Has PETA lost its mind, or...?

I don't comdemn the urge to take flies outside- I do that for spiders and mostly leave other bugs alone. I take issue with PETA's way of getting their message across- it is ineffective, alienating and ultimately, ridiculous.

I also leave most bugs alone in my house, or try to bring them outside. If it's causing destruction in my house, I would have to take action, but for the most part they are just living out there short lives so i put up with them. i'm not a big fan of peta though, they seem extreme.

Hm, after skimming that second article:

I don't have a problem with opposition to animal testing. It's horrific, and I've read that it can be done other ways, but it's cheaper to work on live animals. Ugh.

Obviously, I support better conditions for farm animals. I hate the circus. But I was always under the impression that zoo animals are well cared for. It seems like people who work there are very educated and really love their job and those in their charge.

I can't dictate diet for anyone else but myself, so I won't go as far as what PETA demands, even though I eat that way.

I've found the attitude towards animal companionship interesting. Though I suppose I can kind of understand the opposition to it, I think it's too absolute (swinging too far in the other direction) and unrealistic.

Obviously, bombing facilities and intimidating/hurting people is vile.

Last edited:
RE: zoos: Some zoo animals are treated well, and I know a lot of zoos are doing a lot to try to help endangered species. But there are lots more bad zoos than good zoos, in my opinion.

The "no companion animal" thing is considered to be the logical extension of a total abolition of animal "use" - if we have no right to use animals for food, work, amusement, medical testing, etc., and if we don't have the right to manipulate their genetics to suit our preferences, then we don't have the right to breed animals to be desirable companions for ourselves. I actually agree with this, ethically (we have already established that I am a fringe-dwelling lunatic in the other vegan thread, so there is no need to remind me), but I admit that the idea of a world with no doggies absolutely breaks my heart.

Not a fan of PETA either. Just too dang nutty. But, since PETA is so protective of flies, I think it would be in the best interest of the fly population if they just relocated to the homes of PETA members.
~michelle

PETA wishes Obama hadn't swatted that fly
Updated Thu. Jun. 18 2009 8:36 AM ET

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

All I have to say is that some people need to get a REAL life! I believe in treating animals humanely, but really!

Tricia

in all fairness, PETA advocates the ethical treatment of animals, of which flies are a member. what a great PR stunt.

Holy crap, I just posted about this on FB (tneah's thread, to be precise). Ingrid Johannson, right? A total whack job. I used to live near their HQ in Norfolk. Here's my experience:

I hate PETA. I interviewed for a job w/them & they told me if I wanted to work there I wasn't allowed to wear leather shoes, purses or coats. :-O I took a job as a grant writer w/the children's hospital across the street, & they actually demonstrated AT THE HOSPITAL ENTRANCE when a rodeo did a fundraiser for the hospital. I mean, parents are bringing their children in for chemo, dialysis, etc., & they should have to cross a picket line? That's the very minute PETA lost any credibility w/me.

To this day I don't understand why they couldn't picket at the rodeo instead of the children's hospital. Laziness, or shock tactics? :mad:

BTW, I think Kim Basinger & my BF Bill are also big supporters. :confused:

Holy crap, I just posted about this on FB (tneah's thread, to be precise). Ingrid Johannson, right? A total whack job. I used to live near their HQ in Norfolk. Here's my experience:

I hate PETA. I interviewed for a job w/them & they told me if I wanted to work there I wasn't allowed to wear leather shoes, purses or coats. :-O I took a job as a grant writer w/the children's hospital across the street, & they actually demonstrated AT THE HOSPITAL ENTRANCE when a rodeo did a fundraiser for the hospital. I mean, parents are bringing their children in for chemo, dialysis, etc., & they should have to cross a picket line? That's the very minute PETA lost any credibility w/me.

To this day I don't understand why they couldn't picket at the rodeo instead of the children's hospital. Laziness, or shock tactics? :mad:

Hey Laura, since you are thinking about vacation, does that mean that things are better at work- or at least, less unstable?

Penn & Teller's Bullsh*t did a great segment on Peta.

Technically, all medicines should be off limits because they have been tested on animals. Also, all vegetable farms use "captive" bees for pollination.

Hey Laura, since you are thinking about vacation, does that mean that things are better at work- or at least, less unstable?

Not to thread drift but.....no, things are terrible here. Worse, if anything. I have some money stashed away to relocate for a job I applied for recently. If the job doesn't pan out, I'm gonna GTH outta Dodge for a week or so to decompress & blow half that relocation stash on something fab. :)

Thanks for asking--I just KNOW the right thing will come along someday!

Right you are Laura. Your BF is on the board of directors! He has had that nut job Ingrid on his show. Peta should really find someone else to do their PR. Every time I see her she make me want to go out and eat some meat! She was on the Colbert Report and told this ridiculous story about being on a plane that had some problems in flight. She talked about what went through her mind. She actually said that she thought something along the lines of, I can't die, I'm an activist. I'm doing important things in this world. When she landed safely, did she decide to spend more time with loved ones? Learn to appreciate her life more? No! She told a friend that when she dies she wants them to have a BBQ with her as then main course. Then when people say the meat is good he should tell them it's human! Maybe she thought she was being funny but she came across as a total holier than thou bitch.

Right you are Laura. Your BF is on the board of directors! He has had that nut job Ingrid on his show. Peta should really find someone else to do their PR. Every time I see her she make me want to go out and eat some meat! She was on the Colbert Report and told this ridiculous story about being on a plane that had some problems in flight. She talked about what went through her mind. She actually said that she thought something along the lines of, I can't die, I'm an activist. I'm doing important things in this world. When she landed safely, did she decide to spend more time with loved ones? Learn to appreciate her life more? No! She told a friend that when she dies she wants them to have a BBQ with her as then main course. Then when people say the meat is good he should tell them it's human! Maybe she thought she was being funny but she came across as a total holier than thou bitch.

:(:(:(:(:(

Jeez, betw. that & his frequent appearances at the Playboy Mansion I think I'll have to continue to admire him from afar, even if he's sitting right next to me. :p OTOH, maybe I could talk some sense into him. ;)

Wow. She is one sick ticket. Sad thing is, she harms the credibility of sane organizations fighting for animal rights.

I am a strict vegetarian and big on animal rights yet have no respect for PETA. I dislike a lot of there ads. They are sexist and objectify women. I find them a pathetic and a mindless attempt at appearing hip much like their associations with celebs.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/petaa.cfm

So basically since some people abuse the breed the whole breed should be killed? How is that ethically treating an animal? Even if say all Pit Bulls disappeared from earth tomorrow the same thugs who abuse them would just find another strong breed of dog to abuse. I have had a female pit bull for 8 years now and you could not ask for a better temperament on a dog. I never really had a lot of respect for PETA but after I found out about their associations with putting down animals I do not know how people can support them.

still, regardless of what you think of PETA, protecting flies is perfectly in line with their mission and shouldn't be considered extreme for them.

OMG Gabrielle, you know what I just realized? If I'd given in to swearing off leather I could've maybe met my BF! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMIT! :D:D:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.