Getting Our Licks In!

I am wearing my "Janie" earrings today and I got a compliment on them from one of my female colleagues. I'm going to send her the link to Janie's website. Started week 2 of Cathe's Sept rotation: it is Gym Style week, plus IMAX3, and B&G. This morning was GS Backs, Shoulders, and Biceps. I tried to lift heavy on just about everything and did pretty good. The only thing I went a little lighter on was the bicep reverse curl downs. My elbows tend to feel kinky when I do those, so I go a little lighter and really focus on getting the form correct. I find those to be a bit tricky.

Janie: I can understand why your dad doesnot like to be alone. Who does (all the time) really? It's suppose to be good for older folks to interact with others; keeps their minds working and stimulated. I hope the visit goes well. Going fishing with your dad sounds like a great idea. You might try to do that even if you and Joey don't have the beach place yet. I think doing stuff with our families as we get older is important. Memories are the best gifts, aren't they? Of course, I type this knowing that I just passed up going to a VT football game with sister. Bad me. However, I'm thinking that this year for Christmas, I might give the gift of a "sister" activity--like a trip to the salon together or going roller skating/iceskating. Renee and I do lots of things together but not so much with our older sister. We just don't have as much in common with her. So I'm toying with this idea. I have not run it by sister yet to see what she thinks but may not. I might just go for it.

~michelle

UGH:(:confused::mad:

I am sooooo sick!! It sucks! My week off of teaching and I was really looking forward to getting some good workouts in for myself!:mad: Plus I have a million things to do to get ready for the Twin Sale this Friday and I just want to lie on the coach and moan...

Michelle: Rest days, stretch days, garden days! How nice and then hitting it hard with this weeks line up of some of my favorite and first Cathe DVD"S! I love your sister outing gift idea! Go for it! Funny how people can be so different in families isn't it? I wonder if your other sister feels left out or envious of your relationship with Renee?

Janie: You are so lucky to still have your dad around! Mine passed when I was only 33 and a good friend of mine just flew to Florida to see her dad who is dying! I really miss my dad.:(

Did TBS with Joey today along with abs and stretches. Walked Rolly 30 min.

Michelle, Thank you for sending your colleague to my site! Great job on GS BS&B. I'm so proud of you. I think you are right about not waiting to take my Dad fishing. I'll do it when he is here, perhaps and most likely a few times. LOL He won't be around that much longer and I want to make his memories wonderful. I think you talked yourself into doing something with your sister. Good for you!

Laura, Oh no! I think I'll go get my flu shot ASAP. Yep. I'm going to take advantage of the time Dad and I will have together. Hope you feel better soon.

Janie

Nice walkabout with Ripken this morning. We did our "medium" walk so the pup was not as tired afterwards. He "hung out" with me all the way through IMAX3--even got some licks in during the short recoveries on a few intervals. Of course, when I was done with IMAX3, Ripken was ready for the super lickfest. I wonder if he knows which workouts are going to make me the most sweaty?

Laura: oh no! You are sick--did you catch something from the twins? This is such rotten luck. One of my colleagues came down with sinisitis last week and she was out all week. But like Janie, you have reminded me that DH and I need to get our flu shots sooner than later. Your point regarding my older sister is well taken; I am sure that our older sister feels left out but the nature of the sibling dynamic is set. For Renee and I to get along with our older sister on a regular basis essentially means that we would have to change our behavior in a dramatically bad way to "get along" with her. Doing so would also mean putting our relationships with our parents/friends/my husband and our employment at risk. THAT's not going to happen.

Janie: yeah, I think I'm going to try this "sister" outing thing for Christmas. I talked to Renee yesterday about which salon she uses and told her what I was thinking. She didn't have an opinion one way or the other. I'm glad you are going to take your dad fishing. It will be great to just while away the time on the beach/pier.

Laura--get some rest; hope you feel better sooner than later.
Top of the day to everyone,
Michelle

Peeked in today.

HA! And doing things like a VT football game would have made me a very happy sister. A stupid salon thing...I could take it of LEAVE it...really not my thing.

I'm busy at school and staying as active as my knee allows. I do some "easy" Cathe step DVD's and have done the first two weeks of mesocycle one but am in a cardio state of mind. Really do need to lift some weights though.

