For the runners out there

upperwests

Cathlete
I just started running about one month ago. I am curious how long it took you to be able to run 3 miles. Were you able to run 3 miles right away, in a week? a month? Even though I thought I was in fairly good shape, it took me a while to be able to run 2 miles without stopping. Is this unusual? (some of my route is up hill). I would like to be able to run 3 miles. Am I expecting too much too soon? I run every other day and do weights on alternate days. And, I guess I should mention that I'm no spring chicken....I'll be 51 in two weeks. Is this a factor in why it's taking me a while to build up my mileage?
Paula

I think you're doing great and you're definitely not asking for too much too soon.

I trained for and ran the Chicago Marathon in 2005.
Before training for it I had trained for the 8K Shamrock Shuffle. I started out just running around 1 or 2 miles. I know within a couple of weeks I was able to run 3.

Here's a great link to Hal Higdons 5K (just a little over 3 miles) training.
http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm

Check out runnersworld.com too. You can create free training programs to accomplish whatever goal you set for yourself. A 5K is 3.2 miles, so maybe that would be a good training program to start with if you wish to run 3 miles.

And I have to say, at 50 and having just completed my first race, a 10K, it helped me to do more than just steady state. Try some sprinting then slower paced, then sprinting and slower paced, etc. for your two miles. Do this in addition to your hills or on alternate running days. The runner's world programs will give you a schedule similar to this.

After you push yourself you will see that it really helps not only your endurance but your speed.

And not meaning to be an enabler, but do a search on Cardio Coach - Coach Sean is very motivating and can having you pumping out the miles in no time.

Of course, you must make sure you don't push too hard, and that is definitely hard with Sean speaking to you.:p

You will receive many excellent tips here, as well as from the web sites these guys are posting. I, myself started out running the "wrong" way back in 2002 or 2003, can't remember. I hit the treadmill one day and did 4 miles, and was AMAZED I survived. I then fell in love with running and pushed myself too hard, and with bad shoes!! I now have knee problems, but am coping (my knee problems were luckily NOT caused by my poor training...I learned my lesson and got great advice). Keep at it, and read all you can! Good luck

Upperwests:

Looks like you have some great advice so far. There is a cheetah checkin here on the forums. The girls there are great about sharing opinions/thoughts and advice. Don't be shy asking them anything. They helped me allot. And girl you don't look 51 ;)

As far as I am concerned it takes a while to get everything down pat. From breathing, to how your feet land, to your pace. There are some days now where I have to concentrate on breathing and pace b/c I know I am going to fast and I will never make the distance if I keep that up.
I started out with about 5 kms. I ran that a whole spring/summer/fall/ took the winter off (I couldn't afford a gym membership at the time, or a TM) I would continue to do something else in the winter monthes but no running. When I started back that spring, I started with my 5Kms, then did a different route and did 8 kms. Did that the whole summer and the following yr I did 10 kms. I have gradually increased my distance every yr. Now i just play it by ear. Somedays I will do 10K,sometimes 16K.
You will have to push yourself out of your comfort zone eventually if you want to go faster and further.
The other girls gave you some great tips and advice. Try not to get discouraged though, your gonna have some good days and some bad ones. I still do and I think we all do.

I just started running about one month ago. I am curious how long it took you to be able to run 3 miles. Were you able to run 3 miles right away, in a week? a month? Even though I thought I was in fairly good shape, it took me a while to be able to run 2 miles without stopping. Is this unusual? (some of my route is up hill). I would like to be able to run 3 miles. Am I expecting too much too soon? I run every other day and do weights on alternate days. And, I guess I should mention that I'm no spring chicken....I'll be 51 in two weeks. Is this a factor in why it's taking me a while to build up my mileage?
Paula

Paula,

No, this is not unusual. Even if you are otherwise fit, it takes time to build up your running endurance, especially if hills are involved. Most beginner programs have you safely build up to a 5K (3.1 miles) in about 8 weeks.

The Higdon and RW plans are excellent. Here's another (Couch to 5K) from Cool Running to add to your resources: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Whether you measure by time or distance, the rule of thumb for staying injury-free is to add no more than 10% (time or mileage) per week.

Keep doing what you're doing & happy trails! :)

I'm a newbie runner. I started running last October (at age 46) and used an interval timer (Gymboss). I would run for a minute and a half and walk for a minute. Gradually I would increase the run time and decrease the walk time. Since then, I have run in 6-5K's, a 8K and a 10K.

With that being said, I have a confession to make :eek:. I have walked some in all of these races. I run about 90% of them but there are times that I HAVE to walk. I'm really working on my pacing because I tend to start out too fast. In my last race, I really worked on my pace and I was able to run longer and only take a couple of short walk breaks.

I have worked out for 9 years and have done just about everything but running is a different beast. I love it but to me it's pure torture. Still the torture part is the challenge to me and I love to challenge myself.

It takes time to build up endurance for running. I would stay the course and be consistent in your running. Everyone is different. I think you are doing great!!

You've already gotten great advice, I'll just add that there is no shame in walking! And by that I mean, when you're going along running and feel like you can't go another step, just stop and walk for about a minute and see if you can start up again.

I went for my normal 3 mile run last Sunday morning and it was very hot and humid where I live, for my climate. I did my loop in 35 minutes, which is slow, I know, but it was actually fast for me. I had to stop and walk 3 times. But, the time before I did that 3 mile loop I ran the whole time and it took 36 minutes.

