I can't wait, but DH doesn't get it...

murfmom

Cathlete
So, you would think after 15 years together he would stop questioning my "need" for more Cathe dvds. I was talking about these this morning, and he looks at me and asks "Again?" I'm glad you guys understand! Do you have anyone in real life who really understands your vidiocy?

Whaaaaaat??!!!! LOL! My friends just laugh at me every time I'm on a high about a new series from Cathe - then they laugh harder when I tell them I pay for the DVD's months in advance before they're even made.....There's only one co-worker who's as crazy as me and gets up at 4am to workout - now she totally gets it! It's nice to have at least one person you can go to and discuss you're love of Tabata drills and Hiit...

another lucky lady married 24 years and he is very supportive of any of my fitness purchase and doesn't mind listening to me go on and on about how much I lifted or how I finally nailed a whole cathe workout without a break LOL We were at a company party back in the summer and several people came up to me in conversation I heard you can do so and so push ups and pull ups. It seems my dh brags about my fitness accomplishments. Who can ask for more? :D

Lol no one understands my love of DVDs or exercise and really my love for Cathe! I mean okay they ask how I stay in shape I say my DVDs I get a surprised look then I say Cathe they really look at me strange. I can't even explain it to anyone at work, I try to when I see new series come out but nope no connections. I have family come visit and they are in shock when they see my family room/gym room I have my DVDs on a shelf two and a half shelfs is nothing but Cathe (I now have ALL) DVDs ! The rest is other instructors . But they will make comments about how much I must spend on them but well, ya know this is my hobby and what I like to spend my money on. I don't buy high heels or hand bags like most women. I don't buy lots of make up. I mean geez this is what I enjoy so I used to think I had to hide it like it was something bad. But honestly, why? I am proud of it. It's all in the matter of what's important to me. I used to spend my money on cigs! Thank God I buy Cathe DVD! My lungs are happy and so am I! I do still wish I had some friends close by that was more active! :)

I get it!!! So true! People will sometimes scoff and grumble when I talk fitness. There is no one at work (that I know of) that gets up early specifically to work out. They look at me as if I'm diseased! That's probably why I love the forums.....like minded people. My hubby converted our partially finished basement into my workout zen. Mirrors on the walls and all! All of my toys in their place....I love it.

If someone gets snarky about my "obsession" as they call it, or my size or buying new workouts......I say something like.....I'm wearing the same size I was 20 years ago.....then smile and stare at them waiting for a response;)

This is such a cute thread. DH doesn't understand my workout DVD collection except for my Cathe DVDs. He has been working out with Cathe since KP&C. We used to be able to workout together. I have fond memories of doing ME and MM together and passing various weights back and forth.

He started asking me about this presale last January after trying all the workouts in the last series. I told him he'll need to wait about a year and not to worry, I'll take care of the preorder. When I get the workouts, he tries them, picks his favorites, and puts them where he wants them. I'm not allowed to move them because he has trouble finding them. When we got the gliding disks, he tried them and declared they were his. I ordered another set for me. It is pretty funny.

As far as other instructors, he insists I get rid of old DVDs to make room for new ones. No exception. He has a handful of other workouts that he likes but doesn't want any more new ones (except for Cathe's). I'm grateful we have this in common. It makes working out (and preordering) easier.

Soapmaker: I loved the description of your husband, sounds like a fun man to be around, declaring various parts of your fitness equipment to be HIS!!!!! I would be happy for my husband to do likewise, alas!

My husband doesn't really "get" my fitness need, but then he doesn't not get it either. He knows that I work out predominantly to keep depression and anxiety at bay, and that my workouts keep me grounded and a much nice person to live with, so I think he makes his peace with the charges on the credit card!

I don't need him to get my needs and desires for fitness products. occasionally, he will look at the many DVDs littering my workout area and wonder aloud whether I "really need quite so many, wouldn't 1 or 2 do the trick?" I simply ignore this and carry on.

I have never believed that the two people involved in a partnership need to see eye to eye on everything and live in each other's pockets. I have my thing, he has other aspects of his personality that I don't "get." Okay then, live and let live. He doesn't question any Cathe preorder charges seen on the credit card: he knows Cathe reigns supreme in my fitness world and is a permanent fixture.

Friends accept my fitness habit as a part of who I am. I don't have to explain myself, I wouldn't ever see the need to do so either. I am who I am.

Clare

I always get a kick out of people who don't understand home-ex devotees' spending habits on DVDs but don't bat an eye on shelling out hundreds of dollars a month on smartphone data plans, restaurant meals and bar tabs, sports game tickets (and stadium food and booze and parking and memorabilia), OR medications to combat the collateral damage that sedentary living causes.

You paddle your canoe and I'll paddle mine. Faster, stronger and longer.