Hope Laura feels better soon.

You all take it easy, but play hard!

~Renee~

Walked Rolly for 30 min. Also did 30 min. of Latin dancing. Rolly's thing on his forehead is going away, so I canceled the Vet visit. Yea!

The owner of the little beach house we want to buy, agreed to pay for 1/2 of the bill to get things in working order. Yea! The realitor is making plans with Escrow and in about 2 maybe 2 and half weeks the little beach house will be ours. That's about the same time my Dad will be visiting. Yea! A fishing we will go, a fishing we will go,...

Michelle, Terrific walk with Ripken and also on IMAX3. I'm glad you are making plans with your other sister at Christmas time. I'll take my Dad to the little fishing village and fish on the pier. Sounds like a memorable time. We can eat a sandwich and just breeze the day away.

Renee, So nice to hear from you. Being active is great. Soon you'll be yourself again. Fantastic job on the first two weeks of meso 1. That will get you there very fast.

Janie

Yep still sick and so tired it is really surprising.... I have been getting up and getting the girls to school and then coming back and sleeping until 11 and then doing some work on the overwhelming pile of stuff for the twin sale, eating a little crawling back to bed until I have to get the girls, being like a zoombie through the afernoon/evening with their activities, homework, dinner bed and then back to bed!!!:eek::confused::(:mad:

Eliza is home sick with me today, but not nearly as sick as I am, and watching movies as I try to make progress through this ***stuff***Can't wait to be done with the illness and the twin sale!

Michelle: wow that is a strong statement about older sister! It makes me intrigued but I totally get it too, their is a black sheep in most families, and getting along with them isn't worth the toll it would take in the rest of your life. You can do what you can for them without crossing the line and hope they meet you 1/2 way....Also glad to know I am not the only one who takes longer recovery time in IMAX3 than Cathe & Crew!:eek:

Catchick: Welcome Back! So nice for you to pop in and enliven our dwindled check in group that your sister has so faithfully held up for us! Sounds like the recovery is doing great if you are managing step! My brother has been so disheartened and frustrated with his recovery. Any words of support for him?

Janie: doing a beach dance for you!! That is awesome that the sale is going to go through! Have you mentioned if you are going to sell your current place? I have been doing some Zumba on Tuesday with a friend of mine that got certified to build her confidence to teach, it is fun and works up a good sweat, but honestly I don't feel like I 'worked out' like with Cathe and it also seems to tweak my knee...

well if anyone else is lurking please pop in and let us know what you are up to..

Can I get in on the fun??

I've been a member of the forum for almost a year and kind of went MIA because I was busy with family, fighting, and just life and got back on yestetday and I'm hoping by joining a check in may keep me on the forum more often.

I got turned on to Cathe a few years ago by my trainer as a way to keep in shape in between fights, and they REALLY DO WORK!! About seven months ago I also started doing MMA in conjuntion with boxing and I just bought a few of Cathes MMA Videos today. Most of my workouts are gym workouts but I try to get in about two video workouts a week depending on time. Sometimes I can get more if I don't have anyfights.

Today was busy I got up thismorning and did Pyramid Lower Body, than it was off to the gym to train for my cage fight Friday.

Liz

LizBoxer--absolutely you can join our group. You are going to have to fill us in on how you got into boxing. It sounds like you box religiously and competitively. That's interesting. I enjoy Cathe's kickboxing but couldn't see myself actually boxing. My sister will definitely want to know more.

Sister: well maybe you can just be a good sport about the salong outing. Or we could do something else during the holiday--maybe iceskating or rollerskating. I haven't done either in forever.

Laura: ick and double ick. It sounds like you've got a major sickface going--and now one of the girls is sick. Dang--that is just rotten luck. I almost went into details on my older sister, but decided not to. Sometimes a person just has to accept that things are the way they are and are not going to change. Enough said on that topic. I'm interested if sister has anything to share wrt your brother's ACL recovery?????

Janie: sounds like very good news on your side of the continent. The next few weeks are going to go by so fast. Savor the build up to the closing date--it's half the fun of the adventure!

