I have an odd question

Calee

Cathlete
This is really random but my sister asked me this the other day and now it's at the front of my attention! She asked if since having kids, have my hips become wider and stayed that way? I THINK I'm back to my original size but since I don't have measurements I can't tell.
So now I want to hear from other moms who I know are in shape and don't just have extra fat sitting on their hips. Did your hips widen and stay out there since having babies?

Hard to tell. I was tall and lean, this is my genetic predisposition, and I still am, but like others here, I have a much thicker waist and a lot of that is added muscle. I now sport a long rectangular body without much indentation! Bring on the body shaping shirts and belts!

I don't think it really matters if you have widened a little. Most of us find that after a little while, we are so different as people after kids that we don't wear much of the same pre-kids wardrobe anyway.

Does it matter to you if you are a little wider?

Clare

my ribs actually are wider now! but I still returned to a hourglass shape. however, from the side, I am a bit thicker, even though I am leaner than prepregnancy.

Clare, I'm not sure if I mind it or not. I used to be pretty proportioned upper and lower body, but now it takes more work to keep it that way. Really it could be that I'm getting older and lazier ;)
I just didn't know if it was a common thing that happened to most women.

My hips are actually the only measurement on me that didn't change with pregnancy. They stayed pretty constant before, during and after. Now my waist, I am still trying to find that!

I would say I'm a bit wider. I never had must of a waist anyway, and never will now! And I do think my hips are a tad bit wider, but it's not fat. Being almost 40 and no longer in my 20's probably doesn't help!

Jen

My hips are the same as before pregnancy but my waist has never fully come back (was 27" before, and now it's 31" on a good day). I'm still working on it though! I'll be 50 next year and want to be in the best shape of my life.

Stebby

I always had larger hips so the babies didn't change that. Like a previous poster, my ribs widened (I had twins in my first pregnancy which was the culprit).

My waist went back to it's regular size.

My feet also permanently widened and my breasts ended up smaller. Go figure.

ha! Isn't that strange? I thought I was the only one who felt her ribs got wider!!

I definitely feel my hips have widened a bit. I am slim-hipped and delivered both my babies vaginally.

I actually like that I now have some hips.

I only had one baby and my ribs got wider. I don't think my hips did, but they were wide enough already. :rolleyes:

Not only are my ribs wider, but they stick out more on one side than the other! I used to tease DS about "distorting" my ribs but he took it kind of personal and I had to stop. He's a bit sensitive about that sort of thing.

OMG. this is too funny.

I don't come here much anymore and don't know why I did today, but this post is exactly what I was talking about to a few friends the other day.

Both my boys were big and transverse lie (sideways) and I needed a c-section After my second was born my bra size changed. NOT my cup size but my chest size. My mom thought I was nuts, I asked the doc and sure enough my ribs had to expand to accomodate the baby.

Try finding a 36 AA!!!!

And we won't even talk about my feet.

Thanks for making me feel normal again!!
ellie

My sister says her hips widened a lot with pregnancy and have stayed that way. She always says that was the most surprising thing that happened to her while pregnant.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.