Hardcore Fitness Maniacs for February 2021

bayerngirl

Cathlete
Good morning,

I don't see us started off this month.

I did CL # 194 Vertical Loading plus SBF.

I will be back later to catch up on personals.

Reactions: WD
I forgot it was a new month, here's my post from earlier today:

This morning I walked on my treadmill and worked up a pretty good sweat. Walked on only a 3% incline but it was fine for today. I am keeping a diary of how I'm feeling each day and what I'm doing so I can see if there is a pattern that is causing these issues. However, I will not be lifting for a while so we'll see what happens. Today I'm not bad but I have a couple knots I tried to work out after I walked using my Body Buddy.

Workout was 41 minutes, burned 232 calories, went 1.88 miles (TM showed 2.14 so why so different?) did 4583 steps and HR was108/128.

Jolie - What Diane said. Several years back I had this exact issue but on my right side. It was so bad that at one point I was wearing a sling to take pressure off my shoulder blade that used muscles to hold up my arm. That is how bad it got back then. The cause: a massage therapist. They did exactly what you said, really worked on the knot and by the next day I could hardly move my arm. That lasted for several weeks if not months, it was horrible. I remember my DH and I went on vacation, I think we went to Mackinac Island, and I was wearing my sling. Eventually, the pain went away and everything went back to normal, but it took a LONG time. This is why I'm not all gong ho on getting a massage. The Body Buddy scares me enough, I'm so afraid that after I use it I won't be able to move the next day. Thankfully that hasn't happened. So now you know my hesitation in doing this. It scares me. Plus it would cost an arm and a leg, especially if they came to my house which I doubt we have anything like that here. And like Diane said, she did all that and is still having issues. I really do appreciate your thoughts on this, though, and if you have any other ideas, please share them. I just wanted to tell you the experience I had with a massage therapist, it ranks right up there with my experience with a chiropractor! :oops: I will never go to one of those again either. Great job on your workout!!!

Diane - Same thing happens to me when I look down to read. Now I place my Nook on a lap desk when I'm sitting in my chair and read with my head directly up, it has helped a great deal. Let's hope we both recover soon, I'm really sick of dealing with it. So weird how our experiences are so similar.

Have great workouts everyone!!

Today I walked on my TM, 40 minutes uphill and burned 386 calories. I am running late to get my car serviced so no time to respond to your posts. Have a wonderful day.

I am slow getting here tonight. This morning I did Cathe Live TIme to Hiit it Low Impact 37 minutes, heart rate 106/127, 149 calories, 3,420 steps. My grandson came late so we had to skip zoom so I had to do his lessons all on my own with him. He read while I finished that one and then afterward I went back and did Cathe Live Hiit 40/20 Low Impact hoping for better readings. I only did 25 minutes because that is all I had time for and to leave a few minutes for stretching. I burned 109 calories with this one and heart rate was 115/ 141, 2,275 steps. I finished off with Perfect 30 mobility basics timesaver strength stretch, 10 minutes, 11 calories, heart rate 89/98, 18 steps. Total time spent was 72 minutes, 269 calories, 5,713 steps.
I loosened my Fitbit a bit on the second workout and it did jump up in heart rate, but apparently it didn't stay up enough. I did not do all of the squat thrusts and moves on my arms, but did the high knees tap feet standing and that type of stuff. My neck and upper back hurt on one side this morning again.
I really want to try Kelly's new ladder weight workout. She does 14 moves with no breaks up the ladder and then reverses and goes back down the ladder and then back up one more time.

Belinda, thanks for getting us started for this month. Nice work this morning.

Debbie, I have had bad experiences like that too and it really does make me shy away from letting someone work on me. I had a massage once on vacation and they pulled on my toes. I could barely walk the rest of vacation and could not jump and was slow getting back to normal workouts. Just the mri was enough to make me afraid of more tests with my neck and shoulder. Being locked into a hard device like that hurt so bad and it seemed forever. I thought I was going to pass out or vomit in their machine. I have had mri 's before, but I was in pain already and that was just too much and I was not supposed to move. That was after the first month of PT. I hope we figure out something. I started a notebook when I was doing PT on how I felt each day and what I did. I never pinpointed anything other than knowing that when it was manipulated a lot by PT that I hurt so much I started taking Advil before I went knowing it was going to be inflamed and hurt. I try to let them know this. They backed off a little. Then wanted me to work with tubing and you know how that can cause pain. It really is upsetting when we want to keep up our muscle and look in great shape and then the work causes pain. I have a stand I use sitting at the counter or in a chair that has my laptop, tablet, or reading material where my head is up straight. I explained to my arthritis doctor that that is the way I can keep the pain down. My head has to be up straight and my shoulders down and back. I hope you find some things as you take the notes. All workouts are written in my agenda book. Sometimes I will make a not of something specific.

