Hey, ectomrphs!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-02 AT 02:37PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-02 AT 10:35 AM (Est)[/font]

Hey, Angela! I just ordered that book. Looks good.

I am a definite ecto, but I also have endomorph tendencies. I put on wt. easily, but have a hard time building muscle. IT AIN'T PERTY!!!! And it hacks me off. Maybe I should start a "rant" thread?

Soooooo, I have to do cardio to get rid of the yucky stuff, but it seems to hamper my muscle gains. I've tried the hard cardio 5-6Xwk while lifing wts. thing(lost wt., but remained flabby), and I've tried the little to no cardio while lifting wts. thing (Gained muscle, but still remained flabby). One thing I'll take from this thread and TRYYYYY, is to decrease cardio to 3-4 days/week while continuing to lift wts.

I know someone from the VF forum who's an ecto also. She says that really heavy lifting keeps her "mushy" and the theory is that it makes her eat more calories. I experienced this with the S&H rotation. There's another poster on VF who's an ecto, who alternates lifing heavy wts. with endurance/light wt/high reps every week and has had really good muscle gains without the mush. I'm thinking about trying this with the cardio 3-4Xwk.

Robin http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/flower.gif

Okay, so how would you modify "Cathe's own Ten-Week CTX/PS Rotation" Or "Cathe's Sixteen Week Maximum Weight Loss Rotation"? Or would you have to modify them? Sorry if I seem dense, it has been a long hot tiring day....isn't summer almost over, yet? South Carolina heat is a killer! Do any of you living in the south take it easier with the summer heat?

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

I have read all of these messages with interest.

Seems like I am going to have to buy the S&H series in order to see significant strength gains and boost the metabolism.

What worries me about his though is that I feel I need either cardio and/or a full body weight training session in order to feel that I have truly worked out. Do you feel really worked out if you just do one of the S&H tapes per day, three times per week so you hit each body part once? Would this be better as hitting each body part twice per week or does that totally wipe you out?

I know how you feel about the weather> I am in Michigan but this Summer has been hot, hot, hot and it seems interminable. It is really interfering with my ability to work out because I don't have a/c and it's so humid.

I figure, I do what I can for now to keep it all ticking over and then, get back to a new program for the Fall....

Thanks for all these threads ladies

Clare

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-02 AT 12:32PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Clare-

I used to feel that I had to do both weights and cardio too. However that type of training wasn't getting me the results I wanted. By doing either cardio or weight training each day I really noticed a difference in fat loss and muscle gain within 2-3 weeks. Also, I know a lot of people think that CTX cannot put on muscle mass because of the rep speed, but I have not found that to be the case for me. Since I've been using the weight sessions from CTX, I have been increasing my weights every week. Not by a lot of weight of course, but I am definitely getting stronger. For me - I've learned that the high rep endurance workouts really lean me out and bring up my muscles. I also add one strength workout per week like the PS series so I can focus on gaining strength. That's what worked for me. Doing cardio 5-6 days a week plus weights does not work for me. I know it's hard to believe that working out less can bring far better results. I'm glad I have given this different theory on working out a try. I will never do cardio 5-6 days again. And like prfitness said earlier, I now enjoy my cardio workouts even more that I only get to do them 3 days week. HTH :)

More questions!!

Is it possible for ecto's to get a six pack? (Please say, yes.)

I need calf work suggestions I'm going to start doing PS calf work 2X per week. But this area really needs beefing up. Has Cathe ever suggested an RX for wimpy calves?

Is there any well-known ecto's that you admire? All I can think of is Pam Cauthen and Carissa Foster from the FIRM.

Thanks "ecto-sisters"!

RE: More questions!!

I think that Susan Harris is an ecto. She's said that she has to work very hard for arm muscles/definition. Maybe Jayne Poteet, not sure. I don't think that Pam Cauthen is an ecto. Did you see her in either Vol 5 or Vol 6? IMO, she's just a shadow of her former self in Firm Strength. She must have really worked hard to get that tiny.

What about Kari Anderson?

Robin http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/flower.gif

Sarah Jessica Parker.

I have trouble with my calves, also....what I wouldn't give for an actual calf muscle. Or two.

Holy cow! I've done both of those a hundred times and never even saw her! I'll have to check it out. Shadow may be right.
Julie

Calves

Hi,

I have gotten bigger calves by doing step. If I don't step for a week, my calves will get very sore after a long step workout. Do you do a lot of step?

Sandi M

Thank goodness. We have so many Ectos. I have to say this was the first thread I read on Ecto!! I think I am one too. I am 5'3" and 98-100 lbs. I only do two intense cardios, 60 minutes long and three weight training a week. I saw biggest changes in my body with the S&H series. Most of my fat deposits are my waist and on lower back. I usually up my weight training when I see this area start showing. I never do diet. I am too lazy to count calories. I just use moderation on everything. One thing I can say I am not big on suger and snacks. I only eat when I am hungry.

