Finding small clothing sizes

callie44

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe and fellow forum-mates! I'm new to the forum, but not new to Cathe's workouts.

First, I would like to thank Cathe for helping me get ultra-fit, however an interesting problem has arisen: it's become quite difficult to find formal clothing now that a woman's size 0 is a bit big for me. The Mary Kate and Ashley Collection (in children's size 12) can only take me so far! Although I'm 5'2'', pants made for a child are sometimes a bit short and, well... no one wants to look like Noah waiting for the flood. Also, few 12-14 year olds seem to need "power suits" for work these days. :)

Where do you shop for clothes, Cathe? Cathe-ites? HELP!

Well, I haven't been a size 0 for a while (I am currently a 2) but last summer I WAS wearing a 0 due to a significant weight loss. I know the frustration it is to hunt for clothes that fit and those that are actually ADULT clothing!! I actually found a few great things on Ebay. The drawback to buying clothes on Ebay is that you aren't able to try them on before buying but I did luck out and got some great summer dresses along with some brand new Gap jeans in size 0 (although I think Gap runs big)

You may want to try searching the Internet for specialty sites that cater to the petite woman. They could probably send a catalog to you?

Good luck :)

What about "Petite Sophisticate"? I don't shop there (meaning I'm not petite in stature) but maybe that could be a place to start?

Sue<><

I've found that most petite departments start at a size 2p. Have you thought about shrinking a pair of 2p pants?

I'm a 4p but I have a lot of clothes that I bought last year that are 6p, I just had them laundered and put in hot dryers - they are now 4ps! I've noticed that several pairs of my pants get larger as I wear them, so I just reshrink them again.

Talbots has a lot of extra smalls in tops that will probably fit you. However, you may just want to find a good tailor who can take in the jackets and dressier pants that you find in a larger size.

I hope these ideas help you! (And I hope that I'm a 0 next year! LOL!)

Have you tried just getting a 2P and having it tailored?

I know that sizes have become larger - I'm a 4 -6P - I find that Ann Taylor has a wonderful petite department - they may have 0's -

I'm petite and am constantly having pants and dresses shortened - I have a formal dress that is a size 4P - it was a little big and the taylor just took it in.

Another vote for petite sophisticates - They may have an on line link - Also, Victoria Secret has petites - now I don't think they are appropriate for work - but I have purchased some nice sports cloting - some nice pants and even some skirts - they tend to run on the smaller size - they do have a website.

Wow! Thanks so much for all of these great suggestions (the is a reply to all of the people who answered my cry for help) and for the speediness of them. You've really brightened my day. The only things I mangaged to find on my last shopping trip were shoes--I can ALWAYS find those, much to the chagrin of my husband.

Take care and thank you again.

Petite Sophisticate has some great suits for work and they carry size zero to boot! This is where I do my shopping for work clothing. Where I struggle is in the casual/weekend wear department. Love Banana Republic's casual line but even their zeros run big.

Good Luck
Alexandra

Thanks for seconding or thirding(?) :) the Petite Sophisticates recommendation. I wonder if there is one in Vermont...? (Probably in Burlington, from which I've just returned.)

Totally agree with you regarding the Banana Republic size zeroes; the same kind of skewing seems to happen with other stores. Does anyone know why sizing is so dramatically different depending upon the chain? Sometimes the sizing is even whacked out within the chain; there's one catalog store in particular from which I've ordered large 0s and super-small, can't-get-them-past-my-thighs-much-less-zip-them-up, please-help-me-breathe, size 0 jeans.

Good news: thanks to you all, I was able to construct a power suit via Internet shopping that--with any luck--will fit! :D Until then, I guess it's an Olson twins' fashion statement for me.

Have a great day and thanks soooooo much!!!

--Callie

I too have that issue. Believe it or not I get quite a bit of my clothing from Victoria's Secret. They have suites and professional clothing (not just the sexy stuff!) in size 0 LoL.

Also, the Gap as someone else mentioned or The Limited. They also carry size 0 short. I just bought I really cute pair of slacks from them in size 0 Short and they fit great!

Good luck -- their could be worse problems in life :)

You're right--there could be worse problems! Thanks for the suggestion re the Limited; the next time I'm in Burlington, I'll check it out. One other question: do you find that the cut on a short pant is different from that of a regular? Sometimes petite cuts seem a bit more snug around the hips and thighs...but maybe not across the board.

Take care and thanks again!:)

Callie,

I have a brand new pair of size 0 Victoria Secret jeans (sits below the navel but not super low cut) that I actually bought last year when I got sick with mono. I wore them once, washed them, and now they are sitting in my closet laughing at me. :7 I am back into a size 1/2 and don't think I'll ever see 0 again.

If you would like the jeans I would be happy to send them to you as they are destined for Goodwill anyway. They are 29" inseam and boot cut.

I am narrow hipped and thicker waisted but you sound like the opposite - more small waisted and natually petite.

-Roe

I'm a size 0 at 4'11 (my 13 year old daughter is bigger than I am!), and I used to be able to shop at Petite Sophisticate, but in the last year or so their clothing has gotten larger and many things are way too big for me. I bought a pair of drawstring cotton pants to wear at casual days at work (really nice) in a size 0, and I can barely keep them up, but to make matters worse, the pants are so long (so much for petite) that they drag under my shoes! I'm looking very forward to all of your ideas here. Oh, I've bought a couple of basic skirts at Limited 2 -- where I shop for my 11 year old daughter.

Carole

To: Roe and Carole

It's fabulous to know that I'm not alone in petit-itude. :) Thanks, Roe for the generous offer of jeans; however, I think I'm doing alright in that department. My kids' MUDD jeans are cute (albeit a bit short) and I was able to bargain shop at Walmart for some kids' Jordache. If you can find the latter, I highly recommend them (they're comfy and long enough, but not too long).

And Carole, thanks for the heads up on Petite Sophisticates--especially since I'm under a size 0 now--and for the recommendation about the Limited.

To: Everyone who's responded

Thank you for all of your support; I wish I'd joined the forum sooner.

Take care and keep posting!:D

Hi! Did you ever try J Crew? They carry petites and I being one have been successful with them. Not all their stores in the malls carry petite sizes but if you don't mind online shopping you can order it from them at jcrew.com. Good luck!

Take care and enjoy your workouts!

nette

We don't have a Target. :( But, I'll do some research into where there is one, b/c your suggestion is great! [They have less in their online collection.]

Nette--

Can't believe I didn't check out jcrew! What was I thinking? Will check out their website ASAP.

Take care and enjoy your workouts.

--Callie

howdy Callie, I am 43 almost 44, and I am also 5'2" and I weight 113 haven't made it to size zero yet, but working on a size 4 :7 .... it feels so good. ........ Rhonda :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.