I just read....

lovebeingfit

The Hunger Games. I am now on part II of Catching Fire. Wow, I know these are considered kids books but I can't put them down!! Has anyone read the Underlander Chronicles by the same author? I am wondering if they are equally good? Also, I read a while back on this forum that the Outlander series is good. Can anyone tell me more about those. They have great reviews, but I am not sure about historical romances....

lovebeingfit said:
The Hunger Games. I am now on part II of Catching Fire. Wow, I know these are considered kids books but I can't put them down!! Has anyone read the Underlander Chronicles by the same author? I am wondering if they are equally good? Also, I read a while back on this forum that the Outlander series is good. Can anyone tell me more about those. They have great reviews, but I am not sure about historical romances....

My daughter just started reading The Hunger Games. I'm considering it for my next choice. I don't know anything about the other series you questioned but I am reading "The City of Ember" Series right now. I'm on the last book. (there are 4 books in the series) It was originally intended for kids too but I have to say, it is great! It is easy reading but I like that! :) I just thought I'd share. Let me know your thoughts on The Hunger Games. Oh, my daughter just finished reading The Help and said it was great. The movie is coming out within the next month.

My two boys (ages 12 and 15) both just raced through the Hunger Games trilogy. They LOVED it! They loved it so much that I can't wait to start on Saturday on my long flight!!!

I frequently read books intended for YA (young adults); I started a few years ago when I wanted to know what the kids (MY kids) are reading these days. I have found that there is some truly fantastic literature out there under the guise of YA lit.

Deb-I loved The Help, as well.

I just got a Kindle for my birthday and I have been looking for books to put on it. I think I will load the Hunger Games next. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is there such a thing as a book check in on this forum?

Shayne

Shayne,
There is no "official" book thread, but you will see the occasional thread started like this one. You can always start your own!

If you are looking for books to download onto your new kindle (I absolutely LOVE mine, BTW) there are lots of free ones available-mostly classics and older books. I downloaded every Jane Austin book for free!

Have you read The Help? or Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible? (possibly my favorite book of all time----so far!)

Have fun with your new toy! (and remember to surface for meals and sleep occasionally)

Laura

I loved the Hunger Games trilogy, and cannot wait for the film of the first one to come out. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, and a lot of really fine actors for the other roles. The Passage by Justin Cronin is the first of what will also be a trilogy about a post-apocalyptic world. It was thrilling.

Since none chimed in yet on the Outlander series...I will. I have read the first 2 nd am saving book 3 ( everyone says its the best) for my fall read. They are heavy (close to 1000 pages each) but don't let that turn you off. They are great!!! I am not a romance book fan at all and I absolutely loved these books. I even got a little emotional at the end of book 2 (not me at all)! I highly recommend that series.

By the way, I loved The first Hunger Games too...I guess I will break down and dl the next one too.

Oh and love the book threads!
Rachel:p

Shayne,
There is no "official" book thread, but you will see the occasional thread started like this one. You can always start your own!

If you are looking for books to download onto your new kindle (I absolutely LOVE mine, BTW) there are lots of free ones available-mostly classics and older books. I downloaded every Jane Austin book for free!

Have you read The Help? or Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible? (possibly my favorite book of all time----so far!)

Have fun with your new toy! (and remember to surface for meals and sleep occasionally)

Laura

Laura, I agree...just not enough hours in a day to do all the reading I'd love to do but trying my best! I just got my Kindle last month and love the fact that it has gotten me back into reading again.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I am def going to put them into my "Wish-List".

i just got Outlander today, someone i think somewhere on this board recommended it...and i have been told by my dr. to do nothing and stay as peaceful and calm as possible due to my broken arm/shoulder. i love this book and am already on pg 144. this has been great since i cannot do a darned thing!

So far book 1 of outlander is definitely worth the time!

Thanks for all of the recommendations! Now my wish list is much, much longer :p. I think I will have to try the first book in the Outlander series next. I recently got a Kindle as well, and love it! I didn't think I would like it because I really like real books, but I got it as a gift and it is great! For anyone interested in The Hunger Games, it is kind of a dark story, but wonderfully written and hard to put down once you start.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.