Ripken and I had a nice long walk this morning then I did GS Legs. The floorwork on GS Legs sure does get you in the glutes. But I guess that is the whole point. I think I'm going to need to invest in a mat because my hip bones were feeling exposed on the carpet this morning. We really need to replace the carpet upstairs. UGH--what a chore that will be. But I think we are going to have to seriously start thinking about it.

Tonight I have a work-related dinner at the Marine Corps Museum. The Commandant of the Marine Corps is our guest of honor. Not every day that you get to meet the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Plus I think we have about 10-12 additional Marine Corps General Officers attending the dinner, ranging in rank from Brigadier General (1-star) to Major General (2-stars) to Lieutenant General (3-stars). Kind of exciting.
~michelle

TBS For Joey and me today. It got to late to walk Rolly. Darn, time got away from me.

Laura, So sorry you are still so sick. Flu is just horrid, I know. Hang in there, hope you recover soon.:( We won't be selling this house. We will use the other house for Summer living. something I've dreamt about forever. It's finally coming true.:) Hmmmmm, if Zumba tweaks knee, then I'm not so sure about it.

Liz, Welcome aboard! What an interesting fighting career. I'm very intrigued to say the least. Looking forward to your stories. How often do you fight? Do you do this for a living? So interesting! Great job on PLB. Cage fight, will have to look that up. Are you in a cage? Please forgive my ignorance. I'll be cheering you on Friday. Hope everything goes well for you. Post and tell us about it please. Update: I took a look at cage fighting. My o My! There is kicking, boxing, wrestling and punching like I've never seen before. That is brutal! You must be in fantastic shape and health to be able to tolerate those punches and strength to hold down the other guy. Wow. I don't know what else to say. Wow!

Michelle, Great job on walking with Ripken and GS legs. Enjoy meeting the Commandant of the Marine Corps! WOW! You are so important, and to think I know you.:D

Take care and again, welcome aboard Liz,

Janie

Last edited:
Good Morning!! I normally get up around 4:00am and workout before my family gets going but I got up a bit early today. I'm going to go for a run in a bit and get set for another day.

Michelle: Are you in the USMC? If so THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! My dad was in the Corps. How did it go? Thank you for welcoming me to the Cathe family! I have been a been a mom and a housewife for years and I would exercise at home or at the Y and in 2003 a friend of mine suggested we take a boxing class that was being offered to women at a gym and it was a lot of fun and I felt so empowered! Finally in 2007 I decided I wanted to take it to the next level and get in the ring and do a real fight! What I LOVE about it is it allows me to become another woman. Like I was telling Janie, I have a fight on Friday and its going to be another day I'll get up do a home workout get my family going do some housework, train at the gym come home fix dinner my trainer he'll show up around 6pm kiss my family and they’ll wish me luck grab my gym bag, and about 90min / 2 hours later I'm a different woman. I'm All Biz Liz the MMA Fighter locked in a cage rolling around on the mat exchanging punches, the crowd is screaming my trainer yelling at me and it is an amazing rush!! I'll get out get looked over by the doctor, shower go home and I'm back to being Liz a wife, and mom. So its a lot of fun to go from being a mom / wife driving the minivan fixing dinner to boxer / mma fighter in the ring back to being wife / mom! I always get a of looks at the beauty supply place when I get my nail polish and I have a black eye!! Does your sister box?

Janie: I box about every six weeks it depends on if my trainer can get me on a fight card or if he wants me to fight a specific woman and can work something out. I started cage figting a few months ago so I try to get in the cage in between boxing. As for doing it for a living that is a tuff question. I'm a mom and a housewife first and I box for fun and exercise but I do get paid. Thanks for the complements! I have a new respect for it after being locked in the cage :)

I have to get ready for my run

Thanks for the nice welcome and complements.

Liz

Hi everyone. Today was a stretch day--yeah! My glutes are pretty sore from GS legs yesterday so I was happy for a long walk with Ripken and a good stretch with Cathe this morning.

The dinner last night was very nice. Janie--you are very kind, but I'm not importnat just one of many who do work with the Marine Corps. I was fortunate to be invited to the dinner. While it was exciting to be there with the Commandant, what I really enjoyed was the opportunity to talk to the young Marines who accompany him and to listen to their stories of why they joined the Marine Corps, why they have remained on active duty, and what their jobs are like working with the Commandant. Very impressive young men. Marines are a constant source of hope and inspiration to me.

