I just HAVE to ask what you all think about the woman....

Worknprogress

Cathlete
that already had 6 children under the age of 7 and just gave birth to 8 more?

Totally irresponsible, in my opinion, but who is the irresponsible party? The mother or the doctor that implanted the embryos?

And now she is "shopping" her story for a big payoff?

I was thinking the same thing. I can't believe a doctor would implant embryos into a single mother of 6. Isn't invitro fertilization expensive? & now who is going to pay to support all these children - no dad - no child support? Very irresponsible.

They're both totally irresponsible. I haven't heard everything, but I think the mother has some issues (obsession issues maybe?).

The doctor is completely and totally irresponsible and should lose his license.

I think it's wonderful that medical technology has evolved to the point where people who couldn't otherwise have children can now do so, BUT

*steps on soapbox*

I think these "doctors" who implant women a ridiculous number of fertilized eggs are unethical and immoral.

Women were not meant to have litters!! I'm sorry if this offends, but having 7 or 8 babies at once is a litter! There is just so much bad stuff that can happen to mother and children with these pregnancies. I'm so annoyed that the news just covers the birth event, and asks no questions about why this is allowed to happen.

*steps off soapbox*

To each her own I suppose. As long as the 20 or so kids she has have decent lives, I'm not gonna judge.

Probably both. I saw a show where they say it's unethical for the doctor to implant more than 4. I'm sure the doctor had to have known that she had 6 children already. The doctor had given her the choice to abort but she chose not to. I wonder why she felt the need to do IVF when she had no problem doing it the natural way. I think her husband is a contract worker in Iraq so now she has fourteen children to care for on her own. I think she lives with her mother but still. I hope she has a lot of help from family and friends.

Marcy

I think she has some mental issues. She is like a animal hoarder but she is hoarding children. It's sad. And it shows you the doctors will do anything for money.

Well...I don't really know this story, but I'm sure she didn't set out to have another 8 - and when she did, what could she do?

According to the news, she is not married. All of these children are from invitro - with the same sperm donor for all 14 children.

It is my understanding that it is this woman's father that is going to Iraq to do contract work and that her mother said she will not be in the house when her daughter brings these babies home. I guess she is not happy with this situation at all.

I am not judging, I just know how hard it is with four children and two of mine are older. It doesn't sound like she will have much of a support system so I can't help but wonder how in the world will she manage?

Someone please correct me here if I am wrong, but I have not heard a mention of a husband or significant other. If she had the money to go in vitro, then I hope she has the money to provide for those children without taxpayer intervention. Irresponsible, not as long as she has a home large enough, several washers and dryers, can hire a nanny or two, owns stock in huggies and has 500K to put all of her kids through college and plans on not sleeping for the first year or two!
booboo

She is not married. It is her father that is working in Iraq. She is single and living with her parents. They live in a 1500 sq. foot home and the parents had to declare bankruptcy. What annoys me is that she is already trying to "sell" her story and asking Oprah to take it for 2 million. She feels that she should get free stuff because of this.

If this happened by accident or to someone who had the means to raise these kids that would be one thing. But this lady considers herself a professional student and does seem to just want to have more kids like people with too many animals. I know I could be wrong and she might be the greatest person/mother in the world, but I think it morally was wrong of the doctors.

Just my thoughts. :)

Correct, she has no SO, lives with her mom and has NO way of supporting any of these children on her own. And she's said she wants more! She is definitely a hoarder! My sister has 7 kids and also wants more, but she has a STABLE home, a husband who works and is fully able to support her children. BIG DIFFERENCE. This woman needs help. Someone paid for that invitro though and I'm wondering who it was. It is not cheap.

I have no idea what kind of life this mother will provide for these children, so I can't really address that. From what I've heard, she actually is a good mother. Whether she can provide for all of these children remains to be seen, of course. But since it remains to be seen, I can't say they won't be provided for adequately. Frankly, if some news organization is willing to pay her a seven digit number for her story, I wouldn't blame her for taking it. I abhor tabloid journalism of all kinds (and consider her personal story tabloidish), so I certainly don't support the news for making her personal story the news. But I can't fault her for taking something so readily offered if it is readily offered.

