Food Scale? Yay or Nay?

Jonezie

Cathlete
Does anyone here actually use a food scale? It so appeals to the meticulous in me, and the clean eater wannabe. And I've found a digital scale I like. But wondering if people really find them useful...and use them enough to justify even the minimal cost. If you do use one, can you tell me how you use it? Like, for meat/proteins mostly? Or for everything?

Thanks!

:)Jonezie

When I was working with Cathy Savage to get my nutrition totally 100% on and 100% clean, I used a scale. I found it incredibly helpful, but I was keeping track of EVERYTHING I ate.

I don't eat meat so I never measured meat, but I measured everything else, veggies, nuts, everything.

After a year of using the scale religiously I stopped because by then I could eyeball an ounce of nuts, etc. I still pull it out once in a while, but not nearly as much as I use to.

I think its definitely worth the nominal cost.

Wow, I could have written travisli's post myself, word for word! I agree with everything Miss-Thing-With-the-Fantastic-New-Haircut-That-Suits-Her-So-Well said.

I love mine. I had read a post a while back about how inaccurate measuring cups and spoons were and they were right. Weighing food is really the only way to be sure your eating the amount you want to. Just as the previous poster said, it will make you good at eyeballing portions without having to weigh them after you use it for a while. Great investment in my opinion.

I use my digital food scale religiously. Its a must for me because my eye-balling can turn for the worst when I'm hungry:confused:

I will measure out just about everything on it. Particularly my natural peanut butter, guacamole, pasta, raw meat,cereal, oatmeal. Just about everything!

I bought it back in September of last year for around 20$ and it was well worth the cost. I love it! I lost 23lbs just by weighing my food( & working out 6 days a week) Its a real eye opener:eek:

Good Luck to you!:)

I'm at the opposite end of this. I bought a scale and used it probably 3 times before I quit using it. It just sits collecting dust now. It's not sensitive enough for me to use for weighing my ingredients for bread baking. I'm really good eyeballing since doing WW so many years ago, so it didn't take long before I was comfortable again with guesstimating!

I use my scale every day. It has really helped me learn how to estimate a serving size visually. I found a really nice one for $15 at Wal-Mart.

I definitely vote YES, "ditto-ing" what Travisli said! One of my favorite meals is pasta with marinara, cheese, and pine nuts, and the way I normally made it came up to about 600 calories!!:confused:

With the digital scale, I finally got a handle on what 2 oz of uncooked pasta looks like, 1/2 ounce of nuts, etc, and now I can make that meal at 450 calories, using just a bit less of each ingredient. I'm on a mission to lose 6 pounds over the next few weeks, and the food scale is going to help me, I know.

Buy one, Jonezie, you know you want to!!:eek:

Wow, I could have written travisli's post myself, word for word! I agree with everything Miss-Thing-With-the-Fantastic-New-Haircut-That-Suits-Her-So-Well said.

Travisli, you need to change your profile name to that! Your new haircut is adorable! :eek:

I have a food scale, a Salter like the one Janis linked to in her post, and I LOVE it for all of the reasons stated above. I measure everything... heck, I even weighed my clothes once before a physical exam so I could tell my doc how many pounds to subtract from the reading she got on the office scale. *true story* :p

I used mine faithfully for many, many years. Nowadays I just pull it out every few weeks to keep myself honest. Those portion sizes tend to creep up pretty quickly.

Shari
(maintaining a 100 pound loss for 10 years)

I use mine almost every day, especially for weighing calorie-dense snacks like dried fruit and nuts, where small errors of judgement makes a big difference in calories.

edited to add: mine is digital too, and easy to store and whip out at a moment's notice.

Last edited:
Yes

I use mine all the time. I have a digital scale now. I used to use a cheap one that was mechanical. I love the digital one. I use it at least once a week. I pre measure out my snack type foods and I just got a 10 pound tube of ground beef (good stuff) and I weighed out 6 ounce baggies that I froze. I got the beef on a really good deal because I bought in bulk. You can put a bowl on the scale tare (zero it out) and then add your food and tare after each addition. So if you have a salad, add the greens, tare, add the nuts up to an ounce or half an ounce, and its accurate. You don't have to guess. I hate guessing. I love this scale a lot more than my bathroom scale;)

Wow...thanks for all the great responses! It's definitely swayed me more to the yay than nay side. But one more question: In my calorie counting book, the only thing that seems to be measured in ounces is meat/protein. Everything else seems to be measured in cups. Which is why I thought I could get away with just measuring with measuring cup. But you think this is more accurate? The scale I want to get is digital with ounce/gram measurements.

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing more...

I have one, but rarely use it.
I only use it for recipes that give amounts in ounces or grams, not for keeping track of how much I'm eating.

Everything else seems to be measured in cups. Which is why I thought I could get away with just measuring with measuring cup. But you think this is more accurate? The scale I want to get is digital with ounce/gram measurements.

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing more...

Yes, absolutely.

You can always cross-reference with one of the on-line calorie counting sites and then jot down in your book what the ounce/gram calorie count would be.

:D

I used mine faithfully for many, many years. Nowadays I just pull it out every few weeks to keep myself honest. Those portion sizes tend to creep up pretty quickly.

Shari
maintaining a 100 pound loss for 10 years)

Great idea, and too true about the portion sizes ;)

...and 100 pounds lost?? Awesome!!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.