Gym vs Home Workouts

Cbelle

Cathlete
I have been working out at home, exclusively with Cathe, for the past 2 yrs. I do both weights and cardio. I have all of the various Cathe weight workouts. It occured to me the other day that due to the nature of an athome gym (free weights) there are only so many exercises a person can do. In other words, you can't shake up your routine much. For example, no matter which Cathe video you do for legs say, you're basically doing the exact same exercises (lunges, squats etc.). Would it be beneficial to shake up your routine a bit by going into the gym and using some of the equipment to hit your muscles differently? Again with the legs as an example, you could do the leg press, leg curl, leg extension etc. I hesitate to ask this because I am still sooo burnt out on the gym and really enjoy my at home workouts. This morning I tested this theory and did legs at the gym and while it was a good workout, I think Leaner Legs kills me more. I have been stuck on the worst plateau known to man for 2 yrs now and am getting desperate. I have tried so many different things (as you probably know from past posts) and the only thing that has helped me drop a FEW pounds (like no more than 5) was to be drastic in my calories. I can't live like that. I would like a routine I can do for the rest of my life, an eating plan I can stick with forever, AND lose those last 10-15 lbs of body fat. I suppose if I were willing to do something drastic like do cardio for 2 hrs every day or whatever that might work but I know that as soon as I went back to "normal" I'd gain again. Curious to hear the "educated crowd" discuss the gym vs. home workout theory.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-02 AT 03:22PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-02 AT 02:55 PM (Est)[/font]

In my opinion, you achieve more challenging workouts using the strength training equipment in gyms. That's where I have really achieved premium strength gains. Strength training equipment in gyms provides one with the ability to safely lift heavier weights. I use gym equipment primarily for my back, shoulders, chest, and legs.

For me, I believe gym equipment (machines) has an advantage over home equipment because (1) I don't need a spotter using the equipment, (2) my form is better because I'm in an upright position as opposed to an incline one, and (3) I can lift heavier weights for longer periods of time. As it relates to the legs, I find that using the gym equipment (leg curl, leg press, leg extension) is less stressful on my knees than doing squats and lunges. Overall, I think strength training using gym equipment is superior to what you can typically do at home. That's just my opinion.

Crystal

Ok, this is hard for me because I adore Cathe. That being said, I do weights at the gym these days. I worked out a home with Cathe for 3 years; now I go to the gym. BUT, I work out with my boyfriend, so I have a spotter, which allows me to push to the last possible rep, and I train heavy. I lift as much as I can possibly lift, aiming for 6-8 reps. And as far as legs go, did you lift as much as possible? Cathe kills us a lot of the time because of the repititions. I prefer to lift heavy because I want to get stronger, so I don't want to do too many reps. But recently on the leg press machine, I kept adding weight even though the weight I was already doing was challenging. I was surprised to find that I can do a lot more weight than I thought! It's in those instances where I am in pain trying to push through that last rep that I get such a good workout. My boyfriend trains hard like that and he looks great. But for me I have always had trouble really pushing to the absolute limit, even though I think that is the key.
Back to the original question, I too was getting worried that I wasn't varying my weight workout enough, and thus the gym can be better.
Man, did I ramble or what? :)
Cari

What a timely thread! I was thinking this exact thing last night! I don't have the time to join a gym right now, but I plan on doing it in the near future because I really want to work my legs more and lunges, squats, and floor work just aren't cutting it. All I seem to accomplish after doing endless lunges with a loaded barbell are achy knees. I remember when I used to go to the gym how rock hard my things and hamstrings were from the leg press and leg curl machines. I also want to work my back more and I don't feel much when I do back work with heavy dumbells. Even if I just go one day a week, which is probably all I'll have time for with 2 small kids at home, I'll at least feel I'm making strides with my legs--and it will be a nice compliment to my video workouts.

Thanks for the replies. I was surprised that it was pretty one sided towards the gym. I'm thinking I'll do upper and lower body at home on Mon and Tues and on Thurs and Fri do upper and lower at the gym. THus getting the benefits of both. Looking forward to more opinions on this subject!