Liz: I am not a Marine. I work for the Marine Corps' think tank (a not-for-profit research organization in Virginia) and do applied manpower policy analysis for the Corps. I have a great job because my work colleagues are incredibly smart, I learn something new just about every day, and I work with Marines which is a great honor. So--thank you to your father for his service. My profession is much more in support of the Corps and helping them to do the right thing in terms of managing and taking care of our Marines. They are a National Treasure. Today, a historic moment is taking place at 2:30 this afternoon, Sgt Dakato Meyer is receiving the Medal of Honor from the President for heroic actions in Afghanistan. He is the first living Marine to receive the Medal of Honor in 38 years. A great occcasion for the Marine and our Corps. Your boxing hobby sounds interesting--your family must think that you are supermom because it sure sounds like it to me. I will have to check out cage boxing. My sister liked doing the heavy bag workout that Cathe has on the MMA boxing dvd but I think she has not done that one since before she tore her ACL in the spring. She is in her 4th month of recovery from the ACL surgery and is slowing working "basic" step back into her weekly workouts. I think she is not ready for the heavy bag workout, but it was one of her favorites. Other than tthe Cathe MMA workouts, she doesn't box "as sport" like you do.

Janie: It's nice that you and Joey are working out together again and you and Rolly are getting your walks in. Are you going to try to get in some additional workouts--you really did great on that rotation that you put together last month. Or are you just so busy getting ready for the beachhouse? I would imagine that is going to eat up alot of your time.

Done with my lunch back--back to the paper I'm working on. Hope everyone has a great day.
Michelle

Hi,

Today was a bit busy since I last checked in. I got in a good 5mi run got home showered and than the family got going :) Kids are still aadjusting to being back in school so they were a bit slow this morning. Anyway I got the gym around 9:30 and it was mostly sparring and getting ready for the fight tomorrow night. My trainer say's that he's pleased with my progress and likes my chances in the fight. However, you never no because one move can put you into submission.

Michelle: Well, in my book anyone that helps out the USMC in any category deserves a pat on the back and THANK YOU!! So, thanks for the support and help you give them! The dinner sounds like and amazing and proud event to be at. How does one get a civilian job with the USMC? What part of VA are you in?

To be honest I try to keep my fighting life and family life separate. My family is proud and happy for me that I found something I like to do but they don't want me to get hurt. With that said I hardly have them come to a fight. Cage fighting is a mix of boxing, wrestling and martial arts. I would like to do MMA / Cage fighting for another year and boxing another two or three years. Anyway, THANK YOU for the nice words.

Off to bed soon.

Liz

Well Exciting new things and people on our thread! Yeah!

Still sick, still working on twin sale, blah blah blah, but I am getting better, it is almost hard to check in with no workouts to report and hearing about your great workouts!:mad: But I just said to my daughters that I have been so tired and wiped out by this flu it is going to be hard to get back into the swing of regular workouts, and I thought I should go check in just to keep it in my mental forefront! I am getting better and hope to be full steam ahead by Monday when I will be back to my regular teaching schedule!

Welcome Liz!!You sound like the coolest mom I have met in a long time!! I think what you are doing is really, really cool and I have secretly been wanting to try a boxing class or MMA class ever since Cathe put out her MMA tapes which I love! And I bet you do get funny looks at the beauty store all black and blue. I actually haven't seen any cage fighting either and will now have to go google it!Good luck tomorrow night at your fight! What time do you go to bed if you get up so early??

Michelle: lots of cool stuff going on for you at work! It must be nice to take time to honor the men and woman who give so much for our country. And not letting that distract you from your workouts deserves to be given credit as well! :D Wasn't Renee was doing Karate and competing when she hurt her knee, right? Doing some kind of jump kick right?

Janey: good job on TBS! There will be more walks to come! And your exciting Beach house is still going through?

well hopefully I will have some bad @ss workouts, exciting work news, or big life changes like buying a beach house to share sometime soon!!: or at least some workouts:eek:eek:

Walked Rolly for an hour. Yep, it was good, even brought water for us.

