Fitness goals for 2009?

jonahnah

Cathlete
In keeping with my year end navel gazing mood, I wondered what others have in mind for themselves for the coming year.

What new thing are you trying?
What overall goals do you have?
What training program/rotation do you want to try or plan to continue?
What bad habit (fitness/health related) do you want to lose?

Here are mine:

New thing to try: Kettlebells - Santa is bringing me the Lauren Brooks dvd and I have a 10 lb & a 12 lb bells.

Overall Goal: Lose 12 lbs.

Training Goal: Incorporate weight training every week so my UB and LB each get attention 2-3x/week and my core, 3-4x/week.

Bad habit must shed: Too many days off from exercise. I need to make myself move, even if it's just for 30 minutes.

How about YOU? What are your plans?

What new thing are you trying? - being consistent with reasonably (not squeaky) clean eating

What overall goals do you have? - being consistent with reasonably (not squeaky) clean eating

What training program/rotation do you want to try or plan to continue? - continue with a mix of weight training, yoga and cardio

What bad habit (fitness/health related) do you want to lose? - yo-yo-ing. I am either gaining or losing around 8 pounds because of my eating at any given time. I can lose wieght and maintain even without a stellar diet, but I LOVE goodies and lots of them.

I'm going to TRY to stick with a rotation -- STS to be exact. I've never been very good at that but I think STS will be different because of all the wiggle room to incorporate other things that I enjoy, like Cardio Coach.

My goal overall is to be consistent and stop procrastinating. I always start out great but once I miss a workout it's very hard for me to get back in the groove.

1. STS! I'm really pretty excited about it.
2. I want to do more with kettlebells. I'd love to find a certified KB instructor but so far I haven't had any luck.
3. AND, I'm thinking about joining a gym so that I can add more variety to my cardio workouts. I realize that you old timers who know me as whiney a$$ed cardio hater are probably slack-jawed by this pronouncement, but I've come a long way with Cardio Coach and I'm ready to branch out a bit and try something besides my beloved elliptical. :eek:

Again, I have a tendency to be inconsistent and to procrastinate -- bad habits that have derailed my progress for years. I really want to develop good habits and stick with them. ETA that I'd like to clean up my diet, too. My eating will never be squeaky clean, but I can do a LOT better. ;)

Last edited:
I'm pondering P90X....I'll probably stick with for a week or two until I can no longer stand Tony Horton and then I'll have to cook up something new.

What overall goals do you have? To lose the 5 pounds I gained from eating too much crap over the past couple of months. :eek:

I plan to begin an STS rotation that I can hopefully incorporate into my full marathon training that will start early into 2009. It'll be my first!!!

What bad habit (fitness/health related) do you want to lose? TOO MUCH CRAPPY EATING!!!!:eek:

What new thing are you trying? STS. I need to figure out a knee-friendly cardio workout so that I can build some cardiovascular stamina.

What overall goals do you have? Nothing new here - losing weight, gaining muscle

What training program/rotation do you want to try or plan to continue? STS

What bad habit (fitness/health related) do you want to lose? Binge eating. Not eating enough veggies.

New thing to try: Nothing comes to mind right now

Overall Goal: To be overall fit and healthy.

Training Goal: To work my legs more often. Continue with kettlebells. Immediate goal is to complete the 200 Kettlebell Swing Challenge ~ 200 swings every day for the month of January.

Bad habit must shed: Not eating enough veggies.

Getting back into regular exercise (too many days off, to inconsistent a schedule).

Which will help me with ...
building back muscle
reducing body fat

Culling out unused fitness DVD's and getting them out of the house (I have several boxes full that I plan to Ebay, but haven't taken the time to...and they sometimes *mysteriously* make their way back to my workout video shelf).

Lifting heavy:eek:

Gain muscle, strength, reduce bodyfat.

Chalene Extreme, STS

Losing control of my diet with sweets(candy cookies cake). Once I start eating it, I seriously can't stop. I crave more, more, more. I never feel full when I eat it. I also get depressed when I eat it.

What new thing are you trying? Trying to be focused on specific training rather than just do what I want. IE - follow the rotations I have set.

What overall goals do you have? To drop 20 pounds and improve my cycling, especially my climbing.

What training program/rotation do you want to try or plan to continue? Through the winter months, I want to gain length and core strength, so my rotations will be focused on that. As spring gets closer, I want to maintain strength and develop my fast twitch muscles with a kettlebell focus, then as July approached, I plan to spend most of my time in the saddle. After that I can play. :p

What bad habit (fitness/health related) do you want to lose? My inability to say no to food. If it's there, I'll eat it.

What new thing are you trying? STS (once my shoulder heals)

What overall goals do you have? Build muscle, lose 8-10 lbs (5 of which I think I gained back today with all the darned chocolate at the office)

What training program/rotation do you want to try or plan to continue? STS - CAN'T WAIT!

What bad habit (fitness/health related) do you want to lose? My eating! I am a sucker for cr*p food when it is put in front of me!

Fitness Goals for 2009!!!!

STS!!!! I am a fun-loving girl, so sticking with a serious weight training rotation for 14 weeks will be a wonder! I am hoping this new way of training will be a good way of "shocking" my body while saving my joints. For the record, I am planning to watch all the plyo legs DVDs while I bounce on my rebounder!

