Full fat vs. no fat or low fat

catwoman7631

Cathlete
I've been reading lately about how eating and drinking full fat dairy items is actually better for you than the no fat or low fat versions. I currently drink 1% milk and eat no fat Greek yogurt, but I'm toying with the idea of switching to the full fat kinds. I'm curious what other Cathletes do for dairy choices. Do you drink and eat full fat or no fat/low fat? Please chime in!

Also, I'm trying to get away from flavored Greek yogurt (too much sugar, artificial sweeteners). However, I have a really hard time enjoying plain Greek yogurt. Anyone have any suggestions for a good flavored Greek yogurt or a really awesome plain version? I know I could add stuff to it, but I usually just throw one in my lunch sack to take to work so I'm considering the convenience factor.

Full fat all the way! I have been off dairy for about 2 months (Nourishing Gurus Mega Energy Program), but I had been eating full fat plain Greek yogurt with a dab of blackstrap molasses and walnuts almost every night after dinner. I will probably limit the amount of dairy in the future, but I will always opt for full fat versions from grass fed cows. As far as sweetened versions, I think the key is to re-train your taste buds and try to get off the sugar! Check out the Nourishing Gurus website for ideas. These ladies are FANTASTIC and their freebie downloads are great. I loved the information and results I was getting so much that I signed up and paid for the ME program and really reaped the benefits of their knowledge. Cathe recommended these ladies (and she never endorses anything!) so I thought I'd give them a try. I have more energy, a much flatter belly, and I've dropped 9 pounds that I didn't even try to lose! I learned so much about balancing my food and so many new recipes and new things to try. Don't get pigeon-holed into always eating a certain type of thing at a certain time or thinking something is convenient when other options may be better for your health or better at a different meal. I've been eating all kinds of things that I never considered having for breakfast for example, or having something after dinner that I used to only have at lunch, etc. Good luck with your quest, you may discover some great tasty options with The Gurus (like making your own nut or coconut milk!)!...and no, I am not affiliated with them, just really got great results with them just like I have with Cathe!

Full fat all the way! I have been off dairy for about 2 months (Nourishing Gurus Mega Energy Program), but I had been eating full fat plain Greek yogurt with a dab of blackstrap molasses and walnuts almost every night after dinner. I will probably limit the amount of dairy in the future, but I will always opt for full fat versions from grass fed cows. As far as sweetened versions, I think the key is to re-train your taste buds and try to get off the sugar! Check out the Nourishing Gurus website for ideas. These ladies are FANTASTIC and their freebie downloads are great. I loved the information and results I was getting so much that I signed up and paid for the ME program and really reaped the benefits of their knowledge. Cathe recommended these ladies (and she never endorses anything!) so I thought I'd give them a try. I have more energy, a much flatter belly, and I've dropped 9 pounds that I didn't even try to lose! I learned so much about balancing my food and so many new recipes and new things to try. Don't get pigeon-holed into always eating a certain type of thing at a certain time or thinking something is convenient when other options may be better for your health or better at a different meal. I've been eating all kinds of things that I never considered having for breakfast for example, or having something after dinner that I used to only have at lunch, etc. Good luck with your quest, you may discover some great tasty options with The Gurus (like making your own nut or coconut milk!)!...and no, I am not affiliated with them, just really got great results with them just like I have with Cathe!

Did you do the Metabolic Effect program or is the ME program you referred to through the Nourishing Guru's? Just curious, I'm doing the Metabolic Effect Nutrition cert right now and loving it!

I've been reading lately about how eating and drinking full fat dairy items is actually better for you than the no fat or low fat versions. I currently drink 1% milk and eat no fat Greek yogurt, but I'm toying with the idea of switching to the full fat kinds. I'm curious what other Cathletes do for dairy choices. Do you drink and eat full fat or no fat/low fat? Please chime in!

Also, I'm trying to get away from flavored Greek yogurt (too much sugar, artificial sweeteners). However, I have a really hard time enjoying plain Greek yogurt. Anyone have any suggestions for a good flavored Greek yogurt or a really awesome plain version? I know I could add stuff to it, but I usually just throw one in my lunch sack to take to work so I'm considering the convenience factor.

I eat the nonfat, plain version of Fage and Oikos. I like the taste, but I also like adding cinnamon to it. I keep a jar of ground cinnamon at work and add it to my yogurt. When I'm home, I add cinnamon, a sprinkle of nuts, and frozen blueberries on top. Yum!

I sometimes add a scoop of a protein I like, like chocolate and turn it into a higher protein mousse.. Strawberry is also good!

I just bought Oikos Triple Zero plain yogurt, which is described as "mild flavor" on the lid.

http://www.oikosyogurt.com/products/triple-zero-single-serve/plain/

It tastes surprisingly sweet to me for plain yogurt (caveat that I'm used to eating the traditional plain yogurt which is very tart). I checked the ingredient label and there are no added sugars, either artificial or natural like stevia. You might want to check it out! And if anyone who reads this thread knows a reason why this brand isn't healthy, please let me know. It seems too good to be true!