A-Jock

I always get a kick out of people who don't understand home-ex devotees' spending habits on DVDs but don't bat an eye on shelling out hundreds of dollars a month on smartphone data plans, restaurant meals and bar tabs, sports game tickets (and stadium food and booze and parking and memorabilia), OR medications to combat the collateral damage that sedentary living causes.

You paddle your canoe and I'll paddle mine. Faster, stronger and longer.

A-Jock

WELL SAID!!!!!

This is so funny! I had to email this link to a few close friends and family members who know of my Cathe obsession and just shake their heads at me. When I told one of my friends that I had preordered the new series, she joked "Wow, Cathe is so lucky that you are funding her retirement." And I said "Well, hey, I feel like she is extending my life, so it's a fair trade!"

A Jock that is my sentiments exactly! That's what I was thinking. I mean if I spend my money on DVDs so what? I don't roll my eyes at there spending on all of the above you said and add to that 50 dollars for a carton of cigs. I'd say I am happy with what I am doing and I hope someday one of them may get on bored with me!

DH does support fitness - he's a runner, and we have travelled for several out-of-town runs, and he buys shoes, etc. pretty regularly, so he can't complain about the expense. He actually did STS meso 3 with me recently. He just doesn't get why I need so many Cathe dvds. I already have cardio and strength, what more could I need?? He knows it makes me happy.

Well said A Jock! My hubby and kids still have the old flip phones. No prescriptions, no bar tabs, we eat out maybe once a year, and I'd challenge anyone (besides you guys) to do a Cathe workout with me. I used to get asked all the time to go run with my friend, or go to yoga, and even to do a kickboxing class. I'm like -- I can run because I do Cathe, I have many versions of yoga on several DVDs that I can do over and over and over again and not have to pay every time I do!. And Kickboxing - gee, I have several of those, too. And after the initial purchase, I can do that one as many times as I want for free, too. Hubby loves Cathe and how authentic she is. He doesn't care how many I buy because they get used almost every day.

Maddiesmum: I could have written your post. I'm not prone to depression but stress and anxiety are another story. My workouts keep me centered. I often have the same discussion with DH about my need for so many DVDs that you have with yours. Mine insists that 10 is the optimal number of workouts to have and nobody needs more variety than that. This is coming from a guy who has more than 10 favorite Cathe workouts. He has all of STS in his stash. In the same conversation, he asks me when the new Cathes are coming. He doesn't even notice that he is contradicting himself. Ultimately what I buy is my decision. He gets to share.

When the cardio step was delivered, he made it home before me. I had plans to hide it in the basement until I can swap one of the regular steps. We already have 2 of the grey steps, 2 high steps, a Reebok step, a step 360 plus various Firm contraptions including the old wooden boxes. I was sure we were going to fight over the addition of one more step. When I got home, he told me that I got a big box. He then quietly asked me what did Cathe do to improve the design of the step to convince me to buy one more that looks like 2 we already have. I explained to him about the shock absorption and told him to use the new step for all workouts that require jumping on and off of the step. He opened the box with me, tried the new step, found a permanent home for it, and took one of the old steps to Goodwill. I didn't have to do anything except use my new step.

Aquajock definitely nailed it. A workout DVD habit is probably the cheapest habit anybody can have. It pays for itself many times over. Mine costs less than 1 month's worth of blood pressure meds even after factoring in the cost of a subscription to Kineticflix and all other DVDs and gadgets I buy.

Confession.... I don't tell the hubby either. But I think he's figured it out since I don't hide them either. (Well- downloads are easier to hide) But last Christmas he decided I needed a new TV in my workout room and bought me a large-screen AND mounted it on a swivel bracket on the wall! I take that as approval. I figure if I shell out thousands (yes, thousands) of dollars for my kids to play soccer, basketball, baseball, etc I can spend some on my fitness too!

Cafelattee,

My hubby sounds like yours. I chatter regularly with him about my workouts and what goals I've hit recently.

He will call me over when talking with neighbors and friends, "Hey, tell them how much you can lift!" He is proud, and that feels good. :)

All,
He used to roll his eyes over purchases (and yes, he has his own habits upon which I return the favor!) However, he has recognized and verbalized how much easier I am to live with when I work out regularly.

I do not hide what I purchase from the hubster. But, then again, I pay the bills.

I have several sewing friends, and quite a few of them hide new purchases in their cars until they can sneak fabric into their sewing room or storage area. I wonder where some of us hide our Cathe DVDs???

Kira

My hubby gets it too. He gets a kick out of it. When I told him I need to order the bands because they're being discontinued he ask did you get the extra slide disc? He also knows I always need to pre- order my DVDS :)

Living healthy

At work tonight I encouraged my co-worker who is trying to quit cigs. She told me they were now $8.10 a pack. I quit over 7 years ago and that is when I started buying Cathe DVD's. Pretty good deal when you can buy a DVD that will prolong a healthy life for almost the same price as a pack of cigs that will put you in an early grave. My husband doesn't always understand why I buy every series but he knows this is how I keep my stress under control.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.