Fitnessfreak - a rotation question

pharma_gal

Cathlete
What is the difference between your strength rotation and muscle building rotation?

I just completed a fat burning rotation recently and I now want to focus on building some muscle as well getting strong. In this situation, which one should I be following? thanks.

R.

They pretty much mean the same. Muscle Building = strength.

For what you want I say go for the Strength Rotation. I think it's the first link on the thread I posted. You'll get good results from it. It mixes Pyramids with Pure Strength and works a different body part a day. I think you'll like it.

Debbie, I just want to take time to say thank you. You seem to be the go to person on the threads and we all appreciate you. Your wisdom and insight has given us much inspiration, not to mention those awesome abs. I must say, my hats off to you.

I've always wondered about fat burning v. strength or muscle. Exactly whats the difference. Would a person do more cardio to burn fat? What would a fat burning rotation look like generically? And once you get to either strength/muscle do you limit the amount of cardio to a certain amount of day?

Usually to burn fat you do have up your cardio a bit. But it also depends on your body type. If you are a mesomorph (like me) your body responds better to heavy lifting and little cardio. For me to lose body fat I usually up my cardio to only three hours a week and I really focus on my diet. If you are an endomorph, you can't lose weight for anything. You gain it quicker then most people so more cardio is usually good for this type of body plus an aggressive diet plan. If you are an ectomorph, then you need to do more strength training then cardio because you are already naturally lean but a hard muscle gainer.

What category do you think you are? Let me know and I'll try to write up a generic rotation for you. You can plug in the workouts, I'll just let you know what you have to do each day.

Debbie,
What is the best way to find out if you are an ecto, meso, or endo? I just took this little quiz, and it said I was a mesomorph. I am pretty proportionate, I find myself to be a bit bulky in the legs, medium build, I think I gain and lose pretty easily. My weight goes up and down a few pounds, depending on diet choices!
Sorry for jumping in, and thanks in advance for any info.
Jodi

Debbie,
What is the best way to find out if you are an ecto, meso, or endo? I just took this little quiz, and it said I was a mesomorph. I am pretty proportionate, I find myself to be a bit bulky in the legs, medium build, I think I gain and lose pretty easily. My weight goes up and down a few pounds, depending on diet choices!
Sorry for jumping in, and thanks in advance for any info.
Jodi

Jodi,
You are probably a mix between Meso and Endo. That's what I am as well. I gain muscle quickly but can also gain fat quickly. So my rotation incorporates more weight training then cardio but I still have to have the cardio in at least 2 hours a week.

Hey Debbie,

I'm not sure which I am, how do you determine? I'm 5'7, 150-155 depending on the time of the month. I tend to carry my weight heavily in my hips. Although my mid/upper section are pretty defined(I started lifting heavy in my upper body to even out the lower half, and noticed it defined nicely w/heavy lifting) for some reason my butt/thighs never seem to get any smaller.

I've done your leg blast routine and have noticed strength, but really no definition and have been getting pains in my knees. As far as I can remember I've always had hamhock thighs. It's almost as if I have no knees, my legs are just a straight line of thickness. I know alot has to do w/my diet which I'm really trying to get a handle on because I know it's half the battle, but I would love if you could do a rotation for me. I currently started on the Cathe's August rotation, but really too soon to tell if any difference has been made.

Thanks so much

Dana

Thanks Debbie! I appreciate the input. After I posted the question to you, I did some research and came up with endo-mesomorph as well.
I appreciate your help!
Sincerely,
Jodi

Hey Debbie,

I'm not sure which I am, how do you determine? I'm 5'7, 150-155 depending on the time of the month. I tend to carry my weight heavily in my hips. Although my mid/upper section are pretty defined(I started lifting heavy in my upper body to even out the lower half, and noticed it defined nicely w/heavy lifting) for some reason my butt/thighs never seem to get any smaller.

I've done your leg blast routine and have noticed strength, but really no definition and have been getting pains in my knees. As far as I can remember I've always had hamhock thighs. It's almost as if I have no knees, my legs are just a straight line of thickness. I know alot has to do w/my diet which I'm really trying to get a handle on because I know it's half the battle, but I would love if you could do a rotation for me. I currently started on the Cathe's August rotation, but really too soon to tell if any difference has been made.

Thanks so much

Dana

Dana,
Check out this website. I haven't had a chance to look it over but I think it will help you determine what your body type is:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/body-types-weight-loss.htm

I'm also going to jump in and ask Debbie a question if you don't mind.

I recently had my metabolism tested, and it calculated my RMR to be 1400 calories a day. I currently weigh 181 pounds, 5'6" and am pear shaped. I lift weights 3 times a week - each muscle group once a week, 3 sets of 4 exercises, 8-10 reps. Lately, my cardio has been only 2 days a week, a steady pace, 60 minutes each time.