Liz, Fantastic job on your 5 mile run. I have a respect for anyone competing. It's tough out there. I love how you can be a mom and still enjoy the things you like.

Michelle, Fantastic job on stretching and the long walk with Ripken. OMG! How can you say you are not important. You must not of meant that. Without you (& many others), would be more difficult for the Marine Corps. I'm glad that this job inspires you, they inspire me as well. The beach house will eat up a lot of our time, but nothing is happening until we get it, then we'll work on it. I can still workout, mostly (weather permitting) can walk on the beach, otherwise we plan on bringing some TBS DVD and some weight, so we won't miss a beat.

Liz, Fantastic job on the sparing and training for the fight tomorrow night. I'll be sure to check in on your progress. Submission, do you mean when someone gets on top of you and start hitting your face? OOOOOOOU, that has got to hurt! Do what ever you have to do from getting into that mess, and concentrate only to get her down instead. Look at me, telling you what to do.:eek: You just go get em. Sweet dreams.

Laura, Because of you I decided to get my flu shot today. Whew! People are starting to get sick so early. Glad to hear you are getting better. Get your strength back first before you get back into the workouts. We have to wait for escrow, that's in about two weeks, and then it will be all ours. I can't wait! I bought King Size sheets today. The bed that is there is King. I've never had one so big. Just washed them and folded them. So exciting!

Take care,

Janie

Another early day another early run! However, at least its not as humid and hot out like it has been so it helps. I would like to do Cathe Travel fit when I'm done. I have my fight tonight and the run helps build the stamina and Travel Fit would be a good and somewhat easy video to do to build some muscle strength. A bit nervous about tonight and right now I just want it to come! However, I know once I get locked into the cage and I stand toe to toe with my opponent the fear goes away and its on!!

Laura: Thanks but I'm just another Mom trying to get through life. Take a look and see if your local Y or if a boxing gym close by offers boxing classes for women, and give it a try it is VERY empowering throwing punches not to mention a GREAT way to release stress!! I remember the first time after I had my first fight I went to the beauty store and I had a black eye and a swollen lip, and the girl behind the counter was trying to get me help telling me I don't have to take the abuse. I had to tell her a a few times, that I was a fighter. Its a good thing my husband wasn’t with me!! Anyway, I usually go to bed around 10pm and get up around 5ish but the week before a fight I got to bed around 8:30 or 9:00pm and get up around 4:am to run but the past few nights I have been getting up early.

I really admire the fact that you teach Pilates!! How did you get into teaching it? I hope you feel better soon! I hate being on the sidelines! Take it easy and ease back into working out.

Janie: GREAT JOB on the hour walk!

I'm off to run!

Thanks,

Liz

Happy Friday! As ya'll know I usually telecommute on Fridays, so Ripken and I get to sleep in a little. Fall has come to Virginia for a few days. I actually needed my heavier sweats this morning and a light jacket for our walkabout. I don't miss the humidity and this is the best kind of weather for walking my pup. He just loves it. Then I worked during the morning, took a break at noon and did GS Chest and Triceps, then ate lunch. I need to get back to work, but I'll try to get back later for personals.
Michelle

Not done with my workouts today, but here are a few photos of our Beach House. Will talk again later tonight.

398502519.jpg

A funny sign I've always wanted to take a picture of. LOL:D

398502522.jpg

Front view of Beach House. Some work with the garden and new outdoor carpet. (Not GreeN!)

398502521.jpg

Back side of Beach House. This will look totally different when we get done with it. Hot tub, closure for the animals...

Janie

Last edited:
398502647.jpg

Dinning area, across from that is the kitchen.

398502645.jpg

Half of the living room. Those awful phony plants will be out of there along with the orange carpet.

398502642.jpg

The other half of the living room.

398502644.jpg

One of the bedrooms.

398502643.jpg

Part of the bathroom, it also has a shower and a garden tub. Sweet.

There is another bedroom, but didn't think I could put all of the photos here at once. The kitchen is small but very useful. The home also has a tiny room for the washer and dryer. This will work out for us during the Summer months. Can't wait! Once I get in there, it will look different from this.

Janie

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.