Help, please! Spinning hurts!

jldx2in2000

Cathlete
First, I would like to apologize for this containing too much information. :eek:

I got a Spinner Fit bike back in June. I love spinning and even though I have this slight annoying problem, I have no intentions of quitting. Since June, I have been spinning 1-2 times a week with each session being anywhere from 45-90 minutes. No matter how long or short the ride is, I end up with the same problem. When I am showering after my ride and go to wash my lady parts, it feels like the pouf netting has suddenly been transformed into razor blades cutting me up. :confused: This feeling tends to show up when I go to the bathroom as well but only lasts 1 day (2 days max for the longer rides).

I have spin shorts from Pearl Izumi (2 different kinds) so I don't know what else to do. I read in Prevention magazine that you really are not supposed to wear underwear with spin shorts so I have been trying that for a few weeks and still have the same problem.

Again, sorry for the TMI but I appreciate anyone that can help me solve this very annoying side effect.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm - sounds like a) you're just a very sensitive gal, and b) you may actually be sitting "too hard" in the saddle. If you're new to spinning, this is common. Until you get the leg and core strength. You really have to think about sitting "high and light." (although 90 minutes is a long ride, regardless). The only other thing I can think of is maybe you're actually sensitive to whatever is in your shorts (that sounds funny!). Try wearing something else once or twice and see if that helps. I don't wear bike shorts or anything special - just my regular workout gear. I have a gel seat cover on my bike.

I'm not sure if slight chafing is the problem, but would something like BodyGlide or Vaseline applied beforehand help? I had a similar problem with long runs and have found applying a lubricant eliminates any discomfort.

HTH

Hmm - sounds like a) you're just a very sensitive gal, and b) you may actually be sitting "too hard" in the saddle. If you're new to spinning, this is common. Until you get the leg and core strength. You really have to think about sitting "high and light." (although 90 minutes is a long ride, regardless). The only other thing I can think of is maybe you're actually sensitive to whatever is in your shorts (that sounds funny!). Try wearing something else once or twice and see if that helps. I don't wear bike shorts or anything special - just my regular workout gear. I have a gel seat cover on my bike.

Interesting! Now that I think about, this problem is less of a problem when the ride includes more time out of the saddle with climbs and jumps. When I do straight steady state in the saddle, it is really bad. I have never concentrated on sitting “high and light” so I’ll try to make a mental note of that on my next ride. Right now I have been concentrating on keeping my feet flat and making sure I feel my leg muscles working on both the push down of the pedal and the pull up. Thanks for the ideas!

I'm not sure if slight chafing is the problem, but would something like BodyGlide or Vaseline applied beforehand help? I had a similar problem with long runs and have found applying a lubricant eliminates any discomfort.

I wondered if it was chafing too. I’ll put Vaseline on my list of things to try. I have heard of Body Glide being used by many athletes to prevent chafing but will probably try the Vaseline first since my guess is it is cheaper. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help, but I had/have kind of the same problem. I never had a problem until after giving birth and then I could never get comfortable on the bike seat. My soft parts hurt as well as the bony parts. I got a bike seat with a hole/slot in it to prevent any pressure from pressing on my soft parts. There are multiple brands out there, but I got a Terry Brand. I also tilted the seat down a bit. This really helped the soft tissue pain.

However, I still have pain on the bony parts. (without drawing a picture, this may be difficult to describe!) So, the soft tissue between the legs no longer has pain due to the seat with the hole/slot, but the bony parts on the sides of the soft tissue are sore due to all my weight being on those bones while riding. I don't know how to prevent the bony parts from being sore other than regular riding (I don't ride all that often right now but expect that to change when Cathe's spin video is released). I was going to look into padded shorts for the bony parts. Also, I have found that sitting up straighter helps (rather than hunched down putting pressure on the front bony part).

Good luck, if it is the soft parts that hurt, maybe that seat will help. I actually tried maybe 7 seats with holes in them before I kept the ones I have now (road and mountain bike). The seats vary in the size of the hole/slot, the cushioning of the actual seat and the width of the overall seat.

PM me if you would like a picture of the bike seat.

I actually had the same problem as well after I first started riding. Mine cleared up as I got used to positioning & such. It was good to hear that other women experience this as well. :eek: Lots of great advice, thanks for stepping out on a limb & posting! Hope all is well for you soon! :)

I actually had the same problem as well after I first started riding. Mine cleared up as I got used to positioning & such. It was good to hear that other women experience this as well. :eek: Lots of great advice, thanks for stepping out on a limb & posting! Hope all is well for you soon! :)

Funny you say that because it took me almost 4 months to post this question. I think I kept thinking it would get better and sometimes it does but then wham it hits again out of nowhere. It is a relief to see so many others suffering with me. Misery loves company!

I'm also sensitive in the sattle. I have a padded seat cover for my spin bike (gel) and I use padded bike shorts. I also remind myself to sit up straight and not put all my weight in the seat, but in the legs...hope that helps.
Jo

I am definitely going to be trying this. I was having back issues from the handlebars being to low so I have moved them up. Hopefully that will help in this area too.

Thanks!

