Hey pet owners -do you have insurance?

janie1234

Cathlete
Still on the hunt for a dog for the family. I keep getting turned down because of not having a fenced yard but, . . .I don't know having a fenced yard doesn't make someone a good dog owner does it? :( My sister has a corgie that she has never taken on a walk and she's had her for over 4 years. Any how, during all my research I was looking into doggie insurance. Is this worth it? The average plan was $40 a month. I really want to be a good doggie owner and want to be prepared. Thanks.

Janie - I'm interested in hearing if anyone has it. I haven't looked into it too seriously, but with 3 wiener dogs getting up there in years, I might have to. Just in the past 2 months, I've spent almost $600 on these dogs! Dakota had an emergency vet visit and stitches and then Montana and Cheyenne had a vet visit for some skin issues and the bills just rang up. I basically haven't been eating. ;) I don't think it's something you have to worry about right off the bat. With only one dog, it's much more manageable.

As far as the fence thing, NO ONE in my area has fences and we all have dogs (I think it's a prerequisite for where I live). My dogs are never off their leashes anyways. I wish I had a fence so they could run around on their own, but that's a luxery that may never happen. It doesn't make you a bad owner. As long as you are providing the exercise needed for whatever breed you bring home, you should be fine. For my dogs, that includes walking them to the mailbox and back. Anything more than that and I'm carrying wieners back to the house!

Pet insurance

I had it for a year. It was worth it; covered the price of 1 emergency vet visit due to some stomach upset/vomiting for my puppy. I think mine cost around $30/month. But I dropped it since the good policies that cover most expensive things are around $40-50/month and I thought that was too high for me. Figure unless he has a chronic problem it isn't worth it (yet).

I live in an apt, and have a balcony (not a patio) so obviously no fenced yard. It does mean a lot of rescues won't adopt to you, but it doesn't make you a bad owner. I mean, what's better for a dog... Being shoved outside to get his exercise by himself or being taken on lots of walks by his owner? Gavin (35lb Sheltie) and I go hiking and running, he goes to the dog park, lots of good things :) When he was a puppy, he got hours of walks a day to get out the puppy energy and to help him bond to me.

Cindy

we have our 2nd great dane and have not had insurance for either. i figure by the time ive paid the premiums i'd probably be paying more than i would be if i just paid for whatever it would cover. hth!

When checking out pet insurance read the policies thoroughly. Most congenital problems are excluded. A friend of mine has the program through PetsMart's Vet services. They have used it, but a large portion of their last bill was a non covered item and it wasn't for a congenital condition. If you decide against the insurance, you could always make a little doggy savings account and put the $40.00 away each month as if you were paying a premium to the insurance company. Then you have a little protection if something happens.

First:

I have never had a fenced yard, but I take my two dogs out for leashed bathroom breaks 6 times a day, and make sure they get a minimum of an hour of outdoor activity (walking, playing, whatever) every day. We also play indoors, and they have plenty of mental and physical stimulation. They're happy and healthy. So no, I really don't think fenced yards make people good pet owners. I think the resucues assume people will be lazy, and at least a fenced yard will probably prevent the dog from running unleashed into the street.

I had pet insurance, but ended up finding it difficult to get reimbursed for things. I ultimately decided that setting aside $40/month for pet care was a better idea (and so far, it has worked out much better, even with emergencies and unexpected costs).

It sounds like you are a great dog person waiting to happen. I hope you get matched up with a wonderful dog, and soon!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I probably will get the doggie ins. I know taking a pet to the vet can get expensive. I had a pet canary once, had to take her to the vet and the visit cost me $300 for a 5 minute visit. I work in insurance billing (dental/medical) so I'll be sure to call the vets in my town to see what type of insurance they reccommend. Of course I'll have to actually get a dog first before I get the insurance. Gosh no one will allow me to adopt, . .I'm starting to have a complex and take it personal. Our family was absolutely firm on adopting or rescuing a dog. It seems like there are so many dogs out there that need loving homes and then of course you read all the horror stories, like "This dog had one mangled leg and was roaming free on the freeway." or "This dog's collar was left on so long it inbedded itself into its neck and had to be surgically removed." German shepards, and huskies with bad hips, and deaf dalmations from over breeding. It makes me so sad to hear and see all these dogs that need a loving home.

Last edited:
This is the problem with adoption! All the agencies want to whine that there are so many animals that need homes and yet, they make it so difficult for people who REALLY want a pet in their lives to get one! That's why people buy purebreds from breeders or just go to the shelters. It's almost as bad as trying to adopt a child!

I really wish they would lighten up their requirements! I know several people who have fenced yards and all that means is that they throw their dogs outside and forget about them all day and/or all night! How does that make someone with a fenced yard a better dog owner than someone whose yard isn't fenced, but takes their dog(s) for walks everyday and plays with him/her/them, etc.? It's beyond my comprehension.

Don't give up though! Somewhere out there is a dog for you!

I know several people who have fenced yards and all that means is that they throw their dogs outside and forget about them all day and/or all night! How does that make someone with a fenced yard a better dog owner than someone whose yard isn't fenced, but takes their dog(s) for walks everyday and plays with him/her/them, etc.? It's beyond my comprehension.

Don't give up though! Somewhere out there is a dog for you!

Ugh I know. My sister literally has never taken her dog for a walk, . . and when I read all the ad's they talk about how "this poor dog was left alone in the back yard unloved and unsocialized, . . " It makes me so mad because she bought a pure bred pomerainian because it was cute couldn't take care of it and dumped her on my parents then went out and bought another pure bred corgie because it was cute and the poor thing just stays in the back yard all day long, . .she even forgets to feed her. Ugh, . .it just upsets me so much. I mean I know that they are trying to be careful and that they don't know me but maybe they could do a live interview and check out my living conditions or something. I just would hate to end up buying a pure bred when there are so many animals that need help . .but thanks everyone I'll keep looking. Thanks for the votes of confidence.

Janie - I know that as far as having a medical plan that seems to save pet owners some money. For example: Banfield hospital has a few different plans. I know a couple who own two dogs and they pay $25 per month for the medical plan. They can take their dogs in whenever they want and get vaccines and such.

But they don't have an insurance plan for their dogs.

Many people just in my neighborhood do not have fenced in yards and they own pets. I would think that it is more important to have your pet on a leash than to have a fenced yard. So many dogs get run over because they are unleashed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.