Jolie, nice work on the treadmill walk. I hope car service was not a long wait. I know sometimes it takes a long time if I go to the car dealership, even with an appointment. I do appreciate your ideas on what works for you with pain. I bought some Primal Kitchen alfredo sauce that is made from cashews(no dairy) and has avocado oil in it. I wanted to try some today and did not have zucchini to make noodles or squash so I stir fried asparagus and mushrooms and added a piece of already cooked sockeye salmon from yesterday and quinoa, then put in 1/4 cup of the sauce. It was really good. I will try something with chicken next time. I keep trying to go back to eating more vegetables and lean meat sources instead of living on almond butter and protein powder.

Roselyn, nice work today with Heather Robertson You tube.

Workout ADD again this morning. I started with Sydney Cummings new Feb workout series - didn't like a move in the first circuit and switched to Penny Barnshaw's and liked that workout much better.

I walked again on my treadmill for about 40 minutes. I think once this pain subsides, which it is getting a bit better, I will start doing light yoga and stretching workouts like Jolie suggested. I do remember doing yoga back when I was hurt and it did help. I just need to be careful as to what pose might irritate my upper back and shoulder area.

Diane - Who does the Perfect 30 Mobility stretch workout? Is it a good one? Worth me buying? It sounds interesting just because of the name. I think I could lay down right now for an MRI, but when the pain is bad it is very hard to lay on my back. All I know is I'm TIRED of dealing with this. I bet it's been a year now, just like my stupid hamstring. At least that healed, why won't this?

Belinda - The Vertical Loading workouts are fun, hope you enjoyed it!! Hope you have a great workout today!

Jolie - Good job on your treadmill walk yesterday. I'm getting bored with it already, good thing I have a good book to read while I'm walking!!

Roselyn - Great job with your workout!!

Doreen - Good job with your workout too!! Nice!

Have a great day everyone!

Debbie- so sorry this continues to be a pain (literally and figuratively!) for you! Hope you can find some answers soon!

This morning I did a GHUTV workout "Solid Strength" - I liked it. Some of the combos have the age old problem - I can lift heavier for lower body but when you throw in an upper body component then I have to lower the weight and don't get as much lower body work in. But the instructor had some great flow moves in this one that I liked the sequence.

Good morning. I hate to say this but today I am taking a rest day. First of all, I did not sleep well last night, my hot flashes are getting bad again and I toss and turn all night long. Second, I just cant motivate myself to do anything except I went for a long walk with my dog. What is wrong with me? I ordered some caramel flavored protein last night to put in my morning coffee, I think I am not eating enough protein while on my diet and that is making me feel tired with low energy. I just feel burned out lately even though I am liking my new workouts. I do tend to feel like this as winter goes on if it is not sunny out, which it has not been lately where I live. I am going to move my TM into my living room so I can workout in a warmer environment, I know this is part of the problem. My gym has little natural light and it is cold and I cant seem to get it going in there, it depresses me. I moved my DB's into my family room and I am doing my lifting workouts in there and it is much better for me. Until it warms up and I can lift my garage door, I think this will have to be the solution.

Debbie, I bet you are getting bored, I probably would too after a couple of weeks, though, cardio really seems to make me happy lately. I am going back to running once it warms up again, I really enjoyed it. Can you run anymore or are you afraid to that your hamstring will flair up again? I cant read when I walk, I work way too hard and could never focus on the book. I could do a audio book, that would make the time go by faster. :) I was thinking last night how I used to be into having such a muscular body and now I don't even care about it, I just want to be lean with some muscle definition. Wow, how I have changed in the last 5 years. I think the injuries are what have made me make the change. Back in the day it was un heard of me taking a rest day that wasn't scheduled, and now I dont even care!!!

Doreen, I have the same issue with some workouts lately. Great job getting it done today.

Belinda, Vertical Loading is one of my favorite workouts.

