Full fat vs. no fat or low fat

Your brain is the fattest organ in your body and needs fat, it runs on fat (read on ketones and fat burning, cholesterol basics). Its sugar that's the real problem.
^^^This...yes!! Sugar is the devil! When the fat is removed from a product, other substances are added - typically substances that the human body does not recognize and which may cause digestive upset or worse, inflammation.

I've been eating whole foods with plenty of healthy fats for a while, but for the past year I've been gluten and dairy-free as well. I learned that I just cannot tolerate dairy - it causes me to break out with acne. I wish I had known that so many years ago when I ate loads of dairy. I do not have celiac, but I feel much better without gluten.

I stopped in to Barnes & Noble last week and Dr. Mark Hyman's book Eat Fat, Get Thin was marked down 30 percent, so I bought a copy. I decided to give his 21-day reset a try. I'm waiting for my supplements to arrive, but in the mean time I have given up even stevia and I now begin my day with Bulletproof Coffee. It is SO yummy!! I have to say that after just a couple of days, I feel terrific! I practice intermittent fasting - I normally go somewhere between 12 to 16 hours without eating. I am finding that I'm not nearly as hungry as I used to be and even though I was eating small amounts of GF oats, quinoa, and sweet potatoes, I think I'm doing better without them. Dr. Hyman's plan allows for those carbs about 4x/week, so I do plan to have a few servings during my week, but certainly not every day.

Carol,

Very interesting information. I will try to get that book out of the library. I have done IF ( 16:8) and think it works well in keeping me from overeating. I do however have a horrible addiction to anything with sugar....once I eat anything with sugar, I am on a roll for the rest of the day. I need to try that Bulletproof coffee, my friend who eats low carb, swears by it. As mentioned here above. the Nourishing Gurus Mega Energy program does work to reset your cravings if you follow their plan.

Thanks!
Deb

Last edited:
Ok what's this bulletproof coffee?? Is it something you can make yourself or do you have to buy it? What does it do for you health wise or weight wise??
Jamie

I switched to full fat dairy about a year ago and haven't looked back. I also put my kids back on full fat milk instead of 2%. It's all part of my decision to opt for food in its natural state as much as possible. I use Fage full fat, or Siggi (skyr). Both plain. I always add berries, some cinnamon and some ground flaxseed to it.

I used to be afraid of fat: I stayed away from avocado and nuts. I always used nonfat cow's milk yogurt, usually flavored. No more. I've dropped my sugar intake dramatically and I also have an oz of nuts every day, I have full fat yogurt a couple of times a week, I put avocado on toast or on top of my salads. I don't eat much cheese, but if I do, it's usually feta. I love fat.

I will add, though, that I don't tend to eat much cow's milk products anymore. Most of the time I eat sheep or goat milk yogurt. I use almond milk in my hot oat bran cereal.

I'm reading Eat Fat, Get Thin as well. I've already incorporated some of the eating habits he mentions, but it's still nice reading about some of the research behind it.

Carol,

Very interesting information. I will try to get that book out of the library. I have done IF ( 16:8) and think it works well in keeping me from overeating. I do however have a horrible addiction to anything with sugar....once I eat anything with sugar, I am on a roll for the rest of the day. I need to try that Bullet coffee, my friend who eats low carb, swears by it. As mentioned here above. the Nourishing Gurus Mega Energy program does work to reset your cravings if you follow their plan.

Thanks!
Deb

That's the thing about sugar, its addicting because it affects your dopamine receptors, without getting into the boring stuff, sugar hijacks your brain to want more. I realized how addicting cereal was about 15 years ago, my favorite (don't laugh) Lucky Charms, and I used to pick the marshmallows out of the box even after I was done with a honking bowl.

Once you start avoiding sugar, and notice I didn't say stop, just start avoiding sugar as best as you can, that weird craving will lessen. This includes any artificial types of sugar (aspartame, splenda, etc.). You will be surprised how quickly your *smart* body adapts and then eventually you can stop completely. My friends call me Plain Vanilla and that's fine by me.