That being said, I have a serious problem with her situation because, quite honestly, I don't think scientists worked hard on figuring out how to do the IVF procedure in order for somebody to have 14 children using it. It is an interesting ethical issue because I also don't think doctors are in the position of judging whether somebody should become a mother simply because the intent of the discovery isn't being met by the person making the request to use the procedure. So I don't necessarily fault her doctor(s) for going ahead with the IVF procedures (except for the part about implanting too many embryos which is against set standards).

Deep inside I really have some very fundamental issues with this situation. But, at the end of the day, if she can independently support these children (even if she uses money earned from her story) and raises them with love, I suppose I can't completely say 'It was wrong!!' But I also wouldn't hold this up as an ideal either.

And totally changing the subject, my STS just arrived!!! Yeah!!!!

I'm still waiting for the dr to step foward. Hmm...i'm guessing he won't for some reason! :rolleyes: No RE worth anything will implant EIGHT embies in anyone. Period. I've read one article where the mother made some kind of reference to being "paid" when asked how she afforded the IVF. Makes me wonder just what this doctor is up to. The woman doesn't have a job so she didn't cough up the $15K + for each of those IVF's, not to mention the storage fees for the frozen embies. Something fishy is going on w/ this "dr" IMO.

It really ticks me off that these are the kind of stories presented by the media wrt ART. Nobody does a story on the family who struggled w/ IF for eons and finally went ahead w/ IVF (or IUI, or any other procedure) and had one happy healthy baby. Nope, we hear the ones like this mom, or J&K+8. Seriously, I think there should be a big 'ole disclaimer before every episode of J&K+8 that her sextuplets were the result of their not taking the advice of their dr to scrap her IUI cycle when she developed too many follicles.

So let me just say on behalf of all the wonderfull people that have a child by less than traditional means, these people are NOT representative of the majority of families that use medical means to treat their IF and please do not let your opinon of said medical treatment be based off of these people!

Um...stepping off soap box now. :eek:

So let me just say on behalf of all the wonderfull people that have a child by less than traditional means, these people are NOT representative of the majority of families that use medical means to treat their IF and please do not let your opinon of said medical treatment be based off of these people!

Um...stepping off soap box now. :eek:

Thank you! My two are "IVF babies" after years and years of miscarriages and trials. My RE will only implant two no matter the woman's age or circumstances - but unfortunately, a lot of docs compete on the number of "successful" births, so that is why sometimes they implant more eggs than appropriate. But, I hate stories like these because they give us all (doctors, mothers, and fathers) a bad rap.

Someone please correct me here if I am wrong, but I have not heard a mention of a husband or significant other. If she had the money to go in vitro, then I hope she has the money to provide for those children without taxpayer intervention. Irresponsible, not as long as she has a home large enough, several washers and dryers, can hire a nanny or two, owns stock in huggies and has 500K to put all of her kids through college and plans on not sleeping for the first year or two!
booboo

Touche ~ It's all fine and good as long as SHE pays for it.

Personally - I think she did it to get big bucks. She is already asking for 2 mil for Oprah. I would hope no one is stupid enough to pay her but we are talking about the sensationalist media here. Someone will surely follow the footsteps once they know they can get money out of it. And the kids will suffer.

I just want to know how she is going to pay the hospital expenses. I heard it is estimated at $400,000 per child for the birth and 1 months stay. Hmmm...$400,000 x 8 = $3,200,000. I wonder if she'll cut a check when discharged or will the taxpayers pick up the tab.

Judi

Touche ~ It's all fine and good as long as SHE pays for it.

Personally - I think she did it to get big bucks. She is already asking for 2 mil for Oprah. I would hope no one is stupid enough to pay her but we are talking about the sensationalist media here. Someone will surely follow the footsteps once they know they can get money out of it. And the kids will suffer.

That and she's mentally unstable. Any Dr. that would allow her to do that also has a few screws loose.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.