My diet is not clean and I know that is the key to losing weight. I do want to lose about 20 pounds of fat, but I have to admit, I enjoy seeing the muscles in my biceps, triceps and shoulders, since I've been doing this heavy lifting.

So, here's my question. If I want to shed some weight, but maintain as much muscle as I can, if not build even more, how many calories should I eat per day and what is your recommendation on the percent of protein, carbs and fats? And, in your experience, should I change the focus of my workouts?

I appreciate your input and enjoy reading your workout results on the check-in page. You are truly an inspiration (and being a fellow Ohioan helps too). Thanks!!

Christine

Hey Debbie,

I looked at the site you recommended and I think I'm meso/endo.

Ok, I think you should stick to a rotation like this:

Day 1: Chest & Tri's
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Back & Bi's
Day 4: Cardio
Day 5: Shoulders
Day 6: Legs
Day 7: Rest

or you can combine Shoulders and Legs together to giver yourself another day of cardio if you think you need it. When I'm building muscle, I use the rotation above. When I'm cutting I'll put shoulders and legs together and up my cardio to three days a week.

Use Gym Style series or the Slow & Heavy series to build muscle. This will also raise your metabolism and help you burn some fat if your eating is clean.

I'm also going to jump in and ask Debbie a question if you don't mind.

I recently had my metabolism tested, and it calculated my RMR to be 1400 calories a day. I currently weigh 181 pounds, 5'6" and am pear shaped. I lift weights 3 times a week - each muscle group once a week, 3 sets of 4 exercises, 8-10 reps. Lately, my cardio has been only 2 days a week, a steady pace, 60 minutes each time.

My diet is not clean and I know that is the key to losing weight. I do want to lose about 20 pounds of fat, but I have to admit, I enjoy seeing the muscles in my biceps, triceps and shoulders, since I've been doing this heavy lifting.

So, here's my question. If I want to shed some weight, but maintain as much muscle as I can, if not build even more, how many calories should I eat per day and what is your recommendation on the percent of protein, carbs and fats? And, in your experience, should I change the focus of my workouts?

I appreciate your input and enjoy reading your workout results on the check-in page. You are truly an inspiration (and being a fellow Ohioan helps too). Thanks!!

Christine

How old are you? That calorie range is REALLY low for anyone at your height and weight. Let me know your age and about how many hours a week you workout and I"ll come up with a more accurate figure for you.

I just turned 35 and consistenly work out about 5 hours a week, although I really would like to make it 6 hours.

The person who tested my metabolism said I could eat about 1650 calories a day and maintain. (She took the 1400 that my body actually burns at rest and added 250 for light daily activity). She did indicate that she usually sees people whose RMR is around 800 calories a day; so she commended me for the weight lifiting and building muscle that contributed to my higher metabolism - that made me feel good.

Thanks again
Christine

Christine,
I show that if you eat 2456 calories a day you will maintain your current body weight. If you were just a couch potato, you could get away with eating 1585 calories a day to maintain but this is way too low for someone who works out about 5 hours a week. To lose some body fat you should eat clean and eat around 1720 calories a day. When you lift weights you definitely need to eat more to keep your metabolism up. BUT... the food has to be clean.

Try to keep your Fats at 30%, Proteins at 40-45% and carbs at 25-30%. Lowering your carbs will shed body fat. At least once a week do a carb up and eat about 45-50% carbs and adjust your fat and protein accordingly. This keeps the body guessing and in turn revs up the metabolism. You will not lose muscle doing this, in fact, it will help you gain.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Thanks for the rotation. Cathe's August rotation is sort of similar. Another question if you don't mind. I saw that you posted to Christine about the amount of carbs/protein/fat should be eaten, could you do the same for me. 42 y/o, 155, 5'7.

Oh, is there a site which will calculate this information for me. How do you calculate yours? Is there a certain site. I thought about joining the nutrition site here if you think it would be beneficial.

Thanks Dana

Debbie

Thanks for the rotation. Cathe's August rotation is sort of similar. Another question if you don't mind. I saw that you posted to Christine about the amount of carbs/protein/fat should be eaten, could you do the same for me. 42 y/o, 155, 5'7.

Oh, is there a site which will calculate this information for me. How do you calculate yours? Is there a certain site. I thought about joining the nutrition site here if you think it would be beneficial.

Thanks Dana

For your activity level and the info you gave me here, 2241 calories would maintain the weight you are at.

If you want to lose some body fat, eat between 1569 and 1793. I would stay in the 1600 range. Your macros if you want to shed some body fat is to eat 30% fat, 50% protein, 40% carbs.

I have the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle e-Book and there is a formula in the book that I use.

I haven't checked out the nutrition site yet so I can't answer your question.

Hey Debbie,

You said it I want to lose fat I should stay around 1600 calories. You broke it down to 50% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat, but that does not add up calorie wise. Let me see if I got this right. I should eat 800 cal of protein, 400 cal of carbs, 400 cal of fat, is that right?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.