I've been thinking the same thing, wondering if I should join the gym to use the machines. I don't have a spotter, so it would be impossible for me to do squats with anything heavier than 40-50 pounds (if that). Eventually don't you outgrow free weights?

It is amazing to find this particular subject coming up just when I joined a gym for the first time in my life.

I have been working out with Cathe for strength as well as cardio for over a year and a half now. The results have been terrific. No complaints.

However, I have reached a point that no matter what rotation I am on, no matter how much free weights I use, I feel that I have hit a plateau and can go no further on my own. Although I am well satisfied with how I look now, I have been wondering just how far I can really go. Besides that, I am getting a little bored and stir crazy just working out by myself each day. And, as much as I love step bench and kickbox tapes, I wanted to have a go at different cardio forms such as treadmill and elliptical machines.

The University of New Orleans is 8 blocks from my house and just last year built a beautiful new gym. I am on a one month trial membership but plan on paying for a year when the month is up.

I had three sessions with a personal trainer who helped me to establish a routine in which I can use the gym and continue my beloved Cathe routines. It goes like this:

Monday: gym - chest/back/partial shoulders, cardio
Tuesday: gym - legs
Wednesday: gym - partial shoulders, biceps, triceps, cardio
Thursday: cardio at home
Friday: Lean Legs or other Cathe leg workout
Saturday: Upper body (can be Pure Strength, CTX, etc. - whatever I have the time and strength for)
Sunday: rest or Pilates

On gym days for cardio I do treadmill or elliptical. I have taken some of the gym's classes but Cathe spoiled me and I find her tapes more challenging and fun. I do abs at home with Cathe 4 to 5 days per week as well. The above rotation works all body parts two times per week.

By the way, before the personal training I had to have a fitness evaluation so the trainer would have a starting point for me. Can I tell you that I blew off the charts on everything? It's true. The session lasted over an hour and covered the whole gamut - body fat percentage, flexibility, VO2 max, and strength (which consisted of ab crunches, pushups and grip). I was very proud of myself and the progress I made working out at home with Cathe.

I am enjoying the new challenges that gym machines present as well as being around other people who are working out. But I will never give up Cathe. I just want the best of both worlds.

Marlene

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-02 AT 01:22AM (Est)[/font][p]I think variety is the key. Each one has what the other one doesn't have. If we were all doing gym machines all the time, we'd outgrow that too IMO.

I have a hard time believing that people really *need* something that costs so much, i.e. gym equipment and all the maintenance on the machines... and yet... I'm a dental hygienist and I do know that people need other people to clean their teeth. Doing that on one's own, exclusively, will not work! So there, I refuted my own post.

It's very gratifying for us Catheites to hear that you blew off the charts on everything!! Thanks for sharing that.

I have been going to the club to lift heavy once a week with the machines myself so I have to admit it can be a good change. I find I like the mix of the dumb-bell bar-bell workout once a week and the machines once a week.

I did also get leg weights that go up to 20 lbs each so I can do leg extensions, curls, and a couple of floor exercises with those in addition to the barbell and dumbs this winter if I can't make the club some weeks.

Edith
;-)

Edith,

Could you share where you got the 20lb leg weights? Are they like ankle weights? I'm interested in them! Thanks!

Yes ankle weights, purchased at MC Sporting Goods in Michigan and they don't start out at 20lbs they are adjustable by the 1/2 pound bars that slide into pockets on the inside of the ankle weight. I think they are about $30 each but it's been like several years since I got them so maybe more now.

I think you do what works for you. For years, I used to be a gym rat. Then came children... seems like home workout is my best choice then. After finding Cathe, I do prefer home workout.

When I was a gym rat, I hated doing weight lifting by myself. I could not motivate myself to do it -- end up doing only cardio most of the times. I also found out free weight/machines are intimidating around 'muscular' men (I am very 'tiny'). I even tried personal trainer, but the ones I got were so bad -- they only write down the poundage I used, set the machines to the correct weight or hand me the dumbells... I can do those myself!