Last edited:
That's the thing about sugar, its addicting because it affects your dopamine receptors, without getting into the boring stuff, sugar hijacks your brain to want more. I realized how addicting cereal was about 15 years ago, my favorite (don't laugh) Lucky Charms, and I used pick the marshmallows out of the box even after I was done with a honking bowl.

Once you start avoiding sugar, and notice I didn't say stop, just start avoiding sugar as best as you can, that weird craving will lessen. This includes any artificial types of sugar (aspartame, splenda, etc.). You will be surprised how quickly your *smart* body adapts and then eventually you can stop completely. My friends call me Plain Vanilla and that's fine by me.

Nice to see you again Nita ... oh sorry, Plain Vanilla! Great advice. Seriously, Lucky Charms?!?!?!?!?!?! Shakes head ..... Ha!

Clare

Ok what's this bulletproof coffee?? Is it something you can make yourself or do you have to buy it? What does it do for you health wise or weight wise??
Jamie
Jamie, here is a link to a general Yahoo! search on BC, where you will find the recipe as well as some blog posts and articles on the subject. I personally make cold-brew coffee concentrate, which I keep in the fridge. To make my BC, I use 6 oz. of my cold-brew, 1 tsp. of Dandy Blend, 1 Tbl. of (grass-fed, pastured) butter, 1 Tbl. of coconut oil, and add enough water to the blender to bring the finished amount to 16 oz. The original BC recipe calls for 2 Tbls. of each of those fats per one beverage. I decided to start with less to see how I liked it, and I'm happy with my coffee with just 1 Tbl. of each fat, because if I want to enjoy a second cup, I can have one, but I'll use only Dandy Blend. HTH. :)

That's the thing about sugar, its addicting because it affects your dopamine receptors, without getting into the boring stuff, sugar hijacks your brain to want more. I realized how addicting cereal was about 15 years ago, my favorite (don't laugh) Lucky Charms, and I used to pick the marshmallows out of the box even after I was done with a honking bowl.

Yes, this! I am working on this as well and making progress. I used to have some milk and chocolate after dinner every night. It was like I didn't feel my meal was complete without it. Since working on avoiding sugar, no more dessert and I don't even miss it.

Oh gosh, Lucky Charms...used to be a favorite of mine as well!

I just sent the Nourishing Gurus an excerpt from my post on this thread to use as a testimonial. I never do reviews of things because I think I'm a little shy at heart (!), but I truly believe in these ladies and want to spread the word! I'm finally seeing muscle definition from years of training with Cathe...I never thought I'd see sculpted abs or feel this "lean"!

Congrats Nanbo I'm Jealous! I guess my problem is I like to add things like shredded coconut, blueberries etc for added taste with the plain greek yogurt so I get caught up in the added calories from this and therefore opt for the low or non-fat greek yogurt. Maybe I have to get my head around this thinking and come to the dark side with you guys lol!
Jamie

Shopping at both Walmart and Kroger last night, I had no luck finding full fat Greek yogurt. The best I could find was 2% from Fage. I did grab some plain no-fat as well just to experiment with mix-ins. This morning I added some pure vanilla extract and cinnamon...loved it! This retraining of the taste buds may be easier than I thought!

Jamie,

Shredded coconut (unsweetened) and blueberries are healthy and do not add that many calories.

Jody, Inever thought tp add cinnamon & vanilla. How much vanilla...eg for 1/2 or 1/3 cup yogurt?

Jamie,

Shredded coconut (unsweetened) and blueberries are healthy and do not add that many calories.

Jody, Inever thought tp add cinnamon & vanilla. How much vanilla...eg for 1/2 or 1/3 cup yogurt?

Deb, I used a little over a 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla and a couple of shakes of the cinnamon from a shaker-top container. The yogurt was in an individual cup of 5.3 ounces.

While researching vanilla extract options, I discovered there is such a thing as vanilla bean powder. If I can't find it locally, I will be ordering some to give that a try!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.