help with yoga

sexymommy

Hi Everyone
I need help in choosing a good yoga tape.I have never tried yoga before,I think it will work well with all my Cathe workouts!I need something that is not boring!
Thanks
:)

I'm not a huge yoga fan yet (I say yet because I think I don't get in to it because I'm still a big girl~and there are soooo many yoga poses you just AIN'T getting in to when you're 200lbs!)

However~ I do have 2 yoga tapes I thoroughly enjoy and CAN DO!
They are: "Crunch:Fat Burning Yoga" and "Crunch:Joy of Yoga", both I got for $9.95 at Amazon.com, and they are completely doable and to me, fun.

Donna

I think that the Crunch Joy of Yoga is an excellent beginner tape--it was my first about 2 years ago now. Karen Voigts Sculpt & Tone is more athletic, less "mystic," effective and solid tape. Yoga Zone has great beginner tapes, usually set outside in very pretty settings. Rodney Yee has a bunch of yoga tapes: "yoga for athletes" is one many people really love and is available at most stores that sell work out tapes. I saw it recently at Sports Authority. I don't really care for him as an instructor, but his workouts are solid.

My favorite yoga tape is Yoga Zone Power Yoga, but it is not the tape to start out with. I like Brian Kest too.

Know in advance that Yoga for strength is way different than Yoga for flexibility or Yoga for relaxation and you need to decide what your goal is with doing Yoga to pick the right tape. Go to www.collagevideo.com and check out the yoga section. Even if you don't buy from them, their labeling system and description is usually pretty accurate (i.e is it mostly stretch, more power, chatty, eastern, beginner or advanced, etc.)

One final thought- If you get into Yoga seriously, invest in a good instruction book. You don't get the nuances of proper poses from a tape. I found my yoga practice has improved exponentially by combining a good instruction book with tapes.

Good luck! :)

I love Bryan Kest's power yoga tapes (pretty cheap at sam's club online; shop around). I hadn't really done any yoga - I did Yoga Journal's beginner tape a couple times (didn't like it too much - too slow) and I've been able to keep up. He emphasizes that it's all very personal to the individual - you may not be able to bend your body into a pretzel but you do what you can ;) best wishes!

HI,

I'm not sure what kind of yoga you would like to do, but I enjoy power yoga very much (bryan kest and Mark Blanchard). I've heard great things about the Ali Mcgraw video, Yoga mind and body, but I've never tried it because I prefer the more strenuous power yoga tapes.

Good Luck. You may want to check out videofitness.com forum. There is a plethora of info there about yoga videos.

Kristie S

I Love Yoga.

For beginning; Ali McGraw I like ALOT. Also: Kathy Smith New Yoga Challenge. Rodney Yee: Yoga for Beginners. Someone said to look in Collage's descriptions and I agree: they have good descriptions. You will not be sorry to add this facet to your routine.

I'm a wee bit embarassed to say this, but I liked my Dixie Carter "Un-Workout" yoga tapes the best for beginning work and still use them regularly. (Others in my collection include Yoga Journal series, Kathy Smith, and others. They just don't do it for me like she does.) The first is about an hour long, and the second is broken into 2 20-minute segments for a.m. and p.m. with an extra relaxation section thrown in. They aren't reviewed at videofitness.com, but you can read reviews at amazon.com. To me, the whole "attitude" of them reminds me of Cathe's stretch segments on her latest series like CTX, only the poses are held longer. My teenage son uses them also to get the kinks out after heavy weight workouts too!

For a more relaxing workout, do try Ali McGraw's Yoga Mind and Body. And Bryan Kest's 3 volume series is absolutely amazing. I am also a fan of Baron Baptiste's Soul of Strength. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.