Hardcore Fitness Maniacs for Sept., 2019

Good morning,

I am still in DC. DD moved this weekend, Rest day for me today. I will double up tomorrow. If I have time later, maybe I will use her gym .

Have a great Monday.

Today I did Cathe Live Stacked Upper Body from 3/14/19 #240 and had a great workout. For such a short workout, this one really gets in there good.

Giant sets repeated once - so 2 times through each giant set.

Giant Set 1
Dips
- 48/32 reps
Lying Triceps Extensions: 10's - 7 reps (not sure why but this exercise hurts my elbows)
Pushups: 16 reps on toes/knees
Close Grip Bench Press: 17.5's/15's - 8/8 reps
Dumbbell Press: 17.5's/15's - 8 reps (1.5)
Close Grip to Flat Bench Press: 15's - 4 reps

Giant Set 2
One Arm Wide Row:
20# - 8 reps (palms back then front is one rep)
Pullovers: 30# - 10/8 reps
Hip Hinge/Back Fly: 12's - 7 reps (3 flies, stand, do it again)
Biceps Drop Curls: 15's/12's/10's - 8 reps each no rest
8 Point Drop Curls: 12's - 8 counts (love these!)
W Curls: 10's - 8 reps

Giant Set 3
Hip Huggers:
15's - 24/20 reps
Overhead Press: 12.5's - 8 reps (1.5's)
Front/Side Raise: 5's - 8 reps
Lateral U Raise: 8's - 8 reps
Shoulder Circles: 5's - 2 time at 8 reps each

Workout was 45 minutes total, burned 353 calories, HR was 148/195 and did 937 steps.

I also did about a 10 minute walk on my treadmill to get some steps in.

I am having hamstring issues again with my right leg. The IT band is hurting me as well. I've been doing a lot of walking due to a challenge we have at work and I'm really paying for it. I used my foam roller yesterday on it a bit and I can't believe how my muscles hurt while using that thing. I found some really bad pressure points. I'm wondering if I should go see a PT about this? It usually goes away when I foam roll it a couple times but then it always seems to come back. Very frustrating.

Have great workouts everyone. I'll try to be back later.

Roselyn - Great news on the house!! Here's to a smooth closing!

Diane - I hope you can get some relief from the pain soon! Seems like its been hanging on for a long time.

Jolie - Some weeks are just like that - you have to give yourself grace when you aren't feeling the best and be proud you got three in instead of zero!!

This morning was a Sydney Cummings - 50 minute Full body Hiit Strength. Loved this one as well. I had to start a new YT playlist because I want to come back to a couple of her more recent workouts!! This one also had Olympic lifting style moves. Those are so hard my heart-rate gets so high which is great!!

Today I did Cathe Live, Upper Body with Ball and had a great workout. I did not use the ball and my rep pattern was the same as last week, x 16, x 14, x 12 for every exercise. The AB workout is the longest one i have ever done in any of Cathe's workouts! I had to modify a lot since it uses the ball in some exercises but that is ok, i just did exercises that i like. Workout was one hour and i burned 459 calories. I wanted to run on the Elliptical this morning, but I step off a ladder yesterday funny, i missed the bottom step and hurt my low back :( I guess i can get adjusted if it doesn't feel good in a few days, I am leaving a week from Wed. for my vacation so i want to be feeling great.

Debbie, i like that upper body workout too! Wow, you are getting some great calorie burns with your workouts lately. Great job on the weights, and i am sorry you are suffering with pain as well. Boy, we are all going through it lately. My hip flexor on the left side is tight from kickboxing, it always happens to me even if i stretch. I feel like i always have something going on with my body to where i rarely feel fantastic.

Belinda, i hate moving, that was so nice of you to help! My mom always helps me too and she is 83!

Doreen, that looks like a great workout, i have never tried that instructor.

BBL to read other posts.

Have a nice day.

