Get Ready for Summer, May 2007

Your first step is to pick a date for a competition. That way you will know the weeks you need to prepare.

This is what I've learned:

You need to bulk first. Eat clean but don't be afraid to up the calories while you're bulking. Eat high protein, high good fats keep the carbs to around 40%-45%. Cardio should be at a minimum at this point. Only about 2 hours a week just to keep the heart active and in good condition. You should bulk until you feel you are in good, proportional form. i.e., your upper and lower body are in good symetrical shape.

About 12 weeks before a competition is where you drop your carbs (slowly at first and then very agressively toward the end) and up your cardio. Continue to lift heavy but you will notice strength loss due to the cut in calories and carbs. However, lowering the weights a little will not hurt you.

Cardio will kick up to about 3 - 3 1/2 hours the first two weeks of the the 12 weeks and then after that you should be doing at least a half hour of cardio 6 days a week.

Again, this isn't etched in stone, nor am I a professional at knowing this, it is just what I have learned. ***EVERYONE is different. You have to know what your body responds best too.

This rotation will give you bulk. You need to do a major strength and muscle building rotation. This one got me excellent results:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=6459&mesg_id=6459&page=

This one is good to follow but also a rotation with using Gym Style and Slow & Heavy would be good as well.

When the 12 weeks hit, this would be a good rotation to follow:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=3794&mesg_id=3794&page=2

If I have time I may make up a good rotation for bulking using GS and S&H. Give me a few days.

oh Debbie do I have questions.
First, even though I have fat on me, you are saying to bulk up.Will I get fatter and rounder?OR will I be losing fat at the same time as I get bigger.In my mind this is very confusing and I have to change my way of thinking obviously.

The percentages are making it difficult for me to understand how much to eat. Would you,could you quickly just give an example of what and how I would eat throughout one day?I know Im asking a lot and I know your time is precious.I am a diligent and faithful student once I get it,if it's any consolation.

The dates I saw for the competions I could enter around this area would be October 24-26th.Which would be great since my anniversary is on October 28th.Pretty neat I think.Really gives me a good date to get it done.
I have up to 35 pound dumbells and of course a barbell with at least up to 165 pound plates.I have never benched more than 25 pound dumbbells.For me, heavy is 25 pounds at chestpresses. Is this where I start? I guess ,sinceI don't lift anything heavier.
I would like to start this rotation tomorrow and the dieting.I'm so excited that I'm finally going to do this at 41 years old.Thank you.

Did you ever use a trainer?I guess your my trainer in a way.

Veronika

You will lose fat while bulking if you eat properly. Are you keeping track of your calories and macros? When bulking you should eat a nutrition breakdown ratio of 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. Your calorie range depends on your weight, height and age. I can figure that out for you if you need me too.

About 12 weeks before your comp you need to bring the nutritional ratios to 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fats. About two weeks before comp (maybe 3 depending on your body fat) you drop the carbs to around 10%.

It's hard to give you an example of what to eat during the day. You have to eat foods in their most natural state, i.e. chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, eggs, oats, almonds, walnuts, cottage cheese, plain low fat yogurt. You'll need to supplement with protein powders because it's really hard to up the protein with just natural foods. Later on this afternoon I'll be posting my eats for the day under the "Checkin & Challenges" forum. Look under "Hardcore Fitness Maniacs" thread for today's date and find my post. You'll see how I eat most every day. Right now my carbs are in the 20% area. You'll kind of get an idea of how I eat and maybe you can get some ideas.

My dumbbells range from 3# to 45#. You might need to at least get 30# dumbbells soon, but it sounds like you got a good foundation there. When doing Gym Style, take more rest then Cathe. That way you can keep going heavy. I usually rest about 1-1:30 minutes sometimes 2 minutes when I'm bulking and building. When you start cutting you'll reduce your rest time to keep your heart rate up.

I have to say, Gym Style gave me excellent results, especially in my chest area. Concentrate on the moves, lift with good form and rest. This is a good foundation to start with.

And no, I've never had a trainer before.

Wow Debbie there is so much to know.Thank you for the information.I have been watching what you eat so I;ll go to that site later to see it again.
I'll definitely take longer rests than Cathe.

