how to get my hair to grow

runfree

Cathlete
I cant seem to get my hair to grow longer than shoulder length. I get trims every 6 weeks, condition it and it wont grow any longer. has anyone else experienced this and how did you get your hair to grow eventually?

Actually trimming it helps. Are you taking any vitamins? I'm on prenatals now and my hair is growing like crazy! I know there are hair and nail vitamins at the store. Not sure how effective they are, but that's my best off the cuff suggestion without putting too much research into it. ;))

I cant seem to get my hair to grow longer than shoulder length. I get trims every 6 weeks, condition it and it wont grow any longer. has anyone else experienced this and how did you get your hair to grow eventually?[/QU

I agree with Liann. I trim my hair every couple of weeks and it is at my waist.

try taking an omega 3 supplement (3 grams a day) and hair, skin and nails supplements from GNC. you can try taking biotin first and see if that works if you don't want invest the money for the other supplements. my doctor recommended these and it worked well for me. good luck.

Last edited:
I cant seem to get my hair to grow longer than shoulder length. I get trims every 6 weeks, condition it and it wont grow any longer. has anyone else experienced this and how did you get your hair to grow eventually?

I agree with Mishel. Stop cutting it so frequently. Hair only grows about 1/2 inch per month. When you get it trimmed, it's really hard to cut much less than that. Your hair doesn't need to be trimmed so frequently to keep it healthy . . . every 12 -16 weeks should be enough to keep it healthy looking. You should be enjoying a longer look within 6 months. Good Luck

I have to echo Liann, prenatal viatmins will make your hair and nails grow like WEEDS!
I'm on them again now, and I'm adding about an inch/month to my hair. It's insane!

with coloring and curling my hair, it seems to need a trim every 7 weeks or so. I take vitamins which include fish oil. my hairdresser said something about biotin. I will try that and see if that helps. thanks

with coloring and curling my hair, it seems to need a trim every 7 weeks or so. I take vitamins which include fish oil. my hairdresser said something about biotin. I will try that and see if that helps. thanks

As long as your hair dresser is just snipping the dead ends and not taking off a lot, frequent (as in 7 weeks or so) trims are not going to be a problem. I get my hair trimmed no farther apart than every 8 weeks and they only take off the very tips.

I'm in the same boat as you! I've taken all the vitamins and condition my hair and rarely style with heat, all in the hopes of leaving my hair in good condition so it grows, but... alas, it still grows SLOOOOOOOOWLY and seems to stop just at my shoulders. I can't really offer any solutions, unfortunately, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

I don't get trims that often, though--mostly because my hair grows at such a slow pace that if I did, I'd be undoing what little growth I do manage to get (and because I don't really want to spend $90 at my stylist just so she can do the "dusting" and remove 1/8 of an inch LOL). I get my hair cut every 3-4 months, and even then, I feel as though I'm cutting off the majority of the growth I have. I can't really go any longer between cuts, though, because my hair loses its shape, so I have to get the layers trimmed, etc.

I so envy the people whose hair grows rapidly. My friend has to get her hair cut every 6 weeks because it grows 2-3 inches in that time--unbelievable! 2-3 inches of growth would take me almost a year to get.

P.S. I did start taking Omega-3 (fish oil) supplements--for another reason, but I was curious to see it mentioned in this thread, so I hope it does have some positive effect on hair growth.

As long as your hair dresser is just snipping the dead ends and not taking off a lot, frequent (as in 7 weeks or so) trims are not going to be a problem. I get my hair trimmed no farther apart than every 8 weeks and they only take off the very tips.

Liann...can I come to your hairdresser? My fabulous hairdresser of 4 years was killed in this unbelievable accident and now (after grieving he's gone) I've been lookin' for love (in ALL the wrong places). I sat down with one guy named Cesare (pronounced Say Czar)...thought we were on the same page, talked for 30 minutes about how I wanted to grow it longer ("yes, yes" on his part)...and then the first thing he did was SNIP...gone an inch. UGH!

In reply to the orginal post...I totally empathize. I cannot go more than 8 weeks without a cut but want to grow it longer. :(

Liann...can I come to your hairdresser? My fabulous hairdresser of 4 years was killed in this unbelievable accident and now (after grieving he's gone) I've been lookin' for love (in ALL the wrong places). I sat down with one guy named Cesare (pronounced Say Czar)...thought we were on the same page, talked for 30 minutes about how I wanted to grow it longer ("yes, yes" on his part)...and then the first thing he did was SNIP...gone an inch. UGH!

In reply to the orginal post...I totally empathize. I cannot go more than 8 weeks without a cut but want to grow it longer. :(

Jonezie - I've had that unfortunate experience several times too. The lady I go to now has really long hair so she's not the type who wants to chop your hair and is very good at just snipping dead ends and cleaning up my layers and side bangs. And she's not expensive. For a trim like this, I refuse to pay a lot. Now, when I had my beveled bob look going on with all the highlights, I was much more picky and went to a different salon because that could get really screwed up. This cut is hard to mess up and I color it myself now for like $7 a month. ;)

Try not to color and curl so often. Take care of your hair and just get it cut every 12 weeks. Vitamins are important, but make sure to eat enough protein, calcium, and healthy fat.

There isn't scientific evidence that scalp massage will grow your hair faster, but it feels good, and if you are very gentle, then go for it! Over massaging it could rough the cuticle and cause breakage.

cutting your hair will help prevent split ends, it does not help it grow. Keep your hair moisturized, especially the ends and keep heat and chemicals to a minimum.

I wonder how much is just genetics? I have a couple friends who are twins and when I met them in college they had hair down to their knees (they were only 5' tall but that's still pretty long hair). I tried everything and took care of my hair and never got it longer than a few inches below my shoulders. Now I don't take that good care (I get my hair cut every 6 months at the most) and it still gets about that same length and stalls out.

Oh, and I do at least wash and condition and comb my hair (didn't want to sound like a total slob with the not-cutting often thing). :)

Lainie - I am with you. I probably get my hair cut every 9-12 MONTHS. I get a good 6 inches or so cut off when I go but then just let it get long again in between. Of course, I do nothing to my hair (except color) so it is healthy and doesn't need to be cut often.

Carrie

Have you tried horsetail? Its an over the counter herb, doesn't seem to have any nasty side effects, and helps with hair. I get the nature's way brand standardized, I take just one a day. I have thin hair from my endochrin disorder.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.