I need a good cardio, non-step, non-kickboxing workout

midnight

Cathlete
Every so often I burn out on step and this is one of those times. I have been doing all the kickboxing videos but I'll burn out on them pretty soon as well. Are there any videos that will get and keep my heart rate up the way step does?

Thanks,
--Lois

Hi Lois,

I love BC. I just did that one on Monday and my heart rate was definitely up there.

Dallas
(formerly dmstefanos)

edited to say: What about running?

get outside into the Spring sunshine for a power walk, or run. It's just the ticket for inside exercise boredom.

Clare

This time of year running can be helpful to cross-train. You can do your own intervals with jog/walks and progress to run/jogs. I aim not to do the same cardio on consecutive days, and find this to be helpful in both the boredom department and staying injury free. Plus it keeps my muscles confused. good luck to you.

Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

Hey Lois! Mixing up the cardio is one of my trickiest fitness challenges, too. I do run, as well as kickboxing, step, and hi/lo. I'm not crazy about hi/lo, but I mix it up with those awesome boot camp intervals from the terminator dvd, and it really does get my heart rate up. I have taken a spin class, too, and would love to get a bike and spin workout for home! I'd love to see what others suggest.

Kerrie

oh, yeah, now that summer's here, swimming is one of the best cardio workouts around, IMO!

I like MIC although there is a 30 minute step portion on the end of the floor workout but you could skip it and go to a cool down. Also ditto the suggestion's to get outside and run, do sprints on a track, walk, roller blade, swim, etc. etc.

Summer where I live is short lived so I do as much outside exercise as I can before I have to move back indoors for the dreary winter.

Actually, I do usually run spring, summer and fall but I haven't done my first run yet because I was busy studying for the PT exam. It's always hard for me to get out there for the first run but once I do that, I'm all set. Also, I'm signed up for a 5K in June so I probably should do some training before then. :)

--Lois

Your first outdoor run could be a run to the drug store to purchase sunscreen...you'll need it for your 5k. :D

What about jump roping?

I too got burned out on step & tired of kickboxing. My jump rope was collecting dust so I took that out. I had ordered the Ropesport dvds (intermediate & advanced) to inspire & motivate me to try jump roping again. Wow, those dvds are great cardio workouts! I'm thinking of getting the Extreme Jumps dvd, also.

Here's their website--
http://www.ropesport.com/index.htm

Fay

p.s. Collagevideo.com also has a clip of their videos.

RE: What about jump roping?

Maximum Instensity Cardio the hi/lo section. 30 minutes of good old fashioned hard core non step/non kickbox cardio!!! I love it. Still do it about once a month! Kicks my A$$ too. }( }( Get it, do it, you won't be sorry, it's a beta endorphin kicker too.

Edith}( }(

>get outside into the Spring sunshine for a power walk, or
>run. It's just the ticket for inside exercise boredom.
>
>Clare

That was my first thought.

Marla

Only 20 posts, but what a wealth of information. Thanks, Fay, for the link. I also have a jump rope collecting dust & this site looks very intriguing.

Marla:D

I did finally get out for that first run this past weekend (it has been raining for days and days here). It felt great!! I also appreciate your suggestions and am definitely going to check them out.
Thanks again.
--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

I just checked out the jumprope site and it looks worth the $14.95 dvd. I have a jump rope I hardly ever use, bc how long can you jump rope without knowing lots of different stuff......I know its a fantastic calorie burner though! ":)

I agree with Fay! I use my Rope Sport DVDs for aerobics cross training---rope jumping is a great cardio workout! I have the Basic, Intermediate and Advanced DVD workouts. The Extreme Jumps DVD isn't a cardio workout---it's an instructional DVD, showing you how to do very cool jump rope tricks.

If you don't currently weight train, try it. For some reason, weight training seems to invigorate my cardio routines.

Also, I have an old "stand-by" cardio/step workout that I never seem to get bored with: Imax 2. This one is always such a challenge that I feel like I've made a real accomplishment when I do it. And the time just flies every time I do it, too! When I'm not in the mood for step, but know I need to do cardio, I put this in and it gets me every time.

Also, try your step workouts without the step. I know it sounds crazy, but it hits the muscles differently and can be just as effective as using a step. The heart rate still gets up there!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.