Feeling terrible over stray kitten

red_mct

Cathlete
Yesterday we found a tiny, tiny stray kitten under a tree in our backyard. It was POURING rain all day and the poor thing was soaking wet and one eye was practically glued shut with infection. She was crawling with fleas. I took her into the garage and bathed her in warm water to clear up her eye and try to get the worst of the fleas off her, then I begged my vet to take her in as the Humane Society didn't even answer the phone (also, afraid to take her there as she was obviously too little to even eat). So my vet agreed to see her and as soon as we got there, the tiny thing started shivering uncontrollably. The vet asked if she was that wet when we found her and I told her she was pretty wet but that I had washed her down some because she was muddy and flea ridden and meowing uncontrollably. Anyway, so apparently being so wet made her temp drop and they were going to put her under lights or whatever it is they do in this situation.

The vet said she was about 7 weeks and weighed just over 1 pound. She also said that it was going to be touch and go because of the temp drop, and asked if I wanted responsibility for her or if I would just surrender her completely. I already have 3 cats and while I wouldn't care about the cost, I was so afraid of dealing with a dying animal or one that would be sick a lot because of this. Also, the vet wasn't even sure she'll make it. So I surrendered her, and then cried all the way home. I feel so guilty because if I didn't wash her down, would she have been ok? And shouldn't I have just taken the responsibility? Sheesh. I am just haunted by this.

I guess I should be glad my vet was willing to take her on. I'll call later and see if she bounced back (not sure they'll even tell me). I just feel so bad and guilty. Sigh.

Marie

Hugs Marie. I'm sure you did the best thing under the circumstances. I wonder how she got in your backyard. I hope some creep didn't just dump her.

Marie,

You have a huge heart for doing what you did. You did more than most would do. Don't beat yourself up AT ALL! Feel good because you tried to help. If she is not meant to survive, there is nothing you could have done about it.

Hugs,

Marie,

You helped her as much as you could. I really don't think it was your bath but the constant pouring rain that probably made her temp drop. You did more for her than many would have and that is wonderful.

You sould not feel guilty. Let us know if you learn anything more about her.

Please be kind to yourself. This may seem kind of heartless, but if she doesn't make it, at least she spent her last moments in someone's kind care and not alone and freezing and miserable.

I'm guessing the bath you gave her was not the cause of her temp drop, but the fact that she was just a little thing, with no body fat and a super quick metabolism that was consuming calories she was not getting. Does that make sense?

You did the right thing and I give you so much credit for making the hard decision for the right reasons.

I have three kitties myself and can't even walk in the area of the PetSmart that has the adoptable kitties. I'd leave with all of them if I could; I don't know of one cat lover who wouldn't!

Best,
Susan "One Half" L.G.

Marie-
You did a wonderful and humane thing! I have 3 very large dogs and my DH has to be reminded all the time to take strays/injured animals directly to vet not home! I look at it this way.... My primary responsibilty is to my 3 animals (kids) so I help the injured by taking to vets whose role is to heal... I cannot possibly be a good "mom" to hundreds of strays.... If everyone did their small part to take care of all the pets in the world then they would all do fine. YOU are doing your part.... be proud of yourself.

You did do a great thing, and your vet too taking it in. I'm like you, I would feel horrible as well, but I agree with everyone that you did the best you could and more than most people would. You have a very BIG heart!!!!

Jen

You did the right thing. You shoudl be feelling proud of yourself right now. You gave a kitten that had no chance of survival out there in the rain by herself a chance to live. I'm sure that the bath you gave her ha nothing to do with her temperature drop. If anything being that it was a warm bath that it helped her temp not drop until you reached the vet.
DH is always finding stray kittens at his work. It's very hard not to say, bring them home and I'll take care of them. But with 2 cats and 2 dogs already I just can't take on anymore pets. So, he's always looking for an adoptive home for them. You did the right thing.

Kathy

GOOD NEWS!

I just talked to the vet's office and they said the kitten was responding to the meds and doing very well. I'm so relieved! I also said I'd adopt her if they were looking for a home for her instead of sending her to the Humane Society (although that's where I've gotten 2 of my cats). My SO is going to freak, but I don't think I care! Isn't asking someone how many cats they own kind of personal, anyway???

:)

Marie

PS: Robin, it was definitely a stray. We live near a wooded area and there are several feral cats back there. I think she must have wandered off or her mother rejected her.

You have done a wonderful thing for this little soul and for the Earth...You did what you thought was right for the kittie and that is all you can do...thanks for taking her to the vet...
Hang in there.

jenni

Congratulations Marie :) That's great - and you did the right thing. And after 2 or 3 cats, more is not all that big of a deal (at least that's what I keep telling myself - I have 11 who came to my doorstep as stray cats/kittens).

Your SO will get over it - especially since this is a kitten and the cute factor is so huge - who wouldn't melt under the charms of a little survivor kitty?

arancini

Marie,

You can't take on responsibility for every animal you come across. It's too much for one person. I love animals, with all my heart, and pick up strays all the time. I try to find there owners, and sometimes it is not possible.

You did the right things taking fleas off and washing her down. Just keep calling about this little soul to see how it's doing. That's all you can do.

Please let us know how the kitty is doing.

Oh! I just read the update. Yeah, she is going to be OK, and you are going to adopt her. Congratualtions! You are so wonderful to do this.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

Ladies, thanks for all of your wishes. :) :) I picked up the kitty today and she is SO CUTE!!! She's white with patches of gray and very fluffy, so I think she is going to be long-haired. She's very curious and making me really nervous, lol.

We're still deciding on a name. The kids like Buttercup, the SO thinks she should be Minnie (like Minnie Mouse because her ears are so big). I like Sunshine, and Sunny for short. We'll see.

Thanks again,
Marie
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.