I am an avid cyclist (on the road) and whenever I take time off and start up again I have to get my body acclimated to "time in the saddle". I know that my advice sounds counter intuitive, but it sounds to me like one way to build up to getting your body so it is more comfortable on the bike is - more time in the saddle - but start at shorter total times (if possible). Do something like 15-30 minute stretches and build up to an hour. And perhaps ride 3-4 times a week, rather than just 1-2, that way your body can actually develop "callouses" - not exactly callouses, but it gets less uncomfortable.

I also recommend the seats that have a hole cut out in them. I also have a terry saddle (the butterfly seat) and it is very well worn in and makes my rides infinitely more comfortable. That being said, there is always some level of discomfort, but it does get more bearable.

Hope you find some advice that is helpful!

sarah

My husband got a new bike seat with nothing in the middle of it...just blank space...and only a seat on the sides and empty space in the middle...because his "stuff" was actually getting numb...er...which can be a problem :eek::confused::(.

Anyway...he tried out about 3 to 4 seats from the bike shop...you can actually borrow them with a refundable deposit to try them out....finally he found one that does not do that to him.

best wishes and cheers!

I would also say watch what soap you use. Any soap that is even mildly irritating can make this problem worse. I don't have any issues as long as I am using a very mild non-scented non-allergenic soap (both body soap and laundry soap). I am a regular Spinner (for 16 years) and in the past I've had the exact problem you described. For me it seemed to have two causes: one of my pairs of spin shorts which had a "female unfriendly" construction, and the soap I was using. I threw away the shorts and changed my soap. Problem still comes back if I use an irritating soap.

Stebby

Don't use vaseline....

Vaseline will ruin that Pearl Izumi chamois. Use a chamois cream designed to wash out and not ruin the fabric. Assos is good (ya the name lacks huh?) Here are some links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B000FTO5HU/ref=tag_dpp_cust_edpp_sa

Chamois Cream Shootout: Chamois Butt’r – Beljum Budder – DZ Nuts - Bike Rumor

More padding may not be what you need, rather support of the sit-bones is very important. Cut out saddles are great for this. I ride Selle Italia and Terry for these reasons, they are awesome for that sort of thing.

Wow! Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I will definitely be looking into the cutout seat and the creams. I also have to continue to work on my form but I am hoping Cathe will have plenty of pointers in Cycle Max for that.

Thanks again for the tips and letting me know I am not alone!

Sara made a good suggestion about decreasing your duration & increasing your frequency until you have a tolerance built up. even an hour in the saddle if you're not used to it will most likely be uncomfortable. it does go away, promise!

Nita (Dirt Diva) also made a good suggestion...definitely do not use vaseline. i like the Chamois Butt'r and also there is a product called AsMaster. it's made by a small company in Florida, Sport Masters LLC. the Assos if I remember has a menthol type ingredient which is fine for males & if you are using it on the "outside" - if you get my drift. when I do long rides I also use the chamois cream on the "inside" and it prevents all that tearing-feeling you were talking about. i would not recommend Assos or any menthol-type chamois cream for the "inside" but the Chamois Butt'r and AsMaster is fine. it really works!

for spinning, since the workouts are 50-60 mins, I don't have to use bike shorts. you will def get used to the seat. have you checked your bike set-up? could be that your seat is too high or the fore & aft is not correct. also, how wide is your bike seat? if it's pretty wide you would want to get one that is not very wide. it gets in the way. hope this helps!

....the Assos if I remember has a menthol type ingredient which is fine for males & if you are using it on the "outside" - if you get my drift. when I do long rides I also use the chamois cream on the "inside" and it prevents all that tearing-feeling you were talking about. i would not recommend Assos or any menthol-type chamois cream for the "inside" but the Chamois Butt'r and AsMaster is fine. it really works!

Laina...good point! My husband loves Assos and that the only thing he wants me to buy. I use Chamois Butt'r on all-day rides and menthol would not be good for women, I agree! Read those labels!

My husband got a new bike seat with nothing in the middle of it...just blank space...and only a seat on the sides and empty space in the middle...because his "stuff" was actually getting numb...er...which can be a problem :eek::confused::(.

Anyway...he tried out about 3 to 4 seats from the bike shop...you can actually borrow them with a refundable deposit to try them out....finally he found one that does not do that to him.

best wishes and cheers!

Bwhahahahahahahaha. Sorry, I'm not laughing at your DH I just thought the comment was funny. :D :cool:

Butt Butt'r!

Chamois cream:

Amazon.com: Chamois BUTT'r: Sports & Outdoors
available at your local bike store too
(someone mentioned astroglide, which would work, too, I've heard. astroglide is specifically marketed towards runners and chamois cream to bikers; i dont' know the specific differences).

I do a lot of road biking when the weather's nice; I don't have this problem all the time, but notice when I do, it's in hotter weather. But this was a life-saver for me when my bf brought it on our 150-mile ride. He brought a tube for each of us, and I told him I didn't need it, but ... .I dont' think I could have survived without it. The next two years, same ride, I was armed with it but didn't need it!

I like the 'high and light' advice that was mentioned. I never heard that before, but I'm going to concentrate on it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.