I found all of my Tony Horton One on One workouts and i am going to try them again, it has been years, but they are awesome. These are the workouts that i currently have found.

Killer ABS Volume 1 Disc 3
Disc 2 ARX2- I think this is ABS and Core
Bun Shaper Volume 1 Disc 9
Medicine Ball Core Cardio Volume 1 Disc 10
Cardio 5-6 Plus, Volume 1 disc 7
Back and Belly
100/30/20 This a great one
Diamond Delts- My all time favorite shoulder workout!!!!!!!!
30/ 15 Routine
Shoulders and ARMS MC2
Just Arms- Awesome!

i am going to start these with running on the elliptical since i cant get anyone to fix my TMill.

Also, has anyone tried PHA Training from Cathe Strong and Sweaty DVD?

I am not going to spend a lot of time on here. Terrible amount of pain with the mri's. I didn't make it through all of the images they were going to do for the shoulder which was the second set of mris. The guy went to get help because I stopped him at the end of the 4th image. I was shaking it hurt so bad. Tears were running out the corners of my eye. He said there was 5 more images to get still. A woman came in and went over what they had and said if I could do one more 6 minute image they should have enough. 6 minutes does not sound like much but when it feels like someone has a knife in your shoulder twisting it to see how long it will take for you to give up, it is a long time. I felt pretty good when I went in there as I had taken some Advil and iced before I left. The guy offered me Ibuprofen, but I told him I already had some. Besides that would not have helped at that point and wouldn't have taken affect till they were done. The neck was bad too as there was no head support and my head was lodged into the apparatus with foam shoved in the sides so I couldn't move. That was probably more than enough before I got to the shoulder.
This morning I did Kelly's Ripped and Ride September using the spin bike and modifying the lower body weight work. Like the hydrants and kicks because I did not want to be on my hands so I used the fit tower standing. She mixes in a few weight exercises using 15's but says you can use none if you want. I also did my pt stuff. I really needed something for my legs as they were getting achy from sitting.

Back for some personals.

Diane - I hope your MRI went well and I hope they can figure something out. Let us know how it went when you can sit at your computer for a few.

Jolie - I like Tony Horton, I have a couple of his series but can't remember the names. He does short and tough workouts. Great job with your workout today. That one is a fun one.

Roselyn - How did you like Buff Upper Body? Nice job on that, very impressive weights! Congrats on your house, hopefully all will go through fine. Did you guys buy another house yet? Are you moving far from where you are now?

Belinda - Have fun in DC!! Drive safe.

Doreen - Great workout! Those look fun, I might have to try one of them one of these day.

Roxie - Where are you? Hope you are ok.

Reactions: WD
Diane - I just read your post. OMG. I could feel your pain as I was reading what you wrote. What on earth could be doing that to you? I can't believe you can workout if the pain is that bad!! I think you need to lay off the workouts for a while, I think you need to give that total rest. Are the PT's that you see ok with you working out? I am so sorry you are going through this. I do really think you need to stop working out for a couple weeks. I know you don't want to hear that, but I think you need to because I think you are irritating it. It's hard not to involve that area, everything you do uses the shoulder and neck muscles. Just worried about you!!

Last edited:
Today I did a Cathe live that I haven't done yet called Jabs & Kicks #181. No abs in this one but lots of tough drills and then a little boxing on the bag at the end. This one was fun, but very high impact.

Workout was 54 minutes, burned 429 calories, went 5692 steps and HR was 143/171.

I am going in late because I have a follow up doctors appointment this morning. I think she's taking blood again due to my white and red cell counts being off during the summer. I hope they are ok now.

Diane - I hope you are ok today. I hope laying in the MRI didn't make it worse. There has to be a better way to do an MRI. I remember when I had one for my back, laying there was torture. At that time I couldn't lay on my back, I had to lay on my stomach over something like a ball or pillow. Laying prone like that about killed me so I know what you went through.

Have a great day everyone!!

