heart rate calorie calculator weirdness

Audryb

Cathlete
Ok, so this is sort of a theoretical question... I don't usually pay a huge amount of attention to calories, but I'm still very puzzled.

The background: I am a member of a hot yoga/ circuit training studio that has some very intense classes. The other day the studio made a post on their facebook page that one of their students, a woman who weighs about 100 lbs, burned over 800 calories in one of their classes, and they posted a photo of the heart rate monitor she was wearing, which read 827 cals. The class is an hour long.

I am also a roughly 100 lb female about the same age as the woman in question, and have never seen calorie burn on my HRM that high after 1 hour, even with pretty intense workouts. Just out of curiosity, I googled heart-rate calorie counters to try to see what it would take for a 100 lb female roughly my age to burn 827 calories in an hour.

I found one, and put in some educated guesses for the parameters and started calculating calorie burn. I found that it wasn't quite as hard as I expected (though it still stretches my credulity a little) to get a calorie burn at least in the right ballpark, but as I was playing around I noticed something that seemed off. As I increased the weight parameter, the calorie burn went down, rather than up. There was no height parameter, so it didn't seem like the calculator was adjusting for fitness or BMI based on the weight. So the way it was calculating, it was telling me that a woman the same age and fitness level as me but a foot taller would burn fewer calories while working at the same intensity. This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

My reasoning: calories are a unit of heat energy that can be converted to Joules, the standard unit of measure for work in physics. Joules are equal to kg·m2/s2 (can't do superscripts here, but that would be meters squared and seconds squared) so that all other things being equal, as weight increases, work increases. Work = energy expended = calorie burn.

I know that fitness level can impact efficiency and therefore precise calorie burn between individuals of the same weight, or the same individual at different weights, etc. but for approximate calculations those things would be assumed to be constant, no? I found a couple more calculators, and they are all behaving the same way. Some have more data fields than others, but none ask for both height and weight. The really odd thing is that if I calculate calorie burn for men, the burn increases with weight as I would expect; it's only for women that it seems to be backwards. Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like all of these calculators could be wrong.

Here are the ones I've tried:
Heart Rate Based Calorie Burn Calculator

Calories Burned By Heart Rate | Calories Calculator

Heart Rate Based Calorie Burn Calculator for Unknown VO2max

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Last edited:
This is just a guess, but the calculations may be assuming that over a certain weight, a woman's "extra" weight must be fat, but that a man's "extra" weight must be muscle. Pound for pound, a fat person burns less than a muscular person. I have seen this too on my HRM and am confused by it. Right now I am on the fatter end of my range and it tells me I am burning less than when I was 20 lb lighter with the same amount of muscle.

Stebby

I would be really surprised that a 100 pound woman would get a 800 plus calorie burn for just one hour. I am a lot overweight, and I don't usually see more than 600 calories burned on a tough Cathe workout. It just seems unlikely. Btw, the heavier I am, the harder I am working because I am moving more mass. However, that said, almost all of the hrms are making a calculation based on a gross assumption of my fat/bone/muscle ratios. Needless to say, I have a tremendous amount of muscle (being a Cathlete), and I weigh more than most people my size (the guy at the fair is always wrong by over 30 pounds. I win hats every time.)

Back when I was over 260 pounds, I would top out at 1200 calories per hour.
<this is the part where I do my happy dance for having kept 60 pounds off for 4 years without a gastric bypass or drugs:D>>

I agree about the 800 cals. After I posted this, I wore my heart rate monitor to the same class for a comparison, and it told me I burned 319 calories. I realized afterward that I had my "activity level" set incorrectly, so that number might have been a little low, but I have a Garmin 405cx which uses firstbeat analysis that is supposed to be about the most accurate you can get outside of expensive lab testing.

I also noticed that the watch the girl was wearing was a Timex ironman, which I looked up and discovered is advertised as a MEN's watch. I downloaded the instruction manual for that watch and there were instructions for setting your weight, max hr and resting hr, but not for setting your sex. I went back to the online calculators and put in an avg heart rate of 155, 100 lbs, 1 hr, and it told me a MALE would burn about 825 cals. So I think that might be the key. I think the estimate is still high, because for a female it said well over 600 cals, same parameters, compared to my measured 319, but if her hrm was using the same formula the online calculators use, and assuming she was a male, then at least it explains what happened.

I still don't get why the online calculators decrease the estimated calorie burn as the weight increases.

(It probably sounds like I'm all up in arms about them posting "wrong" info or something... I'm not, I just have this weird compulsion to research and analyze things I find puzzling)

Even if you run for an hour

You will still burn approximately 600 calories, and I do not see that it is possible for a 100 pound woman to burn 800 in one class. I may be wrong, and, although I am a personal trainer, I know that I am far from perfect. My Polar FT40 heart rate monitor rarely acts up.

In an hour doing crossfire I only burn 489 calories and that is highest I get. I even jog for 45 min and get about 400, so im 5 feet 1 and 145..i use a heartrate monitor. And my heart rate gets up to 168 jogging. Crossfire when I get going 145 to 175 a few times during the workout but mostly stays at 155 160 bpm. So I dont know. Maybe that can help put things intoprespective.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.