Feedback on Ryka Transition

KC5689

Cathlete
Cathe -or anyone who owns them- can you give me some feedback on these shoes? Specifically if they give you enough support for all of Cathe's high impact workouts. I've read some reviews about them not having enough lateral support. I have the Synergy shoes and like those but saw these on amazon and am thinking of getting them.
KC

Nike Max Air

I just ordered two pair of Ryka and had to return them. The problem I had in both shoes is that the arch is too high. I used to wear Ryka all the time doing Step and found them to have great lateral support. I have been wearing Nike Max Air for all of Cathe's dvds. The need to be replaced but I can't find a pair that provides as much lateral support as this pair of Nike.

Ryka Transition and Transpire

I think the Transition and Transpire are two different cross trainers that Ryka offers.

Right. I know a lot of people are buying -and talking about- the Transpire but I was looking for a white sneaker and saw that Cathe wears these (Transition) in a few of the workouts in the LIS.

The Transition was not supportive enough for me for really any of Cathe's workouts. I contacted Ryka about finding a better option and they agreed this one is a "dance inspired" shoe so it's not really great for anything if you need good support.

Sad, though, as I love the weight and look of the shoes. I wore them instead to teach bootcamp outside, where I mainly just stand there and tell people what to do. :eek:

I recently bought a pair of white and coral Transitions from Naturalizer.com when someone posted about the sale. I couldn't get the Transpire shoes since they didn't have my size so I bought the Transitions instead. I am really picky about shoes now after having some heel pain when I switched from Nike Pegasus to Saucony shoes for a very short period -- I went running and screaming back to the Pegasus ones!

I personally have no plans to use the Rykas for working out since I don't feel they have anywhere near the comfort or support that the Nike Pegasus shoes do. I was hoping they would since the Pegasus shoes are so expensive however they simply don't in my opinion. I do like them as an everyday / walking shoes and even ordered the black and purple pair yesterday. If the Transpires stay on sale and if they ever get them stocked in my size, I might pick up a pair of those too since I do a ton of walking.

I bought four pairs of Rykas recently, two of which were the transpire in two different colors. I really like the transitions in gray and purple for the flexibility factor. I like these a lot for weight training (ie doing static lunges and moves that require your feet to bend), but they are not very good for cardio, IMO. They lack that ultra cushy Ryka feel that we all know and love, particularly in the front of the shoe where is like zero padding.

I also bought the Synergy, which is kind of ugly to be honest but wow what a great shoe. It's kind of a compromise between the old Ryka days (N Gage or Enlight anyone ;-) of great cushioning but without as much of the ugly bulky look.

On another note about the transition, I also bought the teal and lime green and they are SO incredibly stiff! The material used on the front of the shoe is like trying to bend something totally rigid. I love the color but they have quickly become dog walking shoes. Oh well, at least they were only $30.

I have the Ryka N Gage

and they don't get much wear in the summer as it is too hot to do cardio on the top floor with with the AC running. I love them. I have very high arches, so a shoe with high arches is good for me. However, I will be careful of the Transition as I do need lateral support, and I am prone to illiotibial band syndrome.

Thanks for the feddback everyone! I did end up keeping the transitions but like everyone commented, they don't give you a lot of support. I do like the look and feel of them, however. I'm using them for weight training workouts since you don't have a lot of movement with them.

A little late to the game, but... I was in the same spot as you, I bought the Transitions when I couldn't find the Transpires in my size. I like how light and flexible they are. I have worn them three times now - twice for STS (perfect for that) and once for LIC-CSS. I didn't really notice a problem with lateral support, but there's not a lot of fancy step moves in that workout, so I'm not sure it was an adequate test. I'm going to keep them because they are (IMHO) so very comfortable. It's almost like wearing nothing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.