Healthy Breakfast Idea's?

fitgrl

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering what everyone eats for breakfast. I basically eat the same old things and I thought maybe some of you could give me other idea's that are healthy and would go well with cardio and or weight training workouts. Right now I eat things like Raisin bran, Wheaties, coco wheats (adding protein powder) egg whites with a piece of toast. That's really about all except for maybe a protein bar one of those days. Any other idea's? Thanks

Michelle:)

Hi Michelle, I do eat pretty much the same things for breakfast and they do get boring.:) But there are days when I do cardio first thing in the morning and days when I weight train late in the morning instead of in the afternoon. So I either have:

4 eggwhites scrambled on a pan lightly sprayed with Pam, topped with a slice of non-fat cheese and sprinkled with 4 teaspoons of slivered almonds; a slice of whole wheat bread; half an apple (or half an orange or half a cup of grapes) -- sometimes I sub a slice of low-fat lean ham for cheese

or

1/2 cup cooked oatmeal (the traditional kind), a scoop of protein powder, 2-3 tablespoons of wheat germ, a sprinkling of slivered almonds

That's it. These are the foods that last me the entire morning. Those power bars get me hungry again in two hours. I do have those bars when I'm eating on the run. Hope this helps.

Pinky

Oatmeal with walnuts or ground flaxseed and some frozen blue or blackberries.

I put flax seed on anything I can. (Cold cereal, salads, protein shakes) I just try to eat some most days.

Sometimes I eat yogurt with flax seed, pumpkin seeds, walnuts.

A piece of toast with nut butter, soy butter.

Cottage cheese with a bit of applesauce.

I freeze extra pancakes and sometimes pop one in the toaster oven, then add some peanut butter and make a little burrito out of it.

Leftovers from dinner sometimes work too.

Hi Michelle! You've already gotten some good ideas but I'll add to make a 1 whole egg & 2 egg white omelet & put the omelet in a whole wheat wrap for a sandwich or the same omelet + 1/2 of a baked potato w/salsa or cream of rice w/blueberries & a 2 egg white omelet. Happy eating! Kathy

Hi Michelle...I usually eat either I cup plain Yogurt with blueberries, blackberries and some peanuts mixed or 3/4 cup Lowfat Cottage cheese with an apple chopped up, blueberries and nuts...sometimes I add a string chees for a bit more protein...:)...Carole

Oatmeal!! I have to admit...with brown sugar. Every morning. I satisfy my sweet tooth and get my fiber.

Sometimes, I will Yoplait yogurt and slice bananas.

I find that the oatmeal keeps me satisfied for hours afterwards.

Right now I'm on a kick from the leandandstrong.com board:

1 corn tortilla
1/3 cup black beans
1 egg/4 egg whites scrambled with seasonings
tomato
mushroom
artichoke hearts

Often I do homemade extra lean ground turkey sausage with fruit or oatmeal with CC on top and a few berries tossed in.

Colleen

My favorite breakfast is 2 overeasy eggs (cooked with Pam cooking spray) with 2 pieces of pumpernikel or rye toast and a small glass of oj.

I also really like Aunt Jemima Wheat Pancakes. Yummy!!!

When I'm short on time, I have instant oatmeal (my favorite flavor is the apple crisp) and a banana.

I like cereal from Nature's Path. They are organic and do not contain much sugar. When I was getting used to the taste of oatmeal, I would mix half (cold) cereal flakes and half oatmeal together. With the hot water the two mixed well together. I've recently stopped eating a buttery begal and feel much better.

http://www.naturespath.com/products/

Susan C.M.

One of my favorites right now is a recipe from the McCann's quick cooking irish oatmeal box which I have modified a bit. I usually double the batch throw them in a baggy and take a couple out each morning and pop in the microwave for 1 minute spread 1 tsp. sugar free apricot preserves on each and serve with a piece of turkey bacon.

Oatmeal Pancakes
1 1/4 cup McCann's quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup light yougurt (all flavors seem to work well but I usually use lemon)
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese blended in food processor or blender
1 tsp honey
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In large bowl mix all ingredients together. Heat pan with butter cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook until bottoms are browned and bubbles on top start to pop about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on other side.

Jessica

Hi Michelle --

I normally eat one of the following for breakfast:

1. 1 cup of cereal (I like Special K with Strawberries)with an Ultra Pure Protein ready-to-drink shake (I like the banana flavor) instead of milk. It's about 330 cals and 35 g protein.

