I'm surprised

Okay, so when do you use that vs. which?

I think I get that one wrong frequently. But since English is not my native language I have an excuse :cool::p

And thanks Jonezie and Lainie, now I want icecream :mad::mad:

I don't know if I can explain that vs. which very well. At least not right now when I'm in a hurry (gotta go feed my rugrats soon).

You may want ice cream but now I'm craving genuine Tex-Mex. (And where I grew up, we'd say that "gen-you-wine". ;)

Okay, so when do you use that vs. which?

I think I get that one wrong frequently. But since English is not my native language I have an excuse :cool::p

And thanks Jonezie and Lainie, now I want icecream :mad::mad:

Let me clarify... My pet peeve doesn't really come with people who misuse that and which, but I am sensitive to those who don't place a comma in front of "which," which usually is necessary. You put the comma in front of which because which introduces a non-essential phrase. That is used with essential phrases... this lady explains it better:

http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp

And thank you ladies for now making me crave some Bluebell icecream, WHICH we do have down here!! :p

I knew a gentleman once.....who used to say, "It don't make no nevermind." He said it jokingly but I know it was pulled from a general usage situation. I borrowed it for my own. :cool:

I always giggle when someone says "I have to carry my daughter to the store/movies/school etc." I picture someone physically lifting and carrying the person to wherever rather than driving.

Interesting Joenzie that you are a main component of the drama on this board...especially as of lately...and yet here you are casually talking about ice cream. In fact, even in a thread that was started as a commentary to that drama and yet here you are just acting like it never existed.

Did you register and post just to cause more drama by complaining about Jonezie causing too much drama? :confused:

Looks like Jonezie can't win - she can't post anything serious because she is accused of trying to moderate the forum and then she gets criticized for having fun with other forum members.

Erica

Interesting Joenzie that you are a main component of the drama on this board...especially as of lately...and yet here you are casually talking about ice cream. In fact, even in a thread that was started as a commentary to that drama and yet here you are just acting like it never existed.

There is NO WAY that I buy you are a brand new poster. Who comes on with their very first post with guns blazing?

PS. You CAN'T have ANY of my ice cream.

Obviously, we have had some problems the last few days in this forum. We normally like to give Open Discussion a lot more freedom than our other forums as far as moderation goes, but it seems we now have to take some more strict enforcement actions until some of this negativity blows over. This means we will lock threads that we feel are serving no purpose but to try to settle an argument or to attack another member. We will also ban users who we feel are creating user names just to cause problems. If you see a problem thread please click on the abuse link and we will take care of it. Please don't respond to people who obviously have only recently come to our site with the sole purpose of trying to cause a flame war.

Please don't respond to people who obviously have only recently come to our site with the sole purpose of trying to cause a flame war.[/QUOTE]

You could start policing a few of your long time members who routinely flame others. Just a thought.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.