Now that we know we have so many folks with "special needs," maybe we should start an Ecto forum! We are definitely in the minority these days - just count the overweight folks that walk by the next time you're in your local mall or restaurant - and we definitely need a different fitness approach.

Someone asked about feeling like you've worked out without cardio. I've found I get a completely different, but very satisfying feeling with my very heavy, strength only approach. I work out five days a week and alternate upper and lower body. I really push myself hard doing three sets of each exercise with heavier weights each set. After the workout, I feel a pleasant, heavy, "pumped up" feeling, and the next day I usually have a mild soreness that tells me I'm getting results.

My only problem at this point is that I see results, but no one else seems to notice. I think body improvements are more noticeable when weight loss is involved. Has anyone else had this problem?

Angela

Is it possible for ecto's to get a six pack? (Please say, yes.
I do not have real good definition but it is noticeable and I don't do abs everyday. May be 3 times a week. I know I will have better results if I do it every day!!

Angela, I think you are right!!!

Unless weight LOSS is involved, it does seem very hard to notice changes. I seem to notice on other people, but we all look for that kind of thing. We are more atuned to it. But everyday, non-fitness oriented people don't seem to notice at all unless you have recently lost 20 lbs. Sucks.

I am no ectomorph by any sense of the word. Definite meso/endo mix here. But, seems to me ectos have the greatest tendency to have a six-pack you can see. Well, maybe beaten only by PURE mesos. Just my opinion...

Hi ecto sisters!

I've been reading this thread and really enjoying it! I recently cut back on cardio to get in more weight training - specifically the slow and heavy series. I started on Sunday August 11th and just this week when I put in the chest/back tape I noticed when I got to the incline exercises I had to increase my poundage! I couldn't believe it but was really thrilled! :) So I think that strength gains are truly possibly with this series. I hope to add muscle mass as well (and will check my weight and bodyfat every 2-3 weeks).

I plan to stay on the rotation that I've set up for myself for 5 weeks. I know Cathe says 3, but I really want to see what I can accomplish with this series and feel that I can go a little longer. Once I've completed the rotation, I'll switch to the PS series for 2-3 weeks and then back to S&H. Hopefully alternating between the two will work for me.

As far as cardio is concerned I'm trying to keep 3 sessions as my max. I'm using step, kickbox and hi/lo workouts for the moment. I've also added in 2 pilate's and 1 yoga workout each week (all short sessions) to tack on after either a short cardio or one of the upper body tapes! Guess I should mention that I'm doing a modified version of the slow/heavy and lower body solution.

How has everyone been doing with their workouts? Any other advice or suggestions?

This is a really great thread!! :) I would definitely enjoy an ecto thread/check-in! :)

I second the motion on an ecto check-in! How would that work?

I'm seeing strength gains, too, doing SH, PS and pyramid heavy weight lifting on my own. I can do one of those single arm, across the face tricep presses ( sorry, don't know the official name) with a ten pound dumbell now! That's a big deal for me!

I'm not sure why, but my upper body seems to be progressing faster than the lower. Too bad, 'cuz I really want to get rid of those "chicken legs!"

Angela

All are invited!!!!!

I'm definitely in favor of this. How about a post on Open Discussion with ectomorph in the title? (Maybe I could spell ectomorph right this time.) But, I don't know if I'll be able to begin this thread every week, my schedule will change drastically when school begins. Would anyone like to start it until I can settle in? Even if it ends up you and I Angela, we'll still have a lot of info to share.:)

Julie

RE: All are invited!!!!!

Angela - congratulations on lifting with that 10 lb. db! I can do my first set with 10 but after this I resort to 8's. I'm getting there though! :)

Robin - how are you? I am very glad to see you here among the crowd, small as it may be! :) I'll have to re-read that thread you mentioned.

I am all for a check-in! I need to be accountable to others so that I am sure to stay on track and keep challenging myself. Right around week 3 of a rotation I start getting antsy, especially when others are talking about their great rotations and new videos. But my plan is to stick with the one I'm doing now for the duration (5 weeks total, tomorrow is the last day of week 2! Yeah!)

Question for everyone. The other night while I was doing chest and back, I found that I have the most difficult time keeping my lower back pressed into the bench. I can't seem to retract my shoulders and press my lower back down at the same time. I realized at one point that I was so busy focusing on this that I wasn't paying as close attention to my form and squeezing the muscles during the lifting phases. What am I doing wrong? Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Angie

Back question

Could be a problem with the natural curve of your spine. I had an x-ray done of my chest and back for a totally unrelated reason, but was very surprised to see "scoliosis" written in the comments on the offical report. I guess I've got some curvature I was unaware of. I find it hard to get my entire back totally flat, too. Just a thought.

Incidentally, we ectos are at high risk for osteoporosis, and as most of you know, weight training can actually reverse damage and rebuild bone, so keep liftin' folks!

Hey, I don't mind getting the "Ectochick" thread started. Is it just a matter of posting a note every week or so to see how everyone's progressing?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.