Good morning,

Cathe original BC is done. If I feel up to this afternoon I probably play catch up and do RWH Legs this afternoon.

Jolie - that is so sweet of your mom helping you with your moves :) I hate moving too. We moved a lot over the years. Not looking forward to my move next year. I am already getting rid of stuff before the move, lol. DH and I always help our kids with their moves. DS will move before the end of this month, we will help him too. I am looking forward to our upcoming vacation. I need a vacation. I scheduled a massage for DD and I for Sunday. We both need one. My back is killing since yesterday.

Debbie - DH did all the driving. I had no plans on staying on Sunday, just couldn't leave my DD with all the mess alone. Except hanging up the pictures we 99% done. Everything is unpacked and put away. Love her new apartment. So modern with all the technology you can think off. The gym is amazing with all the technology you can think off. They have peloton bikes w/streaming, a yoga room with streaming. You name it :) I can't wait to use the gym. Who needs dvd's if you have a gym like that. I am so excited for DD.

Diane - I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I also wonder what caused it? Did you tear something in your shoulder? I hope you feel better soon.

Roselyn - great news on the house.

I am back again. Came back home last night. I was exhausted from the move.

This morning was a Yvette Cardio, Arms, Core from YT. Good medium impact cardio on the step and then some back and biceps with some core moves using a med ball. It was fun - her music is always so great - 80s style remixes!!

I am back: I also did Lift It HiiT It Legs. I am back on schedule. I only like the upper body workouts in RWH as far as lifting. Not a fan of all those plyo/high impact jumping. Of course, I did all the high impact on my rebounder. Now I need a nap :(

I had an incredible workout this morning, cardio was on tap so i chose to do Les Mills Extreme Cardio Fighter and half of the live workout. I loved both of them, i used 1 pound hand weights and my shoulders were burning by the end. One thing i love about Les Mills is you really get to use power in the kicks and punches, unlike other instructors who kind of do a powder puff version of martial arts. These workouts are true martial arts and since i have a back round in this, i love it. When you are done you feel like such a bad ass!!!! :) Workout was 1 hour 26 minutes and i burned 748 calories. Then i had a nice stretch and now i have burned 819 calories. Average heart rate was 135 and max was 178.

I want to buy 1.5 weighted gloves for kickboxing because 2 pounds it too heavy when you have speed bag moves and over head moves. My 1 pound gloves, i don't even know i have them on sometimes.

Debbie, great job on the Jabs and Abs this morning. I have done that workout, it is a little too high impact for me too. Well done, and nice calorie burn. Do you have Les Mills Combat DVD set? I know you have probably done some of their workouts over the years, they are really fun. I remember Tony Horton and P90X, i am not sure if i still have that workout. I did like the lifting segments, they are slow and you can really lift heavy. I am going to look for mine today.

Diane Sue, i feel so bad for you. I would stop working out except for maybe walking and see if that helps. I tell you what, when i hurt my back, that was the worst pain i have ever been in besides labor pains. I feel for you. I took a prescription drug that really helped me, maybe you should get something like that from your doctor till it settles down. I am praying for you and a quick recovery.

Belinda, great job on the workouts! Do you have Tony Hortons P90X? I am going to look for mine, those were some good workouts as i recall. I think after my vacation i am going back to the oldies but goodies!!!

Roselyn, fantastic news about your house. Where are you moving to? Are you downsizing?

Doreen, i love that Yvette workout! I modify some of the higher impact moves but other than that i like it and get a great calorie burn.

Everyone needs to pray for Diane Sue, that the doctors find out what the issue is and give her some relief.

Have a nice day.

Jolie - great job on your kb workout. Yes, I have the Combat and Tony H. workouts. I haven't done P90X in years. I have all his workouts. Go figure! When do you go on vacation? I will be gone the end of this month for 2 weeks. When I get back maybe I join you and do those oldies.

