hate cutting onions

I have used goggles and they are effective. Interestingly, contacts work too. When I have my contacts in I have no trouble chopping onions.

Don't breathe thru your nose while you chop them. Breathe thru your mouth and you will never have a tear in your eyes while you cut them again!:D

I throw mine in the freezer for 10 minutes or so, and rinse in ice cold water after peeling them...Then chop fast and furious before the tears start falling!

MJ in MN

I've heard that holding a pin in your mouth (a straight pin) while chopping prevents tears. Old wives tale or true?

I have those onion goggles! Stylish, aren't they? LOL!

This really works!

I cook a lot and chop onions almost daily...I couldn't wear contacts for about a month when I had an eye infection, and needless to say I was miserable (yes, wearing contact lenses does keep the tears away!)...I then stumbled across an article in my Cooking Light magazine that said if you turn one or two of your stove burners on (I have gas, but I assume electric would work too) and chop the onions near the heat source, the heat draws the sulfur gas compound upward and away from you and like magic, no more tears! I have to admit I was skeptical, but I tried it myself and it really does work...give it a go and see if it works for you. Good luck!

I throw mine in the freezer for 10 minutes or so, and rinse in ice cold water after peeling them...Then chop fast and furious before the tears start falling!

MJ in MN

This has worked great for me too (just putting them in the freezer), I accidentally stumbled on this idea after chopping a refrigerated onion and noticed I was barely tearing up at all. I used to wear goggles, my husband thought I was nuts, I can't believe there are actually onion cutting goggles!

How 'bout a Pampered Chef chopper? I have one and it keeps all of the vapors contained and makes chopping onions so quick.

The gas stove trick is the answer!! Put your chopping board right next to the burner and chop away. My eyes are so sensitive that I struggle with even just scallions. The other night I chopped up a large red onion with narry a single tear. It's a miracle!!
(watch out though, as soon as you take the onion away from the burner, your eyes will start to tear up).

I heard to cut next to running water (sink). I dont usually cut too many onions at a time so it doesnt bother me. I also always buy red onions.. I think they may be less "fumey". I did use some regular work goggles for cutting jalepenos before. Those burn your throat too! I had to hold my breath. I also had to wear plastic gloves to keep my fingers from burning and the juice ending up in my eyes or anywhere it could start burning. That was only for one recipe that required a handful of diced jalepenos. No matter how careful I was and washed my hands afterwards I'd get it on my mouth or eyes so I used gloves. haven't made that in a looong time now though. ha

I wondered if those goggles actually worked or not, good to know they do. Onions just tear me up! The contact lens also explains the mystery of why my DSD can cut onions with no tears. I had no idea. I am going to try some of these tricks next time

Pam

I have the onion goggles, too! My DH can cut loads of onions, so I was trying to have him dice extra while he was at it. It worked pretty well, but he isn't always home when I need him.

My reaction to the onions got so bad that I had to do something and the goggles have worked very well. Not stylish, but I did get the tortoise shell frames to add a bit of sophistication

I cook a lot and chop onions almost daily...I couldn't wear contacts for about a month when I had an eye infection, and needless to say I was miserable (yes, wearing contact lenses does keep the tears away!)...I then stumbled across an article in my Cooking Light magazine that said if you turn one or two of your stove burners on (I have gas, but I assume electric would work too) and chop the onions near the heat source, the heat draws the sulfur gas compound upward and away from you and like magic, no more tears! I have to admit I was skeptical, but I tried it myself and it really does work...give it a go and see if it works for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Somebody is a genius!

I just chopped a whole onion next to the gas burner on my cooktop and didn't have a single tear! Wow!!

pampered chef chopper. It works quickly, so you aren't exposed to the smell as long and it doesn't get all over your fingers and linger on them for days. Easy to clean as well

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.