I am 5ft.4in.,41 years,and 137 lbs.
Ok,believe I started the day eating what I was suppose to and I am about to work out using the rotation you posted.
How many meals do you want me to eat?Or I should say,Do you think I should eat? I only eat about 3 a day and looking at how many times you eat this will be my challenge.Plus, How do you eat so clean all week without any diversions? Was it hard for you to eat this way at the beginning and now is it habit?I'm curious to know because I want to know the psychological aspect of what I might be going through.
Bottom line is, I stick with it and do it or I will be taking just way too long and not reach my goal on time.I want to do this right so bad.
How long did it take you to get cut and lean when you first started out? By the way ,do you think my goal date is a good one.Is it too long or to short?

Veronika

Ok, you should eat in the calorie range of 1870-2337 a day. I know that looks like a lot, I have a hard time eating that much. Try to stay at least around 1900-2000 a day if you can.

I have an Excel spreadsheet I use to keep track of my macros. If you want I'll email it to you and you can take a look at it. If you have Excel, let me know and give me your email address.

Also, yes it took me a long time to eat as clean as I do. Years, in fact. Now it's second nature. I started out with Weight Watchers and then bought the eBook "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." I've been eating on that plan ever since. Saturday's are my cheat day and I indulge in that big time. You should reward yourself with at least one to two cheat meals one day a week. If you don't, you will burn out and give up. It's so easy to do.

You should definitely eat at least 5 meals a day. You have too to keep your metabolism up. It takes planning, especially if you work, but it's doable if you really want it. I cook all my stuff on Sunday's, put them in containers and I'm good to go. I also make up easy things that take only minutes to cook. My George Foremen grill comes in handy most weeks.

I'm not sure about you being ready for the competition. If you can place a picture of yourself in this thread so I can see what you look like, that would make it easier for me to tell you if I think you could be ready by October or not.

Debbie,
Sorry it is taking me so long to respond.Counting calories is not easy.Pretty time consuming.I am looking into if I have Excel or not.I sure would like it if it makes it easier than looking everything up.How are calories and macros different?
Now I don't feel so bad about struggling with eating clean since I am just starting out.I will have my two cheat meals a week and focus on the 1900-2000 cal. a day of clean eating the rest of the week.

I have eaten two meals so far and will really get in the other three today.Thank you for the advice on cooking everything on Sunday.That makes so much sense.
How would I know if I have Excel? I'm looking for it and I think I might have to download it.

So far the workouts are going fine.It has only been two days but hey,I really feel my upper body today.

Veronika
I looked to see what you ate yesterday but I don't think you you put it down.
I am embarrassed to place a picture of myself in this thread.Can I do it some other way? Here is my email address so I can see the Excel.I sure hope I have it. [email protected]

Veronika,
I just emailed you the spreadsheet. See if you can open it. If not, you can go to www.fitday.com and log your foods.

Calories are the total calories in the foods you eat, macros are the fat/protein/carb grams in everything you eat. For instance, 4 oz. chicken breast is 120 calories, 1 gram of fat, 26 grams of protein and 0 grams of carbs. It is VERY important to know what macros you are eating.

You can send your picture to the email address I used when I sent you the excel spreadsheet.

Today's eats can be found here:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=9&topic_id=119332&mesg_id=119332&page=

Scroll down, you'll see it.

Debbie,
It opened! Thank you. Now I know the difference between macro and calories.
I checked your eats now and I have to go back to see if this is what you put on your Excel and how you figured it all out.
You made me laugh with the last line you typed in on the other forum,and I thought to myself she is so right and I'm only on day 2.Good Grief!

Veronika
Now to go put the info in on the sheet.
I'll get my pics to you soon. Thank you so much Debbie.You are a very giving person of your time and I'm only a stranger to you.Thanks.

LOL! I probably shouldn't have included that blurb about clean eating knowing you were going to look at my eats. Oh well.

The excel sheet will automatically figure out your total calories and macros at the end of the spreadsheet. You just have to key in your foods with the info within all the meal areas. It does all the figuring for you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.