Diane Sue, do you supplement protein? I used to take it all of the time and then I just stopped taking it. I do see a difference in muscle mass because I know I do not eat enough protein at all. I hope your distance learning goes well today.

Roselyn, I hope you have a great workout today.

BBL to read your posts, I am off to get my dog groomed.

Hi everyone,

Today I did SBF D23 Feel Good Arms + Cardio plus Plank Target. I am tired today. I was going to do a CL workout, not feeling it today. Maybe I will try to do a CL after lunch? We got hammered with a lot of snow. And we are getting more snow. We got 12 inches and 34 outside with lots of wind. Can't go for a walk either.

Debbie - I am so sorry you are still dealing with so much pain. I hope you find out what's causing it soon. I am really sorry. Yes, I loved Vertical loading.

Jolie - I own the CL Vertical loading. You recommended this one and other to me when I went to Hawaii. It was the first time I think I did that one. Really liked it. Hope by moving your stuff in the living room will help to get you moving. I would love to go for a walk, we are snowed in :(

Roselyn - great job with Heather Robertson workout yesterday.

Doreen - great job with your workout today.

BBL!

I had a busy day again as we had two house lookers today along with everything else. I did Coffey Fit Raw new Ladder workout 54 minutes, 119 calories, heart rate 94/128, 1,478 steps. I also did Cathe Fit Split Low Impact Cardio premix 28 minutes, heart rate 103/136, 102 calories, 2,086 steps. I wanted some stretching so did Perfect 30 Flow mix of both 35 minutes, heart rate 85/105, 41 calories, 162 steps. Total time spent was 1 hour 53 minutes, 262 calories :rolleyes: , 3,726 steps.

Coffey Fit Raw Ladders 52 minutes
14 functional moves up the ladder, then back down the ladder, (you can stop here) or go back up the ladder Kelly uses 15# dbs and 8# dbs , 45 seconds each move
warm up 4:27 minutes
1. squats 15# dbs
2. no weight genie squats with a twist
3. plank/ renegade row/ lunge 15# dbs
4. bentover run row stand repeat....8# dbs
5. double arm supination curl 15# dbs
6.upper cuts 8# dbs
7. lateral/front raise 8# dbs
8. alternating upright row 15# dbs
9. alternating reverse lunges 15# dbs
10. front lunge/reach no weight
floor
11. skull crusher to sit up 8# dbs
12.full crunch/ crunch with reverse crunch
13. knee push ups
15. plank/ up/down
back down the ladder starting with plank/up/down then back up the ladder again

Debbie, the Perfect 30 flow workouts are good and I really like the mobility one. This dvd is from Cathe's Perfect 30 set which the workouts are around 30 minutes or a bit more each or their are premixes. The only one I tend to avoid is the high impact hiit as it has a lot of burpee and squat thrust variations along with all of the jumping. There are moves from both Perfect 30 Flow workouts that I particularly like though. I kind of picked from the chapter menus today starting with the strength and flexability one that was the stretch premix and then pulling other moves from mobility basics. There are a lot of premixes too. Some of the premixes are kind of choppy from one move to the next. Have you looked at the moves on the workout manager. I think Mobility is the most relaxing of the two workouts. Both have more movement through them instead of long holds in a stretch. I do not use the core bonus that is added to these much as it stresses my neck too much holding it up without anything to help brace it. Sleeping on my back helps my neck most of the time, but shoulders and upper back are hard to find a good position. If I put too much pressure on the side of my shoulder it starts really hurting. I try putting my roll and go pillow under my torso when on my side to raise my body up a bit to help alleviate some of the pressure on the shoulder.

Doreen, nice work today. I cringed when I saw the instructor on the start of of her video doing jumping jacks with dumbbells. I am guessing they are light, but they do not look that light.