Full fat milk in my lattes made with espresso, it hides the bitter flavour of coffee. 2% milk in tea (Twinings Lady Grey needs a delicate touch). Other than that I only eat full fat cheeses, and I eat cheese every day (Brie, English mature cheddar, Cambozola, Goat cheese, Gorgonzola, manchego,MStilton: never mess wkith Euoropean cheeses, eat them as is, for FULL FLAVOUR!). I usually use full fat Greek Yogurt, a brand I get from Wholefoods when I can afford it as it is $6 for the carton. I don't eat other commercially produced yoghurts in individual pots because way to much sugar is added and I can't stand the fake flavours. When I add yoghurt to my guacamole I may use full fat or semi skinned natural yoghurt, rarely Greek as it makes it too thick with an aftertaste.

Full fat dairy foods are not evil. They bring flavour to food, can help you to eat less of it. I'd rather have flavour over quantity any day, and I prefer my fat from dairy rather than from junk food.

Clare

I can't afford full-fat yogurt all the time - right now it's still a "specialty" item, I guess, and too expensive. But I prefer it, and buy it as a treat every once in a while. But my daily yogurt is plain, low-fat. I do a Middle Eastern take on it, and add chickpeas, garlic, turmeric and ginger. It's quite good. Right now I drink 2% milk - I was raised on 1/2% (basically white water!), so drinking whole milk is still sort of tough for me. I'm with Clare on the cheese - not her particular varieties, but oh yes, every day! I've never had problems with dairy adding on weight or causing other problems. LOVE the stuff. :)

I am in agreement with Nan all the way! I did the Mega Energy program and it was just like she described. I veered off though and am sorry I did. I need to go back and review all my notes etc.

Nan....I don't remember any specific info on additions to yogurt....I eat full fat plain Greek yogurt, but like others, I find it hard to enjoy....I need some suggestions on additions that would make me want to eat more of it.

Good yogurt can be expensive- but it's so easy to make. All you need is a spoonful of yogurt (live) to start your batch, then heat your milk (any fat, cows or goats) to blood temp, mix the yogurt in and leave it somewhere warm (a thermos works well). If you want Greek style yogurt, strain the set milk through a cloth (the liquid waste is whey). You can keep going indefinitely and don't need to buy any new yogurt for ages!

Full fat (yup I'm a fat head) and my avatar proves it! I sweeten my whole (full fat / zero sugar) Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of organic maple syrup, I am embarrassed that I swipe the bowl clean with my finger (or tongue). If I'm lucky to score in-season berries, then I skip the maple syrup.

Your brain is the fattest organ in your body and needs fat, it runs on fat (read on ketones and fat burning, cholesterol basics). Its sugar that's the real problem.

I don't pay too much attention to calorie counting, but I usually have a rough estimate. I don't do macro's or anything complicated, I'm a very simple Paleo follower and very much into intermittent fasting. My schedules, workouts and energy output (metabolism) pretty much directs my eating pattern.

My saute oils are:
Red Palm Oil
Ghee / Organic Butter
Coconut Oil

Usually have 3 organic, pastured eggs a day mixed with 2 teaspoons of turmeric and lots of ground peppercorns. Avocados, walnuts, lots of line-caught salmon, grass-fed beef. Every morning I add organic cacao powder to my drip coffee, and then a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses (best woman's tonic) high in iron, potassium, plus its really good!

The great thing about a fat diet (for me) is I'm always satisfied. Like if I'm feeling off before a workout, I will have a spoonful of coconut oil with Propolis (which is really a honey-paste and propolis) its barely anything, yet I'm good to go.

I have become fat-adapted, which took me about 1-1/2 years, whereas my body burns ketones for energy. My carbs are vegetables only and that is usually in the evening. I have gravitated away from any grain (including oatmeal which used to be my go-to) and quinoa, etc. Even while racing last year before I had to end my season, I was not relying on carb loading but would eat a high fat meal before the next day's event. NO bonking.
And btw, chocolate is good for you!

Oh dang....I just realized my favorite snack is organic popcorn that I pop up in a glass popper with ghee and sea salt. Hmmm, I guess that is a carb. Well, that's not gonna change!

Thanks so much to everyone for their responses. I will experiment with full fat versions. Nancy, you are right about re-training my taste buds. I've been able to do that with other foods so I know I can do it with the yogurt. I also like the idea of keeping some add-ins at my desk at work...cinnamon would be great. Maybe some vanilla extract? Lots of possibilities!

Retraining your tastebuds is a great way to say it!! My husband did the Fast Metabolism diet for the whole 4 weeks and DID lose weight. It's all about clean eating really. That includes healthy fats. I've learned that some dairy (yogurt) bloats me up big time. I was trying to use up some food in the fridge and ate yogurt with fresh fruit....bloat barge!! I've learned to read the labels with much more scrutiny, what in particular to look for etc. I also learned that really healthy food including bread (sprouted grain) is tasty! When I eat sugar....I feel it. And so on. The advice here is excellent too, you just have to find out what works for your body.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.