Belinda - Original Bootcamp? OMG, I remember loving that workout so much!! And great job with your leg workout as well!! Dang girl! I hope you had fun with them, sounds like you did. So happy to hear your DD has such a cool place to live, that is awesome!!

Jolie - Can you believe I have never done a Les Mills workout. Do they still sell the combat DVD? Great job with your workout, you kicked ass today!

Doreen - Great job with your workout, you are also kicking some ass lately.

Diane - Hope you are ok. I am praying for you.

Roxie - Where are you girl? We miss you.

DOZ - You too, we miss you. Where are you?

Diane I feel so bad for you sending prayers

I loved original bootcamp it is actually on y list to do soon

today I did lower body circuit from ripped with hiit

Good morning,

Rockout Knockout is done.

Debbie - yes, the original Bootcamp :) I love that one too. I need to go through my huge dvd collection. DD place is awesome. I wouldn't mind moving in, lol. Les Mill Combat dvd's are out of print. They parted with BB a few years ago. If you find a set the price is very high.Good job yesterday.

Roselyn - I love the original bootcamp too. Have fun this week. Great job on your lower body circuit.

Roxie - where are you?

Diane - sending more prayers

I did Sydney Cummings 60 minute Glute and cardio today. I used my barbell for the first several circuits. She did lots of glute bridges in this workout so that's a keeper. Cathe rarely does glute bridges even though those and hip thrusts are supposed to be good on the knees and tough on the glutes. The cardio wasn't that interesting but if I really wanted to I would sub out my own cardio moves but today I didn't care so I just did the high knees stuff she was doing.

Diane - I was also thinking about you this morning - Praying you find some answers and wondering if some time off or just walking might be helpful. I really do hope they can find some answers soon though!!

Today is a rest day in terms of weights or cardio, instead i went for a 3 mile walk outside, it is absolutely beautiful outside and i wanted to take it in! I did not wear my Fitbit, i want a break from it and to just enjoy my walk. I heard from my son yesterday in college, Lake Tahoe got a lot of snow yesterday, already! All of us skiers and snowboarders are fired up for an early season! Is only September and the Sierra Nevada mountains are white! What does that tell us about the upcoming winter?

Debbie and Belinda, I liked the original Bootcamp too! We should all decide to do it on the same day, and post our thoughts about it. I wonder if we all feel the same about the workout since it has been years since we did the workout. I think we should break out some oldies once a week and do them together. I would like to see the calorie burn on the older workouts vs the new workouts. I didn't have a calorie counter back then so i don't know what the calorie burns were when doing the workouts year ago.

Doreen, great glute workout today. I know, no one does glute bridges in their workouts, i wonder why?

Diane Sue, i am praying for you!

Roselyn, great job on getting the workouts done and attending school and selling your house!

It is Fall like outside today, it is my favorite season of the year! Have a nice day.

Today I did Strong Upper Body w/Core #25 from 10/23/14, had an excellent workout. I like this one, it is tough. She moves very fast and everything burns by the time you're done. My biceps were fried.

3 sets each round with 12 reps

BACK
One Arm Row:
25#
Pullover: 25#
(Superset)

SHOULDERS
Standing Overhead Press:
15's
Rear Flies: 12's
Front Raise: 15#
Lateral Raise: 8's
(Giant Set) - KILLER

CHEST
Chest Flies:
20's
Close Grip Bench Press: 15's
Pushups: 12 reps just single count
(Giant Set)

TRICEPS
Standing Overhead Extension:
20#
Lying Extensions: 10's
Dips: 32 reps fast
(Giant Set)

BICEPS
Standing Dumbbell Curl:
15's
W Curl: 12's (I did Hammer Curls, I hate "w's"
Crazy 8: 10's
(Giant Set)

CORE
Used 8# dumbbell for entire thing, this was an excellent core workout. Started with standing exercises then ended up on the floor for the rest. Awesome!!

Workout was 58 minutes, burned 492 calories. HR was 154/192. Did 1593 steps.

Have great workouts everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.