Jolie, I get that way. It seems like the walk with your dog would help, but maybe you do need more protein or something that your new diet may be missing? I ordered some of those bottles of Premier protein drink from Amazon in cinnamon and use a couple of tablespoons in my coffee lately in place of creamer. I don't like sweet, but a little flavor and that works well. I discovered doing that when I had purchased a couple of bottles of caramel and just did not want to drink a whole bottle. My complaint with it though is they use sucralose and carageenan(sp) in it. I used to work out 2 and a half hours or more a day and lifted heavy all of the time. Injuries and life have altered those desires. I just want to stay in good shape and health. No pain though. I get a little more sleep on weekends, but as the weeks progress I get more tired, crabby , and depressed because my sleep drops to 5 hours. I probably supplement my protein too much. But, I check for ones without a bunch of cholesterol. I was buying the Isopure Keto one which theirs has some extra zinc in them. The last two time I purchased one that is Whole Foods, but does not have cholesterol and a bunch of fat, grass fed and sweetened with stevia. It tastes pretty good and is economical. They carry another one that has a lot of cholesterol in it, so I have to check every time to see which I am ordering. I have been going through a lot for me and also I make Kelly Coffey's Protein balls with peanut butter for my granddaughter and I share some. I keep them in the refrigerator and she eats most of them. There is some steel cut oats in them that helps give them a bit of crunch. Kelly uses Agave, but I use a little organic local honey.

Belinda, nice work today. Sorry weather is keeping you in. I know how you like to get out for your walks. I kind of had my workout planned today unless I was in a lot of pain, I knew what I wanted to do. I am not sure tomorrow. It will be cardio though.

Roselyn, good work on getting leg day in.

This morning I did a walk/jog on my treadmill, it felt really weird to jog again. I did it a couple times for a couple minutes to get my HR up. I miss running. I wonder if I should try doing that again? I'm afraid I'll mess up my hamstring again.

Workout (if you call it that) was 25 minutes, burned 159 calories, went 1.37 miles, did 3101 steps and HR was116/165.

I also did Karen Voights Yoga Stretch and I cannot deny that these stretching workouts do make me feel so much better. I seriously need to start incorporating a stretch/yoga day when I get back into my workouts but my thoughts always go to "what's the point if I only do it one day a week?" Usually you're supposed to do yoga at least 3 times a week. Maybe I just need to change my entire outlook on working out. And not as "working out" but as staying flexible, healthy and lean. Like Jolie said, I'm no longer wanting all that muscle mass, although some muscle tone is a must. I just get bored with yoga, but maybe I need to change my way of thinking as well.

Doreen - Thanks. It is feeling better today so I will try to be good and continue to repair instead of tear down. We'll see how it goes. Great job with your workout yesterday, I have the same issue with compound moves.

Jolie - Sorry about your hot flashes and not sleeping well. My hot flashes have subsided again, I only have like 3 or 4 a day now, but I know eventually they will come back in full force. I'm bored walking and I don't consider it cardio. The way you walk would be cardio. I'm just walking at a 3.2 pace with a 3 or 4% incline. Today I did jog a bit and that took me into cardio mode for a while, but I've just been trying to take it really easy. Hope you get your groove back!!

Belinda - Thanks, I appreciate that. This has been such a long journey (for Diane too) and it just gets to a point where you don't even know what to do anymore. I'm sure you feel the same way with your issues. I guess we just keep plugging along.

Roselyn - Good job with your leg workout!

Diane - I might get that mobility workout, sounds good. I feel so good right now after doing Karen's yoga stretch. That workout is like a miracle for me but I get bored doing the same stretch workout over and over again. Ladder sounds interesting, I'll have to watch that. Of course I won't be doing it for a while. Sigh... So tired of this. Great job with your workouts yesterday! Sorry your days are so busy all the time.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Good morning,

I just did yoga with Morning Yoga Movement D2 w/Kassandra on YT. DD and I am doing the 30 day challenge. I need more stretching. So far, I like it. Short and sweet. I also did SBF D24 Tights and Booty. I will try to get a CL workout in later this afternoon. ChuChu kept us up all night long. He has diarrhea, been cleaning up after him since midnight. Had to order a new carpet cleaner mine broke last night. I am tired.

I will be back to catch up on personals.

Today I did Cathe Live Advanced Step, 48 minutes, 226 calories, heart rate 118/161, 4,746 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Super Sculpt premix step and jumps stopping at 20 minutes where the second set of jumps begins, 87 calories, heart rate 111/157, 1,909 steps. I finished off with Perfect 30 Flow Strength and Flexibility premix stretch, 20 minutes, 25 calorieis, heart rate 84/103, 100 steps.
Total time was 88 minutes, calories burned 338, 6,755 steps.
I will be back in a bit.