2. A Tri-o-Plex bar (about 350 cals and 33 g protein plus 5 g fiber). The chocolate chip peanut butter is delicious.

I'm lazy and normally in a hurry in the morning so I rely on supplements rather than cooking something. But that's just me :)

Shonie

I have Kashi cereal with skim milk, coffee, and sometimes a banana every morning. I know it's a bit heavy on the carbs, but I workout an hour after I eat, and this is what I've found gives me the best energy. I concentrate on getting my protein in the rest of the day. I know there are tons of theories out there which probably contradict what I do, but hey ... it works for me, you know?

Carol
:)

I made something new- not sure how good it is for ya but I'm always in a hurry to get out the door and get to work after my workout in the morning. so I took a little smart balance butter and 1/2 cup peanut butter melt that in microwave and add 1/2 bag of mini marshmallos- microwave that till they get puffy and then add almost a full box of post bran flakes with almonds,peaches and raisins....stir that up press in a pan and there you have quick bars to grab before work- it's cheaper than buying those protein bars. I think next time though I will add flax seed or wheat germ to it and more raisins...you can add anything to it to make it more healthy. But this way I still get protein and fiber and a little piece keeps me full till I can get to work get settled in and have brunch. it's cool too because the family likes it and the peanut butter and marshmallows hide some of the flavor they might not like (ya know the ol' "ohhh healthy stuff" you get from kids and sometimes big kids) well it may not be the best but I think it's still better than a bowl of ice cream or a tastycake or candybar ya know?
I found it from the KRAFT food and family magazine they send me.. it's very yummy

I make an omelette with 2 eggs, 2 whites. I spray the pan with pam and then let it cook. Once done I put in half a cup of spinach and a slice of cheese (real) and eat. Plus I have half a cup of pineapple.

Sometimes I eat a protein shake made with half the recommend water and add some fat free pudding mix (angel delight – butterscotch!) and let set in the fridge and eat that for breakfast – makes a lovely pudding. Yum.

Oatmeal with nuts, and protein powder.

I usually stick with the omelette as its has everything i need. Fruit, vegetable, eggs, protein, carbohydrates (but from the right sources).

Hope this helps.

Wayne x

This past week I have been eating a serving or 1 1/2 servings of a breakfast casserole. It is a new recipe I have just recently tried.
The nutritional breakdown is included at the bottom. I make the casserole at night, cut it up, put it in containers, and refrigerate them. In the morning I warm it up in the microwave. Very easy and quick for me.

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
5 oz lean ham chopped very fine
1/2 onion chopped
3c frozen shredded hashbrowns
1 1/2 cup cottage cheese
6 oz reduced fat cheddar or swiss cheese shredded
2 cups of egg substitute

saute the onion with cooking spray until tender.
mix the onion and all other ingredients in a bowl.
spray a 9 x 11 pan and pour ingredients into the pan. bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
serves 8
calories 210
fat 5g
protein 23g
carb 15g

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

I've always been pretty bad at breakfast, but I'm making an effort. When I'm not lazy, I make oatmeal, and add ground flax and soymilk. When I really have time, I make a tofu frittata (sauté red/green pepper, onions, mushrooms in olive oil, add tofu mixed with tofu scramble mix and extra nutritional yeast, stir it up and mash it into the pan to get more solid while it finishes cooking.

When I'm lazy (usually) I will have one of several breakfasts:
A couple of fresh walnuts with a whole grain/flax bagel and a banana; soy yogurt drink with fruit and an energy bar; double serving of cereal (whole grain) with soy milk (I now use unsweetened soy milk for this) with a fruit.

In the summer, I like to eat a whole mango with blueberries and a dollop of soy vanilla pudding (made from Mori nu mix).

1. 2 slices bran for life bread/ melted soy cheese on top
a serving of fruit or V8 juice
or

2. Egg White Omlette with mushrooms/spinach/artichoke hearts/tomatoes or any combination of veggies & lite english muffin plain or with buter spray V8 juice. may add salsa or hot sauce to omlette

or

3. Kashi or Fiber One cereal (1 cup) or One serving cooked Old Fashioned Oatmeal./1 cup soy milk one peice of fruit.

* favorite fruit suggestions : cut up an apple in bites size peices cook in microwave 2" and mix with cinnamon and 1 tsp splenda.
frozen berries 1 cup any kind!
Wymans canned wild maine blueberries in water
Recently I've found Wymans frozen wild Maine blueberies at BJ's Wholesale club
** I do try to rotate choices here. It helps to prevent boredom

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.