My desire is to be strong and healthy (physically, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally) in 2009. My goal for STS is one push-up on my toes by the end of my first complete rotation! With all the weight I am pushing up, that would be a big accomplishment!

I have been dreaming of running since I started my fitness journey. Cathe’s picture of "triumph and glory" on the November page of the 2008 calendar inspired me and sparked a fire in my heart. It is time to rise up, embrace the challenge, walk by faith, and see my hopes and dreams become reality. I want to run a 5K in 2009. I am planning to walk/run my first 5K in March and hopefully run one by the end of the year. I do not look or feel like a runner at this weight and size, but I have faith and a determined focus. All things are possible for those who believe, and I can rise above food strongholds and obesity and soar on wings like an eagle by God's grace. The task ahead of me is never as great as the POWER behind me!

STS!!!! Hopefully, my lower body (and especially my knees) will be strong enough to return to Cathe cardio in 2009 after a round of STS. I miss my beloved step workouts! I want to keep enjoying Cardio Coach in the pool or on my rebounder as well as fun Zumba classes at the club. My Zumba teacher offered to train me to walk/run a "fun" 5K in March, and I am going for it! STS three days a week is all the "serious" I can handle at a time. My cardio workouts will be fun, fun, fun!

I want to break free from an unhealthy focus on scale weight and start focusing on being strong and healthy and achieving my fitness goals in 2009. My one goal for nutrition in 2009 is to annihilate free glutamate. A Christian life coach inspired me to become a one-thing person. What one thing if done consistently for the next year would make the biggest difference in my eating? I am praying for wisdom and doing a ton of research, and I believe this is the one-thing related to food and nutrition that will be most beneficial for me.

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Lifting heavy:eek:

Gain muscle, strength, reduce bodyfat.

Chalene Extreme, STS

Losing control of my diet with sweets(candy cookies cake). Once I start eating it, I seriously can't stop. I crave more, more, more. I never feel full when I eat it. I also get depressed when I eat it.

Cynthia, I had this exact answer to every question! How funny! :)

STS of course ;), plus running longer distances.

My first goal is to finally run a 50k in April 09 (I attempted one last Aug but it got cancelled after 20 miles due to a lightening/thunder storm). I also plan to complete a 50 mile race by the end of the year (plus another duathlon and possibly a triathlon along the way).

I start training for the 50k in two weeks and I'll incorporate STS when it's released for 14 weeks.

Late evening snacking and snacking at my desk during the day.

good thread

The new thing I'm trying is more steady state cardio rather than all intervals all the time.

My overall goals are to lose 53 pounds of body fat and to improve my cardio endurance.

My training/rotation: I plan to continue to add time onto my wogs each week and to do yoga. In January I may try (as someone on the forums suggested) doing a different activity every day of the week. I normally do mostly step and mostly wogging. Perhaps every fourth week I will do something more like this: Wog, Ballet, Steady state step, Kick boxing,

The bad habit I need to lose is too many sweets! I need to lean towards the clean snacks.

Chalean Extreme and STS!

To be more consistent with my strength, cardio and yoga. I've noticed that consistency really is key to seeing results. To hopefully strengthen my knees so they don't give me as much trouble and not derail my goals. I'd like to see more bulk to my muscles, I'm an ectomorph so this will be a challenge that I hope STS will fix if I'm consistent with it. Also, to eat more greens and lean meat and get more control over my naughty little dessert addiction.

1. Chalean Extreme: Probably will try first since this will arrive first.
2. STS: Can't wait!

Got to lose the dessert addiction and to eat more veggies. I'm like a kid, LOVE my dessert, HATE my veggies! Actually I don't really hate veggies I'm just too lazy to include them in my diet. Pathetic!

New thing to try: STS
Overall Goal: Have my meals planned the day before, and follow my plan. Lose weight, Run farther.
Training Goal: Complete STS at least once, Run 10 miles straight by Dec 31.
Bad habit must shed: Overeating at social gatherings.

STS and if things go well with the first time through, I'll use it again later in the year. I'm also cutting my cardio to 2-3 times a week and trying to vary it more instead of focusing on step all the time. Step is my favorite though, so it's hard not to grab for it.

Getting stronger and more cut. And bringing my lower body (knee to hip) along for the ride, since it's always the last area to show change. I also need to eat cleaner.

STS, and varied types of cardio.

Eating for no other reason than that something tastes good. I need to focus on the stuff that tastes good and is beneficial.

Getting serious about weight training and adding it in instead of all cardio all the time

I need to lose this 40+ pounds I gained in the last year and a half (fertility meds + an "If i'm going to gain weight I might as well eat what I want" attitude). I went back to WW yesterday because I need that accountability.

To finally complete an entire rotation (STS)

Cook more and eat convience food less (hard to do sometimes when you're a FT working mom also going to college)

I'm so excited about STS and can't wait for it to get here! I pretty much have no strength to speak of at this point so i'm excited to do something about that finally. I'm also hoping that will give my metabolism a kick to get some of this weight off.

My cheat DAYS. Having a cheat is okay now and then and in moderation, but my cheat days end up with me eating one of everything and feeling sick afterwords. :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.