If you ever want to lose weight......

nurse34

Cathlete
GET BRACES!! OMG, having braces as an adult has not been fun especially when extractions were done. Just had them placed last month along with the teeth pulling and have not worked out with Cathe in 3 weeks-(That is a long time for me). Has anyone had braces as an adult and will this get any easier? I am starting to feel good now, but next week thay have to be tighten for the first time. I will do a Cathe workout tommorrow...maybe step blast. I have to start building my stamina for the RT, hopefully if I get in. Thanks for listening.
Lisa

It DOES get easier. I work for an orthodontist and had braces later too. I didn't have to have any teeth out however; I'm sure that is contributing more than you expected.
We tell patients to chew gum right after adjustments and have had comments that it really does help. The first time is so hard because all of your teeth become mobile at the same time. Each visit is a little sore but not like the initial placement, I hope that helps!
Good luck:)
Calee

It absolutely DOES get easier. For me, the most painful parts of the treatment were the initial placement and the first time you get your rubber bands (if that's part of your treatment - I got braces to fix a bite issue). Each adjustment isn't too bad... you'll be sore for a few days, but nothing you can't eat around. 2 Tylenol + 2 Advil was a lifesaver. For me, pressure helped, too (chewing gum is a good idea).

I agree with Calee, I bet since you had to have extractions, you've got more pain while all that settles down. I'm so sorry!

It doesn't however, get any less glamorous :rolleyes:... trying to eat broccoli in public is a mess :eek:, salad/lettuce is tricky :eek:, cutting up your food like a toddler since you can't exactly BITE into anything... :rolleyes: Making sure you "irrigate" so unwanted bits aren't hanging around without your knowledge... :eek:

But so worth it in the end! (just got mine off 2 days ago) You'll be back to your regular workouts in no time! Just go easy with yourself - there's nothing quite like tooth pain, huh? I agree with ya, pretty good "diet strategy." LOL (I used to say, "I don't have to chew wine!"):cool:

Best of luck to you! HTH

I don't have braces, just wanted to offer some sympathy! My 8 year old daughter starts them next week and I am dreading it for her. Thankfully, she's taking it in stride pretty well. Good luck to you!

Just some ((((hugs)))) for you.

My oldest boy wore braces for 5 years. I know, a long time. He was miserable after adjustments. He has one stubborn tooth, and the tooth is still giving him trouble.

(((Hugs))) to you Lisa! I haven't had them either, but two of my kids have (and both have to go get them again probably next month). DS is having teeth extracted next week...poor kid! (Though the oral surgeon tells me that kids recover faster from it than adults do.)

Anyway, sorry to hear you're in pain. Hopefully it will get better soon, and I hope to see you again at this year's RT!!!!:)

I've had braces for about 13 months, and it's been an interesting process. The best advice I can offer is to have lots of wax, Wisp disposable toothbrushes and a good sense of humor.

I was very uncomfortable for several months. There is a lot of shifting happening, and it was difficult to eat many things (very awkward to figure out how to chew). Plus, the braces really rubbed against my mouth which I felt even when I moved my mouth to talk. It took me awhile to learn to use the wax "before" it got too sore.

I have a lot of business dinners, but I just became more careful in what I ordered. There is no way to eat sandwiches without cutting them into bite-sized pieces. I carry plastic silverware with me on business trips, just in case I need to cut something.

I agree with others who say that is more difficult for adults. My doctor said that as adults, our mouths are fully formed and therefore we really feel the shifting. My kids tease me that they didn't experience the pain, so what's the big deal? My son gets his braces off in 4 weeks, so I'm sure there is more teasing in store.

In summary, the pain goes away and you learn to deal with the other things. Good luck, Lisa; it will get better. And to BreckGirl, congratulations! It must be a great feeling to have the braces off. I have another 4-5 months, but it will be worth it.

Michelle

I had braces (first time) in my fifties. a challenge. no extractions. I lost 5 lbs at the beginning, a lot for me, although I could easily afford it. I wasn't doing Cathe then, but was a regular runner and didn't need to change anything except for waxing. I went thru an incredible amount of wax. I had wax stashed everywhere and found if I kept certain spots covered I could avoid a lot of discomfort. Pre-wax BEFORE the spot gets sore, mine were predictable. after brushing I'd wax at night and by nmorning the spots would be much better. Advil will be your friend. and yes, as Breckgirl said, you don't need to chew wine!

I could not floss. my teeth are 'deep" and even without braces I can't get my hands in there. I bought a vibrating device with pointy disposable tips and used it several times a day. I forget what it was called... maybe $12 plus tips for a couple $$. you can go along the gumline and clean between teeth without needing to thread floss for each tooth. If someone reading knows what I'm referring to please give a name for the device. You want to do all you can to prevent decay in hard to reach areas. I started using a Sonicare because it made brushing more effective.

I ate everything, just more slowly. popped off a bracket or two in 3+ years but nothing excessive. I kept a toothbrush/mirror in my purse, my car, backpack etc. Maybe things have changed, I was told specifically not to chew gum.

Adjustment day I'd make something soft pasta, mashed potatoes, beans, that sort of thing. Good luck, it's worth it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support!!! Trust me, the glamour thing....not a pretty site with food hanging off the braces thats for sure. I know in the end, it will be worth it! Now off to buy some gum.......Thanks.

Ahhhh, braces. I remember those. Had mine for close to 3 years. I was absolutely miserable when I got them; the very first day, not only did I get the braces put on, but then I got rubber bands AND headgear. Talk about pain. I could hardly eat for two weeks.

Every time I would go for an adjustment, my Mom would quickly take me to get something to eat afterwards. After about an hour, the pain set in. I feel for you. Hang in there.

I used Invisalign for 5 months and gave up but I deffinitely lost weight. I was way too lazy to have to brush my teeth after every single meal.

I was sort of told not to chew gum, either... but I found it to be really helpful in a variety of ways. Not only did it help give some of the pressure I would seek after getting them adjusted (you just sort of want to bite down HARD on stuff), but it helped after meals to clear everything out and make me feel a bit "fresher."

I think a lot of those orthodontic "rules" are specifically geared towards teens, who don't necessarily think about consequences as much as adults should/would. I was conscientious not to do anything to damage them, and if the gum got caught or hung up, I'd be careful to remove it. You know, that sort of thing.

I found that 2 Tylenol PLUS 2 Advil did really well. That was all I needed. You'll find (at least I did) that a few days will go by, and nothing hurts... then 3 teeth will hurt on this side for a few days... then nothing hurts... then 2 teeth on the upper other side will ache... SO WEIRD.

I have my retainers now (which are the clear invisalign lookin things) and they hurt, too! It's just a big ball of fun - but WORTH it in the end. I promise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.