeling totally burnes out so much that little things like mopping my floor would elevate my heart rate gave me the feeling of strugling for breath, actually have to stop and take a breather. I couldn't undertand why or stilll don't understand why if I was in such good shape. It will be 2 years on August 8th since I gave birth to my 6th child and I still havent been to my postnatal check up. Always made excuses, I wanted to loose a certain amount of weight before I wen't back, really never found the time, etc... but I'm really thinking I need to go see a doctor and make sure everything is ok!!! I feel better now since I completed one week of total relaxation and just focusing on stretchin and gaining some flexibility back. I'm not sure if the shortness of breath when I'm mopping comes from the everyday stress of wanting everything to be certain way at a certain time and of course having 5 teenage boy's to clean up after and a little toddler does't help the situation. I run a small day care center and I love the fact the childrens parents feel confortable dropping of there kids in a clean house. I just need to learn to enjoy life, my kids, family and slack in all other things that really don't matter i life. Thank you!!

Very informated, but now you got me thinking. For a while now I have been feeling totally burnes out so much that little things like mopping my floor would elevate my heart rate gave me the feeling of strugling for breath, actually have to stop and take a breather. I couldn't undertand why or stilll don't understand why if I was in such good shape. It will be 2 years on August 8th since I gave birth to my 6th child and I still havent been to my postnatal check up. Always made excuses, I wanted to loose a certain amount of weight before I wen't back, really never found the time, etc... but I'm really thinking I need to go see a doctor and make sure everything is ok!!! I feel better now since I completed one week of total relaxation and just focusing on stretchin and gaining some flexibility back. I'm not sure if the shortness of breath when I'm mopping comes from the everyday stress of wanting everything to be certain way at a certain time and of course having 5 teenage boy's to clean up after and a little toddler does't help the situation. I run a small day care center and I love the fact the childrens parents feel confortable dropping of there kids in a clean house. I just need to learn to enjoy life, my kids, family and slack in all other things that really don't matter i life. Thank you!!

Hi Lourdes,
Again, this may be due to overtraining and your body just being physically not able to handle anymore. You might want to see your doctor, though, it's always a good idea to get a physical at least once a year.

Congrats on taking one week off and just stretching. I'm finding yoga an amazing tool for fitness. Please, please, please take at least one more week off. This off time is only nourishing your body. Good job!

I just wanted to say that I have started incorporating a lot of extra stretching and yoga into my work out routine and it's doing amazing things for me! I love it! Most of my cardio and weight work outs are no more then 30 minutes each these days but my yoga work out can be as long as 80 minutes and it's wonderful! I feel soooo much better for it!!! :)

I agree with fitnessfreak again on this one. I got to the point that walking to my mailbox would induce vomitting. I went from being able to do 90-120 minutes of vigerous activity to barely being able to climb the stairs to my bedroom. I would get to winded, so tired, my husband had to take over all household chores and help me to bed each night. Overtraining is a very serious thing. People have developed Addison's Disease, osteoperosis, Adrenal fatigue, and other serious illnesses, many effecting the heart, liver, and kidneys (I cannot think of the name for the syndrome in particular). Losing weight, living by the scale, tape measure, jean size, and other physical goals can really hinder life and in fact, impact it's quality. Nothing is ever worth risking your health and too much of a good thing is bad. Living a healthy life and being a healthy person doesn't always = "the perfect" size or weight.

Ugh!!! I grew up with 6 brothers and 6 sisters and all my brother and sister where somewhat over weight. I was always the one who was not over weight but had chunkie cheeks. I remember growing up and strangers, mail carriers would always pinch my cheeks and say your so cute, pretty, etc. I always felt like I didn't belong because old family freinds would come and always, always ask and who is this pretty girl, they where always surprise I was my parents daughter. I always felf preasure to look a certain way, specially when I got engaged when I was 18 and like almost every women who is going to get married and want's to loose weight I joined a pilates studio and people started given me compliments on how my body was leaning out. From that day forward I started obsessing with my weight and I new that wheather I had chldren or not I would never let myself get fat. I almost felt like if my family wanted me to get fat, so the preasure of looking a certain way would make me work even harder. Now that I have a daughter I don't know if telling my daughter how pretty she is, is a good thing I don't want her to feel preasure of looking a certain way, so much that it effects her life. I know for me now, I avoid going places, visiting my family specially if I havent seen them for a long time, because I'm always afraid that they will talk among themselves and critique me. I came into the United States when I was 8 years old and becuase I ddn't speak any english I was put in kindergarden at the time I din't know better. I didn't get to graduate from 8th grade or high school because I never really learned to study I was just one of those kids that was jumped to high school because of my age. I loved school but just wasn't able to learn so I got a job and dropped out of high schoool. Being a mom and my excersise is something I have never failed at, I think thats one of the reasons I keep wanting chidren and work so hard at my workouts, because I get compliments all the time. Anyways my point is that sometimes your child hood has al lot to do with how you handle life and what you do in life. Till this day not having the proper education is effecting somewhat because I don't know what I'm going to do once my chidlren are older. I have always been a good worker and when your a hard worker it pays off, so they would always want to give me a higher title and I would panick and quit because I knew I wasn't capable. Thank you for listening.

