I am in desperate need of help/advice

There is so much to be said on this, but one of the most important things you must work at is your diet along with your workouts. You can workout all day, but if your diet is lousy and full of fat and sugar, you'll not see the results and get frustrated. Concentrate on eating clean, and that is NOT easy with a family, I know! But those little bites here and there from the kids' plates, can really add up. When I had my first child, I went from 130 pounds to 245 pounds, it was a disaster that I thought I would never recover from. I went at it full boar, and ended up losing it all within the year (I was 31.) I did it by writing down everything that passed my lips, got myself one of those comprehensive calorie books and learned as much as I could about nutrition. That is half the battle! Then I began working out first aerobically 10 minutes a few times a day, up to finally 2 hours a day. I added different activities such as biking, running, and lifting weights. I WISH I had Cathe back then!

Realize you will go off course every now and then, or need a couple of days to relax. Just don't lose site of your ultimate goal (which should be written down and constantly in sight.

My first dvd from Cathe was Pyramid Upper & Lower. I added on Slow & Heavy and went from there. If your goal is to lose weight, you should lean more towards aerobics for a while, be it step, boot camp, kickboxing, walking, running, biking, etc. But you do need to lift weights, I just think its very important to add this in to the mix shortly thereafter. Not to mention what it does for your self-esteem when you can open up your own pickle jars. Adding into this is getting adequate sleep. Your body needs to repair itself and sleep really can help the body shed fat. Drink plenty of water also.

Keep coming back here and read as much as you can. There is so much inspiration here, and when you have some dvd's and can relate, all the better. Good luck!

Momma Maria and all of you...

Hi there mommamaria I have so much faith in your ability to complete and acheive the goals you set out for yourself. In terms of support, it is extremely top notch here! I am very moved by the awesome outreach, support and thoughtful insight all of you have shared in this post...its very moving. I use to lurk on the old boards and look forward to being a more more active member because of the great vibe here. Until next time,
Justine;)

Welcome. I"m also about 5'7" After my 3rd baby I was looking at losing 25lbs. I DID lose it, and kept it off working out from home.

I did Cathe + Turbo Jams and ate super clean (no simple carbs & unhealthy fats). You CAN do it, but it will take hard work and dedication.

This forum is awesome b/c there's endless support.

Welcome & good luck!

MommyMaria...

Boy, I've been there, minus the kids...I was in a not so great marriage and I ate to comfort myself and wow...it wasn't pretty...One day, I woke up and decided to do something...107 pounds later...I was pretty happy...making do with the challenges I faced in my marriage...lived through some other life challenges..Kept the weight off for a long time...then down the tubes went the rest of my marriage and I gained a few extra pounds back...then started life anew and blaahm...there's a few more pounds...Eventually met my new husband...and he can eat...OMG...he's the type that can eat 10000 calories a day and still not gain a pound...drives me made...anyway, I gained a few more pounds....up 50...at least not 100...right.

so, I pulled out my old videos and got busy. Met some fitness friends on line and I've been working out with Cathe for almost 2 years now. I've only lost about 10-15 pounds...but...I went from busting out of 18's to some of my 14's fitting.

I have horses and work with ex racers to go out in the real world as riding ponies...I've never had such great balance. Now, if only I could get the scale to move on down...

Anything is possible, if you work hard enough...

Here's to you and here's a hug for inspiration...

Mommymaria you've come to the right spot You will find great support here.

IMO:
Start out small(so you won't become overwhelmed)
Take it one day at a time.
Most importantly*****Make time for YOU****

I had my three kids(DD23,DS19,DD18) all at a young age(19). I thought I'd never be fit again must less see the outside world :) :) I'm now in better shape now than I was before having kids-- go figure :)

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are places to check-in daily if you want with a group. Sometimes that helps, they ALL are so supportive.

Good luck :)

Yes you can do it!

I was at a similar place about a year and a half ago. I was 50, had gained 30 pounds, had kept that on for four years, and was not working out the way I used to. I would not go clothes shopping because literally, it would make me cry. I felt awful. Then - fast forward - I found Cathe - as well as other workouts - and "clean eating." Like so many others here I would recommend you start with the beginner workouts, like the Basic Step DVD. Also try doing long, moderate to fast walks. Start with whatever you can do. If you can only do 5 minutes, do 5 minutes. Then the next day, do 6 minutes. Honestly, you can do it as long as you stick to it. I would also recommend getting Tosca Reno's book on clean eating. There are a lot of nice folks on here who can advise too - when you feel like you need advice or inspiration - write in to the forum. It has been a huge help to me. Oh yeah I lost the 30 pounds and am doing great workout-wise now.

Welcome Maria!

You will love it here. There are so many knowledgeable people to offer advice and support. I can remember when my kids were babies trying to get a workout in during nap times. I'd sometimes have to cut it short, but I never skipped it. Be persistent--you will see results. And let us all know how you're doing. You've got a new group of cheerleaders!

lynda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.