After doing MIS (my first Cathe strength), I realized that this is what I've been searching for. I probably will continue doing it at home. I might try to joint a gym when time and money permits at a later time, but at this point, I am happy with the status quo. For me, joining/trial period probably would just to re-affirm that gym workout is probably not the best for me...

Haslina

p/s
I KNOW nobody at the gym beats Cathe cardio! Cathe has brought my cardio to a new level.

With being a Mother of 4 kids, I have found it easier to work out at home consistently. But let me say that we own a complete Cybex machine that offers 27 exercises, and I rarely use it.

I much prefer Cathe's great instruction. I keep coming back to her time and time again. I have the option of the machines and I just don't prefer to use it.

Cathe is my personal trainer, and I mix up rotations for variety. Once in a great while I might add in a "firm" tape, this may be one week in a month or less.

Judy

Live by the golden rule: treat others as yourself :)

Hi, all!

Interesting, Judy, that you brought up HOME weight machines--I was going to ask about them. What are your opinions on how they compare to the ones at the gym? I heard the Cybex machines are nice!

If they are as effective as the machines in the gym (which I used for many years up until 8 months ago), then it would be worth it, finances permitting, to find one where you can make monthly payments on one versus payments for a gym membership. Do any of you think the home machines are as good as the gym models?

Just curious--I would consider investing if they were worth it, and use Cathe's weight workouts as well as the machines to mix it up.

Anyone have any experience with home machines? Were you happy with the results?

Thanks,
Denise :)

P.S. I do have a machine for leg extensions and leg curls that I can use heavy weights with, and I really like the results!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-02 AT 08:51AM (Est)[/font][p]Hello there CBell,

I think you should go on the treadmill in the gym. I have been working out with Cathe for a few months and don't go to the gym, but I have taken up running. I run outdoors.

I think running is the best for losing weight, especially if you do sprints, intervals and hills. I would like to do more running to lean out but I am finding quite painful and can only do about 3 a week.

Go try it. Better if you can run outdoors on different terrain.

I would like to add that I posted something similar on the Open Forum and my reason for not joining a gym is that I cannot afford it. I would liket to combine the two, but have to make do with Cathe. I don't feel like I am losing out at all because I keep the weights really challenging. For me personally, I have had more results doing home workouts

Yen

When I read this threads I got frustrated, because I was planning to do home workouts only. I want to increase my muscles size to the maximum (especially in lower body), and was thinking of investing in a squat rack in the future, to lift heavier than what Cathe lifts in the videos. Do you really think one needs to go to a gym to get maximum results for muscle size? Maribeth, if you are out there, please give your opinion on this one.

>When I read this threads I
>got frustrated, because I was
>planning to do home workouts
>only.

Hi there,
I wanted to say that I do home workouts exclusively and I'm getting wonderful results this way. I keep remembering what someone said on one of the forums: "The best workout is the one you'll actually do".

I'm sure that machines help you to isolate muscles so that you can lift heavier, etc., but I hate going to the gym and have wasted money on memberships that I don't use.

I continue to see improvements in my muscle strength, muscle size, and overall fitness. Free weights have their advantages.

Angelica

Thank you, Angelica. I have the option of joining a gym. The one that I'm thinking is inexpensive and includes childcare. I really enjoy exercising with videos, and have already bought some equipment, but to workout at home I really need to pay someone to take care of the babies. They sleep with me and if I wake up early, they wake up too. I've tried putting a fence so I can exercise while they play, but I still have to interrupt my workouts because they fight, or need to be changed, or cry. In the nights I finish too late and need extra time to take a bath.

I'm undecided between joining a gym or do home workouts. There are many pros for joining the gym and some cons for home workouts, but what is really keeping me from deciding to join a gym is that I already spent money in some videos and equipment and feel guilty if I don't use what I bought. Some of the money I spent was "my husband's money" (that's why).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.