Lourdes

Ugh!!! I grew up with 6 brothers and 6 sisters and all my brother and sister where somewhat over weight. I was always the one who was not over weight but had chunkie cheeks. I remember growing up and strangers, mail carriers would always pinch my cheeks and say your so cute, pretty, etc. I always felt like I didn't belong because old family freinds would come and always, always ask and who is this pretty girl, they where always surprise I was my parents daughter. I always felf preasure to look a certain way, specially when I got engaged when I was 18 and like almost every women who is going to get married and want's to loose weight I joined a pilates studio and people started given me compliments on how my body was leaning out. From that day forward I started obsessing with my weight and I knew that whether I had chldren or not I would never let myself get fat. I almost felt like if my family wanted me to get fat, so the preasure of looking a certain way would make me work even harder. Now that I have a daughter I don't know if telling my daughter how pretty she is, is a good thing I don't want her to feel preasure of looking a certain way, so much that it effects her life. I know for me now, I avoid going places, visiting my family specially if I havent seen them for a long time, because I'm always afraid that they will talk among themselves and critique me. I came into the United States when I was 8 years old and becuase I ddn't speak any english I was put in kindergarden at the time I din't know better. I didn't get to graduate from 8th grade or high school because I never really learned to study I was just one of those kids that was jumped to high school because of my age. I loved school but just wasn't able to learn so I got a job and dropped out of high schoool. Being a mom and my excersise is something I have never failed at, I think thats one of the reasons I keep wanting chidren and work so hard at my workouts, because I get compliments all the time. Anyways my point is that sometimes your child hood has al lot to do with how you handle life and what you do in life. Till this day not having the proper education is effecting somewhat because I don't know what I'm going to do once my chidlren are older. I have always been a good worker and when your a hard worker it pays off, so they would always want to give me a higher title and I would panick and quit because I knew I wasn't capable. Thank you for listening.

Lourdes

Lourdes, I bolded the sentence I wanted to comment on. I know exactly what you mean and I did the same thing. I obsessed about my body image so much that it effected my life - my relationships. I didn't want to see family or go anywhere for fear of eating. EATING. OMG. I constantly counted every calorie, fat, protein, etc. Finally, I woke up and realized that I wasn't going to compete as a professional and I realized how much I was missing in life because I was so obsessed about eating. I relaxed, kept up with my workouts but gave myself some freedom with food. Yes, I've gained about 10 pounds, but I have never felt better. I feel strong and I look healthy.

Plus there is a different between a little excess weight and being fat. I will NEVER let myself get fat, but being a little fuller doesn't bother me at all. And I even have some boobage now! :D

We just need to keep perspective of our bodies and what we are doing to it. Sometimes the strict training and eating isn't always the healthiest choice.

Let go and live a little. You won't regret it, my friend.

I've worn those shoes as well! Eating disorders are a brutal, nasty thing. I started using SParkpeople.com before I got married and it became my life, it was my priority those numbers. I got back to where I was in high school and felt like I was finally worth something. Then all of the sickness, injuries, surgeries, and recovery happened. I gained most of the weight back. Coming from a different perspective than you, I was happy to gain it back. Being "Fat" as it has been said here isn't a bad thing. I think that word does more harm than good. For some reason people equate "Fat" with horrible things like laziness, sloth, stupidity, unattractiveness, gross, etc. "Fat" simply means you have fat on your body, it does not define you, your personality, and your ethics, including work ethic. I swore I would never let myself look anything close to this again, but it happened. Is it the end of the world? No way! I have never been more happy in my life. For the first time ever, I can wake with a smile, sit alone in a restaurant and eat freely, be around my family members and food at the same time (that was a huge phobia for me; being judged), and yes, I can even sit naked in front of my husband and laugh like there's no tomorrow. I am finally for the first time in life, me.

Being fat isn't the end of the world and it doesn't define who you are as a person. Don't let one word hold so much power of yourself. Since I have embraced my life and allowed life to happen instead of trying to control everything, the world is a better and brighter place. I was also losing weight without trying (before pregnancy). But even then with pregnancy I don't have the fears of fatness and not being able to look a certain way again. Every once in a while that voice starts up, but I dismiss it immediately. Negative thoughts about my life and my body will no longer rule my life and I will not be afraid to let my body do it's natural thing. I tried for years to force myself to be smaller than I was designed to be and it caused me to rebound in the other direction. With time and love, I will slowly get back to where my body wants it without a fight. If it's higher than my BMI or society says is ok, you know what? Too bad. There are worse things in life to be than "fat".

I'm happy these days, you can't put a price on that.

Everybody burns out sometimes and it is not your age

After I ran the NYC marathon, I did not run for about six months. During that time, I was also going through a very difficult divorce, and my doctor put me on a drug that caused me to gain weight, and I ballooned up to 150 pounds at the short height of 5'2". Now I am a healthy 109 to 112, and I never want to be that heavy again. I remember being so ashamed.

Mrs. Princess

Have you had bloodwork done? It almost sounds as if you could be ill. Please see a doctor, if you have not already. As far as your weight goes, you can still be over your ideal weight and be physically fit. Many overweight people put skinny ones to shame.

Lulu

Thank you for all your help girls! I don't own any yoga vidoes, can someone recomend a yoga video that I can purchase from my local walmart, target, sports store? Thank again!!!

Lourdes

Rainbeau Mars has great yoga videos, and you can buy hers on amazon.com. I used to think yoga was a pansy workout until I started doing it. As far as my exercise goes in the summer, I am on the top floor of my building, and I can do no cardio. I just alternate my upper and lower body with weights. It is 80 degrees in here with two AC's running.

Have you had bloodwork done? It almost sounds as if you could be ill. Please see a doctor, if you have not already. As far as your weight goes, you can still be over your ideal weight and be physically fit. Many overweight people put skinny ones to shame.

I've already taken care of it. I stated my history to show that overtraining is a real thing. Medical intervention helped. But many of my *side effects* will be life-long thanks to my constantly pushing too hard. A lesson learned hopefully for more people than just myself.

I used to do crazy things

such as running a half marthon and then running 8 miles the next day. I can stilll jump and run, but I have to wear a knee brace now. I never listened to my body.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.