The moral of my story is some days are better than otherswith running. And, the 10% rule is the one I use, too. I'm an on-again, off-again runner and just started up again. There's nothing like a great run.

You'll get to your 3 mile goal, just be consistent and don't do too much too fast.

There's also a column in Runner's World, I think it's called the Penguin Chronicles. It's by a guy who loves to run, but he's slow and he truly advocates walking some in every run. I like that column because I'll never be a fast runner or run a marathon, but I still love running.

I'll stop rambling now!

anne

You've already gotten lots of great advice, but I want to add that perhaps you're trying to run too fast too soon? Slow down a bit - I think you'll find you're able to go quite a bit farther. Work on building up your endurance first, at a slower pace, and then add speedwork to the equation to improve your speed. It does get easier, I promise. I went from never running (and hating running), to running a full marathon in just over a year. Now I love running and the excitement of races, despite the fact that I'm one of the slowest runners out there. :)

With that being said, I have a confession to make :eek:. I have walked some in all of these races. I run about 90% of them but there are times that I HAVE to walk. I'm really working on my pacing because I tend to start out too fast. In my last race, I really worked on my pace and I was able to run longer and only take a couple of short walk breaks.

Nothing wrong with walk breaks. I used Jeff Galloway's Book on Running while training for a HM and he is a true advocate of walk breaks. He stated he has run a number of marathons with walk breaks and still finished with a strong time.

I know how you feel though. I used to think I was a quitter by taking a walk break so I really needed to change my mindset. It really helps to keep your legs fresh while allowing you to pick up your pace.

JJ

I also want to say that there is NO shame in walking a bit. I’m a distance runner and I take walk breaks during long runs (1 minute at the .5 mile or 1 mile mark). I usually have a faster time if I mostly run with some fast walking in between versus a total slower run. During marathons and half marathons I walk through the water stations (I’m terrified of falling down on the slick pavement where people have tossed paper cups), and it seems to work well.

I can run longer if I slow down. That means slowing my pace down to a little above warm up speed. Building endurance takes time. Your cardio capacity will improve a lot faster than your body’s ability. If you start out too fast and too far, you’ll feel fine cardiovascularly but your joints, tendons, and muscles won’t be accustomed to the impact. This can cause an injury.

Take your time, build up slowly and you’ll get there. I’m 45 yrs. old, BTW and was 38 when I started running. I’ve gone through ACL reconstruction on my left knee 2 years ago and was able to pick right back up with distance running (after going through the 9 week Couch to 5k program).

Kathy

Hi.

I haven't read any prior responses so I am sure you already got tons of great advice and what not but I just wanted to share my story with you briefly.

I was never a runner. I did aerobics and weight training for many years on and off. When I finally decided to give running a try I had been exercising quite steadily for a couple of years and considered myself advanced. I joined a gym to take advantage of the treadmill.

Well, OMG! I could barely run for 2 mins with out gasping for air! LOL I kept going back though and gradually building. I did walk/runs and slowly lengthened my running time and shortening my walking time. I think after some time I was finally able to run a couple of slow miles on the TM and decided to hit the streets. Shall I say it again!? OMG! It was like I hadn't run a day in my life! What a difference! I had to start all over again to train my body to handle road running. I was persistent and consistent with both and it paid off!

It's been about 2 to 2.5 years since I started running and I have completed 2 half marathons, am currently training for an 18 miler and am a 2009 full marathon hopefull!

I know it can be tough and frustrating and all but it's soooo worth it! Hang in there and keep at it! You WILL be able to conquer the 3 miles in time. Listen to your body. Walk if you have to and eventually you won't have to anymore! :)

There is a GREAT book out there called the
Beginers Runners Handbook. It is a 13 week walk run program that takes a very conservative approach to building up to running by incorporating walk intervals. I have tried many of those approaches over the years, but they always started off with to much running. This program had me running 30 seconds to start at week one, to running over one hour straight without walk intervals. I was so pround, I did a 5k race because I could. Give this program a shot, i think it's a well thought out program.

Yeup, you've gotten some really great advice already. I found for me that lifting weights and training my core has really helped me with my running form. I also NEVER run without my IPOD. I down load upbeat music that really helps to motivate me. Another thing I remember for my longer 6 mile runs and the best advice I've ever read was to learn to relax. Sounds strange but it really helps. Don't overthink your breathing and most importantly have fun. It might even help you to try running on a treadmill first. It isn't so hard on your knees and the belt spinning help to propel you forward. Good luck. Your on the way.

Thank you all for your excellent advice!!!!! I really appreciate everyone's input and will keep you posted of my progress.
Paula

Hi Paula,
I was 43 when I started running (10 years ago) and was in good shape at that time, but I did follow the beginners program from runnersworld.com. If I remember right it was about 6 weeks when I hit 3 miles steady state (I was elated!). I also had a goal as I wanted to particpate in a 5K. Anyway, I agree with others, it takes time to get your stride, breathing, etc. But don't hurry the process as you'll set yourself up for injury. I think it's just like step, it took a while to build up the endurance and capability to do harder routines.

Isn't it fun to find a new fitness challenge? Hope you have a great time with it!

Jo

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.