My husband moved my TM into my dining room right next to the sliding glass doors where the morning sun shines in and it is awesome!!! I could not motivate myself in the cold garage with lights instead of natural lighting. I started today with a 40 minute walk uphill, 6.5 incline, 3.2 pace, traveled 2.1 miles and burned 401 calories. Next I did Caroline Girvan's 20 minute Shoulder Supersets and boy was this an great workout. 30 seconds on each exercise and then 30 seconds off. She uses 17's for this workout LOL, I used way less, but I could have gone heavier in the alternating lateral raises. Total workout time was 70 minutes, I paused a lot to write the workout down for next time. I burned a total of 602 calories. Heart rate was 126/172.

Shoulder Press seated- 15's,x 15's
Super Set with Lateral Raises Alternating Arms- 8's, x 8's

Seated Arnold Press- 12's x 12's
Lateral Raise Alt.- 8's x 8's

Front press 1 DB- 15#, x 15#
Lateral Raise 2 arms- 8's x 8's

Lateral Raise Alt- 8's x 8's
2 Arm Lateral Raise- 8's x 8's

Upright Rows, 1 count up, pause, 3 counts down- 12's
Alt Lateral Raises- 8's

Front Raise Alternating- 8's x 8's
Lateral Raise Alternating -- 8's x 8's

1 Arm Horzt. Row- 15#
Lateral Raise Alt.- 8's

1 Arm Horzt.- Row other arm- 15#
Lateral Raise Alt.- 8's

Seated Overhead Press Burnout ( I add this exercise ) 15's 30 seconds

Core was a plank challenge but I did ABS 3 exercises Awesome!!! I seriously love these workouts, short and to the point.

Debbie, I am so happy that you got to jog a little today. Way to go on the stretch too. Let's just have fun and try not to hurt ourselves!!! :)

Diane, I am so glad you got in a great workout today. I hate showing my house, what a pain in the butt, having to clean up all of the time. I never want to sell a house again! I am not sleeping well either and boy does it have an effect on my energy and mood. I had my protein coffee today, I havent gotten the flavored protein yet so I put my unflavored powdered whey protein in instead and it was fine.

Belinda, nice stretching workout this morning and enjoy your afternoon workout. Is it still snowing?

Roselyn, way to go on the leg workout! I hate working legs that is why I walk so much on the TM :)

Make it a wonderful day!

This morning I walked on my treadmill for about 25 minutes and then I did Jessica Smith's Neck & Shoulder Flow which is 20 minutes. I like this stretch workout but she needs to hold some of the poses longer. I especially like doing modified down dog on a chair as it really seems to stretch my shoulders better.

I have minimal pain this morning except for my left tricep. I've had a nagging pain there for some time. After doing some research, it seems I have Triceps Tendonitis and it is due to over-stretching the tricep muscle. I've watched some videos and will do some of the things they say to do. This problem also inflames the elbow so I can't help but wonder if it is all tied in. It also can pull the shoulder blade to an angle which is causing me the knots and pain. Interesting. Could this have been the problem the whole time? I'm not sure, but I will be focusing on this muscle for a while and see if it all gets better. Strange...

Diane - Are you having tricep pain through all of this? If so, check out this video:
- maybe it will help us? It's really good information. My tricep and elbow have been extremely painful these last couple months so I'm wondering if the cause is something totally different than just neck and shoulders?

Jolie - I'm glad your equipment is getting moved into the house, it is hard to workout when everything is freezing cold. I was worried about that when you told us your workout room was in the garage. Great workout yesterday, the shoulder one looks excellent. If I'm ever able to lift again, I will try them.

Roselyn - Thanks! It is getting better, I'm hoping for a total recovery one of these days. LOL!!

Belinda - Nice job with your workout yesterday, I wrote that yoga one down so I can try it. Hope you have a great workout today!

Doreen - Sorry you aren't sleeping well. I heard from my friend who sells Color Street that you've been buying off of her. Thank you for that!! I just placed an order last night. Love those things!!

Have a great day everyone!!

This morning I started a Kickbox and kettlebell that Amy Bento Ross posted to her youtube - but I wasn't feeling it so switched over to this one which was more of what I wanted for my workout this morning:

Debbie - yes- thanks for the recommendation! I ordered a set of the valentine strips and am loving my Valentine day look! I might have a new problem!!!

Jolie- I would think a treadmill next to a window would be so much better too!! Mine is in the corner and I don't use it as much as I should.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.